PDA

View Full Version : Decent Archer?

Theodoxus
2008-03-23, 05:52 PM
I'm currently playing a Paladin in a table top game who's focused in archery. (Using the elven racial substitutions from the Races of the Wild as well as having the Pious Templar PrC). While it's been a lot of fun, the party was sliding into evil before I switched to the Paladin, and despite my best efforts, have continued to trend downwards.

Be that as it may, I really like the Charisma bonus to saves and Mettle, granted by the Pious Templar. I was looking at other classes that granted such things and stumbled across the hexblade - which I never really looked at closely.

So, now my brain is churning, since the hexblade would definitly fit better with the current party makeup, and it all seemed to click... So, here's what I'm thinking - please critique...

Wood Elf, male. S: 12, D: 19, C: 14, I: 10, W: 12, Ch: 16

Rog1/Hex1/Rog1/Hex1/Rog1/Hex2/ArcArch10/Rog1/OotBI 2

I'll be using the Fighter Feat variant for the rogue, granting me two additional feats.

We also use the fractional saving throw progression from the UA.

As such, I'll be BAB: 19, Fort: 10, Ref: 15, Will: 11 by 20th.

The character will be joining the party either at 9th or 10th level.

Current feat progression is:

1st: Point Blank
Rogue 1: Precise Shot
3rd: Rapid Shot
Rogue 3: Weapon Focus: Longbow
6th: Improved Initative
9th: Improved Critical: Longbow
12th: Manyshot
15th: Improved Rapid Shot
18th: Improved Precise Shot

Thoughts?

dman11235
2008-03-23, 06:28 PM
It looks alright, but if you want to play a fey instead you can eliminate some MAD and have your attack bonus be based on charisma. Charming the Arrow (WotC site). Find it on Realms Help. Also allows you to wear heavy armor without a problem. Also allows for more damage as you can have a higher str score.

Also, why Imp Rapid Shot? Especially before Imp Precise Shot? And why Manyshot? And Imp Crit can be delayed for Charming the Arrow. It's not all that great. It's nice, but not something you should go out of your way to get.

Make sure to just do AA in epic. And if you aren't going epic: screw AA. Take Justice of Weald and Woe (CoR). It's awesome.

And why feat rogue? Why take rogue levels if you aren't going to get SA?. Well, I guess I can see it. Why not.

Prometheus
2008-03-23, 10:02 PM
Ranged Pins, Disarms, and Sunders from Complete Warrior look like a lot of fun, but sadly I haven't seem them in action to verify their practicality