PDA

View Full Version : Does Defensive Sweep work with Lockdown?

Frosty
2008-03-22, 08:39 PM
If someone tries to move and provokes an attack of opportunity from you and you trip them or stop them with Stand Still, does that someone still provoke an AoO from you at the end of his round since he never left his square?

Zincorium
2008-03-22, 08:49 PM
Although your wording is a bit wierd, here's what I'm getting:

Foe starts his turn in a square you threaten.
Foe attempts to move, but never leaves his square due to being standstilled/tripped.

So yes, by the wording of defensive sweep, you would get an additional AoO, provided you had any left to take, against the opponent.

However, a 5 foot step negates this tactic, so it's not actually a 'win' button unless your opponent is attempting to flee.

Arbitrarity
2008-03-22, 08:59 PM
Thicket of blades: An essential part of modern lockdown.

The_Snark
2008-03-22, 09:03 PM
The Knight class also does a fair job. I've always felt that was who the feat was intended for, given that they're even in the same book.

Frosty
2008-03-22, 09:21 PM
Correct. Given that the enemy can't withdraw/5-ft step thanks to the Knight's Bulwark of Defense or the Crusader Thicket of Blades stance, does that mean I'll be able to use Defensive Sweep?

Zincorium
2008-03-22, 09:33 PM
Correct. Given that the enemy can't withdraw/5-ft step thanks to the Knight's Bulwark of Defense or the Crusader Thicket of Blades stance, does that mean I'll be able to use Defensive Sweep?

Yes. IE you're using two AoOs to ensure someone can't move and you get an additional attack upon them- but it only works if you're adjacent to your opponent (making the usual glaive/spiked chain irrelevant to this particular combo). Good. But not exactly mind-blowing.