PDA

View Full Version : A Room with a View

gareth
2008-03-20, 04:37 PM
The "Magnificent Mansion" spell seems a little claustrophobic to me. If I used it, I'd want to have some kind of view out of the windows, even if it's only an illusionary landscape. Since this wouldn't have any affect in game mechanics, would it be acceptable to treat this as a free part of the spell? Or would it be necessary to set up permanent illusion spells to create the effect?

Falrin
2008-03-20, 04:45 PM
As a ropetrick basicly gets you the same effect, but witout style, I'd say go ahead.

Let the sun shine
Give them a small parc for cosy walks
A magnificent view with beatyfull birds singing the most beeatifull serenade.

Zincorium
2008-03-20, 04:48 PM
Well, it doesn't say it lacks windows, although I suppose if you're of the mind that windows are entrances it could be construed that it does not.

In any case, the house is not actually on the plane itself. So what would the windows look out on? If you're talking about a scrying effect from the little bit of extradimensional space the mansion occupies to the corresponding locations on the plane you cast it from, an argument could easily be made for including it. Possibly at the cost of more expensive components or something similar.

Prometheus
2008-03-20, 04:52 PM
The biggest problems with windows is the idea that they would A) lead back to the outside world or B) permit spying from inside the mansion or C) change the mechanics of the entrance. If you don't do ay of those things, you're safe.

SadisticFishing
2008-03-20, 05:09 PM
Just toss in illusionary windows on the inside (only). No real effect whatsoever except making it less dreary.

gareth
2008-03-20, 08:10 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm going for. Of course, if you can make a illusionary scene out the window you can make an illusionary 50 feet of walls and an illusionary ceiling, on top of the real 10-foot one. That should open the place out.

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-20, 08:37 PM
Alternatively, it has windows, but you don't want to look out of them. Because what you see is so alien and horrible it'll make your mind SNAP like a twig.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-20, 08:39 PM
Alternatively, it has windows, but you don't want to look out of them. Because what you see is so alien and horrible it'll make your mind SNAP like a twig.See, now you're confusing Mordekain's Magnificent Mansion with Cthulhu's Crazed Cottage. They're similar spells, but the differences can be killer.

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-20, 08:43 PM
See, now you're confusing Mordekain's Magnificent Mansion with Cthulhu's Crazed Cottage. They're similar spells, but the differences can be killer.

See, now I want to make up rules for that spell.