PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Creature Thing

Jachra
2008-03-21, 06:58 AM
I'm beginning to think any tension about its revelation has been effectively undercut. Some 500 pages of 'I'm almost gonna reveal him!' tease? There's a word for that, it's somewhat crude for this forum, but it would apply nicely. ;D

I think Burlew is setting us up. He's going to reveal it in the least dramatic way possible. When it doesn't matter at all. When everything it can say or do is already done.
That, or we'll never, ever see it.

FujinAkari
2008-03-21, 07:26 AM
Where has he ever said "I'm almost gonna reveal him!" since the Dungeon of Durokan?

Wolfman42666
2008-03-21, 08:45 AM
I never thought I'd see it, but the "what is the MitD threads" has mutated into something worse. I tip my hat to you good sir, if I had one.

We usually call it the Monster in the Darkness by the way but thats normally shortened to the MitD or the CitD.

Still having read Start of Darkness, I feel more than confidant in Mr. Burlew's ability to undercut all his previous jokes about the creature in the darkness and reveal it in a spectaular way, I mean after showing Roy jump on to Xykon's zombie silver dragon in literally the most awesome way I can think of (i.e. followed by several jokes:smallwink:) I think he's building to something.

Besides which whatever "it" is, if Miko could only tickle it and Belkar couldn't even make it notice his attack? It's gonna be good.

Place my money on MitD being revealed at somepoint in Kraagor's Tomb.

Jachra
2008-03-21, 04:43 PM
Where has he ever said "I'm almost gonna reveal him!" since the Dungeon of Durokan?

...never?
I meant that he implied it in a literary context. As in, there have been numerous moments where, in the comic itself, the threat of his reveal was imminent, but snatched away at the last moment.

T'is entirely possible.
And hey, if I wanted to go read through pages and pages of threads I would slap myself and go do something else. ;D

Qov
2008-03-21, 06:34 PM
...never?
There have been numerous moments where, in the comic itself, the threat of his reveal was imminent, but snatched away at the last moment.

I haven't felt that. Since the intended reveal in the Dungeons of Dorukan, I can think only of his begging lantern archons to illuminate him, but I never really expected that they would. If they kept needing to snatch away his umbrella, or hide him behind conveniently placed pieces of furniture I might agree, but I haven't felt the promise of revelation for a long time. He's just become a constant companion.

I think it's your own curiosity rather than Rich Burlew that is taunting you.

Jachra
2008-03-22, 04:29 AM
Curses, you mean I'm not at the center of vast conspiratorial taunting forces? Crazy talk.

I submit this may be true, though looking back it still seems so to me. Perhaps it IS just me.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-03-22, 04:54 AM
I haven't felt that. Since the intended reveal in the Dungeons of Dorukan, I can think only of his begging lantern archons to illuminate him, but I never really expected that they would. If they kept needing to snatch away his umbrella, or hide him behind conveniently placed pieces of furniture I might agree, but I haven't felt the promise of revelation for a long time. He's just become a constant companion.

I think it's your own curiosity rather than Rich Burlew that is taunting you.

There is also shortly after the Dungwon or Duorkan, before the Hello Kitty Vampire Umbrella, where he was going to be revealed as he stepped out into the sunlight.

And theres also recetly, during the Battle for Azure City, where MitD monologues aloud about revealing himself possibly early in order to eat Haley and Belkar, eventually deciding Xykon wouldn't be mad if he revealed himself to eat 1/3 of The Order, and then he looks back up to see that Haley and Belkar have split.
He still wants out of the darkness, he just doesn't want to get Xykon mad, and I didn't expected Haley and Belkar to run away, but Rich does keep alluding to it.

Lupy
2008-03-22, 09:49 AM
I have a theory, but it involves my old "How do you want the strip to end" thread. General consensus was that we never see him.