PDA

View Full Version : Question about martial maneuvers

Learnedguy
2008-03-21, 03:01 AM
Okay, so this is a slightly noobish inquiry, but I still need help.

Could someone explain in layman's terms how martial maneuvers in ToB works? How do I learn them, what do I have to do to qualify for them and etc?

I've tried to read ToB, but apparently I'm stupid, so I'm left with some fuzzy knowledge but not a complete picture:smallfrown:

Actually, just explain the ToB to me, and assume I'm stupid:smallsigh:

Dhavaer
2008-03-21, 04:11 AM
To learn a martial maneuver you need either a level in a martial adept class or the Martial Study feat. You also have to fulfil the prerequisites, which are generally previously known maneuvers and a minimum initiator level. Your initiator level is your martial adept level plus 1/2 all your other levels.

For example: Sudden Leap is a level 1 Tiger Claw maneuver which requires 1 Tiger Claw maneuver, so in order to qualify for this maneuver you must have an initiator level of at least 1, and at least 1 other Tiger Claw maneuver.
Mountain Tombstone Strike is a level 9 Stone Dragon maneuver with no requirements, so all you need is an initiator level of 17.

Stances work similarly, but they are seperate from the other kinds of maneuvers, so you will have a seperate list of 'maneuvers known' and 'stances known'. Stances still count as maneuvers when fulfilling requirements to learn new maneuvers/stances, though.

Learnedguy
2008-03-21, 06:33 AM
Hey thanks! One thing though, where can I see or how can I calculate the required initiator level?

(My guesses is that it's really simple, but I haven't though of it yet)

Hunter Noventa
2008-03-21, 07:03 AM
Any class from the Tome of battle gives iniator Levels on a 1 for one basis. i.e. a level 10 Warblade has an IL of ten. Other classes give it on a 2 for one basis. i.e. a level 10 Fighter has an IL of 5, or a Fighter6/Warblade5 has an IL of 8.

Learnedguy
2008-03-21, 07:24 AM
Any class from the Tome of battle gives iniator Levels on a 1 for one basis. i.e. a level 10 Warblade has an IL of ten. Other classes give it on a 2 for one basis. i.e. a level 10 Fighter has an IL of 5, or a Fighter6/Warblade5 has an IL of 8.

Sorry, I was being unclear. I meant the initiator level for a maneuver. Where can I see that I need to have an initiator level of 17 to be able to learn Mountain Tombstone Strike for instance?

Eldariel
2008-03-21, 07:30 AM
It's the same as for spells. 1 for 1st level, 3 for 2nd level, 5 for 3rd level and so on in 2-level increments, ending at 17 for 9th level.

Darrin
2008-03-21, 07:48 AM
Sorry, I was being unclear. I meant the initiator level for a maneuver. Where can I see that I need to have an initiator level of 17 to be able to learn Mountain Tombstone Strike for instance?

Look at "Table 3-1: Highest-Level Maneuvers Known", page 39 in ToB. And yes, as Eldariel points out, it's the same as caster levels for wizards/clerics: double the maneuver level and subtract 1 to get the Initiator Level necessary.

To calculate IL, all Martial Adept level classes count as +1 IL, as do most of the PrCs in ToB (Bloodstorm Blade does not count as a Martial Adept PrC). Any non-Martial Adept class counts as +0.5 IL. However, if you're multiclassing, each Martial Adept base class is calculated separately. A Warblade 4/Rogue 3/SwordSage 1 has an IL of 6 as a Warblade (4.0 Warblade ILs and 2.0 non-Warblade levels), and an IL of 4.5 as a SwordSage (1.0 SwordSage ILs and 3.5 non-SwordSage ILs).

There are some important differences with maneuvers you should keep in mind: Stances count as "maneuvers" for the purposes of prereqs, and once you learn a maneuver, you no longer need to pay attention to the prereqs. If you replace or lose a maneuver that helped you qaulify for Sudden Leap, for example, you don't lose access to Sudden Leap.

Learnedguy
2008-03-21, 10:40 AM
Okay, I got it now. Thanks everyone:smallbiggrin: !