PDA

View Full Version : Creating my own game..need advice

Pink_Paladin
2008-03-20, 07:59 AM
Im working on creating my own game. The first thing I decided is that my game will me medieval. I though about Future or Modern style, but my players asked me medieval.

I played most of the well known RPG and I decided to do a mix of

Legend of Five Rings (for the Roll and Keep system)
Mutants and Masterminds (Point buy system and no class)
Dungeons and Dragons (Main Concept, races and style)
Exalted (Level of power)

Legend of 5 rings got a Clans system that ask you loyalty to a superior. I like that, but in DnD, not every character is Lawful to someone. I like the Advantages/Disadvantages that replace feats or background depending on what game.

Do you guys think that I should simplify to d100 instead of Roll and Keep?

Stiz
2008-03-20, 08:04 AM
I'd say stick with the roll and keep.

and not everyone in L5R is loyal to someone either.... thats the whole point of ronin.

*Edit* My personal opinon is that that the Exalted power lvl is over the top a bit.... are you familure with 7th sea? I've always thought a fantasy world with their system would be great!

Pink_Paladin
2008-03-20, 11:02 AM
I dont know 7th Sea.

I find Exalted level of power nice. I think Ill use the Power Level of Mutants and Masterminds. Its caping the powers you can have and its depend only on the GM. Powers will need to pay a cost in XP.

Ill need to create some races. Because for now I got Human, Elves and Dwarf. I dont like Hobbits and Gnomes are useless....I want to change the Orcs for something else. Maybe Half-Troll or something completly different. I want my game to looks like DnD made by Japanese.

Pronounceable
2008-03-20, 11:18 AM
I've always liked d20 over d100, on the account of it being one die. The less dice rolling around, the better.

I want my game to looks like DnD made by Japanese.

You'll need giant robots then.

Yakk
2008-03-20, 03:15 PM
Flat success metrics are boring.

Try this:
Roll 2d10, and read it both ways as a percentage.

Pair, under your target number: CRITICAL!
Both directions under your target number: Double-success
One direction under your target number: Single-success
Neither direction under your target number: Fail.
Doubles over your target number: Botch

It uses both dice, it gets rid of the entire "but which die is first" issue, and it generates levels of success.

A "50% skill" becomes more reasonable, as it has a 75% chance to get at least a single success, and a 25% chance at a double. In general, "low skill" has an inflated single-success and low double-success.

As you pass 50%, your double-success goes up faster than your single-success.

Ignoring crits/botches, the average number of successes per roll is equal to twice your skill -- ie, 50% averages 1 success per roll, 75% averages 1.5, and 25% averages 0.5.

You do have to make it difficult to get "extremely high skill", as math breaks down as you pass 100%.

If you are aiming for "ultra high power", like exalted, you want a system that scales well.

Die pool systems do this to a certain extent.

Fixed percent or d20 style systems don't do it that well. The game sort of breaks down mathematically as you scale up modifiers unless you are extremely careful.

You could also look at some of the variant die pool rules.

One neat one:
You roll xd10. Then group things into sets.

1d10 = 2
1d10 = 7
1d10 = 2
1d10 = 8
1d10 = 5
1d10 = 7
1d10 = 9
1d10 = 7
1d10 = 10

2x2
3x7
1x5, 1x8, 1x9, 1x0

Read 3 7s as "37".

Each action you do costs you one die from your roll. (Typically you throw away the lowest single die).

So the above becomes:
37 (throw away 0), 22 (throw away 5), 9 (throw away 8).
or 3 actions at 37, 22 and 9 strength.

Pink_Paladin
2008-03-20, 05:30 PM
I find your rule far too complex.

Pink_Paladin
2008-03-21, 07:21 AM
After thinking about what I want, I think Ill just adapt Exalted to a d20 system (like Mutants and Masterminds).

Ill change the universe a little bit because Im not planning to publish my game anyway so I dont realy care about copyrights.