PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Sahuagin Wizard/Soulknife

Talya
2008-03-21, 01:26 PM
Make Saph's completely random race/class combination (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4084369&postcount=11) viable, without cheesing out and taking almost all wizard!

Saph
2008-03-21, 01:27 PM
You've gotta be kidding me.

- Saph

Reel On, Love
2008-03-21, 01:27 PM
Soulknife 1, Wizard 5, Eldritch Knight, Abjurant Champion, and it's still painful.

Anyone who plays a Sahuagin Soulknife/Wizard should just take Toughness for all his feats.

Zincorium
2008-03-21, 01:30 PM
The greatest challenge? Explaining why the other sahuagin haven't just killed them for being weak.

Because Sahuagin do that kind of thing at the slightest provocation.

Talya
2008-03-21, 01:35 PM
You've gotta be kidding me.

- Saph

Honestly, i've seen stranger builds suggested here. :)

Weaker builds, too. Such as... monk.

Reel On, Love
2008-03-21, 01:35 PM
Honestly, i've seen stranger builds suggested here. :)

Like Monk 20? ;)

Edit: you know, I remember seeing the idea somewhere to gestalt Monk and Soulknife, and either make the Mind Blade a special monk weapon or make the Mind Blade do the monk's unarmed damage. That'd make them viable. Barely.

Talya
2008-03-21, 01:36 PM
Like Monk 20? ;)

You ninja'd my edit!

Reel On, Love
2008-03-21, 01:37 PM
You ninja'd my edit!

You edited my ninja!

(Two great tastes... that taste great together?)

Frosty
2008-03-21, 01:47 PM
I still think Fighter/Monk Gestalt is better :p

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-03-21, 11:59 PM
Soulknife1/WizardX with Alter Self?

Quellian-dyrae
2008-03-22, 01:52 AM
I'd imagine that someone can outdo this without too much difficulty, but here's one that doesn't use other classes, maintains a decent balance of soulknife-to-wizard, and takes at least some advantage of all three aspects.

LA buyoff, two racial HD, Soulknife 7, Wizard 11. Use the UA variant that gives a wizard fighter feats. Flaws are Shaky and Murky Eyed. Key feats are Mounted Combat, Ride By Attack, Spirited Charge, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Psionic Weapon, Greater Psionic Weapon, Psychic Meditation, Psicrystal Affinity, Psicrystal Containment, Deep Impact, Quicken Spell.

Utilize Phantom Steed (grabbing CL boosting items so it can fly would be nice). Get an item of constant-use Hustle, or a sentient item that casts Hustle on command, etc. Mind blade enhancement is psychokinetic. Str is 38 (18 base, +4 racial, +6 enhancement, +5 inherent, +5 levels).

Round 1: Quickened True Strike. Mounted charge. Power attack for full with psychic strike, greater psionic weapon, and expend psicrystal's psionic focus for deep impact. Damage with shaped mind blade is (1d10+2d8+4d6+1d4+21+48) * 2, for an average of 200 damage, you attack from about 200' away and end up about 200' away. Your attack bonus is +38 touch (12 BAB - 12 PA + 1 enhancement +1 WF + 14 Str + 2 charge + 20 true strike), and you ignore concealment and DR, so you should be able to reliably hit pretty much any CR 20 target. Theoretically you could use Greater Invisibility early on and make them flat footed too.
Round 2: Phantom Steed moves to maintain about 200' range. Standard action True Strike. Move action recover psionic focus. Hustle action recover psicrystal's psionic focus.
Round 3: Hustle action to charge Psychic Strike. Mounted charge as above.

And then repeat.

::Shrugs::Nothing spectacular, compared to what a well-optimized real build can accomplish, and really its primary claim to fame is its ability to roll every die except a d12 in one attack, but I should think that a reliable 200 damage every other round with 11th level wizard casting on the site counts as viable.

Tengu
2008-03-22, 01:59 AM
Edit: you know, I remember seeing the idea somewhere to gestalt Monk and Soulknife, and either make the Mind Blade a special monk weapon or make the Mind Blade do the monk's unarmed damage. That'd make them viable. Barely.

By "viable", do you mean "almost as powerful as a decent non-gestalt class"?

TheOOB
2008-03-22, 02:04 AM
Levels in soulknife make anyone less powerful. The class multiclasses horribly (it's abilities are really level dependant) and the fact remains that you can replace almost the entire class by one appropriately priced magic item.