PDA

View Full Version : I'm Afraid I Can't Do That, Dave [Creature]

The Demented One
2008-03-20, 04:21 PM
Ruach
Size/Type: Large Construct (Living Construct, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 10d8+50 (95 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: Fly 10 ft. (2 squares) (perfect)
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +12 natural), touch 8, flatfooted 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+14
Attack: Tentacle +9 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Two Tentacles +9 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Ego drain, feeding tentacles, psionics
Special Qualities: Blindsight 30 ft., damage reduction 10/adamantine, fast healing 1, fortification, living construct traits, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +7
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 8, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Autohypnosis +17, Concentration +18, Knowledge (Psionics) +17, Knowledge (The Planes) +17, Psicraft +17, Sense Motive +17
Feats: Psionic Endowment, Extend Power, Psionic Meditation, Quicken Power
Environment: Xen’drik
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: By class level
Level Adjustment: –

Hidden throughout dungeons and caverns with Xen’drik are the Ruachim, bizarre relics of an ancient time. They lie dormant for the most part, but all it takes to awaken one is for a foolish adventurer to disturb its rest. An awakened Ruach is almost always hostile, immediately attacking every living thing it can perceive. The Ruachim is thought to have been originally created by ancient inhabitants of Xen’drik, though whether these were the giants or another race is a question of debate. A Ruach at first appears to be nothing more than an elongated metallic spheroid with a crystalline “eye” on its front, but once approached, it reveals itself to be far more. The Ruach’s adamantine exterior conceals its organic innards–two long, fan-like tentacles that extend from it to grab its prey, and a maw full of tiny feeding tentacles. In addition, Ruachim also display power psionic abilities, suggesting either a massive brain-like organ or a powerful psionic energy source at their core.

Ego Drain (Ps)
A Ruach can use the ego whip power as a psi-like ability, manifester level 10th. For every point of damage dealt, the Ruach regains two power points. Once a Ruach has used this ability, it must wait 5 rounds before it can use it again.

Feeding Tentacles (Ex)
A Ruach’s maw is filled with thin tentacles tipped with a razor-toothed, circular mouth, which it uses to feed. When it grapples a creature, these tentacles emerge to consume the vitality of it. Whenever a Ruach successfully makes a grapple check to damage an opponent, it also uses its feeding tentacles, dealing 1d4 Constitution damage to the creature unless it makes a DC 18 Fortitude save. The save is Constitution-based. For each point of Constitution damage dealt, the Ruach gains 5 temporary hp, which last for 1 hour.

Psionics
A Ruach manifests psionic powers as a 10th-level Psion. A Ruach receives 108 power points each day. The save DC against a Ruach’s power is equal to 14 + the power’s level. Some Ruachim do not manifest powers as Psions, but as Wilders or other types of manifesting classes. Simply change the amount of power points and powers known as appropriate for the class. It may be appropriate to give such Ruachim some abilities of that class, such as the Wilder’s wild surge.

Typical Powers Known:
1st–detect psionics, energy ray, inertial armor, mind thrust, vigor. 2nd–concealing amorpha, energy stun, id insinuation, specified energy adaptation. 3rd–body adjustment, dispel psionics, psionic blast, telekinetic thrust. 4th–mindwipe, personality parasite, psionic dimension door, telekinetic maneuver. 5th–catapsi, ectoplasmic shambler, power resistance, psychic crush.

Fortification (Ex)
Whenever a Ruach would be dealt extra damage from a sneak attack, critical hit, or a similar source of precision-based damage, there is a 50% chance that the extra damage is negated.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-20, 04:27 PM
I'd reduce the casting to level 9, and it's otherwise fine. The caster is going to Solid Fog the ruach anyway.

Also, I'd remove fortification or boost it to full, since it's otherwise pretty much useless. A Rogue is going to have Penetrating strike anyway, and the chance to null a critical is too low for full BAB attackers, since most critmonkeys use two weapons.

Stycotl
2008-03-20, 06:08 PM
cool. weird. not how i normally picture a constuct, but that doesn't really say anything at all. i like the story potential of them in particular.

off the top of my head i don't see why it needs to be lowered to a 9th level manifester. maybe you, azerian, could explain why you think it does. either way, i don't se it making much of a difference. 9th and 10th still access 5th level powers if i'm remembering correctly.

aaron out.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-20, 10:23 PM
Simple. Extra powers, and ESPECIALLY extra power points and manifester level. Being able to squeeze a little extra boost as a wizard would be hardly important, but as a psion, it's no joke.

Stycotl
2008-03-20, 11:07 PM
i still don't see how that is detrimental to the construct. i think it fits it fine. if you are thinks that this will bump it up into another cr category, then i could understand, but i don't think that it is that big of a boost.