PDA

View Full Version : atonement for my paladin

cupkeyk
2008-03-21, 09:58 PM
is there anyway to add atonement to a paladin's spell list, or have it as a spell like ability?

holywhippet
2008-03-21, 10:01 PM
You could pay for an enchanted item that can cast it.

DrizztFan24
2008-03-21, 10:13 PM
Does he walk around, "You are forgiven..."? Or does he need it for himself? because if the atonement is for him I would look into the Grey Guard PrC.

cupkeyk
2008-03-21, 11:01 PM
for me, i have decided to deal non lethal damage exclusively, save for constructs, undead and creatures immune to nonlethal.

Chronicled
2008-03-21, 11:45 PM
You don't need an atonement spell to do that. You want the feat (from BoED, I think), that allows you to deal nonlethal damage without penalty.

That, or the Justicicar PrC from CW. The PrC that also gives you the ability to hog-tie enemies :smallamused: :smallbiggrin:.

cupkeyk
2008-03-22, 12:37 AM
hohoho, no. i meant that after dealing nonlethal damage and tying them down, i want to be able to offer them atonement as well.

Chronicled
2008-03-22, 12:45 AM
Hahaha! That's great. Were I DMing, I'd add atonement to your spell list for something like that.

As I can't think of anything else to help your cause, and if asking your DM about it doesn't work, you could convince your captive(s) personally, then bring them to a friendly cleric.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-22, 12:48 AM
That doesn't actually require the spell, just a good diplomacy modifier. I'm AFB right now, but the BoED had actual rules, or you could just (gasp) roleplay it. Atonement(the spell and the act) only works if the target truly wants to be forgiven, and most won't.

Also, make sure to mention this to both the DM and the party beforehand, as this may mess up some of their plans.

Aquillion
2008-03-22, 02:27 PM
That doesn't actually require the spell, just a good diplomacy modifier. I'm AFB right now, but the BoED had actual rules, or you could just (gasp) roleplay it. Atonement(the spell and the act) only works if the target truly wants to be forgiven, and most won't.True, but Atonement allows a semi-believable way to have instant conversions more often. ("It's magic!") Diplomacy is more likely to raise eyebrows unless you have totally absurd skill at it and can say "I'm just that good."

Alternatively: See if you can get your DM to let you buy or craft a Helm of Opposite Alignment that works more than once (but only once per person.) That would be fun. Or at higher-levels you could play with a caster who can cast Mindrape in your party.

...hey, it's like atonement. Your character will probably have to either be very ignorant of magic ("Hey, that mindrape thing is a good-aligned spell, right?" "Uh... yep!") or be a grey guard to get away with it, though.

PaladinBoy
2008-03-22, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't mind roleplaying it, myself, but unless everyone else at the table is ready for an extended moral discussion every time you start talking with a subdued foe, using atonement or a Diplomacy check as an abstraction should work. Were I the DM, I certainly wouldn't mind adding atonement to your spell list for such a purpose. If your DM doesn't like that idea, then I'd try getting an item or something.

At higher levels, try programmed amnesia. I don't think it's evil, and it allows you to effectively completely restructure somebody's mind. Have fun.

Aquillion
2008-03-22, 09:54 PM
At higher levels, try programmed amnesia. I don't think it's evil, and it allows you to effectively completely restructure somebody's mind. Have fun.True (although remember, Programmed Amnesia is permanent and can be dispelled, whereas Mindrape is Instantaneous. Maybe your arcanist can use Mindrape and tell you it's Programmed Amnesia.)

So. That brings up an odd point. Um... why is Mindrape evil when using Programmed Amnesia to do virtually the same thing isn't? Programmed Amnesia can even give negative levels, which Mindrape can't.

Is it the name? It's the name, isn't it? Typical paladins! You're all fine when I use 'programmed amnesia' to straighten people out, but as soon as I start talking about "mindraping" them you're all waving your hands and objecting!

tyckspoon
2008-03-22, 09:59 PM
I think it's probably at least in part to do with what you said- Programmed Amnesia can be removed, Mindrape can't. There's also the behaviors of the spells themselves. Programmed Amnesia takes a relatively long time to work and, at least relative to Mindrape, gently changes the subject. Mindrape is more "Bam, your brain is now my ****!" Kind of like the difference between attacking somebody with a fireball and attacking somebody with Avasculate; one is a much nastier, painful (and more effective) experience.

Dr Bwaa
2008-03-23, 01:41 AM
Um... bear in mind that if you're casting real atonement on all these people, it's going to cost you 500 EXP each time. For an NPC, that might be worth it, but it's harder to shell out 500 exp for every villain as an adventuring PC.