PDA

View Full Version : Brickwall's Exalted

Brickwall
2008-03-23, 09:53 PM
Mars Day, 28 Descending earth, 768

It's a bright, sunny morning in Epischa. People are happily walking off to their jobs, full of delicious breakfast consisting of fresh fruit and bacon. You know this because you have just partaken in such a breakfast at the local inn, served to you by an attractive girl named Crystal Waters. Though the inn was busy, most of the patrons have left now. A couple people still remain, but the most prominent group is the five sitting together at one table. Stone Dust Lion, Huang, and Xan are conversing with their new friends, Grinning-Fox Shin and Ji Chan-woo. A few mercenaries sit about, a couple of them trying to hit on Crystal Waters, but are for the most part still nursing headaches from last night's surprisingly strong drinks.

The town, as you've noticed, is built entirely of stone structures that look older than the Empress. Food is a bit pricey, but you can find most anything man-made here cheaper than you'd expect, and of good quality. In the center of town stands a statue of a male clad in heavy armor, weilding a preposterously sized ornate axe, standing beside a simhata. He has short hair, and distinctively masculine features. His forehead appears to have been chipped. Those who can read Old Realm recognize the glyph at the base as the name "Ahemann".

Crystal Waters comes to take your empty plates, bending over enough to show off her cleavage quite indecently. She gives Shin a smile and a wink before taking the dishes back to the kitchen.

GryffonDurime
2008-03-23, 10:23 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin fails to notice Crystal Waters and turns away, scratching his head nonchalantly. He adjusts his cobalt-tinted glasses and knots his ponytail tightly, securing it with a chopstick: on a lesser man, this would look foolishly feminine. Perhaps it is Shin's confident posture, or perhaps it is the fact that he seems...a bit blurry. Whatever the reason, he carries himself with the air of a man who simply doesn't care, at least so far as others are concerned.

"If you don't mind me asking," he begins, "what brings the three of you to Epischa? The ladies? Because," and he leans in, motioning for them to come closer, "I think that one likes you, Huang."

GammaPaladin
2008-03-23, 11:53 PM
Xan looks both a bit uncomfortable and more than a bit out of place, to be seated in an inn. His ragged clothing, long hair and beard do stand out, and he has siturated himself in the place at the table that offers the most concealment possible, as little as that may be.

He gives the appearance of studiously avoiding looking at the patrons of the tavern, but anyone who paid close attention to him would realize that he is carefully monitoring everything that happens around him, without drawing attention to the fact.

When Shin speaks, Xan seems almost startled, as if he is unused to conversation. He guffaws quietly at the suggestion of seeking female companionship, as though he finds the concept ludicrous. Inwardly, he is relieved that Shin addresses his comments about the subject to Huang. After all, even if he had any desire to pursue such a subject, his appearance was not exactly designed to attract that sort or attention. Or any attention at all, really.

Which brings him back to his discomfort with being in such an exposed position. But still...

He clears his throat to speak, his voice cracking as if from long disuse. "What brings me here? I had some... Difficulties... in Nexus, and found myself with a sudden and urgent need to travel. I have had no particular destination in mind, so I suppose you would have to say fate or chance has brought me to this point."

demihappycow
2008-03-24, 03:44 AM
Ji Chan-wook

"Nexus, really? I've never been," Ji says absently, while staring intently at the stonework. "Could swear I recognize this stonework from somwhere... Shin do you recognize this construction? Nevermind, I guess that isn't really your area anyway..."

Ji lifts his hands briefly from the large leather satchel in his lap to adjust his sleeves and push up his spectacles. "That name, Ahemann, that I know I recognize. And with the... hmm," he says as he lays his hands back onto his satchel, still largely ignoring everyone in favor of his intent examination of Epischa's stonework.

Rockbird
2008-03-24, 04:29 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Having listened with amusement to Ji's musings on the architecture of Epischa, Lion leans forward, looking at all of his newly acquired aquintancies in turn.
Fate, you say? I suppose that's as good a reason as any to be on the road. Now, pers'nally me and my men here... Lion waves vaguely towards the mercenaries sitting around the room,
who incidentally have no sense whatsoever of when to stop drinking, are here in business.
Lion leans backwards on his chair, and smiles.

Green Bean
2008-03-24, 05:08 AM
Huang

Huang had wolfed down his breakfast with impressive speed, as if subconsciously afraid the cook would change his mind. When finished, he seemed to relax somewhat, just sitting back and enjoying the scene before him. He raises his eyebrows at Shin's comment. "Really? She looked to have an eye on you from where I'm sitting." Huang gestured grandly "And I must admit that I share my reasons for being here with Stone Dust Lion. The excavation team pays much better than any job back in Nexus."

demihappycow
2008-03-24, 08:11 AM
Ji Chan-wook

With a sudden smile and a snap of his fingers Ji says, "That's right, Ahemann was the one who killed- oh it doesn't really matter anyway. Still this is an odd place..." Ji trails off somewhat, seeming to suddenly notice the people at the table with him again. With a small embarrassed smile and nod of his head, he looks to Huang and Stone Dust Lion. "I apologize, my mind wandered for a moment there. Might I ask whom your respective employers are?"

GryffonDurime
2008-03-24, 10:14 AM
Shin

"Are you alright, Ji? You seem a bit distracted," Shin says, fingering the clasps of the pack at his feet. A thin bar of black jade protrudes from it, slipping just above the table and putting it, regrettably, in view. Satisfied, he turns his attention to the architecture. He quickly withdraws a fine ivory flute from his pack and taps it lightly against the wall, setting his ear to the nearest stud.

"You're right...this place is old. Echoes like this went out of fashion with the Great Contagion."

Green Bean
2008-03-24, 10:37 AM
Huang

Huang shrugged his shoulders. "In this town? Who else but Opulent Star? Not that it really matters. I dig where they tell me. But what brings you here?"

Rockbird
2008-03-24, 12:32 PM
Stone Dust Lion

...who else but Opulent Star? Indeed. Not that it really matters...

GammaPaladin
2008-03-24, 12:38 PM
Vengeful Mantis tilts his head curiously.

"Who is this Opulent Star?"

He frowns, considering the possibility that he is revealing a bit much ignorance.

"Forgive me, I made the decision to travel here rather on the spur of the moment. I'm not familiar with... Much of anywhere aside from Nexus. And then it was only my own neighborhood."

Green Bean
2008-03-24, 01:49 PM
Huang

"He's the local Scavenger Lord. He's hiring people to work at the excavation site up north," Huang looks over at Stone Dust Lion, "and apparently mercenaries as well."

