PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class Idea: Unbound Master of Force (PEACH)

GammaPaladin
2008-03-20, 11:36 PM
This is an attempt at a sort of Jade Phoenix Psion, with a distinctly monkish flavor. You can think of it as a ToB Fist of Zuoken, or Psionic Enlightened Fist as well.

The idea is an unarmed martial artist who has mastered the art of using psychokinetic force in combat. I tried to ensure that the best path to entry is Unarmed Swordsage/Kineticist.

I just whipped it up in a couple hours, and most of the special abilities are similar to the JPM or Enlightened Fist. I'm interested in what comments or suggestions people might have :)

Unbound Master of Force
"Neither your lies nor your walls can save you from me. I am an irresistible force, and nothing can bind me."

Long ago, an evil man became lord of a relatively prosperous city. He was a selfish man, and he starved the common people to line his own pockets. The local monks spoke out against him, and the governor quietly falsified evidence to make it seem as though the monks were plotting treason against the nation. The monastery was destroyed, the monks who resisted slaughtered, and the rest imprisoned.

Most of the monks died in the governor's dungeons, but one survived. He was incensed at the wrongful treatment of himself and his fellow monks, and as each of his remaining friends slowly died in the dungeon, he became more and more determined to make things right. He meditated every moment of the day, and trained in his cell. The guards laughed at him, telling him his training was futile, as he would never see daylight again.

Unbeknownst to all but the monk, who's name has been lost to history, he was slowly developing his inner power, waiting for the moment the dungeon could no longer hold him.

Years passed, but though his body became thin and frail, the force of his spirit grew. At long last, deep in meditation, a spark bloomed in his mind, and he felt his being suffused with energy. He opened his eyes and stood. He strode to the door of his cell, and it burst from it's hinges at the lightest touch of his fingers.

The guards who attempted to impede him were flung aside like rag dolls, and no door or wall could slow his step.

The governor's guards attempted to stop him as he advanced on the palace, but though he was wounded more than once in the process of forcing his way through them, he never broke his stride.

Finally, after blasting the doors of the governor's room completely from their frame, he fell to his knees. He spread his arms, and it's said there was a smile on his face as the force exploded from him and the palace ceiling was brought down on the governor and himself.

His writings were discovered years later in the ruins of the dungeon, and the order of the Unbound Masters of Force was born.

Requirements
To become an Unbound Master of Force, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Alignment: Any nonevil.
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks
Maneuvers: Must know one Desert Wind and one Setting Sun maneuver
Powers: Must be able to manifest Control Object
Special: Must not be proficient with any armor.

Class Skills
Balance, Concentration, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Tumble, Psicraft, Knowledge (Psionics)

Hit Die
D8

{table=head]Level |BaB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Known Man.|Readied Man.|Known Stances|Special |Manifesting
1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|
1|
0|
0|Force of Will, Martial Training|--

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|
0|
0|
0|Forceful Stance|+1 Level of Manifesting Class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|
1|
1|
0|--|+1 Level of Manifesting Class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|
0|
0|
0|Irresistable Force|+1 Level of Manifesting Class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|
1|
0|
1|--|+1 Level of Manifesting Class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|
0|
1|
0|Explosive Force Stance|--

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|
1|
0|

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|
0|
0|
0|Master of Force|+1 Level of Manifesting Class

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|
1|
1|

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|
0|
0|
0|Unbound Force|+1 Level of Manifesting Class[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
The Unbound Master of Force gains no proficiency with any armor or weapon.

Maneuvers
Upon entry into the Unbound Master of Force prestige class, the player must choose two disciplines available to a swordsage. At each odd numbered level, the player may choose one new maneuver from one of those disciplines. At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, the Unbound Master of Force gains 1 additional readied maneuver.

Stances Known
The Unbound Master of Force gains one new stance at level 5.

Manifesting
At each level except first and sixth, the Unbound Master of Force gains powers and power points as if he had gained a level in a pre-existing manifesting class, and the character's manifester level increases by one. The character gains none of the other benefits that class would have gained. If the character is a member of more than one manifesting class, the player must choose which class to advance.

Force of Will
As a swift action, the character may spend one power point to gain a +4 bonus on an unarmed attack, as well as 1d8 bonus force damage. Each additional 2 power points increase the bonus damage by 1d8, to a maximum of 9d8. His fists remain charged with this energy until he successfully lands a blow, or the end of his turn. If he fails to connect with an attack before the end of his turn, the power points are lost with no effect.

Martial Training
Unbound Master of Force levels stack with Swordsage and Monk levels for the purpose of determining unarmed damage. Additionally, an Unbound Master of Force adds his levels in the class to his Monk levels for the purpose of determining his AC bonus. If the Unbound Master of Force has no monk levels, he gains an AC bonus as a monk of his class level, as long as he wears no armor.

Forceful Stance
As a swift action, the Unbound Master of Force can forgo the normal benefits of any martial stance, and instead gain the benefits of Forceful Stance. These benefits last as long as he maintains his stance.
While in Forceful Stance, the Unbound Master of Force's manifester level increases by 1, and he gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC. When entering this stance, the Unbound Master of Force may choose to utilize his psionic power to gain damage resistance. If he spends 1 power point, he gains DR 1/-. For every 2 additional points he spends, this increases by 1, to a maximum of his level in the Master of Force class. This damage resistance is lost if the Unbound Master of Force loses his psionic focus for any reason.

