PDA

View Full Version : Tavern Wench: "Are you being served?" [Base Class]

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-22, 12:49 PM
In preparation for a silly campaign, and to help a player create a character according to his vision, I created this base class. Any feedback is appreciated.

The Tavern Wench:

Alignment: Any.
Requirements: Must be female, must advance Profession (Tavern Wench/Barmaid) every level.
Key Stats: Appearance, Charisma.
Hit dice: d8.

Class Skills:
A Tavern Wench's class abilities (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Local, Nobility & Royalty, Geography, History) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spot (Wis).

Skill points at 1st level: (6 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier.

Tavern Wench
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Unarmed strike, Wouldn't Hit a Girl

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Busty Wench

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Healthy Gal

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Evasion

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Tavern Gossip, Perfect Balance

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Dirty Strike

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Inspiring Beauty

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|We Need a Distraction/Show Some Leg

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Tricks of the Trade

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Speedy Stride

11th|
+8|
+3|
+7|
+7|Tricks of the Trade

12th|
+9|
+4|
+8|
+8|Second Wind Kiss

13th|
+9|
+4|
+8|
+8|Tricks of the Trade

14th|
+10|
+4|
+9|
+9|

15th|
+11|
+5|
+9|
+9|Total Knockout, Tricks of the Trade

16th|
+12|
+5|
+10|
+10|

17th|
+12|
+5|
+10|
+10|Tricks of the Trade

18th|
+13|
+6|
+11|
+11|Unreachable Lady

19th|
+14|
+6|
+11|
+11|Tricks of the Trade

20th|
+15|
+6|
+12|
+12|Unearthly Beauty[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Tavern Wench.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A Tavern Wench is proficient with all simple weapons, but not with any type of armor or shield.

Bar-Room Brawler: Unarmed Strike (Ex)
At 1st level, a Tavern Wench gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A Tavern Wench’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a Tavern Wench may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a Tavern Wench striking unarmed. A Tavern Wench may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Unlike a Monk, or SwordSage, the Tavern Wench prefers to use bottles and tankards as her preferred weapons, she may nearly anything at hand as an improvised weapon that incurs no penalties to strike. An improvised weapon deals as much damage as her unarmed strike. When a Tavern Wench rolls a natural 1 or a natural 20 an attack roll while using an improvised weapon, that weapon breaks apart and becomes useless. (In the case of the 20 it still deals critical damage.)

Usually a Tavern Wench’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A Tavern Wench’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A Tavern Wench also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, using the Superior Unarmed Strike table for determining the damage she does every level. Monk and Unarmed Swordsage levels stack with Tavern Wench levels for the purpose of determining the damage the Tavern Wench's unarmed attacks do, using whatever progression would yield higher damage.

A Tavern Wench may enchant her body as it were a magic weapon for the purpose of enhancing her attack capabilities. The Tavern Wench's body may not be granted sapience, thus, it cannot become an intelligent weapon.

Wouldn't Hit a Girl (Ex)

When unarmored, the Tavern Wench adds her Appearance bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a Tavern Wench gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five Tavern Wench levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the Tavern Wench is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a heavy load.

Busty Wench (Ex)

The Tavern Wench's APP is upped by 2. Additionally, on an enemy's first turn in combat, said foe must roll a Will save against DC (10+1/4th Tavern Wench class levels, rounding up+APP bonus) or be rendered fascinated for 1d3 rounds. This ability is mind affecting, and will not work against immune enemies, or foes with an INT of 3 or lower.

Healthy Gal (Ex)

At 3rd level, a Tavern Wench gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.

Evasion (Ex)
At 4th level or higher if a Tavern Wench makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a Tavern Wench is not wearing armor. A helpless Tavern Wench does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Perfect Balance (Ex)

The Tavern Wench has a perfect sense of balance. The Tavern Wench may take 10 on balance cheks, even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. Additionally, a Tavern Wench with less than 5 ranks in balance is no longer considered Flat-footed when balancing.

