PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer career advancement?

bigbaddragon
2008-03-24, 10:23 AM
Me and my group were having our first glances through Warhammer basic rulebook last night and (given our grim expectations on character power) we were pleasantly surprised. Now this may be because we thought that different career's characteristics bonuses stack, meaning that each new career raises the maximum you can get in one characteristic by value shown in its advancement table (at least thats what we thought at first). But upon further inspection I've noticed a piece of text saying that when you exit one career and enter some other one and it has some characteristic higher (Balistics Skill for example) than the before mentioned characteristic overlap (doesn't stack). Am I reading this right?

If I'm being unclear (most likely) here is an example:
You start as elf and roll 15% for your Balistics Skill. Elves have starting 30% BS which gives you a total of 45% to your BS.

Now you enter a career which has +15% to BS in its advancement table and you buy all 15%. Your BS is 60%.

Now you enter an advanced career which has +25% to BS in its advancement table. How much more can you buy? 10% for a total of 70% or 25% for a total of 85%? I'm thinking you can buy 10%.

Another question is does this apply to number of attacks, wounds ...

Also if you have any suggestions for a nice elf archer build I'd be delighted to hear. Thanks all.

Cubey
2008-03-24, 10:26 AM
10%, for 70% total. At least that's how it was in 1st edition - I don't think they changed it in 2nd, as that'd cause characters to quickly max out all their stats. Same stuff for wounds, attacks and so on.

Pauwel
2008-03-24, 10:35 AM
It is the same for 2nd Edition. +10% equals 70% is the right answer.

bigbaddragon
2008-03-24, 10:38 AM
Then its as I thought it is. Thanks guys :smallsmile: .

Now, how about some archer builds advices?

its_all_ogre
2008-03-24, 10:57 AM
erm ones that advance BS?!
seriously WFRP is miles away from dnd in terms of 'character builds'. it is a much more 'roleplay' system compared to being a combat system (which dnd is)
(prepares self for flame war to the contrary):smallbiggrin:

bigbaddragon
2008-03-24, 11:27 AM
erm ones that advance BS?!
Yes.

seriously WFRP is miles away from dnd in terms of 'character builds'. it is a much more 'roleplay' system compared to being a combat system (which dnd is)

I'm quite aware of this and I'm fine with it and so far I like it :smallwink:. I'm just looking for a few tweaking advices (if tweaking is possible at all) since I'm (as you can see from the first post) very new at WH (opened the rulebook last night for the first time in my life).

Premier
2008-03-24, 11:37 AM
I agree with the above, especially in terms of character advancement. The beauty of WFRP is that no matter what career you start in, you can end up as pretty much any other career (excepting a few race-specific ones and maybe nobility(?)) eventually, as long as you're willing to invest time, energy and XP and your GM gives you the proper roleplaying opportunities to make the necessary jumps. And even if you need to take a circuitous route, that has it's upside: not only will you have a character with an interesting life story, but you'll also end up with lots of useful skills and talents that a more straightforward path wouldn't have given you.

Assuming you live long enough, that is. >:)

bigbaddragon
2008-03-24, 12:03 PM
...not only will you have a character with an interesting life story, but you'll also end up with lots of useful skills and talents that a more straightforward path wouldn't have given you.

I noticed that skills and talents are the things that make WH interesting. WH gives nice opportunities regarding what your character could learn and you often have choices, yet it feels simple enough so you don't have to browse 50+ books just to adjust your character's mechanics (which will be quite a relief in comparison with D&D).

Assuming you live long enough, that is. >:)

Wish me luck then :)

comicshorse
2008-03-24, 12:06 PM
Targetter is probably best for a P.C. who wants to be a great archer. ( Well apart from Champion, but that goes without saying )