GammaPaladin
2008-03-25, 01:07 AM
Vengeful Mantis

Vengeful Mantis follows Huang's glance. "How odd. Surely he does not expect such men to dig?"

Rockbird
2008-03-25, 07:55 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion laughs. Well, i certainly hope not. I'm not one for digging, and those wouldn't know the difference between a shovel and a stick if it hit them in the face. No, it would appear that our dear employer expects some sort of trouble. With what, well i don't know.

demihappycow
2008-03-25, 09:34 AM
Ji Chan-wook

Smoothly ignoring the questions directed toward him by letting the conversation continue around him, Ji waits for a pause to speak. "If they are going to the trouble of excavating it, it is likely that others would want whatever it is they are going after. I've some small curiosity as to what it might be actually. Wouldn't mind getting to take a look at the area being excavated... We don't do a lot of excavating back home, not that I would have had time to gawk if we did," says Ji with a sigh. "Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying being away from my regular duties?" Ji asks for what must be at least the third time this morning alone, half-grinning at Shin while he does so.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-25, 09:54 AM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis rests his chin on the knuckles of his left hand.

"Interesting."

"I am curious now myself. I wonder if Opulent Star needs any additional help." He directs a questioning look towards Stone Dust Lion., before continuing with a mocking sigh. "I would have to give up the glamorous life of a beggar of course. But then, somehow I don't think I will have much success in that particular field after being seen associating with such august personages as yourselves."

He chuckles, and gestures to the others at the table.

"That being the case, I may as well earn some real coin for once."

Rockbird
2008-03-25, 10:33 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion looks at Vengeful Mantis with a calculating look, and chuckles. Though it would be a pity indeed for you to abandon such an esteemed path of life, i would not object to your company. I can of course not speak for my employer, but i can put a word in for you.

Green Bean
2008-03-25, 11:43 AM
Huang

Huang brightens at the possibility of a mercenary job. "I have some skill with a blade myself; the product of a...misspent childhood. And mercenary work pays better than digging holes."

GryffonDurime
2008-03-25, 11:51 AM
Shin

Grinning-Fox shin smiles to Ji, eyes glittering with mischief behind his glasses. With a single swift motion, he pulls out the black jade sanxian from his pack, strangely careful not to touch the thin, glittering strings.

"Sounds like fun. If you all would be amenable to the work, I could certainly do with a glimpse at whatever it is they're digging up. Seems like fun...for a while. But I do think I've heard a song about this fellow, Opulent Star. If you want, I could share it while we go search him out," he says, smiling wide enough to show all his teeth.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-25, 12:41 PM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis grins at Stone Dust Lion.

"That would be quite kind of you. Normally I am loathe to be so... visible. My current career allows me the luxury of going largely unnoticed."

"However, that seems to be incompatible with a continued acquaintanceship with you fine people, and while I have known none of you for long, and some of you for mere short hours, I must confess I feel a certain kinship with you."

He glances at Stone Dust Lion before looking around the table consideringly.

"I must admit I had not expected to find others who I could say that of. Therefore it seems I am forced to renounce my decadent lifestyle."

He laughs softly.

As Shin draws forth his instrument and offers to play, he nods, clapping his hands together.

"Ah, you play? Wonderful, I am certain a song would liven up our morning."

Rockbird
2008-03-26, 09:31 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion looks at Shin with a thoughtful frown.
A song of our employer? He must be well-known then, strange that i had not heard of him before... But you'll certainly hear no objections from me. A song is always nice.
Then he turns towards his men and bellows:
You lot pipe down too! Take the opportunity to hear some music when you have the chance!

GryffonDurime
2008-03-26, 10:11 AM
Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin's smile subdues itself as the room quiets down a bit, and he makes a few quick adjustments to the instrument. Satisfied, he adjusts his posture and strums the thin chords of the sanxians once to measure the sound. Immediately after, his hands begin moving like lightning, possessed by motion. The warbling sound of the sanxian fills the room like light from a candle: faint, but all-encompassing. The room feels dimmer, like starlight. The chords fall into a pattern quickly, a pleasant, brisk melody like a hectic summer day and then, instantly, Shin slows to a subtler speed.

Fruitless mountaintop,
Where have all your peaches gone?
Your soil is empty now.

Fruitless mountaintop,
Weeping, crowned by softest snow,
This, sadly, is your Fate.

Fruitless mountaintop,
All things are governed now
By our opulent stars.

Heavenly dancers:
The lives of man and peach
Are beyond their cares.

Shin punctuates his performance with one last flourish of the sanxian's triplet chords and looks up with a bittersweet smirk.

Brickwall
2008-03-26, 10:29 PM
When the song ends, murmurs of approval rise from the half-awake mercenaries. A few seconds later, a man comes out from the kitchen. Some of you recognize him as the man who tends the bar, Adamant Flame. He has a distinctively average physical build, and looks perhaps 40, though he's shaven. He's gently coaxing along a beautiful young lady, one who looks much like the waitress Crystal Waters. She, however, obviously doesn't pay much attention to her grooming, and she's still wearing an apron dirty from kitchen duty. She barely shuffles along, and keeps her eyes pinned to the floor. Flame finally manages to bring her over to the table.

"Young master poet," Flame says, without taking his eyes off the young lady, "My daughter, Rainbow Blade, is a bit of a poetry enthusiast, and would like to say something to you. Dear?" There's a beat of silence, but finally, Blade manages to mumble something.

"You sing beautifully. Thank you for playing at our inn." Without hesitation, she flees with remarkable speed back to the kitchen, and slams the door. She might have been blushing, but her hair was in front of her hung-down face, so you really couldn't tell from looking.

"I apologize for her," Flame says, finally facing the table as a whole. Without the coddling tone in his voice, you finally recognize that he has a very soft voice, even when speaking at a normal volume, one that makes you just a little sleepy, "Every day, she just finds it a little harder to talk to anyone. I hope we haven't upset you."

GryffonDurime
2008-03-26, 10:50 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

"Bothered? Not at all...if you don't mind, I would like to talk to this young lady. No one should be so bound by their own anxiety. If you don't mind, of course," he adds, nodding respectfully towards Flame but making it clear that he's going to speak to her no matter how he responds. He stops at Ji's side and taps his shoulder, giving him a quick grin as he pulls out a thin band of cloth and ties it over his forehead with a wink. Shouldn't have cinched it so much with Tangled Stars, he thinks to himself as he follows after Rainbow Blade as best he can, adjusting his dark blue sunglasses to sit on the tip of his nose.

demihappycow
2008-03-26, 11:11 PM
Ji Chan-wook

Ji furrows his brow as Shin walks off toward the girl. "How does he always manage that?" says Ji with a wistful sigh. "I've got paperwork to finish anyway..." Ji opens his satchel to remove a sheaf of paper and a beautiful silver brush, and starts quickly writing something.

