PDA

View Full Version : Forum roller suggestion

GammaPaladin
2008-03-24, 04:47 AM
I don't know if you guys wrote the roller extension yourselves, but if you did, I had the thought that it would be really handy for everyone playing White Wolf 2E games, if you were to put in a tag, that worked similarly to [rollv], except that instead of totalling the rolls, it would summarize the number of successes, and whether or not it was a botch.

For instance, if you typed in something like:
[rollww="Attack Roll"]11d10

You would get output something like:
Attack Roll - (11d10) [10][3][1][8][2][5][7][9][8][4][1] = (6 Successes)

Basically have it count any roll of 7 or better as a success, 10 as two successes, and any roll with 0 successes that has 1's showing is a botch. The logic should be fairly simple, but I don't know enough about PHP to write a module :)

Anyway, just a suggestion for convenience sake :)

InaVegt
2008-03-24, 06:04 AM
One thing, if you don't know the language someone is using /never/ assume any given task should be easy.

Also, a 10 is a reroll, not a double success.

Rawhide
2008-03-24, 06:08 AM
We don't want to make the die roller too specific for a single game. It is a generic role playing die roller, allowing for all the dice you will ever need in an rpg (and many you won't, 1d7 anyone?).

Zherog
2008-03-24, 09:16 AM
1d7 is useful for determining the day of the week. :smallbiggrin:

Bookman
2008-03-24, 08:43 PM

In the game or in real life? I suspect real life would begin to disagree with you after awhile....

Dave Rapp
2008-03-25, 12:27 AM

Imagine a spell that does damage 1d7 days later. Complicated, much? :smalltongue:

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 06:36 AM
Hmm... how about this then, a notation similar to 4d6b3. Make it XdYcZ, where X is the number of dice, Y is the die size, and Z is the number you want it to count as a success?

So I could type:
[rollv ]3d10c7[/rollv ] and have it tell me how many 7-or-betters were rolled.

You'd still have to count your 10s manually, but it would be a little nicer at least :)

One thing, if you don't know the language someone is using /never/ assume any given task should be easy.

I know a little PHP, and I know a ton of other languages. I also did not say it would be easy, I said the logic would be simple, as in the actual mathematical formula used.

And in 2E exalted, 10s are simply counted as two successes, not rerolls ;)

Rawhide
2008-03-26, 06:59 AM

And in 2E exalted, 10s are simply counted as two successes, not rerolls ;)
This is exactly why we are not going to code for a specific game and revision.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 07:03 AM
Well, that was the point of my second suggestion, that it's a bit more generic and flexible.

Bookman
2008-03-26, 07:07 AM
But even now the rollv can't parse out the singular results of a "best of" group.