PDA

View Full Version : I must be crazy, but.. (Voice Issues)

RationalGoblin
2008-03-24, 11:36 AM
So, I assume everyone here knows of people that love the sound of their own voice and such, right?

The people who keep talking and talking and talking, just to hear the sound of their voice?

Well, for me, I too talk a lot, but not on purpose, in fact, words just seem to spill out of me.

I'm the exact opposite of someone who loves the sound of their own voice. I say something to one person, my voice is too slow and dull sounding. I say something to another, my voice is too deep. Words said to another sound whiny and/or slurred (but not high-pitched.)

I seem to hate the sound of my own voice. It never sounds quite right. Every time I speak, my voice doesn't sound right, so I try to re-say almost everything I say. Even after I do that, it doesn't help much.

Has anyone here had this happen to them, and/or can anyone help me with my depressing obsession with the right voice?

Keep in mind I have this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers), so that might help in helping me.

Also, this has been going on for almost a year. Probably is the reason why I spend so much time on so many different forums too.

Unfortunately, like it says in my sig, I am absolutely honest on the Internet (Well, I DO exaggerate my age a little bit, but not much), so, basically, the "voice" I use in RL is the same as my internet "voice".

(Coincidentally, if I'm ever hard to understand, thats probably why.)

Anyways, yeah. I need help.

Brickwall
2008-03-24, 11:59 AM
You're a teenager, right? Because if you are, that's really your answer right there.

My advice is that your voice is probably not annoying to other people. Few people have a truly annoying voice. I mean, I have a nasal voice, my sibilant sounds whistle, and I stutter occasionally, and I still am pretty sure that the reason people avoid me has nothing to do with my voice (until I start singing of course). You're just a normal, self-concious person.

DraPrime
2008-03-24, 03:42 PM
I'd go with Brickwall's answer. I myself am 15 (16 on Thursday), and have a somewhat changing voice. Most of the time my voice will sound like that of an adult man, but sometimes I'll sound like I'm 10 years old again. Puberty seems to have a lot of half-way stuff. Certain "things" (you know what I mean) will get bigger, but not as big as they should be on an adult. Facial hair will grow, but not fully. It will pass once your vocal cords are done changing.

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-24, 03:49 PM
I hate my voice too! If I think about it while I speak, it sounds whiny and nasally. So I don't think about it. I don't think it sounds that annoying to other people, though apparently it changes significantly when I'm actually pouting or whining.
I do NOT allow myself to listen to my voice when it's recorded. Because it sounds 10 times deeper and more boyish than I hear it in my head.
Chicks can hate their voice too!

Also, Dragonprime, WOO! 3 DAYS!

Brickwall
2008-03-24, 03:54 PM
Puberty seems to have a lot of half-way stuff. Certain "things" (you know what I mean) will get bigger, but not as big as they should be on an adult. Facial hair will grow, but not fully. It will pass once your vocal cords are done changing.

That...okay, I apparently missed that part of puberty :smalleek:

Stop reminding me that I'm a freak of nature. :smallannoyed:

But, yeah, vocal chords change, and so do other things that affect your voice (mouth shape, air passages, throat shape, adam's apple...). Give it a couple years before you decide how much you hate it.

Koga
2008-03-25, 12:26 PM
Take it from me: I don't give a crap what you sound like, only what's coming out of your mouth.

Though it probably isn't anything I want to hear anyway. All you meatbags ever talk about is your worthless opinions and petty little problems.:smallannoyed:

Totally Guy
2008-03-25, 12:35 PM
I sometimes get scared that I sound like David Mitchel who plays Mark in a programme called Peepshow. It's all the more scary because the character he plays is always talking to himself and the whole show is shot in first person.

I'm far less hateful than that character though. And I don't think I do sound like him, but sometimes I fear I will sound like him. If you know what i mean.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-03-25, 01:03 PM
Just remember that the way you hear your voice is not the way others hear it. So if it seems to sound bad, it must be good! :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-25, 01:39 PM
I have Aspergers Symdrome as well, but I've found that most people hate what their voice sounds like if it's recorded and they hear it. I think it's mainly because they aren't used to hearing it. I don't know if there's anything that you can do to change how your voice sounds to you, though (it may change after you've finished puberty, though). Also, how would being completely honest be a problem?

CrazedGoblin
2008-03-25, 01:47 PM
i hate the sound of my own voice to, hate listening to it make smy skin crawl

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-25, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=Brickwall;4098174]That...okay, I apparently missed that part of puberty :smalleek:

Stop reminding me that I'm a freak of nature. :smallannoyed:
QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one....

About voice troubles : Apparently earlier I talked to loud, and now I talk to soft, causing trouble with people hearing me, which is probably the result of me talking to myself to much...

Kaelaroth
2008-03-25, 01:59 PM
If it's really bothering you, and seems slightly more than just normal age-related voice fluctuations (if you're a teen), ask someone who you're close to if your voice sounds OK. They'll probably say you're just imagining it.

If not, there's always elocution lessons, which I hear can be incredibly sucessful with changing both the tone, accent, or formation of speech.

Lyesmith
2008-03-25, 02:02 PM
i coud do with elocution. my diction is terrible. my current cold is not helping matters.

Trog
2008-03-25, 02:03 PM
When I was a kid I had to sing into a tape recorder and listen to my voice played back to me. I sounded like Charlie Brown. :smalleek:

Ever since then I decided that I really have no idea what I sound like. :smallannoyed:

Dragor
2008-03-25, 02:31 PM
I have to say, I'm pretty much the same. I'm fifteen years of age and my voice is all over the place. When I'm amongst friends and having a good time, I'm generally quite loud and high pitched. When talking to family and new people I'm much more subdued, quiet and deep. I adjust my voice depending on who I'm talking to, I don't know why. :smallconfused:

I'd say 'don't worry about it', but it's clear that you already are worried about it. I can advise little, except to stick with it, and the phase will go eventually.

Agamid
2008-03-26, 10:43 AM
I have a mind speech impairment and HATE to sound of my own voice, it's too lazy and i sound 6. Sometimes it takes me about 3 or 4 times to get particular words right, and i just cannot say other words. it drives me nuts.
But, apparently i'm the only one who notices... i mean, of course people notice when i try and fail to say a word, but unless i tell people that i have a speech impairment, they don't seem to notice.
What people do notice though, is that my voice is really quiet (though i don't notice this). I have really, really good hearing and when i speak it seems to be at the same volume as everyone else, but apparently it's like i'm whispering, and seriously, i've tried and tried and tried to be louder, but it just doesn't work... I can either be yelling or whispering it seems... but nothing in between.

I need to practice my phone voice, methinks, as everyone thinks i'm my mum when i answer the phone and my mum has a great voice.