Green Bean
2008-03-27, 05:28 AM
Huang

Huang sits up as the song comes to a close. "I don't know much about music, but that sounded incredible."

GammaPaladin
2008-03-27, 06:01 AM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis nods approvingly, cutting small pieces of fruit from the scraps of the breakfast and slipping them to the mouse in his ragged cloak when the bartender is not looking.

Rockbird
2008-03-27, 08:49 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Shaking his head slightly, as if trying to clear it, Lion gets up from his chair. He looks at Shin shortly, and then walks over to his men.
Right, you lot! Break's over! Get up, get ready, lots of work today! Oh don't give me that look Yan, you having too much to drink is noones fault but your own. Move it!
As his men clears out of the room, Lion turns towards his newly-made aquintancies.
As i said, i'll talk to my employer and see what i can do. Hopefully, we shall have the opportunity to work together. Now, i must see to it that my men don't trip on their own swords. If you see Opulent Star, tell him i'll be outside. Be well.
And with those words, he exits the building.

Brickwall
2008-03-27, 09:35 PM
Flame doesn't try to stop Shin from going to the kitchen.

"Poor fool's just wasting his time. My daughter barely talks to me. I doubt she'll talk to a stranger." After Lion gets up, he addresses the rest of the table. "That man just say he was looking for Opulent Star? Lemme guess, more mercenaries? Or is someone actually going to try to pick a fight with the big boss himself?"

Kitchen

As Shin enters the kitchen, he notices the lone figure of Rainbow Blade washing the numerous dishes from breakfast. Other than that, however, the kitchen is immaculately clean, though the stocks seem minimal, barely enough to last the week. Except, of course, the monstrous amount of alcoholic beverages and ingredients.

Outside

The town looks exactly as described earlier, and the streets are filled with people headed to work in the morning.

GryffonDurime
2008-03-27, 10:39 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin enters quietly, letting his hair down as he does so, careful to try and cover his forehead additionally. He bows lightly and coughs a bit to draw her attention, then stands perfectly straight, wearing his confidence lightly.

"Do you believe in Heaven, Rainbow Blade?" he asks, smiling widely in accordance with his name. This would be a magnificent lie. Without waiting for her to answer, he nods his head and mutters: "Yes, I think you do. There are gods of love and confidence, you know, all watching mortal actions with the greatest of interest. But there are so many, and so few gods...My mom told me these things," he adds, winking.

"What would you do if I told you that Heaven thought you were special? If I told you that you could be bolder. No one should be so afraid of the world," he says, offering her his hand. In that same instant, he worked a simple Sidereal magic, weaving lesser Fates to lesser ends to make her see him as what he claimed.

Green Bean
2008-03-28, 10:41 AM
Huang

Huang looks confused. "Why would someone want to pick a fight with Opulent Star?"

GammaPaladin
2008-03-28, 11:04 AM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis laughs at Huang's question.

"When you're on top, there's always someone who want to pick a fight with you. I may not know much about this area, but that's true anywhere."

He grins, and then shifts his focus to Adamant Flame.

"Don't worry though, Lion is already employed by Opulent Star. I don't think he's looking to pick a fight with the provider of his paycheck. But you say there are other mercenaries in town? It sounds as though our benefactor is worried about fairly serious trouble if that's the case."

"I wonder what has him so concerned."

Brickwall
2008-03-28, 01:39 PM
"Probably the excavation. I heard there's been a lot of injuries. Maybe they unearthed something they shouldn't have. Tomb lizards, possibly. I don't really care to pry into the man's business. If you want to find out, you should probably head over there yourselves."

Flame heads back to the bar to bus it.

Kitchen

There's a silence before she even seems to acknowledge that Shin said something. "I'm not afraid," she says just as softly as before, and still without looking in his direction.

GryffonDurime
2008-03-28, 02:49 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

"If you're not afraid, what are you, then? You won't look at me, you won't speak to your father...something is not right, then."

Shin lowers his head carefully, trying to catch Rainbow's eyes.

"Something isn't right, or I wouldn't be here, would I?"

Brickwall
2008-03-28, 03:05 PM
Kitchen

Another silence. "Things haven't been right. Not for a long time. Why come now? You're too late."

GammaPaladin
2008-03-28, 04:48 PM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis grins at Huang and shrugs at Adamant Flame's words.

"I believe he's right Huang. I probably should go take a look at this site, don't you think?"

Mantis takes up his walking stick and rises. He bows to the bartender on his way out, saying, "Thank you for your hospitality, kind sir."

Outside he allows himself to fall into his beggar's persona, slouching in his rags and avoiding eye contact with the people on the street as he makes his way through the town, listening for any bits of information as he seeks the excavation site.

Green Bean
2008-03-29, 06:13 PM
Huang

Huang hesitates for a few moments as Vengeful Mantis leaves, then appears to come to some sort of decision. He dons his traveller's cloak and moves swiftly after the beggar (stopping to leave a few coins for Adamant Flame and his daughter on the table).

"Wait a moment. I wish to investigate as well. Perhaps we should travel together?"

GryffonDurime
2008-03-29, 07:00 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

"It may be too late," Shin says, feigning acceptance. "But how can we know if you won't explain the problem? I can help, if you'll let me try," he finishes, then laces his fingers together, imploringly.

Brickwall
2008-03-29, 07:39 PM
Kitchen

"She's gone. She's gone and she's never coming back. Dad knows it. Everyone does." At this point, she seems to be working faster, or maybe more furiously. Not that Shin can really tell.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-29, 07:49 PM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis looks back as Huang bustles out after him, and grins. He stops and waits for the man to catch up to him.

"Ah well." He murmurs softly as Huang draws abreast. "I had hoped to play the role of the beggar and see what rumors drifted my way. No one takes note of a beggar's presence. But..." He looks Huang up and down. "I don't think anyone is going to be taken in by my act with you along."

He shrugs and straightens his posture.

"It matters not, I'd rather be in the company of my new friends, anyway. I am Xan to most, as that is how my parents named me. But since we are going to be friends, you should know that my true name is Vengeful Mantis."