Tavern Gossip

A Tavern Wench may make a special Tavern Wench check with a bonus equal to her Tavern Wench level + her Intelligence modifier to see whether she knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. (If the Tavern Wench has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), she gains a +2 bonus on this check.)

A successful tavern gossip check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. A Tavern Wench may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

The DC for this check is the same as that of the Bardic Knowledge ability.

Dirty Strike (Ex)

Once per encounter, the Tavern Wench may spend a full round action studying one of her opponents to deliver a devastating strike in a particularly sensitive or weak spot. The attack's damage is rolled thrice, as if a critical hit with a weapon of 3X modifier had been struck. Against creatures immune to Sneak Attacks and Critical hits, the attack's damage is only rolled twice, as if a critical hit with a weapon of 2X modifier had been struck. At level 10 and every 5 subsequent levels thereafter, the Tavern Wench gains an additional use of this ability per encounter. This ability may be combined with a full attack

Inspiring Beauty (Ex)

Once per encounter, the Tavern Wench may use her beauty as an incentive to give her allies a morale boost. As a move action, she may assume a particularly stunning pose, inciting her allies to fight stronger to defend her. All allies within 60' of the tavern wench gain a +2 morale bonus on Saves and attack rolls, a +6 morale bonus in damage, and 15 temporary HP. This bonuses last for an amount of rounds equal to the Tavern Wench's class level.

We Need a Distraction/Show Some Leg (Ex)

Once per encounter, the Tavern Wench may attempt to draw the attention of a foe towards herself. The foe must succeed on a Will save against DC (11+1/3 of the Tavern Wench's class level, rounding up+APP bonus) or be forced to approach the Tavern Wench with lusty intentions/the intent to abduct or harm the wench. Once the foe manages to reach the Tavern Wench, the effect of this ability ends. This ability only affects creatures of INT 2 or higher.

Tricks of the Trade (Ex)

At Ninth level and every two levels thereafter, a Tavern Wench may select one from the following list of abilities:

-Wench's Resolve: Through learning what orders to intentionally botch, and which to add a little bit of relish to, the Wench gains a +1 competence bonus to saves against compulsion affects.

-Wench's Boot: Some patrons learn to leave the bar early when offending the owners and workers, others find the door the hard way. Once a day The wench may make a bull-rush action, without moving, vs an opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity, she gains a +5 to this check if the opponent has consumed over 3 drinks of alcohol.

-Wench's Serving: A long life of serving many patrons at once has taught the wench to be quick about getting a patrons order to them as quickly and deftly as possible. The wench may throw items to allies as a swift action. If the ally has a means of catching, they always catch the item. If it is not capable of catching the item, or catching the item is unlikely, then the item falls in the ally's space.

-Wench's Snap: You don't entertain tavern usuals without throwing down a few drinks. Once a day the Tavern wench may drink a potion, (or any other drinkable item) as a swift action. This does not apply to oils.

-Wench's Grounds: Never question a wench in her own grounds. The Wench declares a particular Tavern, Inn, Pub, Bar, or any other establishment that seems appropriate (DM's call) to be her territory. While in any branch of that establishment the Tavern wench gains a +5 bonus to Tavern Gossip, and a +2 Competence bonus to skill checks, attack rolls, and saving throws.

-Wench's Grace: Some Wenches can simply charm a statue. The Wench chooses any skill that has Appearance as a base ability. The wench may take 10 on that skill even in stress.

Bar-Room Blitz: The Tavern wench has learned to deal with patrons and fallen over chairs getting in her way, as a result gains the ability to charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement. Depending on the circumstance, she may still need to make appropriate checks to successfully move over the terrain.

Throw Tankard: Sometimes you just need to knock that annoying Thief-Mage-Fighter Elf out of the rafters of your tavern. As a standard action the tavern wench may throw a small improvised weapon, at a range increment of 10ft, it deals unarmed damage, as though she were one size smaller.

Hony Tonk Woman: A Tavern Wench may add a bonus to any perform skill equal to her APP bonus.

Speedy Stride (Ex)

Once per day, as a move action, a Tavern Wench may move up to twice her move. The Tavern Wench gains an extra use of this ability every three levels thereafter, and may gain it's benefits as a swift action by spending two uses of the ability.

