PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 owners, Help.

Shraik
2008-03-20, 01:55 PM
Okay, I was playing Guitar hero last week, and my 360 froze. So, I rebooted it. Froze even quicker that time. Then Red Ring. I unplugged it, called the company, plugged it back in, No more red ring. So I left it alone. Then Tuesday I tried playing Guitar hero. Froze again. Rebooted it and it froze on the 360 menu thingy. And My Control would not link to the system either. I just want to know if there is anyway to fix this that won't require me shipping it into the company, and what might possibly be wrong.

banjo1985
2008-03-20, 02:45 PM
Is it outside it's 12 months warranty? If so there may well be shops that can have a go at repairing it at far lower charges than Microsoft would. It would invalidate your warranty though if it's still fairly new.

Hows the ventilation around the machine? It could well be overheating.Check the fans and see if they're clogged, if not it might be worth buying some more little cooling fans and shoving them under the machine, help keep it cool.

Just a few suggestions, don't know whether any will work. If not the laser or motor could well be on their way out, which means new xbox in many cases.

Farmer42
2008-03-20, 02:55 PM
The warranty is two years now, they bumped it up last year. I had the same problem but it looks like the only option is to send it in. It's not the ventilation. The machine itself crapped out.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-03-20, 03:05 PM
Simple solution: Pray to all that is Lord of the Bricked XboX.
Not
Seriously.
My machine occasionally talks to me in the middle of a game, saying my disk is quite suddenly unreadable. Teach it whos boss, give it a spanking.

In all ACTUAL seriousness, now, I've never sent my 'box in, and I just let it sit there until it calls my name and BEGS to be played again. Works well enough for me.

Emperor Ing
2008-03-20, 03:10 PM
Depends on what your willing to spend.
If you have 6 months, and a lot of money, send it to Microsoft to be fixed

If you have an hour, and a couple of towels, follow the following steps for Red Ring of Death

1) turn the Xbox on, preferably, without a game inside
2) Wrap in multiple towels. The object IS to overheat it greatly.
3) let sit for 20 minutes
4) After that, unwrap it, and let it cool for 20 more minutes. The box should be turned off
5) Should be good as new :smallsmile:

I have the luck to have never happened to try this myself, but its worth a shot at.

Farmer42
2008-03-20, 03:28 PM

Lots of cash? replacing a briked xbox is free, and it only takes four weeks max. I'm on my third 'box, and she's getting sent in this weekend. It really isn't that bad.

Pwenet
2008-03-20, 04:41 PM
Lots of cash? replacing a briked xbox is free, and it only takes four weeks max. I'm on my third 'box, and she's getting sent in this weekend. It really isn't that bad.

As a 360 owner who is on his 4th box (1st one was DOA, same with #2, #3 lasted a week till the DVD Drive died, #4 is going strong) I have to say it is sad that we are putting up with this level of poor construction/design in a product where we casually talk about replacing the unit cause they die to often :smalltongue:

That being said I've been thinking of replacing mine to get HDMI cable for it and cause it also thinks that randomly perfectly fine discs are unreadable.

Syka
2008-03-20, 04:59 PM
:smalleek: Keep my boyfriend away from this thread. As we speak he is picking up an Xbox 360 to replace his PS2 that died a few months back.

I don't even want to imagine what his reaction will be if it's DOA....>>

Cheers,
Syka

Koga
2008-03-20, 07:00 PM
That's what you get for getting an X-Box. The Koga does not feel sorry for you!!!!

Wii ftw!

thubby
2008-03-20, 08:02 PM
well of course you wouldn't, you 1/2 baked emo villain who was thoroughly mauled by 4kids. (picks on avatar)

in all seriousness, they run hot, ventilation is a big deal, but once you get the rrod, your only options are the towel trick or getting it repaired.

Koga
2008-03-20, 11:18 PM
Touche' lol!

"A super rare card?! That's just vague enough to be the blue eyes white dragon!"

Icewalker
2008-03-20, 11:57 PM
@^: Hehehe, indeed.

If you have an hour, and a couple of towels, follow the following steps for Red Ring of Death

1) turn the Xbox on, preferably, without a game inside
2) Wrap in multiple towels. The object IS to overheat it greatly.
3) let sit for 20 minutes
4) After that, unwrap it, and let it cool for 20 more minutes. The box should be turned off
5) Should be good as new :smallsmile:

I have the luck to have never happened to try this myself, but its worth a shot at.

That sounds like a really bad idea...and it would most likely void your warranty...

thubby
2008-03-21, 01:55 AM
@^: Hehehe, indeed.

That sounds like a really bad idea...and it would most likely void your warranty...

it does work, my friend did it to wait out the last weeks before the elite model came out, then traded it in.
unfortunately it is damaging to the xbox, you'll have to do it more frequently after each use.
as to the warranty, who would know? its not like your breaking a working machine anyway, you're duct taping it to fix a problem they caused.

valadil
2008-03-21, 10:57 AM
If the 360 is already RRODing, adding ventilation now won't help. The design flaw in all early 360s is that as the machine heats up the video card warps and bends. Eventually it warps so much that it rips off its own cooling fan.

There are solutions available on google. I can't vouch for any of them. Some probably do work, but if you still have a warranty I'd go with that first.