He smiles crookedly, and offers the man his hand.

Rockbird
2008-03-29, 08:17 PM
Stone Dust Lion

When Vengeful Mantis and Huang exit the inn Lion approaches them, having set his men to prepare for the day.
So, where are you two off to now? If you're going to look for the digging site, i'd come along if you don't mind. I'm getting sick of waiting for this guy to show up...

GammaPaladin
2008-03-29, 08:30 PM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis chuckles softly as Stone Dust Lion approaches just as he's offering Huang his hand.

"Ah, Lion! Well, seeing as my cover is apparently blown anyway, I suppose the more, the merrier. I just finished telling Huang that since I have such a promising feeling about all of you, I've decided to let you all call me Vengeful Mantis, it's my true name, you see."

Rockbird
2008-03-31, 01:13 PM
Stone Dust Lion

An honour. Now, i don't suppose any of you know the way to the digging site?
Lion says, and looks around a bit, as if subcociously hoping to find a sign or something marked "Digging Site".

GammaPaladin
2008-03-31, 01:37 PM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis tilts his head to the side, a gesture curiously reminiscent of his namesake.

"You mean to say that Opulent Star hired your company to provide security without informing you the location of that which you are to secure? That seems most inefficient."

"But no matter. In a town as small as this, it can be assumed that everyone knows everything about any occurrences of note. We need only take one of the locals aside and ask for directions!"

Rockbird
2008-03-31, 01:44 PM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion shrugs.

Well, i suppose he thought i'd find my way. Now if he tells me it was because "i didn't ask" when we find him, i think i'll have to kick someone. But anyway, let's have a look around town, shall we? You're probably right, someone should know where the site is.

GryffonDurime
2008-03-31, 03:18 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

"And who is she?" Shin asks, careful with the tone of his voice. He didn't want to probe too ferociously, he had to temper his questions with softness.

Brickwall
2008-03-31, 03:41 PM
Kitchen

She finally pauses her work for a moment. "My mother," she says in a very soft voice. She puts down whatever she was washing, and turns to head out of the kitchen, hair still obscuring her face entirely.

demihappycow
2008-04-01, 07:49 AM
Ji Chan-wook

Coming out of the Inn as the discussion turns to the question of the location of the digging site, Ji says "give me just a moment and I can retrieve the location for you." He then raises his left hand up and quietly mumbles something to himself against the back of his hand. A moment later he he looks up as if surprised by something and says, "I mean, I think I remember where it was. We, umm, or at least I overheard someone talking about it earlier. Shin and myself that is." Ji gives a nervous little laugh and tugs on his shirt cuffs to adjust his sleeves. "It is this way I believe," he says, pushing up his glasses.

Rockbird
2008-04-02, 02:49 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Shooting a bemused look towards Ji Chan-wook Lion walks a few steps in the direction he indicates.
All right then, let's be off. The sooner the better!

GammaPaladin
2008-04-02, 12:20 PM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis nods. "Indeed! We should be off. I am intrigued by this excavation, as well as this Opulent Star, and I should like to see both. I certainly have nothing better to do."

GryffonDurime
2008-04-03, 09:05 AM
Grinning Fox Shin

Shin lowers his head, uncertain of his next course of action...his mission certainly meant for him to help the broader swath of this town, and not this one girl. Nonetheless, he resolved to come back later, once he was certain the more immediate problem of Opulent Star was dealt with.

He quickly makes his way out of the Inn, careful to dodge Rainbow's father for fear of betraying what has just happened, and searches the roadways for any sign of Ji.

demihappycow
2008-04-03, 09:30 AM
Ji Chan-wook

Hanging back a few steps while the others head off toward the site, Ji looks repeatedly back over his shoulder as he walks. His brow furrows and he gives a small sigh. With a frown he hurries to catch up with the others, looking back over his shoulder one last time. A huge grin blossoms on his face when he catches sight of Shin, and he begins to half turn so as to wave but he somehow manages to get his feet tangled up and fall heavily onto the cobblestone street. "Oh, Malfeas!" Ji exclaims, holding his left elbow and looking around for his spectacles. "Nice one, Ji, this is sure to impress..." he mutters, with an irritated shake of his head.

GryffonDurime
2008-04-03, 10:42 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

"Ever the optimist, Ji?" Shin asks as he approaches, offering a hand to help his comrade up. He smiles knowingly and looks back towards the inn, then turns in the direction of their new compatriots, already on the horizon of his field of view.

"We should get going," he says, "I don't want to miss what's going to happen next. It'll be even better than the last time Mars took the lead: you remember the riots, right?" he asks, and his smile curves downward, his feigned anticipation fades. "We're going to have our work cut out for us...but so are they, aren't they?"

Brickwall
2008-04-03, 11:20 PM
Scene 2 - The Excavation

The group of semi-companions walks north of the village, and as they expected, soon come upon the dig site. As they approach, they notice some sort of commotion going on. The guards are not posted, and everyone seems to be gathered around something. That something is screaming bloody murder too, apparently. The crowd is too thick to see anything for now, but at least they safely make their way into the giant pit.

Inside the excavation site, there are tons of cranes, pulleys, and countless shovels and makeshift workshops. Tents and firepits are here too. The workers must camp here. Or rather, the slaves, as you can see countless people chained up, holding poor digging tools, working slowly at one wall. And at the wall is a large gateway, currently closed with a door that defies the word "ornate" to even describe its handles. It's mostly gold, or at least gold-plated, with imagery of celestial bodies and events, mostly the sun. It looks like it took an artisan years to work even a square foot of the metalwork of it. Every figure appears lifelike, though not the right size, and also completely golden. There are old realm inscriptions all over it, and also worked into the art itself. What lies beyond the gate, you cannot tell. The wall must have gone inwards, and none of it has been unearthed yet, though they probably didn't try too hard after the gate was open.

But why stare at the pretty door? There's still some guy screaming like Malfeas itself were gnawing at his groin, and that's got to be more interesting, because everyone is staring or panicking.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-05, 02:14 PM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis looks about, trying to discern the source of the man's distress.

"I say, that fellow seems to be rather upset, doesn't he? What in Creation do you suppose is going on?"

Rockbird
2008-04-05, 02:51 PM
Stone Dust Lion

Without more than a moments hesitation Lion walks forward, raising his voice to make sure his words are audible.
All right, what's going on here!?