Second Wind Kiss (Sp)

A Tavern Wench with a Charisma score of 16 or higher may expend a standard action to kiss an adjacent ally and heal them. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her Tavern Wench level × her Charisma bonus. A Tavern Wench may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once.

Total Knockout (Ex)

Once per day, the Tavern Wench can suggestively and seductively (Though not outright) display some of her more prominent attributes as a standard action. The target of this ability must make a save against DC (12+1/2 class levels, rounding up+APP bonus) or be rendered unconscious. Creatures with an INT of 1 or no INT score are unaffected. At level 18, this ability can be used three times per day, and every three levels thereafter, the Tavern Wench gains an extra use of this ability.

Unreachable Lady (Sp)

Once per day, a Tavern Wench may enter a state of unreachability as a standard action. Until her next turn, the Tavern Wench may not be harmed in any way, not even by spells. She takes no damage and automatically succeeds her saving throws, negating any effect. She gains an immunity against mind affecting spells and effects, as well as immunity to any attack that would cause Instant Death

Unearthly Beauty (Ex)

The Tavern Wench has attained a state of beauty unheard of amongst almost all mortals. Once per encounter, she may expend a full round action to show the true extent of her beauty to an enemy. Said enemy must succeed on a Will save DC (14+1/2 the Tavern Wench's class level+Her APP bonus) or die. Immunity to Death effects prevents this, but an enemy who succeeds on his save or is immune to Death effects is still drained of two HD as if he had been hit by an Energy Drain spell. Immunity to Level Drain does not prevent this effect.

So, Anything you'd change about it?

LoneGamer
2008-03-22, 01:54 PM
Don't add the Appearance stat. Or if you do, find some way to incorporate said stat into certain Charisma based skills where it makes sense to.

RTGoodman
2008-03-22, 02:09 PM
Well, you're obviously missing one big thing. You need to make a frying pan weapon, with which all Tavern Wenches are proficient. Maybe allow their unarmed strike damage to apply for either unarmed strikes or attacks made with a frying pan.

For Busty Wench, helpless is much too powerful, a ssuming you weren't just using the word for fluff. An opponent afflicted by the helpless condition can't do anything AND they're subject to coup de grace attacks, which is way too powerful for an always on ability, mind-affecting or not.

Also:

A successful tavern gossip check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. A bard may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

You might want to change that. Otherwise, seems pretty good at first glance.

jagadaishio
2008-03-22, 03:15 PM
Busty Wench is extremely over-powered. 1d3 rounds to perform a series of coup de graces in? Anyone would take a two level dip with this and then start taking rogue. I'm not suggesting removal, just that you bring it up to one of the later dead levels, like 13, 14, 16, or 17.

For Show Some Leg, why not combine the +10 and the +1 into a simple +11?

Can a tavern wench use her healing kiss to heal herself, perhaps kissing herself on the wrist?

For Total Knockout, wouldn't it make more sense to combine the +10 and +2 into a +12, the same way as Show Some Leg?

Collin152
2008-03-22, 05:36 PM
Consider making foes failing their save agaisnt Busty Wench Fascianated instead of helpless.

DracoDei
2008-03-23, 03:57 AM
Haven't gotten very far into this. Agree on what people are saying about "helpless" being too powerful at the level.

Given the weight of some of the serving trays I would see these characters carting around, I would allow them to retain the benefits of "Wouldn't Hit a Girl" even when at least medium encumbrance (and possibly even Heavy)... still no armor or shields of course... Or maybe say that items held in the hands don't count against encumbrance for that purpose if you want to scale it back, since huge back-packs aren't terribly sexy.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-23, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure I'd agree with Ref being one of the Tavern Wench's good saves. Fort seems more appropriate to me.

DracoDei
2008-03-23, 11:29 AM
I dunno... you gotta be quick to stay ahead of the hands of the grope-y customers... OTOH being able to drink a patron under the table could also have some benefits...

sonofzeal
2008-03-23, 12:14 PM
My 2cp:

- change "helpless" to "fascinated". Otherwise it's overpowered for the level.