The towel method sounds like it's trying to force the 360 to go red ring itself. Even though it is dangerous for the machine, I don't think there would be any evidence that you'd wrapped the machine with towels, so you probably won't actually void the warranty. If you're going to send it in anyway, it may be worth a try, but I wouldn't expect it to work.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-03-22, 04:04 PM
The towel method sounds like it's trying to force the 360 to go red ring itself. Even though it is dangerous for the machine, I don't think there would be any evidence that you'd wrapped the machine with towels, so you probably won't actually void the warranty. If you're going to send it in anyway, it may be worth a try, but I wouldn't expect it to work.

The towel trick does work temporarily (I've never tried it, but I've seen it on some fairly reputable sources), but you should still send it in. That's the only permanent fix.

Thiel
2008-03-22, 06:37 PM
:smalleek: Keep my boyfriend away from this thread. As we speak he is picking up an Xbox 360 to replace his PS2 that died a few months back.

I don't even want to imagine what his reaction will be if it's DOA....>>

Cheers,
Syka

He managed to kill a PS2? I'm impressed. Seriously, they're build like miniature versions of Fort Knox. So far mine has been covered in snow (Snowstorm + open window = bad idea), been vomited on (Don't ask), run for six weeks on end (Couldn't find my memorycard), gotten too hot to touch (dropped a bag chair on it.) and been dropped ten feet onto concrete floor without cover (I needed to tweak the cogs so that I could play blue disks) and it still runs perfectly.

Syka
2008-03-22, 10:09 PM
The laser wouldn't consistently read discs. As in, 1 out of 30 tries would work. It's well out of warranty (I think it was 6-7 years old) so him and his dad tried to fix it to no avail. So he got his xBox (which works well, so far).

Should I, like, bow down and pray to your playstation or something? Haha.

Cheers,
Syka

Shraik
2008-03-22, 10:13 PM
He managed to kill a PS2? I'm impressed. Seriously, they're build like miniature versions of Fort Knox. So far mine has been covered in snow (Snowstorm + open window = bad idea), been vomited on (Don't ask), run for six weeks on end (Couldn't find my memorycard), gotten too hot to touch (dropped a bag chair on it.) and been dropped ten feet onto concrete floor without cover (I needed to tweak the cogs so that I could play blue disks) and it still runs perfectly.

DAMN!! Makes it seem like they should make planes out of old PS2's so they just don't break

thubby
2008-03-23, 12:11 AM
DAMN!! Makes it seem like they should make planes out of old PS2's so they just don't break

what did you think they meant when they said "black box"?
:smallbiggrin:

rankrath
2008-03-23, 04:04 PM

lucky. Three days half submerged in water killed mine completely.

Thiel
2008-03-23, 04:27 PM
lucky. Three days half submerged in water killed mine completely.
If you still have it you might be able to make it work again.
Since most of the important components are waterproof you'll probably only have to clean the connectors.

The laser wouldn't consistently read discs. As in, 1 out of 30 tries would work. It's well out of warranty (I think it was 6-7 years old) so him and his dad tried to fix it to no avail. So he got his xBox (which works well, so far).

Should I, like, bow down and pray to your playstation or something? Haha.

Cheers,
Syka

Did it do this with all disks or only with some. If the latter then you/he should check the disks. If they're blue, black or red adjusting the laser might do the job. There should be online tutorials on how to do this. Avoid those that requires an Oscilloscope since they deal with another problem.

If it's the first option it might help to clean the lens. Open the casing and use a piece of cotton.

rankrath
2008-03-23, 04:44 PM
If you still have it you might be able to make it work again.
Since most of the important components are waterproof you'll probably only have to clean the connectors.

nope. Insurance paid for a new one, the only thing I lost was a multi-tab.

Syka
2008-03-23, 09:41 PM
It was all discs (he already knew about the blue disc thing). He did open it up and try to clean it and it didn't work. I felt so bad for him, but he's happy with the Xbox and I already told him he can have free reign on my PS2 for all his old games (he's got an addiction to Dynasty Warriors). So, we'll basically be sharing systems (and I'm not complaining since I don't have enough money for an expensive new system :)).

Cheers,
Syka

Pwenet
2008-03-28, 03:22 PM
Dear Xbox 360 #4.

You were a good unit, lasting far longer than numbers 1, 2 and 3. And yet you ability to constantly crash saying that brand new discs without a speck of dust on them were "dirty" and you could not read them, plus no HDMI port, well sadly today is the day you are retired.

Hello Xbox 360 #5.

You are brand new, with a HDMI port. You were cheaper than the unit you replaced, and after buying a nice HDMI cable for you the store that sold you too me gave me a Best Buy card with $0.01 on it. May you serve me well in the years ahead.

Dumbledore lives
2008-04-01, 03:53 AM
I'm lucky, I've had my 360 for about 8 months now and nothing has happened to it and it is in fine working condition. Though now my Wii actually overheats unless I have the air conditioning on, which makes it way too cold in here. I'm not sure why either, as it worked fine back in America. My 360 is great though, no hardware manufactures at all, though occasionally it won't read a disk, then I take it out and put it back in and it works fine.

Soveliss
2008-04-14, 06:23 PM
I’m on my 3rd Xbox 360 and it has mood swings some days it works fine other days it only allows certain games and some days it only shows the three red of death

perpetualnoise
2008-04-15, 01:37 AM

3rd? damn, i have an originaly 360 i got the christmas it was released and havent had anything worse then an "unreadable disk" crap... but then again... for having it for so long and only having a gamerscore of about 7k, means i don't play it to much