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2008-04-05, 03:02 PM
Sanguine Blossoms

A physician leans over the screaming laborer, and his long-fingered hands dance over the edges of his wound.
His hands are already darkened, and his face is serene, frozen in a mask of concentration.

"His wound is not entirely natural, I believe. It will require considerable resources."
He smiles ruefully, his lip curling ever-so-slightly, as he turns to those standing nearby.
"Mine, not yours."

He folds his hands; they unfold a moment later in a suggestion of a lotus pose.
For a moment's time, there is a suggestion of waving grasses in the earth around his feet, but this, of course, is entirely impossible.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-05, 04:38 PM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis trails along in Stone Dust Lion's wake, never one to pass up an excuse to sate his curiosity. He quickly takes on his practiced air of inconspicuousness, knowing that Lion's presence would distract others from his own, less imposing form, and takes the opportunity to examine the screaming man, as well as the area immediately around him.

Green Bean
2008-04-05, 04:49 PM
Huang

Huang follows the others, but stays clear of the groaning man, preferring to watch from further away. He knew little of treating wounds or illnesses, so he stayed away in case the invisible biting demons infected him as well.

demihappycow
2008-04-05, 07:27 PM
Ji Chan-wook

Ji peers briefly at the wounded man. "That looks uncomfortable..." he whispers with a grimace. Then he begins looking around, trying to determine what might have wounded the poor soul.

GryffonDurime
2008-04-05, 11:28 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

"Lovely," Shin says with a grimace as he looks over Sanguine Blossom's shoulder for only a brief moment. "What's happened here?"

2008-04-06, 09:04 AM
Sanguine Blossoms

The physician reaches into his satchel- a box of some green material covered in leather- and removes a beautifully carved jade case. Within are a number of glimmering needles; he selects two that shine like water under moonlight, and without hesitation, plunges them into the victim's collarbone and groin.

A pair of golden needles prick his temples, sliding in swiftly; two of jade transfix his wrists.

"He has been poisoned. The compound is fusing with his blood. A very painful way to die."
He pauses, and one with a particular grasp of motive might perhaps think it is to allow others to guess at ill-purposes for the needles.
"However, I suspect I will be able to...redirect his life using these, to counteract the effect."

As he says this, he adjusts his deep crimson headband, which seems to glimmer. The area around him wavers as if in sun-dappled shade.

Brickwall
2008-04-07, 12:24 PM
Some of the crowd parts away from the oncoming (and loud and pushy and armed) foreigners, but there's still very little room to squeeze through. Even so, they manage to get to the center, where the strange man with the headband is already beginning to test the wounded explorer for Essence flow points.

It's not even half a minute before a voice booms over the crowd - literally. What sounds like an explosion coming from the end of camp opposite the gates begins to form words that would probably deafen you if you were closer.

"Why am I being disturbed from my rest so early in the morning, and why in all the Malfean realms are the gates closed?!"

The others scatter in fear from the oncoming of a man who appears...significantly less intimidating than he sounded. He's a bit shorter than average, thin and wiry, and has dusky gray hair that looks very messy at this point. He's only wearing a bedrobe, but he's also holding a discus of blue jade that only the most uneducated would fail to recognize as an Infinite Jade Chakram. That's probably because he also has blue-tinted skin and a slight chill around him. Clearly, he's a Terrestrial, and that would probably explain the voice you heard earlier, since the one he uses next is of a normal volume.

"Someone got hurt? Damn you incompetent fools! If you can't keep yourselves alive, we'll never finish exploring this place! And I can't pay for a god-blooded doctor to come around treating the results of your mistakes! If I do, it's coming out of your salaries!"

As he's finishing, a man a bit taller than him but no less skinny comes up carrying an armload of things, mostly books and large scrolls of parchment. He places a pair of glasses and a cloak around the Exalt. "Sir," he says somewhat meekly, and with an odd nasal voice, "it's your responsibility to map out the site. If they ran into anything, the map you made led them into it." He continues attempting to arrange all the things in his pile correctly, but the Dragon-Blood pushes with one arm and sends them all flying. The attendant sighs and begins picking things up immediately.

"Well, what are you five doing just standing around, gawking? I don't allow visitors, so unless you've come to do business, get out before I get the guards to show you out."

Rockbird
2008-04-07, 01:37 PM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion takes a deep breath, visibly calming himself down before speaking.
I assume you're Opulent Star? My name is Stone Dust Lion, and i believe you've hired both me and my men, who at the moment remain in Epischa.

demihappycow
2008-04-07, 08:34 PM
Ji Chan-wook

Meekly dropping his gaze and stepping back, Ji says very quietly, "Pay me no mind, just an unimportant file clerk," as he fades into the background...

GryffonDurime
2008-04-07, 09:19 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin's titular smile fades as Ji recedes into the background, and from the corner of his mouth he manages to just mutter the word "cheater" before turning his attention back to the Exalt before them.

"He's not Opulent Star, Lion," Shin says calmly, shooting a glance back towards the physician.

The message only said there'd be an Earth aspect for them to deal with, but I suppose that was unfounded optimism, Shin thinks to himself, sizing up the short, blue man before him.

Brickwall
2008-04-07, 09:42 PM
The loud man seems somewhat less angry when Lion starts talking, but Shin undoes that quickly enough.

"What do you mean I'm not Opulent Star! I happen to be an expert at quite a few things, but foremost among them would be knowing my own name!" He strides forward, shoving the musician aside rather purposefully, and gets in Lion's face as best he can. "Well, why don't you go back to town and gather your men so you can do the job I've already paid you for? It won't take you long, and hopefully by then someone will have told me what the hell is going on!" There don't seem to be any volunteers for that last bit, as everyone seems to be suddenly very busy with their work.

Rockbird
2008-04-08, 12:52 AM
Stone Dust Lion

With a quite notable stiffness Lion glares at Opulent Star for a moment before nodding and turning away, heading back to town.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-08, 02:01 AM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis smiles expansively.

"Ah, of course you know your own name. You strike me as a man who knows many, many things. A learned and wise man if ever there was one. My friend Stone Dust Lion has told us all what a generous employer and cunning seeker of relics you are."

"I must say though, his words did not do your impressive presence justice. And this excavation," Mantis gestures widely, seemingly completely unconcerned with his ragged and travelworn clothing, "is quite the expert work, if I may say so."

"You'll forgive me for tagging along, I hope. It's simply that after all the tales I'd heard, I just had to see your work. It also occurred to me, since I've heard so many people speak of your equitable and magnanimous treatment of employees, and your wise and insightful concern for security... Well it seemed to me that you might have a need for a person of my particular skills, so I thought to offer my services."