- change "APP" to "Cha" where applicable, or at least be consistent.

- boost Fort (she should be able to handle her liqueur), either by making it "Good" or mimicking the Swashbuckler's "Grace" ability.

- include the unarmed damage table, or just snip the whole thing and say "As Monk".

- consider the Wilder's bonus on Touch AC. Seems appropriate.

- full BAB, while slightly out-of-flavour, will make this much more playable.

Arbitrarity
2008-03-23, 12:50 PM
With all strong saves, and full BAB, maybe this will be a better monk :smallbiggrin:

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-23, 01:02 PM
Mmm, good points. Looking over it again, it seems like an even worse version of the Monk class - one less good save, plus some dead levels to boot.

Thematically, I don't like the Full BAB suggestion, but Fort should definitely be a good save. And those dead levels need to be filled, too.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-24, 11:26 AM
Been ou for a while, but I FINALLY can answer things:

Lonegamer: No way. I'm leaving APP as the main stat, though anyone who doesn't play with it cna switch it to CHA. I created this class to actually get a use out of APP.

Rtg: Changed the Tavern Gossip ability.

Everyone: Modified the Busty wench ability. Personally, I thought it wasn't THAT powerful because of the slowish scaleup of the saves (At it's peak, it's like a level 5 wizard spell), but it's best to err on the weakside than on the strong side.

Jagadaisho: Modified the save equations. Good idea.

Draco: So, changing it so that a Tavern wench can retai the ability while on medium load, but with no armor would be a good idea?

Sonofzeal: What does the "Be consistent" thing mean? Every ability except Second Wind Kiss is based on APP, and that one is based on CHA because I imagine it as being more focused on the willpower than on the prettyness of the wench.

I'm thinking of making every save good or dropping Will, though. Any ideas?

On the full BAB thing....that's the reason I introduced Dirty strike. A way to up the damage without making the Wench Bruce Lee, and to make PA less necessary

Lord James: Maybe my opti-fu has gotten weaker, but I believe the tavern Wench CERTAINLY isn't as sucky as a monk. For one, she has less MAD, no ability steps on another's toes, and multiple save or sucks (one of which might end a fight before it starts) seem better than speaking with animals.

Also, any idea on how to fill the dead levels? Putting more things kinda seems like overloading the class.

sonofzeal
2008-03-24, 12:00 PM
Sonofzeal: What does the "Be consistent" thing mean? Every ability except Second Wind Kiss is based on APP, and that one is based on CHA because I imagine it as being more focused on the willpower than on the prettyness of the wench.

I'm thinking of making every save good or dropping Will, though. Any ideas?
I see your point, but WotC has a long tradition of favouring consistency over realism. I mean, I can see how a charismatic Sorc's spells might be more forceful, but how exactly does that help him cast more spells in a day? The Cha ability in a long string of App ones just looks out of place, even if it makes some sense. And really, wouldn't being kissed by a pretty girl do more to boost your spirits than a more forceful but less pretty girl?

As for saves.... she needs to be willful ('cause you just KNOW raunchiness will ensue if she gets Charmed/Dominated), she needs to be able to hold her liqueur.... if you have to drop a save, I'd say Ref. Her Touch AC and Balance are already good enough.

BarroomBard
2008-03-24, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry, but what is Appearance? I seem to have missed a memo somewhere...

Mewtarthio
2008-03-24, 01:15 PM
APP/Appearance is the infamous "seventh stat" from the BoEF. Infamous because it throws point buy out of whack and brings up a lot of questions about wearing makeup, being dirtied in battle, and trying to use polymorphing/illusion magic to emulate beauty.

Telonius
2008-03-24, 01:34 PM
I would suggest a modification. "Busty Wench," "Total Knockout," and the "Wouldn't Hit a Girl" AC bump seem like they'd only be effective if the target would consider the Tavern Wench a possible object of affection. (i.e. a straight female adventurer would be unaffected, and possibly even more likely to want to punch her in the face).

