PDA

View Full Version : [oots] 100th comic "without" Roy coming

moret
2008-03-20, 07:24 PM
The Order of the Stick comic is two numbers away from the hundredth strip since Roy got X's in his eyes. Hang on there Roy, don't roll another character yet!

Did you ever had a character long gone resurrected?

kpenguin
2008-03-20, 07:28 PM
Shouldn't this be in the actual Order of the Stick board?

As for myself, I've never actually had a character that went long without ressurection. Either they were raised within a single small sidquest or they were killed off for good.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-03-20, 09:43 PM
100 comics? Wow, time really flies. It seems like only a few months ago that Elan sang "Oh Buddy Roy."

Callista
2008-03-20, 09:56 PM
It *was* only a few months ago. :smallbiggrin:

In a D&D game, this would be something like the DM saying, "Okay, three months pass... what are your characters doing in the meantime?"

Demented
2008-03-21, 02:53 AM
For 100 out of over 500 comics, the main character has been dead?
Interesting comic indeed.

sun_tzu
2008-03-21, 04:20 AM

Yeah. Like how, by the time Haley regained her speech, she'd been unable to talk for nearly a third of the comic's run.

OverWilliam
2008-03-21, 04:55 AM
I bet nobody's counted to see how long it was that Elan was without a lute. :smallbiggrin:

pendell
2008-03-21, 07:46 AM
Looks like Charles Phipps was partly right. He believed Roy wasn't *Ever* going to come back. In fact, it seems likely he will, but the Giant is giving him a long rest in order to focus on the rest of the order and give us a little split-party action.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

recluso
2008-03-21, 12:31 PM
Moret: Hang on there Roy, don't roll another character

Roy: yeah, OK. Maybe I'll roll up a gnome illusionist

Suddenly a weird connection.

Supposed Roy's bored player tries to help the OOTS and rolled up a (temporary?) character, trying a GNOME and is looking for a RP appropriate way to hook up with OOTS. To be interesting needs to have something usefull - he manages to get a donkey from the GM.
Finding durkon/v/elan on see is more difficult, so he goes azure city.
Now a story to be near azure city and to make it logical he wants join the oots for a while... a merchant who doesn't know Azure City was conquered and has to go back north.

quiet1mi
2008-03-21, 12:48 PM
Suddenly a weird connection.

Supposed Roy's bored player tries to help the OOTS and rolled up a (temporary?) character, trying a GNOME and is looking for a RP appropriate way to hook up with OOTS. To be interesting needs to have something usefull - he manages to get a donkey from the GM.
Finding durkon/v/elan on see is more difficult, so he goes azure city.
Now a story to be near azure city and to make it logical he wants join the oots for a while... a merchant who doesn't know Azure City was conquered and has to go back north.

that is hilarious.... thinking about Roy's reaction... "cool I have a donkey,I am going to see my friends and all I have to do is RP a little I can live with that.... oh here comes my friends (I don't want to meta-game otherwise the Dm will kill me, so here goes RPing)" splat! A knife in the face and a stolen donkey later ... Roy is back in the heavens fuming in anger...

Qov
2008-03-21, 01:26 PM
Supposed Roy's bored player tries to help the OOTS and rolled up [...] a merchant who doesn't know Azure City was conquered and has to go back north.

That's awesome. Rich would never show that, because while he plays with the fourth wall, he explicitly doesn't acknowledge that PCs have players. Therefore I'm just going to add that thought to that encounter, as if it were true, to make that strip all the funnier for me.

Thanks!

Spiky
2008-03-21, 02:50 PM

Whoopee. The main antagonist has been dead for all 541.

The gF
2008-03-21, 07:39 PM
That's awesome. Rich would never show that, because while he plays with the fourth wall, he explicitly doesn't acknowledge that PCs have players. Therefore I'm just going to add that thought to that encounter, as if it were true, to make that strip all the funnier for me.

Thanks!
No, he's said explicitly that there ARE no players.

TheGrimace
2008-03-22, 12:24 AM
Whoopee. The main antagonist has been dead for all 541.

Spiky...
I just gotta say it man.

You hack at life.

Demented
2008-03-22, 01:44 AM
I believe 'dead' and 'undead' are mutually exclusive conditions.

Unless someone get into the central computer and hacked the variables... I hate it when they do that.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-22, 07:38 AM
I hate it when my WiFi drops off like that! I write something, click submit, and everything I write vanishes over the electronic frontier!

Anyways, what I tried to say was:

Rich has been writing the last two story arcs on 180 page sections, although he did go four pages over this time. If Rich decides to bring Roy back at the end of the current book, Roy could remain dead until around 660.

I hope everyone gets back together before the end of the fourth book, but Elan said they could be separated for a long time. I hope this isn't like Lord of the Rings, where Frodo and Sam don't rejoin until the end of the entire saga!

Emanick
2008-03-22, 10:01 AM
I hate it when my WiFi drops off like that! I write something, click submit, and everything I write vanishes over the electronic frontier!

Anyways, what I tried to say was:

Rich has been writing the last two story arcs on 180 page sections, although he did go four pages over this time. If Rich decides to bring Roy back at the end of the current book, Roy could remain dead until around 660.

I hope everyone gets back together before the end of the fourth book, but Elan said they could be separated for a long time. I hope this isn't like Lord of the Rings, where Frodo and Sam don't rejoin until the end of the entire saga!

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you lost a heck of a lot of NP (Nerd Points) there.
Frodo and Sam are one of the few characters who are together the entire time (except for part of the last chapter of Two Towers and the first chapter of Book VI).:smalltongue:

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-22, 10:29 AM
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you lost a heck of a lot of NP (Nerd Points) there.
Frodo and Sam are one of the few characters who are together the entire time (except for part of the last chapter of Two Towers and the first chapter of Book VI).:smalltongue:

I reread my post, and what I meant to say was "where Frodo and Sam don't rejoin with the survivors of the Fellowship until after the bulk of the story is over." :smallredface: There, that is clearer.

Right now, I'm assuming at least two to three more books, one to retake Azure City and recapture and secure the Azure City rift, then then a book apiece for the last two gates. I'm also thinking Nale's magic-user status might give him some advantages at Girard's Gate, while Xykon's unkillable status will help him at Kraagor's Gate.

Saint Nil
2008-03-22, 10:44 AM
Wow, amazing that Roy has been dead for so long. I wonder if Rich will make a joke about it in the comic. Also, Another reason for Eugene to get onto Roy:

Eugene: IF you were a wizard like Iwanted, you could be alive to fight Xykon as a lich! or, not really alive

:roy: If I was a lich I'd be evil!

Eugene: And I'd be in heaven

dish
2008-03-22, 02:13 PM
The Giant is...well...a giant. He takes risks in his storytelling that would daunt many a lesser-accomplished writer. Hayley's lack of speech was eventually given a satisfactory conclusion. I'm sure Roy's death will also conclude properly.

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-03-24, 07:52 PM
actually, considering haley and belkar are finally leaving the limits of the cloister spell, i'm thinking the reunion of the Order of the Stick is close at hand