"Ah, but where are my manners? You must think me an artless oaf. Allow me to introduce myself. I am called Xan."

Mantis bows to the Dragon Blooded scavenger lord with a surprisingly practiced flourish.

"Please forgive the brevity of my nomenclature, my parents were from the realm, never left it in their hearts, you understand."

He turns a dazzling smile on the man, his attitude that of a courtier, rather than a beggar.

Brickwall
2008-04-08, 08:31 AM
Opulent Star makes a huffing noise. "Particular skills? What are those, being a worthless piece of crap with an ego malfunction? Get back to the streets and let the commoners kick you as they pass you by, before I decide to give you any special attention."

He seems to be fed up with the outsiders for now, and heads off to oversee some people. In other words, yell at them. It gets muddled over the sounds of resumed work, though.

2008-04-08, 09:29 PM
Sanguine Blossoms

The physician leans back and folds his hands; his brow is creased in thought, and he seems to be checking the weight of his sleeves- possibly explained if he has any tricks up them. He appears somewhat fatigued by his stresses, and his fine clothes are slightly damp with sweat- although the odor is by no means unpleasant, as if he extrudes lilac instead of perspiration.

Who would poison this man? Why? And why such a potent tincture, when likely far less would have done simply to ensure his death? Was it even a poisoner at all, or is some inhuman agency at work? A device? A trap? A...
His thoughts tumble off into an interlinked lattice of associations and conjectures, while his eyes continue to devour the progress of his patient, noting minuscule fluctuations in breathing and pulse.

He notices the newcomers to the scene with little true apparent interest, though this is more in the nature of a venerable gentleman who does not wish to give too much indulgence to the young than of any true rudeness. He does, however, seem to be biting his lip at Xan's pronouncements. He turns to the others- newcomers and any still hanging about alike- and raises his voice politely, a surprisingly strong, clear tone from such a slight man.

"I suppose it would be another in a long line of needless optimisms to suggest that any of you have a particular insight into how this man received his wound? I am only curious, you understand. It has no bearing on the treatment, only my own peace of mind."
He looses a sotto voce sigh and cracks his knuckles.

Green Bean
2008-04-09, 06:20 AM
Huang

Huang had hung back during Opulent Star's...speech. He seems to be just like those Guild members back in Nexus; putting himself above the common folk while they starve. But, I cannot jump to a conclusion just yet. Angry is not evil. Sanguine Blossoms' question snaps him from his revere. "My apologies, we only recently arrived. But your magics were able to contain the demons within this poor man, at least?"

2008-04-09, 10:13 AM
Sanguine Blossoms

Sanguine smiles and taps a finger against his cheek, ruefully.
"A surprisingly apropos description of his malady, though I have the profoundest doubts that was by intent. Yes, I was able to ease his...discomfort. But it is not something I can do every hour of the day."

His smile fades and he returns to his previous, thoughtful expression.
"So; you are not, I think, true lackeys of our dear opulent star, may the spirits bless him and keep his soul pure. Why then are you here?"

Green Bean
2008-04-11, 05:33 PM
Huang

"Well, I was originally here to find work digging, honoured one, but a friend of mine told me that Opulent Star was hiring mercenaries." Huang shrugs. "It seems a bit odd, though. Why would a digging site have need of warriors?"

Huang blushes as he rememberes his manners and hastily bows. "I apologize, wise one, but I get ahead of myself sometimes. I am Huang, and it is an honour to meet you.

2008-04-11, 08:38 PM
Sanguine Blossoms

"Honored and wise are titles I neither crave nor deserve. You are more likely to win glory than I, if you are, as you say, a warrior- and welcome you are to it."

He lifts one long, pale eyebrow and waves to take in his patient and the site itself in one fell swoop, while returning the bow with reasonable grace.

"As to why they require warriors, I have some ideas."

Brickwall
2008-04-11, 10:21 PM
As Stone Dust Lion heads toward the exit of the encampment, he hears the sound of armored feet at a hastened march (called a 'frenzied dash' in less disciplined circles). His mercenaries come flowing down the ramp into the site loudly. The one in front sees Lion coming towards them, and begins screeching to a halt, only to be carried forward by the momentum of his peers.

The group of around 20 soldiers begins tumbling in a giant, unbelievable jumble. Screams and yelps are heard as they descend roughly down the hill. They finally skid and stop about two feet in front of Stone Dust Lion. Various cries including "Okay, who did that?", "Did somebody catch the standard on that army?" and "Whoever that is, hands off!" are heard, intermingled with general moans of pain. Finally, the one from the front (recognizable by his distinctive conically crowned helmet) crawls into a standing position and salutes weakly.

"Sir," he says with stiff formality, "sorry to keep you waiting, we didn't see you leave."

Rockbird
2008-04-13, 01:06 PM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion sighs and takes a deep breath before speaking.
No problem, i didn't tell you, so... Just... next time, do try to make a more disciplined entrance. You're just lucky our employer left. It's not good for your reputation, this kind of thing. Anyway. Let's get to it. Two lines of ten! Straighten that belt, Yan! Can't have you looking like you fell down a flight of stairs! Weapons straight!...

Lion shouts a few more orders and when his men are arreanged with satisfactory order, he turns back to the encampment to find Opulent Star. As he passes the others he pauses momentarily. When he speaks, he adresses Huang and Mantis.
It would seem my employer is not the kind to listen to the suggestions of those he have hired. If you wish, i shall still try to speak to him, but i don't think i will yield much success.

Green Bean
2008-04-13, 01:18 PM
Huang

Huang nods at Stone Dust's words. "If you could, I would be most grateful, though you should not feel obligated. Your own employment should come first."

GryffonDurime
2008-04-14, 05:51 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

"If he doesn't take suggestions, then don't offer them," Shin says as he approaches Lion with an annoyed look still gleaming in his eyes. He waves a hand inclusively towards them all, then nods knowingly.

"Let's just go. Exact a higher price as if Lion's troops were more numerous. I doubt this Opulent Star fellow--" he shoots the Immaculate a nasty look from a safe distance, "--if that really is his name...Anyway, I doubt he'd either notice or care. He's got his own to worry about."

