PDA

View Full Version : Talisid's Panther (Pr.Class, P.E.A.C.H.)

Cute_Riolu
2008-03-21, 03:58 PM
Talisid's Panther

Followers of the Celestial Lion, these are much akin to the Lion's of Talisid. They fight those that would betray the power of nature just as A Lion would. However, that is where their similiarities stop. They fight with stealth and cunning, sneaking where the Lion would charge. Members of this class do not stay true to Talisid's ways, much favoring Chaos, though Good remains their top priority.

This class often appeals to Rangers, just a Lion of Talisid would, but is more commonly taken by (wilderness) rogues, and to a lesser extent, bards. Few other classes have the capacity or aptitude for The Panther.

Requirements

Alignment: Neutral or Chaotic Good
Feat: Sacred Strike (d8 to evil creatures when sneak attacking, exalted)
Class Features: Changed. 5th level (Wilderness) Rogue, Ranger, Scout. (May take 5th level as this class)
Skills: Move Silently, Hide: 8 ranks, Knowledge Nature: 5 rank.
Special: Must be Exalted, follower of Talisid.

Class Skills:

8+int

Hide, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Knowledge Nature, Open Lock, Disable Device, Search, Tumble, Swim, Climb, Balance, Sense Motive, Survival, Jump, Ride, Use Magic Device. ( I may be missing a few skills here, check to make sure there's nothing else thematically appropriate. )

Talisid's Panther
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|SA+1d6, Panther's Will

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0| Scent

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|SA+2d6, Wild Shape 1/day

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Camouflage, Wild Shape 2/day

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|SA+3d6, Wild Shape 3/day

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Wild Shape (Stealthyness for lack of better term)

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|SA+4d6, Godly Speed

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Wild Shape 4/day, Hide In Plain Sight

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|SA +4d6, Wild Shape (Tiny)

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Feline Freedom[/table]

Scent: Gain Scent special ability

Panther's Will: Immunity to compulsion effects and gains a +4 sacred bonus against other mind-affecting spells and effects.

Godly Speed: Act as hasted for (class levels) rounds per day. In addition, while hasted, you may sneak attack those normally immune to it (plant creatures, undead, elementals). These rounds may be consecutive.

Camouflage: As Ranger Class Ability

Hide In Plain Sight: As Ranger Class Ability

Feline Freedom: Nonmagical Freedom of Movement effect continually on. (As scout)

Wild Shape: As druid. Stealthyness gives you a +2 unnamed bonus to Hide and Move Silently while in Wild Shape.

Yeah... This is a modification on the Lion of Talisid bent more toward stealthy martial classes than spellcasting martial classes. Made under the assumption that Sneak Attack for rogues is approximately the same as Spells would be for spellcasting classes.

How does it look? Is there anything I can change?

RTGoodman
2008-03-21, 04:39 PM
First, this belongs over in the Homebrew subforum here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15). Try PMing a mod to see if they'll move it for you.

Secondly, Fax's Guide to Homebrewing is your friend. It'll tell you how to make a table and everything. Formatting this in the normal style will help out greatly. Also, for the table, try "BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special" instead of the order you've put things in - it's the standard way and makes things way easier.

For the requirements, why not just do "Skirmish or Sneak Attack +2d6; or 2 favored enemies," and then have skill requirements that make sure you can't get in before 6th level. I don't really see bards going for this, but I guess you could add in some way for them to qualify (though I think just dipping for Sneak Attack seems okay for 'em).

Alright, Good Reflex save, bad Fort and Will. that's good. Write them all out though (instead of just "See Fort"). I don't know where you got the BAB as a decimal (maybe it's from the Fractional BAB system in Unearthed Arcana, which I've never looked at), but I'd avoid that completely. Just give it a Rogue's BAB (+0, +1, +2, +3, etc.).

For skills, I'd drop it to 6+Int. Only Rogues have 8, and even though this is Rogue-based, you get way too many special abilities to considering keeping full skills AND new abilities at almost every level AND full sneak attack. There's not reason NOT to take the class, unless you really want some Rogue special abilities (like Improved Evasion or whatnot).

I'd consider cutting back on some Sneak Attack since you've got powerful abilities already. Maybe +1d6 at 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th levels.

Ungodly Speed seems alright, if a little powerful. I guess it's okay, but I don't really think the Sneak Attacking immune things makes sense.

Wild Shape is WAY too powerful an ability to give 4/day in three size categories. I'd limit it to maybe one or two forms, or limit it to once a day, maybe twice at high levels.

The other abilities are good. Not too strong and fit the flavor of the class.

Feline Freedom is good, especially since you won't get it for a while, but I'm not sure about it being non-magical. Seems strong, but I guess it's alright and makes sense thematically.

Cute_Riolu
2008-03-21, 04:54 PM
The Wild Shape is the same as the Lion of Talisid, on which this is based.

Lion of Talisid gets Caster Levels every level.

Note that this is made for a game in which the Wild Shape thing and SA have already been approved.

I thought that on skills, too. Though, Factotums have 8 (or was it 10...) +Int, too, but that's just an aside.

I'll PM a mod. And change things around.

RTGoodman
2008-03-21, 05:22 PM
Huh. I'd never actually looked over the Lion of Talisid, and now that I have your Panther seems good. I still think the skills or Sneak Attack should be dropped, but other than that it seems pretty equal to the Lion. Of course, the Lion seems really powerful to me, but I guess if you've had stuff approved it works.

Of course, the Lion is already going to probably have Wild Shape, since it's basically a Druid-based class, but Druids are already super-powerful anyway.

Cute_Riolu
2008-03-21, 05:41 PM
I changed the Wild Shape (Large) to something more thematically appropriate. I'll probably change skills, too. Some time. But not if my DM thinks that's okay, too! :P

To clarify, when I said Neutral or Chaotic Good, I meant Neutral Good or Chaotic Good.

Obviously not everyone will take it, as it's an exalted Pr.Class.

It should be interesting to play, considering I'm a catfolk and will be playing with Chaotic Neutral Pirates.