PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my 9th level cleric (Time & Travel Domains)

KoDT69
2008-03-21, 09:23 AM
OK so I rolled up a human Cleric with Time and Travel domains for the arcane goodness they bring for one of my players. What feats should he take? I let the player chose at first and he took stuff like Weapon Focus and Cleave... Help? :smallbiggrin: It's gonna be a long campaign...

cupkeyk
2008-03-21, 09:25 AM
LOLz weapon focus will be bad but cleave is okay... if he goes the divine metacheese route, he should be able to tank fairly well.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-21, 09:30 AM
Augment Healing could be useful if his willing to spend 4 skill points on the Heal skill. Scribe Scroll would be useful (making scrolls of spells you won't need to use that often like Remove Blindness/Deafness would be a good idea). Some of the feats which use Faith Points which are mentioned here could be useful as well: http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/featsform.pl .

Keld Denar
2008-03-21, 09:55 AM
Well, I'm going to assume with those domains, he's gonna be more of a caster than a meleer.

Augemented Healing gives a nice bonus to healing spells cast. According to the FAQ, it also triggers off spell trigger items like wands. This is a nice benefit.

Scribe Scroll/Craft Wonderous Item - since he took domains that give him spells that aren't normally on the cleric list, these 2 feats will give those spells longevity. Being able to scribe scrolls of Fly, or Pearling back a fly spell to recast can be very important at times.

Divine Spell Power is very nice for a caster cleric. You can burn a turn attempt to attempt to increase the CL of a spell by your turn check modifier. It doesn't take much effort to optimize this to the point where you almost always get +3 to +4 CL on every spell. This will increase the durations and power of your buffs like Magic Vestiments, Greater Magic Weapon, Conviction and Shield of Faith. Also is fun with CL dependant spells like Holy Word.

KoDT69
2008-03-21, 06:45 PM
It's a melee heavy campaign. I figured the domain spells just open up some other options because the arcane caster is a Rogue 2 / Sorcerer 7... So 3 levels behind the Cleric in spell level. What is the most effective way to go CoDzilla? I want him to be a beefcake among beefcakes. His last character was a monk, so I want him to see what a good PC plays like! :smallbiggrin:

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-21, 06:57 PM
What alignment? Homebrew or an established setting?

Chronicled
2008-03-21, 07:01 PM
In this situation, I'd have him look at the PH2 Cleric alternative class feature Domain Spontaneity. This lets him pick one of his domains (either is a wonderful option), and cast its spells spontaneously instead of healing spells.

Then, give him the feat Spontaneous Healer. 3+Wis times per day, he can spontaneously cast a cure spell (as a normal cleric would).

Then, give him the feat Spontaneous Domain for his other domain. By spending a turn attempt, he can spontaneously cast a spell from his other domain.

Congrats, you now have a cleric that acts like a sorcerer. He can fill his spell list with all manner of fun/situational spells, and convert them to something useful from his domains when needed.

Other feats of note: Quicken Spell, Divine Metamagic (Quicken Spell), Martial Study, Martial Stance. He should use Metamagic rods for most of his metamagic usage if possible.

For even more fun, have him take the Church Inquisitor PrC from CD. He gets ANOTHER domain (you can Spontaneous Domain this one too, but it's not as good as Time or Travel), and a bunch of fun abilities. There's other PrCs that are great for clerics, but none with so easy entry requirements.

Triaxx
2008-03-21, 09:59 PM
I'd say leave him be. If he makes a mistake, so be it. Weapon Focus isn't going to hurt him. And he probably won't be the main dealer of melee damage, but I've had a wizard in the party who saved a TPK because he'd taken cleave, and succeeded on an X4 critical cleave. You're better off explaining why it's a substandard choice, than forcing him to change it.

Diehard is a must for a primary healer. I've heard complaints before, but if the healer is still standing at -9 HP, he can heal just as effectively as he can at 80HP.

SilverSheriff
2008-03-21, 10:04 PM
Zen Archery would work well for a High-Wisdom build like that of which a cleric needs, of course thats only if you plan to be an Archer-Cleric.

Nohwl
2008-03-21, 10:08 PM
divine metamagic persistent spell would be very helpful. so would divine metamagic chain spell.

Chronicled
2008-03-21, 10:48 PM
I'd say leave him be. If he makes a mistake, so be it. Weapon Focus isn't going to hurt him. And he probably won't be the main dealer of melee damage, but I've had a wizard in the party who saved a TPK because he'd taken cleave, and succeeded on an X4 critical cleave. You're better off explaining why it's a substandard choice, than forcing him to change it.

Diehard is a must for a primary healer. I've heard complaints before, but if the healer is still standing at -9 HP, he can heal just as effectively as he can at 80HP.

Diehard sucks. If you want better survivability, Improved Toughness does a better job at level 9 and above in every way.