Irresistible Force
As a free action, The Unbound Master of Force may choose to deliver the Telekinetic Thrust power with any unarmed attack. This power may be used only for the purpose of knocking the target of the attack away from the manifester. It may not be used to hurl any other object. If the target of the attack strikes a wall or other object, he takes the 1d6 damage normal for this power. The Unbound Master of Force must pay the normal power point cost of the power when using this ability.

Explosive Force Stance
As a swift action, the Unbound Master of Force may forgo the benefits of his martial stance (Or Forceful Stance), and take on the Explosive Force Stance. While in the Explosive Force Stance, the Unbound Master of Force's manifester level increases by 3 for all Psychokinesis powers.
If the Unbound Master of Force chooses to expend power points when taking on this stance, he creates a psychokinetic burst centered on himself. All creatures within 10 feet take 1d6 force damage per round, at the beginning of the user's turn. Additionally, when this effect is initially manifested, all creatures within its radius are affected as if by the Telekinetic Thrust power. If they fail their saves they are thrown away from the user in a straight line. Every 2 additional power points the Unbound Master of Force expends on this ability increase the damage by 1d6, to a maximum of 9d6.
Furthermore, the Unbound Master of Force gains resistance 10 versus Force effects.
The resistance bonus and damaging aura fade after 1 minute, but the manifester level increase lasts as long as the stance is maintained.

Master of Force
At level 8, the character has attained the rank of a true Unbound Master of Force. When manifesting any power which does elemental energy damage, the Unbound Master of Force may choose to expend an additional power point to convert this to Force damage. All other effects of the power remain unchanged.

Unbound Force
As a swift action, the Unbound Master of Force may expend 30 power points to do 20d6 force damage to all creatures and objects within a 20 foot radius of himself. Any restraints, bonds, or locked doors, or other means of containing the user are destroyed automatically, unless made of adamantine. Any opponent grappling the user is automatically hurled as if by the telekinetic thrust power, with no save.

Playing an Unbound Master of Force
The Unbound Masters are dedicated to the defeat of unjust authorities everywhere. They are driven to master martial and psychokinetic force, to achieve their ideal, the state of being unbound. They tend towards chaotic alignments, but lawful Masters are not unknown. What they have in common is a complete devotion to justice, and the defeat of unjust organizations.

An Unbound Master is utterly implacable in the pursuit of any chosen goal. Once he sets his sights on something, he moves towards it steadily and without falter. In combat a Master generally chooses a single target and directs a crushing assault against him until he is defeated. He uses his psychokinetic abilities to cast aside any who attempt to distract him from his goal.

Outside of combat, Unbound Masters are incredibly stubborn in the pursuit of their goals. It's almost impossible to dissuade them from their chosen course of action.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-21, 07:51 PM
Surely someone has some comment to make, even if it's only to tell me it's horrifically overpowered or something?

JoshuaZ
2008-03-21, 08:11 PM
Surely someone has some comment to make, even if it's only to tell me it's horrifically overpowered or something?

Well, I luck the fluff a fair bit. I'm not sure about balance since I don't know much about ToB stuff, but considering you will need to multiclass to take it at all and you lose two manifester levels it seems ok. The background story is very nice. To back up the flavor I'd strongly consider adding something like "You may take powers from the psychic warrior list like they were on your class list" - this will allow better synergy options between the combat abilities and the powers. I don't think this will alter balance substantially.

Jack_Simth
2008-03-21, 08:30 PM
Well, I luck the fluff a fair bit. I'm not sure about balance since I don't know much about ToB stuff, but considering you will need to multiclass to take it at all and you lose two manifester levels it seems ok. The background story is very nice. To back up the flavor I'd strongly consider adding something like "You may take powers from the psychic warrior list like they were on your class list" - this will allow better synergy options between the combat abilities and the powers. I don't think this will alter balance substantially.
Actually, you don't need to multiclass at all to take it. In fact, multiclassing actually makes it harder.

Seriously. If you grab any of the Tome of Battle base classes, you pick up some armor proficiency (unless using the variant swordsage that drops armor proficiency). Swordsage gets Light armor proficiency, Crusader gets Heavy Armor Proficiency, and the Warblade gets Medium armor proficiency. All three of them have some kind of armor proficiency - and so you can't take them for this PrC unless you use a variant without the proficiency, or some form of "flaw" to remove the proficiency.

In order to qualify, you need two maneuvers; fortunately, there's no listing of what level of maneuver they need to be, so the simplest method of getting them is taking the Martial Study feat twice for the two maneuvers to qualify.

A pure Psion gets no armor proficiency - as it requires 9 skill ranks to qualify anyway, the Psion can just pick up Marial Study at 3rd and 6th, max concentration, and pick up the required feat, and be good to go.

It's reasonably balanced, except for maybe Unbound Force, but as a capstone ability in a PrC that costs two manifester levels, it's not actually all that bad.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-21, 08:55 PM
Yeah, it's deliberately designed to be used by the Variant Swordsage, multiclassed with Psion.

You'd never want to take the normal swordsage for it anyway, because you're going to want to fight unarmed, and the normal swordsage doesn't get IUS... which I should really include as a requirement.

Unbound Force only does as much damage as the JPM's capstone (Which does that damage, and completely heals the user of absolutely everything... which is stronger than Unbound Force's special effect IMHO...), and it costs 30 PP, which is more than any psionic power would ever actually cost... so...