EDIT: And that could lead to another ability at higher levels: possessing such beauty that leads a person to question their own orientation, if applicable. As a free action, the target must make a Will save, or be affected by all of those abilities.

I would also allow the "Wouldn't Hit a Girl" to function if she's wearing Leather or Studded Leather armor. Seems appropriate.

AugustNights
2008-03-24, 01:44 PM
First, I must say this class is quite interesting, but I have a few suggestions, if you don't mind.

Well, you're obviously missing one big thing. You need to make a frying pan weapon, with which all Tavern Wenches are proficient. Maybe allow their unarmed strike damage to apply for either unarmed strikes or attacks made with a frying pan.

Seconding this right now.
Also suggesting the Drunken Monk's Improvised weapon, just to think on.

On the special abilities, why the +1 or +2 bonuses to the base save? Also, why the 1/3 fraction of level? One would think that 1/2 or whole would work fine, especially without the +1 or +2 mods... just a thought.

As for Dirty Fighting, You say it can be used with a full attack action? That's a mite bit over-powered don't you feel? Sacrifice a round, for a full attack of x3 damage? I'd suggest that be toned down to a single attack, or so.

Suggestions for filling the class, at 9th level and every two levels there after offer simple special abilities that don't do too much benefit. Ideas of abilities I can think of are as the following...

-Wench's Resolve: Through learning what orders to intentionally botch, and which to add a little bit of relish to, the Wench gains a +1 competence bonus to saves against compulsion affects.

-Wench's Boot: Some patrons learn to leave the bar early when offending the owners and workers, others find the door the hard way. Once a day The wench may make a bull-rush action, without moving, vs an opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity, she gains a +5 to this check if the opponent has consumed over 3 drinks of alcohol.

-Wench's Serving: A long life of serving many patrons at once has taught the wench to be quick about getting a patrons order to them as quickly and deftly as possible. The wench may throw items to allies as a swift action. If the ally has a means of catching, they always catch the item. If it is not capable of catching the item, or catching the item is unlikely, then the item falls in the ally's space.

-Wench's Snap: You don't entertain tavern usuals without throwing down a few drinks. Once a day the Tavern wench may drink a potion, (or any other drinkable item) as a swift action. This does not apply to oils.

-Wench's Grounds: Never question a wench in her own grounds. The Wench declares a particular Tavern, Inn, Pub, Bar, or any other establishment that seems appropriate (DM's call) to be her territory. While in any branch of that establishment the Tavern wench gains a +5 bonus to Tavern Gossip, and a +2 Competence bonus to skill checks, attack rolls, and saving throws.

-Wench's Grace: Some Wenches can simply charm a statue. The Wench chooses any skill that has Appearance as a base ability. The wench may take 10 on that skill even in stress.

... Any way that's my few copper pieces...

DracoDei
2008-03-24, 03:20 PM
Draco: So, changing it so that a Tavern wench can retaim the ability while on medium load, but with no armor would be a good idea?

Yes

Also, (since this would otherwise be a one word post), I hear-by nominate "Brandy" as the theme song for all members of this class who AREN'T sluts.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-24, 07:04 PM
Woo, lotsa things to answer:

Zeal: Good thing I'm not in WotC. Unlike them, I prefer a consistence, even if it comes at a minor sacrifice in power. In any case, it's not like the difference is gonna be huge. Also, the reason it is CHA based is because the Tavern Wench is actually becoming a conduit of the Positive energy plane. Prettyness doesn't factor there, so I thought willpower would be more fitting, a la paladin.

Telonius: I'm against that, mostly because it makes the class nigh useless, reducing it's effect to male or lesbian/bisexual female humanoids if the target makes the save. Plus, that would have to be one hell of a save to actually have a chance of success that would make the skills useful. IF I introduce that, I'm thinking of making the save a Will save of DC 10+2*APP, which should be enough to work pretty much always unless the foe gets a 20. Does that seem fine?

Chump: Can you come up with a piece of wording for the frying pan?

