PDA

View Full Version : Item of +ride skill?

Talya
2008-03-23, 09:11 AM
A party member dwarf paladin of mine just realized how useful a mount could be (after fighting a mounted blackguard.) We're about to hit level 15. I've told him he should stick all his skill points for 15 (a paltry 3) into ride, and his feat into mounted combat. At 15, his paladin mount will be maxed out for effectiveness...but he'll still suck at it with 3 ranks and a dex of 10. Any items which could help here?

Rumda
2008-03-23, 10:15 AM
There are the riding boots which give you a plus 5 to ride checks in combat, and also give you the ride by attack feat, and the final use will not be much use to your paladin but it with spirited charge it increases the crit multiplier of a lance from x3 to x4, and the battle bridle which give another +5 and grants mounted combat or ride by attack if you already have mounted combat,

but to be really effective on a mount your need spirited charge then when the paladin charges, power attacks for full and smites he can do a minimum of 93 damage with a lance (not including stregth), 134 if he casts rhino rush before he charges.

AlterForm
2008-03-23, 10:21 AM
There's always a Masterwork Tool (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork) (+2)

Or a Saddle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#saddleMilitary) (+2, may stack with the tool. Check with your DM)

I can't find it at the moment, but there are rules somewhere for creating a magic item with +X to a skill.

Jimp
2008-03-23, 10:40 AM
You can get masterwork items that give a +2 to a particular skill. Something like Masterwork Riding Gear or some other generic name would give you a +2 on your ride checks when using it.

Thiel
2008-03-23, 10:48 AM
You could make an item using the item creation rules.

Saddle of Riding
This finely crafted saddle seems to give the rider a better sense of balance
When used it gives a +5 competence bonus to Ride checks

Faint Transmutation CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, cat's grace; Price 2,500 gp; Weight 30 lb.

Or if it fits better:

Paste of Riding
When applied to the seat of a saddle it gives a +5 competence bonus to Ride checks
Faint Transmutation CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, cat's grace; Price: 300 gp

Yes, that's a tube of glue:smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2008-03-23, 11:11 AM
I would say a saddle of riding would count as a belt and back space magic item for a horse. You might try spurs.

Frosty
2008-03-23, 11:48 AM
On a similar note, what should be the requirements to craft an item (possible Third Eye or Goggles) of +15 spellcraft? I don't know what spell would be needed. Fox's Cunning? Arcane Sight?

RTGoodman
2008-03-23, 11:55 AM
According to the SRD (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsCreation.html), you can get an item with a +X competence bonus to a skill for "bonus squared x 100."

So, you can get a +20 to ride for something like 40,000gp. I think someone said at some point that +30 is the highest you can get non-epic, so that's 90,000gp.

(Assuming my math and understanding of item creation rules are both correct, anyway.)

EDIT: Is there a "Pants" item slot? Because I guess that could work. If not, maybe feet or something (spurs of amazing riding) or possibly slotless (reins of riding) though that costs more.

Talya
2008-03-23, 12:02 PM
EDIT: Is there a "Pants" item slot? Because I guess that could work.

You're on the Internet, now, boy. We don't wear pants here.

LibraryOgre
2008-03-23, 12:59 PM

LOL!

However, I'd say reins or a bridle would take the "face" slot on your mount (usually called goggles, but masks from FR count, so I'd say a bridle would fit there).

wadledo
2008-03-23, 01:03 PM

Siged.
Thank you for contributing.

TheSteelRat
2008-03-23, 02:42 PM
I believe there's a conventional "War Saddle" that not only gives a bonus of higher than +2 to ride skill, but also additional benefits. There's magic items as well that could be used to improve it beyond the traditional. In general, check out all your book's equipments sections for any mention of riding gear, and the MIC especially. Check the Arms & Equipment guide, they should have something.

UglyPanda
2008-03-23, 02:50 PM
EDIT: Is there a "Pants" item slot? Because I guess that could work. If not, maybe feet or something (spurs of amazing riding) or possibly slotless (reins of riding) though that costs more.
There is no pants slot. It's head, eyes, neck, armor/robe, cloak, hands, wrists, shirt/vest, belt, shoes, and two rings.

We don't?
*Looks down*
Oh, we don't.

skywalker
2008-03-23, 02:55 PM
I swear there's a magic saddle in A&EG that gives +10 to ride, but I've never been able to find it after the first time. That being said, aren't +10 bonus items 10,000gp? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure there's set cost for a +10 bonus. The saddle would, of course, take up a slot on the horse. I think if you're just trying to boost your ride check, that's easiest, cheapest(at level 15) way to do so, and you'll be able to do everything except fast mount/dismount on a roll of two or greater, and won't have to roll for all the things you normally do with your horse.

Frosty, I would say Arcane Sight, although I think the MIC has a similar item that grants bonuses to spellcraft, and I can check it and get back to the computer in a few minutes.

Aquillion
2008-03-23, 03:25 PM
There's always a Masterwork Tool (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork) (+2)

Or a Saddle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#saddleMilitary) (+2, may stack with the tool. Check with your DM)No, it definitely doesn't. They're both circumstance bonuses, and circumstance bonuses don't stack. I suspect you'll have a hard time convincing your DM to houserule otherwise, but per RAW, it's very clear they don't.

RTGoodman
2008-03-23, 03:37 PM
No, it definitely doesn't. They're both circumstance bonuses, and circumstance bonuses don't stack. I suspect you'll have a hard time convincing your DM to houserule otherwise, but per RAW, it's very clear they don't.

Incorrect, sir.

A circumstance bonus (or penalty) arises from specific conditional factors impacting the success of the task at hand. Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source.

As long as your "Masterwork Tool" isn't a saddle, then you'd have a hard time convincing your DM that they don't stack. Call it a masterwork set of spurs, a masterwork riding crop, or anything like that and you're fine.

The_Werebear
2008-03-23, 04:03 PM
Another option might be to see if your DM will allow him to retrain. Stop by some great rider/trainer and have him give the paladin some pointers for an appropriate fee. Then, of course, pull skill points from elsewhere to give Ride a boost.

It might be the cheapest cashwise, and the most permanent, but it will cost him from his other skills.