PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Parts

Enguhl
2008-03-20, 04:23 PM
So from a dragon you can use its claws/teeth/bones to make weapons. Its hide to make armor/shields. I'm sure any DM would allow the use of horns for weapons as well...
Is there anything to do with innards? Don't want to waste anything ya' know.

Nohwl
2008-03-20, 04:30 PM
you might be able to use the intestines as rope, and you could eat all the meat from the dragons bones.

Yakk
2008-03-20, 04:34 PM
String a dragon-bone bow with it.

Make a lute using them.

Potions, using various organs as ingredients.

tyckspoon
2008-03-20, 04:35 PM
Dragon bits are traditionally good as magic components. That's not much use in standard 3.5, however, since crafting components are abstracted into a GP cost and any 'non-costly' components are assumed to be found in a normal spell component pouch. There are some variant/optional rules that would let you make use of dragon giblets; look into the power components/metamagic components rules. Draconomicon probably also has suggestions for what miscellaneous pieces of dragon might be used for.

The Faceless
2008-03-20, 04:46 PM
Eyes would make good tops for staffs

A dragons heart could form the core of a unique golem

Make the wings into a flying device.

Blood could make a good component in potions.

If all else fails, just flog the organs and such to an arcane university for a huge markup and sell the flesh to the royal caterers so they can put on a unique feast for the king.

Prometheus
2008-03-20, 05:09 PM
I guess that is a variety of Survival, Knowledge, Craft, and Profession checks; Appraise or Gather Information lets you know what to sell to who and for how much.

If I were the DM I'd let it do all sorts of wondrous things and than have dragon's destroy the town and attack the players in vengeance.

In Sigurd, a norse legend:
-bathing in Dragon's Blood offers protection
-drinking Dragon's Blood lets one understand the language of birds
-eating a Dragon's Heart is the greatest, offering wisdom and knowledge
So there's precedent there, but I'd make the players undergo a Fortitude save to receive any benefits that were that potent.

I imagine the wings would be more lightweight but almost as strong as the rest of the skin, I'd let it make armor that was lighter or really awesome sails. Dragons are a big creature with a strong digestive system. I'd warrant some of its organ can be used to procure a powerful poison.

Collin152
2008-03-20, 05:25 PM
Seems the Draconis Fundamentalis would be a good organ to harvest for magical purposes...

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-20, 05:40 PM
I remember someone mentioning that the Draconis Fundamentalis of an old or older Gold Dragon can be used to substitute the XP component of Wish spell. Not sure where though. :smallannoyed:

streakster
2008-03-20, 05:53 PM
Draconic Grafts can be quite nice. I forget the book, though...

Half-blood
2008-03-20, 07:51 PM
I always imagined that you can take the juices of a dragon's Digestive tract, mix it with alcohol, (Or something similar) And make Dragons Breath! (Instantly disintegrates you upon drinking it.):smallsmile:
But As said Here (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040904)(Said by black mage, Technically 4th panel) That Dragons are quite literally made of magic Items. (Talk about munchkining!) and the Thing in the dragons throat would be wonderful for a Mage aspiring to make a Staff of fire or something similar.

F.L.
2008-03-20, 09:15 PM
Sausage, haggis, tripe.

Magical balloons to make balloon animals from? Waterskins?

Mando Knight
2008-03-20, 10:57 PM
String a dragon-bone bow with it.

What? You can make a bow from bones in D&D? ...that wouldn't seem to work...

The dragon's wishbone might be one of the luckiest items in existence, provided that dragons have one...

Dragon innards should be the arcane components of uber-powerful spells...

Enguhl
2008-03-21, 06:51 AM
I remember reading (in Draconomicon?) that Dragon eyes had really hard lenses, perhaps make goggles with them for eye protection. Anyone confirm this?
Also (not at home and don't have my books with me) does dragon hide armor add energy resistance of the dragons type?
And what is this Draconis Fundamentalis?

Ashes
2008-03-21, 07:57 AM

Of course you can. You can do that in the real world too. It's what a lot of composite bows are made of.