The +1, +2, and +3 to the saves comes from seeing that the classic save equation tends to make the save 50-50 for opponents of equivalent levels. In the spirit of empowering the class a bit, I added a little extra oomph. As for the reason I made the small saves 1/4 or 1/3, it's because I don't want them to be so definitive that the fight is over if the Wench uses them. They're there to give you a chance to defeat your foe, not to ensure that. Just imagine what would happen with a Succubus Tavern Wench who gets +16 to APP. See why I made the lower level saves less powerful?

As for Dirty strike, I want it to stay as is. Else, we get something similar to the Monk dilemma. Without a sufficiently powerful way of doing damage, the wench has to stay on the sidelines and play something on the style of the distressed damsel. And almost no player wants to do that. Remember, the wench pretty much has no other option for damage, and must sacrifice a round. And the worst the Wench can do is use a speedy stride to move and land the full attack, probably missing one hit, and having a so-so chance at the second one.

The skills you posted, though...Those are winsome. They're in.

Draco: :smallbiggrin:

Talya
2008-03-24, 07:34 PM
Sadly, she'd kick a monk to Baator and back.

Frosty
2008-03-24, 07:36 PM
I wonder if this class would benefit from Sacred Vows such as Poverty and Chastity.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-25, 07:02 AM
Don't see why it wouldn't. Though it kinda defeats the purpose of being able to enchant the body, VoP.

DracoDei
2008-03-25, 09:29 AM
First line of "Wouldn't Hit A Girl" needs to be modified to away from "...and unencumbered..." to allow for medium loads.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-25, 10:18 AM
Modded it. Thanks for pointing it out.

AugustNights
2008-03-26, 08:44 PM
As requested, a wording Mod for Unarmed Strike that fits the Tavern Wench, allowing her to use frying pans, and other such strange weapons:

Bar-Room Bralwer: Unarmed Strike (Ex)
At 1st level, a Tavern Wench gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A Tavern Wench’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a Tavern Wench may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a Tavern Wench striking unarmed. A Tavern Wench may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Unlike a Monk, or SwordSage, the Tavern Wench prefers to use bottles and tankards as her preferred weapons, she may nearly anything at hand as an improvised weapon that incurs no penalties to strike. An improvised weapon deals as much damage as her unarmed strike. When a Tavern Wench rolls a natural 1 or a natural 20 an attack roll while using an improvised weapon, that weapon breaks apart and becomes useless. (In the case of the 20 it still deals critical damage.)

Usually a Tavern Wench’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A Tavern Wench’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A Tavern Wench also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, using the Superior Unarmed Strike table for determining the damage she does every level. Monk and Unarmed Swordsage levels stack with Tavern Wench levels for the purpose of determining the damage the Tavern Wench's unarmed attacks do, using whatever progression would yield higher damage.

A Tavern Wench may enchant her body as it were a magic weapon for the purpose of enhancing her attack capabilities. The Tavern Wench's body may not be granted sapience, thus, it cannot become an intelligent weapon.

-----

Other Possible Wench-like abilities:

Bar-Room Blitz: The Tavern wench has learned to deal with patrons and fallen over chairs getting in her way, as a result gains the ability to charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement. Depending on the circumstance, she may still need to make appropriate checks to successfully move over the terrain.

Throw Tankard: Sometimes you just need to knock that annoying Thief-Mage-Fighter Elf out of the rafters of your tavern. As a standard action the tavern wench may throw a small improvised weapon, at a range increment of 10ft, it deals unarmed damage, as though she were one size smaller.

Collin152
2008-03-26, 10:23 PM
Gotta like being the wizard enchanting the Tavern Wench's body.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-27, 07:11 AM
Thanks, chumplump. That's an excellent bit of wording.

Collin: If you meet an enchanted tavern wench, you can truly say "She's a black magic woman..."

lothofkalroth
2008-03-27, 07:54 AM
first lemme say, awesome job

second...

you should add something that makes the wench's very presence provide a +2 morale bonus on will saves made by allies to resist insanity

also, ofr some of the efffects that involve the wench distracting or enticing someone with her beauty, the save DC should go down by two if she tries to to it to a person who has already fallen prey to it, i.e. : not getting fooled again, and should go down by two each successive time she tries it on that same person

might make for some headaches with record-keeping on recurring characters though

:smallsmile:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-27, 09:39 AM
Loth: Could you provide some wording in officialese?

