PDA

View Full Version : It Rends!

LoneGamer
2008-03-24, 11:31 AM
Funny situation in my game last night.

A Justice Archon is slowly descending towards the party. The party confronts the archon, demanding to know what it's here for. The party is 3/5 Good, 2/5 CN. It raises its hand to point at an NPC, and then the group attacks! They nearly destroy the archon before realizing what's going on. They clue in as the NPC in question shifts into the form of a Cave Troll and begins to wreak havoc in the back ranks.

The PC Warlock's apprentice tries to flee, but the cave troll chases him down, and reduces him to a fine mist with the power of Rend. Here's how it went down (The game is level 8):
Main room
<Lone-DM> It's stabbed and frozen, but the troll continues on, it pounces on Morden!
<Lone-DM> 2 1d20+14 claws
<Kotoko> [Lone-DM: 2x1d20+14 -> 18 26] claws
<Lone-DM> 1d20+14 Rake
<Kotoko> [Lone-DM: 1d20+14 -> 15] Rake
<Lone-DM> 1d20+9 Bite
<Kotoko> [Lone-DM: 1d20+9 -> 24] Bite
<Garagos> ...
<Lone-DM> It rends!
<Garagos> ((lol dibs on his stuff))
<Lone-DM> 8d6+31 claw and rake damage
<Kotoko> [Lone-DM: 8d6+31 -> 63] claw and rake damage
<Lone-DM> 1d8+4 bite damage
<Kotoko> [Lone-DM: 1d8+4 -> 12] bite damage
<Lone-DM> 1d20+19 to grapple..
<Kotoko> [Lone-DM: 1d20+19 -> 35] to grapple..
<Lone-DM> Morden is grappled. If he's still alive. Garagos?
OOC room
<Taevus> For some reason, I love Lone's "It rends!"
* Ilya laughs
<Taevus> He's getting sadistc pleasure from this, methinks
<Garagos> alright he's dead
Main room
<Lone-DM> Morden is reduced to a fine bloody mist.

As was suggested, I thoroughly enjoyed this. Now I need a flying troll in case I need to lay down some smack again. I'm thinking a Half-Red Dragon Cave Troll.

DementedFellow
2008-03-24, 11:38 AM
Mind if I ask what die roller you use? I'm assuming this is IRC, right?

LoneGamer
2008-03-24, 11:49 AM
Yeah, IRC. One of my players has a bot, she got it from a friend. It works, though sometimes it seems like the random seeding is off.

Also, how would template stacking work for a Half-Fire Elemental, Half-Black Dragon Troll? Outsider(Fire)? Nothing can deal it lethal damage, so it should only be able to fall to Save or Die, right?

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-03-24, 11:52 AM
Why did they attack they archon? Was it just force of habit from killing too many sentient creatures with green skin & fangs, or was there some other crazy motive to it?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-24, 12:13 PM
IT RENDS! Aah, the pain!

LoneGamer
2008-03-24, 12:18 PM
Because the NPC who then proceeded to turn into the troll told them to. And they listened to her. Only after the archon was nearly killed by the trigger-happy rogue and warlock+apprentice did they realize it wasn't hostile. Calling out to the priestess in pain also helped, I think.

Keld Denar
2008-03-24, 12:19 PM
Apply 1/2 Golem to it means that nothing short of conjouration based fire and acid and nonmagical fire and acid can hurt it, because just about all of the save or dies have applicable SR, and 1/2 golem gives it SR=Infinite with regards to spells. Since 1/2 golem is an aquired template, you could make a half red dragon 1/2 golem wartroll that only takes damage from conjoured and nonmagical acid. That would be a tough combat, because even if the wizard had an orb of acid memorized, one would not be enough, and alchemical acid wouldn't do enough damage to bring down a 10+ HD wartroll. It'd be a combat that would be challenging for the PCs, forcing them to find another way other than "I hit it again" to deal with it. Unless one of them had a Caustic weapon....

Douglas
2008-03-24, 12:36 PM
If you really want that kind of cheese, take a look at the Ikea Tarrasque (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20160). Note: thread is long dead, please do not necro.

LoneGamer
2008-03-24, 01:02 PM
Eh. I don't plan to sic anything like this on the group, unless things get really cheesy and I feel a need to remind them they are not invincible.