PDA

View Full Version : Warbeast Animal Companion

Fhaolan
2008-03-24, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

Quick opinion question on Animal Companions (Druid or Ranger).

The warbeast template in MMII (which was updated to 3.5 in the MMII 3.5 Upgrade booklet)... do you think it's valid to have an AC with this template, and how much of a effective druid level hit do you think it would be?

I'm not sure it is valid, as the Druid entry in the PHB calls out light and heavy horse, but not light and heavy warhorse. With the template, it's definately not a wild animal, it's domesticated. However, except for 'extreme' druids, I can't see excuding domesticated animals. Especially for Rangers. I'm undecided on the issue which is why, of course, I turn to the forum for opinions. :smallsmile:

Lyndworm
2008-03-24, 05:55 PM
I would allow it, personally. Of course, you'd have to abide by my number one rule "the fluff must match the crunch." With a reasonable backstory, I'd let you get away with pretty much anything, mechanically speaking.

Paul H
2008-04-06, 07:36 PM
Hi

Some time ago, I had Wartrained Rhino as a companion for my Druid. Had him as 'normal' companion, but had to pay for the extra training. (Came out of my GP allowance for that level).

Bad news is that they take so long to train, so you can't replace them when they die.

Cheers
Paul H

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-06, 07:47 PM
You can have magebred/horrid animal companions, so I don't see why not.

p.s. Just to clarify, although the entry in the magebred template states they are not available as AC, there's a magebred ghost tiger (ghost tiger is just a tiger, not a tiger with ghost template) from FN (Five Nations; Eberron campaign) that lists it as an AC.