PDA

View Full Version : The Spells of the Gods

Collin152
2008-03-23, 11:41 PM
Okay, I doubt they're balanced, and the third is confusing, but that makes it exactly lke the Japanese folklore from which they were derived, right?

Amaterasu
Evocation [fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Wu Jen (Fire) 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
A glint of fire glows in the caster’s left eye. Your world is suddenly excruciatingly hot and painful. You fall to the ground, smoke streaming from your eyes.
This spell channels the fire of the sun into the target creature. If they fail a Fortitude saving throw, they die instantly. If they pass the saving throw, they are instead Exhausted and take 5d6 fire damage.

Tsukuyomi
Enchantment [Mind affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Wu Jen 8
Target: One living creature
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Will partial
A black fog veils the caster’s right eye. Your world is suddenly darkened, cut off from all light, and you feel your mind fading away as your body falls to the ground.
You channel the power of the moon into the target creature. If they fail the will save, they fall into a catatonic coma for 1d100 days. They will not awaken for any reason short of a heal spell during this time, but do not need to eat or drink (they still breathe, however.) Even on a successful save, however, the target creature is rendered permanently Blind. After waking up, or upon a successful save, the target is Frightened for 1d8 minutes.

Susanoo
Evocation [Air]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Wu Jen 8
Target: One or more creatures (see text)
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Ref negates
The caster breathes deeply, and exhales a massive gust from his nose, which extends serpentlike around your body, lifting it into the air. The fierce winds knock your sword from your hand, and you feel your armor fall off. As he continues to exhale, you see others become so entrapped.
This spell uses the power of wind to hold foes immobile in the air. At the beginning of casting, you select one creature to target. If it fails a reflex save, it is lifted off the ground five feet, and drops whatever was in its hands (including weapons). It is surrounded closely by hurricane force winds, preventing ranged attacks against and from it. You may continue the spell by concentrating on it, and each round you may select a new target within range to hold immobile, or you may instead choose to move any creature so held up to 10 feet within range, or you may instead choose to destroy a possession of a creature held by the spell. You may designate a single object (armor, shield, or some other item) to destroy. Nonmagical objects receive no save, magical objects are entitled to a fortitude save.
You are considered to be holding your breath casting this spell, and can thus concentrate on it as long as you can hold your breath.
A target suspended by this spell is not helpless, but takes a -8 penalty to dexterity

Stycotl
2008-03-24, 12:23 AM
1st-cool.

2nd-cool, but are they upon waking blinded even if they fail? should clarify.

3rd-yes, confusing. you mention toward the end that you can destroy an object. kinda random. not in the initial description. i'd give that a little more info. and i'm shady about the rest. would need a better description to understand really.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-24, 01:35 AM
They're all powerful and flavorful, but the second one I have a problem with. It's a save and suck anyway; even on a successful save, they're permanently blinded? With a few exceptions, being blind in combat basically leaves you worthless, especially if you're a meleer or archer.

Atticus Bleak
2008-03-24, 02:21 AM
I like them alot....the third is a big long and arduous, but its interesting.

@Proven: Unless I'm mistaken there are other 8th level cleric and sorcerer spells that have effects like "Fort Save or "#" negative levels" or "Fort Save or ability drain" and such. Unless I'm extremely mistaken one 9th level spell (can;t remember and specific names so you can honestly disregard what I'm saying) that drives you insane even on a succeeded will save. And blinding can be cured...I would say a heal spell would remove blinding myself. What I'm trying to say is its not massively overpowered but it is a bit odd and rare.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-24, 09:24 AM
I think people thought that "permanently" meant that it couldn't be cured. It just means that it's not temporary. I think they are interesting, and powerful enough to annoy a character without being too powerful (an high level character with a good resistance can resist some of it).

The first is a desintegrate like damage spell.
The second is a save-or-suck effect that pretty much mixes a sort of hold person/sleep with a blindness. It may only be a bit too powerful because passing the save doesn't protect you from being blinded, and in the middle of a battle, it'll cause problems to a lot of people.
The third is a mass hold person (reflex based) with a shatter. I like how it turned out, even if a bit long.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-24, 10:13 AM
Oh, I know blinding can be cured. With a rather low level spell even. However, being blinded mid-combat means you're screwed until you get said low-level spell--you've taken the turns of two people, at least, on a successful save. I'm not saying it should do nothing on a good save, but I think blindness is too much. Perhaps a 50% miss chance? Severely hampered, but not screwed.

Atticus Bleak
2008-03-24, 07:34 PM
Perhaps, instead of blinded, stunned or dazed for a number of rounds? Like, they were overloaded asif by a bright flash, like the world went dark, but they succeeded and thus everything came back in one flash. Or perhaps it simply had a limited effect, and they had to recover?

Collin152
2008-03-24, 10:24 PM
Ah, such positive response.
I'm surprised nobody noticed Wu Jen don't get air specilization or whatever its called. That's fixed now though.
For clarification, yes, they would be blinded after waking up.
And yes, I know it's save and suck anyways.
First is Save or die, save and suck (Or Die or Suck for shorthand)
Second is Save or lose, save and suck/possibly lose.
Third is save or be horribly confused.
I'll make more comments later, I don't have much time connected today.

Collin152
2008-03-26, 11:49 PM
So, what, no more evaluation? Perfect?

Your silence leads me to believem y spells are perfect, and that makes me perfect for creatign them, thereby making me a god. Hoorah.