PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Items

drengnikrafe
2008-03-23, 07:30 PM
I have an 8th level wizard (and I talk about him a little too much, but that's beside the point). Now, he's got the horde of fortune that comes with an 8th level character, but almost none of it is in items. I want something to spend my fortune on, that would actually be useful for a wizard. The only thing is, I don't want to spend it on wands or scrolls, and I don't want to spend it on metamagic type items (house rules, long story), and I don't want to spend it on any type of armor either.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could spend it on?

LoneGamer
2008-03-23, 07:35 PM
Headband of Intellect is always nice.

Nohwl
2008-03-23, 07:35 PM
it seems like you took out all the good things to spend gold on. anyway, bags of holding can be useful.

Iku Rex
2008-03-23, 07:37 PM
Books available?

nobodylovesyou4
2008-03-23, 07:37 PM
no armor? seriously? everyone can benefit from a ring of deflection, a necklace of nat armor, or bracers of armor. apart from that the aforementioned headband of int is the only thing i can think of off the top of my head.

Jack Mann
2008-03-23, 07:38 PM
Do you have a blessed book yet? That's one of the more useful items a wizard can get.

Of course, intelligence boosting items are also always welcome.

drengnikrafe
2008-03-23, 07:39 PM
Ahh... I forgot one key detail. I'm sorry about that one.
He is a halfling with a strength of 6, and I literally had to set down my quarterstaff to avoid going over light encumberance.
Although that headband of Intelligence is looking pretty good right now...

EDIT: And books, I'm sorry, I forgot until after I posted. I have access to... umm... a lot of books. Complete Mage, Complete Arcane, 3.5 Player's Guide, Tome and Blood... and a whole bunch more that would take a long time to list. But nothing "Ebberon", which I have heard about on occasion.

tyckspoon
2008-03-23, 07:41 PM
Extradimensional holding space is always useful- a Handy Haversack is the most general-use one thanks to the fact that you don't have to waste any time digging around in it, but bags of holding and portable holes also have their uses, especially for mass storage.

You'll want the basic boosters, too- a cost-appropriate Headband of Intellect and a Cloak of Resistance are never wrong choices. AC items depends on whether or not you care about your AC, which you apparently don't. I don't know if you count Pearls of Power under metamagic-type items, but the lower level ones are fairly cheap and very useful if you have any spells you know you want to cast a lot.

Aquillion
2008-03-23, 09:19 PM
Extradimensional holding space is always useful- a Handy Haversack is the most general-use one thanks to the fact that you don't have to waste any time digging around in it, but bags of holding and portable holes also have their uses, especially for mass storage.Seconded, especially with six str. You can have your party members help somewhat, but you still need some way of holding stuff without getting smushed by it.

Frosty
2008-03-23, 09:35 PM
I'm creating a level 14 with standard WBL...and I get 4500 free exp to craft! I'm thinking definitely of crafting a headbance of Int + 6, and probably a cloak of resistance +5. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I mean, as a Wizard, I shouldn't even be getting hit right? Sure I *could* craft something with +5 armor as a wondrous item, and Alter Self to get +6 NA, cast Magic Circle vs Evil and then cast Shield on myself...but is it really worth it? I banned Evocation, so I don't have Windwall, so I do care about archers, but other than that, I'll be flying most of the time, so should I care about AC at all?

I'll probably craft a few scrolls of some nifty spells...but I'm not sure which spells fit. I would craft a pearl of power, but I'm not high enough level -_-

Paul H
2008-03-23, 10:43 PM
Hi

Try looking through the Magic Item Compendium. Plenty of good items in there - Belt of Healing for onlty 750gp, plenty of gauntlets, chronocharms, runestaffs, eternal wands and the like.

Actually - thinking about it DON'T check the MIC - there's so much stuff you could literally spend hours trying to decide what to take! :smallwink:

And if you can't already cast Heart of Stone (from Complete Mage) then buy a scroll & scribe it to your spellbook.
Bonuses vs bullrush, etc, 2HP/CL (max 30), lasts 1hr/lvl. Also grants stoneskin (NO material component), but this reduces remaining time to 1rnd/lvl.

Cheers
Paul H

Hawriel
2008-03-23, 10:49 PM
strength 6? Hell get a gurdle of Storm Giant strength. or a belt of many pouches.

drengnikrafe
2008-03-23, 11:14 PM
I don't believe it....
I don't have a Magic Items Compendium... I thought I had a rather conclusive collection, but it appears I'm missing a rather key piece...
Though that spell does sound like a very useful one, and somehow I hadn't even thought to increase my mediocre strength and holding compacity...