Funkyodor
2008-03-21, 08:20 AM
Or DM had Old+ Dragons have a wish bone that could grant an actuall wish, with a small catch. 2 people had to pull on it and say their wishes out loud. The one that had the larger part got the wish (D20 rolls, highest wins). In the case of a tie, the bone split directly down the middle and neither gets their wish. This unfortunate situation happened more than you'd think for some reason...

SamTheCleric
2008-03-21, 08:22 AM
Take the parts to your local person proficient in Draconic Grafts... All sorts of fun things you can find in Races of the Dragon

Telonius
2008-03-21, 08:50 AM
Well, according to Doc Terminus:

"Dragon liver can cure a cold
Dragon powder grows hair
With dragon blood you'll never grow old
Dragon cartilage keeps you thin
Dragon fat is for burns
A dragon tear will clear up your skin."

Sampi
2008-03-21, 10:29 AM
It tastes like chicken.

A big chicken.

Eat it.

Collin152
2008-03-21, 04:01 PM
And what is this Draconis Fundamentalis?

The organ what serves as the generator for the dragon's elemental powers, and just about everything else supernatural about them.

Enguhl
2008-03-21, 04:31 PM
The organ what serves as the generator for the dragon's elemental powers, and just about everything else supernatural about them.

Woah, neat...
<_<
>_>
I have three...

Yakk
2008-03-21, 06:37 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_bow

Composite bows are, basically, make from 3 layers.

A strong-under-tension outer, a wooden core, and a strong-under-compression inner layer (where outer/inner is with respect to the archer -- ie, outer is the far side, inner the side facing the archer).

Both Horn and Bone are decent for the inside part. I'd expect dragon sinew would be great for the far side. Then wood for the middle.

bosssmiley
2008-03-22, 05:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_bow

Composite bows are, basically, make from 3 layers.

A strong-under-tension outer, a wooden core, and a strong-under-compression inner layer (where outer/inner is with respect to the archer -- ie, outer is the far side, inner the side facing the archer).

Both Horn and Bone are decent for the inside part. I'd expect dragon sinew would be great for the far side. Then wood for the middle.

Magic wood. From Ents. Or, if you're a real git, a Dryad's tree. Have the poor spirit follow you around weeping as you use her home/spiritual heart as part of your preferred weapon.

Also, string the bow with dragon sinew and make arrowheads from sharpened scales. Your quiver? Made from dragonhide of course.

You know the old saw about Red Indian tribes using every part of the buffalo except the grunt? You can bet there are cultures in D&D do the same with every magic beastie there is. :smallcool:

Collin152
2008-03-22, 05:10 PM
Magic wood. From Ents. Or, if you're a real git, a Dryad's tree. Have the poor spirit follow you around weeping as you use her home/spiritual heart as part of your preferred weapon.

Also, string the bow with dragon sinew and make arrowheads from sharpened scales. Your quiver? Made from dragonhide of course.

You know the old saw about Red Indian tribes using every part of the buffalo except the grunt? You can bet there are cultures in D&D do the same with every magic beastie there is. :smallcool:

Ressurection.
"What the hell did you do to my armor? It's trying to eat me again!"

Jack_Simth
2008-03-23, 09:28 AM
Draconic Grafts can be quite nice. I forget the book, though...

Races of the Dragon, I believe. Needs a live dragon egg, though, not a dragon corpse.

Rumda
2008-03-23, 09:57 AM
well the hearts can be used as the hide can be used for armour as already stated,vile spell components (book of vile darkness), its blood can be made in to blood elixirs, the bones and fangs can be made into weapons (draconomicon), eggs can be used to make draconic grafts (races of the dragon) the scales can be turned into various magic items (dragon magic), and its flesh and sinew can be used just as any other creatures, or you can just keep the whole corpse and either sell it to a necromancer to animate or animate it yourself if you so wish, or sell its skeleton or use it to make a dragonbone golem, or just stuff it and keep it a a trophy,

Anukuta
2008-03-23, 09:59 AM
So from a dragon you can use its claws/teeth/bones to make weapons. Its hide to make armor/shields. I'm sure any DM would allow the use of horns for weapons as well...
Is there anything to do with innards? Don't want to waste anything ya' know.

I think I saw some primitive weapon rules in Frostburn. With mamooth horns and/or tigerskull clubs and stuff like that.

Maerok
2008-03-23, 10:31 AM
Dragon-gut tennis racket.