Rockbird
2008-04-15, 01:32 AM
Stone Dust Lion

That's an idea, of course. It might just work. You should know i am to lying what rocks are to flying, though.
Lion shrugs.
But if you want to tag along, then do so, by all means. Now let's get going.
And then he begins to march off to find Opulent Star. He'd be where someone's shouting, probably.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-15, 04:50 AM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis laughs softly. "Then do not lie, friend Lion. Simply consider us to be members of your mercenary band, and then your charge is both fair and honest, is it not?" His eyes smile along with his lips at the idea of such lawyerly mischief.

He lowers his voice to a conspiratorial murmur. "I must say, I am not terribly impressed with master Star yet. But perhaps he has unseen depths. Truly well hidden depths. But either way, money is money, and I must confess I am curious as to the object of this particular excavation."

Rockbird
2008-04-15, 08:35 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion smiles.
I was not intending to, but should it become an issue, it is only fair that i warn you. And indeed, these depths are truly experts of camoflauge.

demihappycow
2008-04-15, 09:09 AM
Ji Chan-wook

"I myself am curious as to what precisely is being excavated. I daresay those hidden depths might hold more of interest than Opulent Star," says Ji with a sardonic grin, to whomever is still noticing him. "Were I more than a humble bureaucrat I might be tempted to look into things a bit more closely. Almost seems as though they could be uncovering something dangerous," Ji glances significantly at Shin as he says the last.

GryffonDurime
2008-04-15, 03:17 PM
Grinning Fox Shin

Shin considers Ji's innuendo for a moment, then raises an eyebrow and shifts his glance to each of his companions in turn.

<<Do any of you speak, by any chance, the language of the Old Realm?>> he asks in the very language he inquires about.

Green Bean
2008-04-15, 03:43 PM
Huang

Huang stares blankly as Shin starts spouting gibberish.

2008-04-15, 10:23 PM
Sanguine Blossoms

Sanguine gives a mirthless chuckle, twitching his queue back over his shoulder with an impatient gesture.

"I would say their excavation of something dangerous is more certainty than supposition."

<<Not a thing, I think, for scholars, mercenaries, and diplomats to inquire about. But I think, somehow, you are not such.>>

Rockbird
2008-04-16, 02:09 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion gives Shin a puzzled look.
Uh... I'm sorry, what was that you said?

GammaPaladin
2008-04-16, 05:13 AM
Mantis contemplates feigning ignorance, for a moment, since it's apparent (To him at least) that he might get to hear something secret... But decides that he likes his new friends too much.

He grins wryly at Shin. <<Mother insisted on it.>>

GryffonDurime
2008-04-16, 08:49 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin glances from Sanguine Blossoms to Mantis, and his smile wilts like a cut flower.

<<Right. Right. Well, then, that's good. Because it looks like that may be a useful skill. My own Old Realm is a little bit...>> he breaks off, then begins in what sounds like a different dialect:

<<High Realm, then?>>

GammaPaladin
2008-04-17, 12:40 AM
Mantis grins mischievously.

<<Would you be happier if I pretended I didn't speak it?>>, he asks, in the new dialect.

GryffonDurime
2008-04-17, 04:54 PM
Grinning Fox Shin

"Ah. You speak that as well," Shin says, and his cheeks flush with a strange mixture of annoyance and embarrasment, as if he suddenly realized how very opaque he was being. "Good. Good. One...one never knows what one will encounter. In ruins."

Rockbird
2008-04-18, 11:00 AM
Stone Dust Lion

As the others chatter in languages unknown, Lion has been looking for his employer, and though he would not admit it, even to himself, he was a bit reluctant. The man was... Overbearing might be the word.
As he finds him, he approaches with certain steps, hiding his hesitation well. He clears his throat rather loudly before speaking up:
My men are here. We are ready to begin whatever assignment you have for us, sir!

Brickwall
2008-04-18, 11:30 AM
With minimal searching, the group finds Opulent Star's tent. Guards currently seem to be on duty, and aren't letting anyone inside. However, at the address, the Terrestrial's assistant from before comes out, carrying a new armload.

"Sorry, he won't come out. He's busy looking over the blueprints. Something went wrong in his planning, and we're still gathering reports, but whatever it was, it looks like it took out that explorer. I have a map here that should show you where they found it, let me just-" he doesn't finish, as the pile of assorted lore comes tumbling out of his hands as he tries to reach for a sheet of paper. He sighs, and pulls a large sheet off the ground. "Just follow the map to the portion that hasn't been drawn in yet. Er...okay, well, that's a lot of them. But there's that hallway there that cuts off abruptly. That's where we think the problem was."

The assistant is right about one thing. This map looks severely incomplete. Plenty of hallways have dead ends drawn at them, which is totally senseless for most designs. Stairs lead to other sections of the map that don't exist yet. The section he is refering to is obvious enough, though. You don't know what the scale is, but judging by the width he assigned to the large gate you notice, you're guessing this complex is grand indeed.

2008-04-18, 10:08 PM
Sanguine

The physician stands, drawing himself up to his full height with ponderous dignity.

If you have no objections, I will accompany you."
He pulls his case closed, packing his implement carefully, inspecting each. He slides his hands along his patient's neck, checking pulse, vitals.

GryffonDurime
2008-04-21, 06:06 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin adjusts his glasses slowly as he peeks at the map, looking rather unaffected by the scale of the complex. He doesn't notice the dead ends, and instead sets his hand on his head and ruffles his hair, altogether bored.

"Are we going in, or are you lot going to stare at that rubbish map until all the stars fall out of heaven?"

GammaPaladin
2008-04-22, 08:52 AM
Vengeful Mantis

Mantis shrugs and grins. "I'm ready whenever the rest of you lot are."

demihappycow
2008-04-22, 07:49 PM
Ji Chan-wook

"Well then, let us get to exploring," Ji says, grinning and straightening his sleeves with little tugs at the cuffs.

Rockbird
2008-04-23, 02:05 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion nods and swings his arms around, warming them up a bit.
Right you are. All right men, you heard. Drop all unneccessary equipment and get ready! It's time to get to work!

Brickwall
2008-04-25, 04:39 PM
The mercenaries seem to have finished ordering themselves from the previous disaster. They're as ready as they'll get.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-25, 05:42 PM
Vengeful Mantis

"Ah, why don't you let me help you with those." Mantis says to Opulent Star's assistant, and without waiting for an answer, he starts gathering up the items the man dropped, surreptitiously examining them as he hands them to him one at a time.

2008-04-25, 08:27 PM
Sanguine

Sanguine nods and makes his way to the gate, inspecting it carefully. After an almost unseemly short period, he turns to the rest.

"We are agreed on a policy of exploration, yes? I see no real cause for delay."
He appears strangely agitated, flushed.

