PDA

View Full Version : What is the casting time for a spontaneous spell?

Frosty
2008-03-21, 12:13 AM
I know applying metamagic to a spontaneous casted spell is a full-round action, but if a spell is naturally a Swift action, then I can cast it with no problem as a Swift action correct? For example, if I can spontaneous cast divination spells, then I can cast Sure Strike (a 2nd level swift action spell) as a Swift action correct?

NecroRebel
2008-03-21, 12:22 AM
Yes, and oddly enough RAW it appears as if a spell with a casting time of less than 1 standard action's casting time is not, in fact, extended by applying metamagic feats to it.

Sorcerers and Bards
Sorcerers and bards choose spells as they cast them. They can choose when they cast their spells whether to apply their metamagic feats to improve them. As with other spellcasters, the improved spell uses up a higher-level spell slot. But because the sorcerer or bard has not prepared the spell in a metamagic form in advance, he must apply the metamagic feat on the spot. Therefore, such a character must also take more time to cast a metamagic spell (one enhanced by a metamagic feat) than he does to cast a regular spell. If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.)

For a spell with a longer casting time, it takes an extra full-round action to cast the spell.

Spontaneous Casting and Metamagic Feats
A cleric spontaneously casting a cure or inflict spell can cast a metamagic version of it instead. Extra time is also required in this case. Casting a 1-action metamagic spell spontaneously is a full-round action, and a spell with a longer casting time takes an extra full-round action to cast.

I'm guessing you're using the spontaneous divination Wizard variant, so the most relevant section is probably the latter bit here. As you can see, no mention is made of extending the cast time of spells without metamagic applied, nor is mention made of spells with swift or free action cast times.

In short, if the spell has a natural swift-action cast time, you can apply as many metamagics as you want with no effect on the cast time.

Frosty
2008-03-21, 12:33 AM
Thanks! Now I won't have to worry about Orbs ever missing. Kick ass.