PDA

View Full Version : More Disciplines of the Sublime Way?

Gargauth
2008-03-21, 03:31 AM
I searched around on the site and couldn't find anything for it, BUT... Has anyone created a ToB school for ranged characters? After getting the book from a friend, I've rather enjoyed its contents, but I feel a ranged style is in order now that melee has had a good fixin'.

So if anyone has any info about that, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Xefas
2008-03-21, 03:39 AM
Here are 40+ new disciplines. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=804856) I believe a good 3-4 of them are ranged in nature.

Tam_OConnor
2008-03-21, 03:42 AM
Last I heard, it was called Falling Star Style, or something along those lines:
Here. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=771597&highlight=falling+star)

Edit: The Barbarian Ninjas make me feel woefully inadequate...

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-21, 04:18 AM
Excuse me while I deal with the mental image of someone making a sneak attack while raging.

"I stealthily sneak up to him, and silently RIP OUT HIS THROAT WITH A BLOODCURDLING SCREAM!"

Tam_OConnor
2008-03-21, 04:27 AM
Thank you for the giggles. And up until he did the throat ripping, he was invisible. Because he's a ninja!

Eldariel
2008-03-21, 04:34 AM
I'm contemplating a Sublime Way-style system for ranged weapons. Now that I think of it though, there's no reason why the Sublime Way itself couldn't just be expanded; Archery is at least as much of an art as swordplay.

It's worth noting that out of the existing schools already, Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind offer a bunch of stuff to Archers: Dancing Mongoose, Rapid Counter (perfect complement of Ranged Threat), Raging Mongoose, Time Stands Still along with all sorts of counters (outside Diamond Mind too), utility such as White Raven Tactics, Iron Heart Endurance and Iron Heart Surge, and mobility-stuff like Sudden Leap, Shadow Blink et company. Of course, it's a pretty slim selection, but there's enough for a Ranged Adept, especially when combined with Elvencraft Bow and some melee maneuvers.

Rendel Nep
2008-03-21, 04:42 AM
What about Hygienic Cat or Angry Hippopotamus?... or even Enthusiastic Dog?

Dhavaer
2008-03-21, 04:58 AM

Those would be good alternate names for a parody game. I think Hygenic Cat would be Diamond Mind, Angry Hippopotamus = Stone Dragon and Enthusiastic Dog = Tiger Claw...

Xefas
2008-03-21, 05:02 AM

It's funny that you mention this. In order to satire the misconception that one must yell the ridiculous names of the maneuvers, I actually placed a kooky old man in my campaign who does just that. Only, he doesn't yell the *actual* names, nor do his maneuvers have quite the same fluff.

For instance, while initiating a "Mighty Throw" (or its equivalents) he yelled "Field Mouse Decapitates Buffalo!", threw his legs out from under himself and kicked the PC in the throat hard enough to send him flying.

His stances were also things such as "Bear Squats in Mountain Stream" (Roots of the Mountain) and "Tarrasque Balances on the Bamboo" (Pearl of Black Doubt).

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-21, 05:41 AM
Is it misconception, or just an easy joke to make at te expense of ToB? I have a hard time believing people actually think that. But then again, some people . . .