Brickwall
2008-04-25, 09:20 PM
The documents look...extremely boring. A good half of them involve math, ranging from accounting to motonic physics, and everything in between. The rest are journals and maps. Not that Mantis, quick as his eyes are, can really get detailed looks, as the assistant is startlingly quick in picking the various items up. A lot of practice. He thanks Mantis quickly and ducks inside the tent. Muffled yelling and another explosion of books is heard by all in the vicinity.

The gate is, upon closer inspection, exactly what it appears to be from a distant inspection. It's incredibly ornate, and depicts multiple scenes of both daily life and war in the First Age (quite obviously from that era, so much that only the most intensely uneducated person would be unable to guess that). Any of the various inscriptions in Old Realm are prayers to the Unconquered Sun, and some various gods. None of them are standard prayers, and they are all written with poetry that only an Exalt could hope to craft.

Rockbird
2008-04-28, 03:13 PM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion takes the map and gives it a cursory glance. Then he sets off with determined steps towards the gate, beckoning the others to follow. He moves like an arrow, eyes fixed on the gate, making not even the slightest of efforts to move out of peoples way.

As he reaches the gate he pauses momentarily and makes sure everyone's there, before heading in.

GryffonDurime
2008-04-30, 03:40 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin smiles as he examines the door's writing, and comments--surely louder than he'd intended--"Cute. In an amatuerish sort of way."

He blinks, then realizes that perhaps that shouldn't have been something to say aloud, and promptly tries to create a distraction by gesturing for them to pull open the gate, plucking away on his sanxian:

Covetous deep ruins,
White-hot wonders held too long
Burn the master's hand.

Covetous deep ruins,
His hand gropes the burning flame,
Great, Opulent fool.

Shin's burning just one little mote this time, and he's still singing about Opulent Star...he really must not like that fellow.

Paradox: [roll0]

2008-04-30, 08:15 PM
Sanguine

Sanguine's lip curls slightly at the ditty as he makes final checks to his equipment before following Lion at a discreet distance; with a gentle tug at his wrist, he frees a short length of knotted string; each knot contains a golden-hued needle, its tip blackened with some crusted substance.

"We are, it seems, a talented group. Like those that crafted this gate."
He gives a quick glance to his companions, ensuring the less-than-subtle implication is received.

Green Bean
2008-05-01, 04:21 AM
Huang

"I have some small talents, honoured mage, but I doubt they would help me craft a gate."

As he approaches the gate, Huang draws two daggers from places of concealment, and places them in more easily accessible pockets. He takes a closer look at the gate, ignoring the incomprehensible poetry and checking for more prosaic obstacles, such as locks.

demihappycow
2008-05-01, 09:42 AM
Ji Chan-wook

Approaching the gate, Ji adjusts his coat and spectacles. "Let us see if we can't get this, ahh, open then," he says with a slightly nervous chuckle and a small grin.

Rockbird
2008-05-02, 09:25 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Right you are.
Lion approaches the gate and looks for a suitable place to push, or pull. Or maybe kick. You never know with these ancient gate type things. They are tricky, they are.

Brickwall
2008-05-02, 09:38 AM
There are some golden handles that, upon inspection, look incredibly obvious, as if someone had told you about them before, though you can't recall such happening. It feels like it was in some other world or time, and echoes across to you.

Rockbird
2008-05-03, 05:40 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Lion blinks and shakes his head, shaking off a sudden uncomfortable feeling. What just happened? Something wrong with his eyes?

After coming to his senses again Lion grabs the handles of the door and pulls hard, assuming them to be heavy.

Brickwall
2008-05-04, 08:14 PM
The gate takes effort to pull, but once it starts moving, it seems to glide on its own, as does its twin door. It must be some mechanical contraption. However, nobody's thoughts are on that, as the light shines into the door to reveal a giant creature. It appears to be an amalgam of lion and scorpion. It has a mane and fangs, and powerful legs with rending claws, but it his chitonous plates like a suit of armor, and a tail whips around with a poisonous barb at the end. Its shining black eyes stare pitilessly at the group in front of it. It bends forward and lets loose a bellowing roar, but a hideous shriek pierces through it. It crouches low.

GryffonDurime
2008-05-11, 06:27 PM
Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin smiles crazily as he tightens his grip on the neck of Tangled Stars. He plays three simple notes, the rough beginnings of one of the many war-hymns of Mars. He briefly entertains the thought of a stronger defense, but the faint blue glimmer is still warm and prickly on his forehead.

"Come, now, gentlemen: this looks like a job for mercenaries and soldiers, not bureaucrats and musicians," he says swiftly, sharing a quick glance with Ji. After, he whispers softly to himself:

"...not a job for the Viziers either. Let's see how these Lawgivers do."

2008-05-12, 01:41 PM
Sanguine Blossoms

"It is poisonous. Take great care."

The physician takes a step back, squaring his stance, and draws forth two needles caked with black, dried venom, one in each crabbed hand. His eyes narrow and his lips thin to a hard, pale line.

Then again, so am I.

Brickwall
2008-05-12, 02:01 PM
The lion/scorpion wastes no time on dramatic show. It springs forward and brings its deadly tail to bear on the closest enemy. It swings in from the side, venomous tip promising agony and death.

Green Bean
2008-05-15, 09:13 AM
Huang

Huang is shocked by the ferocity of the creature's attack, but quickly draws one of his daggers. He closely watches the creature's movements, looking for vulnerabilities, or even just a pattern to its movements.

Rockbird
2008-05-16, 12:35 AM
Stone Dust Lion

Cursing himself silently for opening the doors so carelessly, Lion tries to avoid the attack. But he is too late, too unprepared, and as the attack closes he shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath.
I guess i have no choice...
Swiftly, he moves his hands and strikes them together at chest-height. He looks at the oncoming attack with determination, and as it strikes him what should have been rending his flesh simply grazes it and slides off harmlessly. Still the force of the attack is not lessened, and Lion is sent flying into one of the great doors. There he gets up slowly, shaking his head at his own stupidity still.
Men, stay back. I'll take this.
He says, drawing his sword.

2008-05-19, 09:20 PM
Sanguine

The exalted physician drops into a horse stance, lowering his line-of-sight still further, until it nearly falls within the sphere of the hideous creature's eyes.

His arm shoots out, braced, straight; a needle between two fingers. He is poised to move, meditative- his eyes are slits, his concentration profound, and small motions prove he is tracking the opponent with every fiber of his being.