PDA

View Full Version : Eye See You (and roll 10 times against Touch AC)

The Glyphstone
2008-03-23, 11:26 AM
Yes, I've read the Beholder Makeover article, and while it's interesting, I'm still using the old-style beholder for you.

Beholders have ten eye rays, but are limited to three rays against targets in any one arc (front, side, rear) - a holdover from 3.0's facing that never really got removed. However, if a target is above the beholder, it can be hit with all 10 rays.

Beholders also have a Perfect maneuverability when flying...so would it be cheesy to have a beholder "tilt" itself towards the ground, putting a party who was "forward" now "above" its body and vulnerable to a 10-ray barrage o' doom?

DementedFellow
2008-03-23, 11:29 AM
Beholders are so paranoid they would never leave their bottom/rear unwatched.

That's my guess anyway.

MeklorIlavator
2008-03-23, 11:49 AM
Well, the only problem with that method is that you then lose the anti magic eye ability.

The Glyphstone
2008-03-23, 12:11 PM
Well, the only problem with that method is that you then lose the anti magic eye ability.

That's what makes it even cheesier, because a creature with Perfect maneuverability can change their direction/facing without any movement loss, and firing the rays is a free action. The beholder could keep the party in its cone until its turn, then tilt downward as part of its movement, whether it moves or not, fire off ray salvo, then flip up again.

thorgrim29
2008-03-23, 12:43 PM
Yeah, it could I guess, but then the party could prepare actions to nuke it with magix the next time it does.

The Glyphstone
2008-03-23, 12:49 PM
Parties do that anyways, with the readied action instead triggered on the beholder closing their eye or moving it away from them. My question is if it'd be considered cheesy to make a beholder do this, since it's now a salvo of 10 rays after the readied actions (or lack of such), instead of 3.

Quietus
2008-03-23, 02:14 PM
Considering I'm fairly certain that you can only fire three rays against an individual character, I don't see any problem with this anyhow. If you have a party of three, then each can take three rays, meaning it gets to fire nine anyway. Party of four or larger and you get to use all ten regardless.