As for the penalty to the DC, I don't think it's necessary. I mean, all of the abilities are geared to be used once per encounter, so you're not going to reuse them on the enemy anyway unless it's a big bad.

AugustNights
2008-03-28, 12:42 PM
Suggested wording for lothofkalroth's ability.

Wench's Grace:Sometimes after a hard day's work all an adventurer wants to do is sit down have a drink, and look at the pretty women (or men). The Tavern Wench learns to makes herself look her best, and raise the spirits of those around her. All allies within 30 feet of her gain a +2 will save vs. Mind Affecting effects.

Also, I'd like to note that I intend on playing a male version of one of these, just to see how it works out.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-28, 03:01 PM
Nice. You'd have to do some refluffing (A requirement for this class is that you must be female, and busty wench et al don't seem too fitting for a man), but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Collin152
2008-03-28, 06:05 PM
Nice. You'd have to do some refluffing (A requirement for this class is that you must be female, and busty wench et al don't seem too fitting for a man), but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

So, I polymorph (or some other spell, I'm sure the BoEF has one) you into a male, you lose all class features?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-29, 10:28 AM
Only some. You can't use Busty Wench, it's line, and Wouldn't hit a girl, but some of the others would work no matter the gender, such as dirty strike.

The Necroswanso
2008-04-05, 08:19 PM
Sweet class. Monks can suck it down.

Needs to have an ability however to stop minor skirmishes by leading everyone in song.
Would be a huge flavor ability, maybe useful if you're losing the fight. Something along the lines of: Is only successful if before tensions arose everyone had a disposition of "Indifferent" or higher.
Kind of like a cool diplomacy ability.

Prometheus
2008-04-06, 06:32 PM
You might want to say that some of her abilities only work if she is wearing no armor (or alternatively light armor, to include leather, studded leather, and padded with completely different connotations).

The Necroswanso
2008-04-06, 10:07 PM
You might want to say that some of her abilities only work if she is wearing no armor (or alternatively light armor, to include leather, studded leather, and padded with completely different connotations).

That's a good point too. At low levels some people find it more beneficial to have monks wearing armor too.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-07, 01:08 AM
D'you think so? I don't believe anyone would try for armor with a high enough APP modifier. I'd guess I could add that using armor negates the use of any ability, though.

The Necroswanso
2008-04-08, 12:08 AM
No, they wouldn't, if they had said high APP. The problem is though, that much like the monk, this class needs too many stats to fully function. Thus having high in four stats is much harder than high in three stats. Sometimes you just aren't lucky enough to roll a high seven times.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-08, 09:54 AM
Nah, they don't need so many stats. APP deals with debuffing the enemy, buffing you, Weapon Finesse means DEX deals with hitting, and With Shadow Blade, all but one of your abilities work well and you only need two stats. CHA is a nice thing to have, but with only one ability working off it, it's not necessary.

Sonar009
2008-04-09, 03:35 PM
DEATH BY BOOBIES! WOOT!:smalltongue:

CabbageTheif
2008-04-09, 11:26 PM
three things:

inspiring beauty: i think i just found what can fill level 14. tone down that ability and have 'greater inspire beauty' at 14th. i say this because it is a buff for allies that gives them, what, 15 temp hp? and am i remmbering right that there was a bonus to attack and saves? all of it added together for all of her allies... that is more than a bards bardic song at a similar level, and more than a barbarians rage does for itself. half the ammount at the first level she receives it, have it at full power (the current numbers) at 14th, and i think you will be golden.

improvised armed strike: there is a prestige class that has this ability, the chance to pick up a bottle or tankard and hit with an unarmed strike ability. i dont think it must be changed, but i recommend that you look over and think about it. its called the Drunken Master, and its in the complete warrior. if you dont have it, here is a link to crystal keeps.
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php
open the prestige class pdf and take a look.

lastly: this class is perfect for tika! (dragonlance character)