PDA

View Full Version : Need some help building this character.

HandofBlades
2008-03-24, 12:34 PM
If you just finished the Seven of Seven campaign please do not read this!!

That aside, my friends and I going to run a game soon where we are sucked into a fantasy world and we are going to play ourselves. For stats we all voted on what we thought each member of the group had in stats, excluding the person who was being voted on. We also did the same for race and for class. When all was said and done I finished up with these stats adding a plus two for cartoon effect on my primary stat, which was intelligence, these stats also factor in racial mods I am getting.

Strength: 10
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 15
Wisdom: 6
Charisma: 10

My class was decided as Hexblade and my race is a Zai, which was homebrewed for our world. I have never played a Hexblade before and after looking it up I don't think I can play one with these stats and even remotely be effective.

Keld Denar
2008-03-24, 12:38 PM
Here is the Hexblade handbook from the CharOp boards...
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=851379

Its worth noting that Hexblade is a strongly Cha based class. Having a 10 Cha is going to mean that the DC for your Hexblade Curse feature is going to be 10. You also aren't going to be able to cast any Hexblade spells unless you can find a stat boosting item.

With your stats, I'd suggest a nice wizard or a factotum. Those would make better use of your stats.

HandofBlades
2008-03-24, 12:42 PM
I know Hexblade is a heavy charisma class, but we are starting at level 4 and I have to be a level 4 Hexblade to begin with in this game. If I multiclass into something else for level five I am going to take experience penalties. Right now I am just looking for a way to make this work, if it can.

TempusCCK
2008-03-24, 12:56 PM
CHA boosting items.

sonofzeal
2008-03-24, 01:18 PM
I had a DM do this to me once, by handing me a lvl1 Half-Elven Ranger with 11 Dex and 10 Wis, highest stat was Cha 13. I got back at him by multiclassing into Bard, pumping Handle Animal through the roof, and returning to play with a trio of Leopards (should have been Polar Bears, but he wouldn't allow that). Fun fun.

Anyway, can you switch that Int for Cha? If not, beg your DM to let you change classes, because you'll be completely useless otherwise. If he STILL says no, have your character lose a fight (not hard) and commit ritual suicide at his disgrace. Then roll up something actually decent.

Kurald Galain
2008-03-24, 01:29 PM
Anyway, can you switch that Int for Cha? If not, beg your DM to let you change classes, because you'll be completely useless otherwise.
I agree. Having a 10 in your primary stat is not really viable in D&D. Unless you're a warlock, that is.

Animefunkmaster
2008-03-24, 01:58 PM
Hmmm, this one is a little tough.

First: Can you use the cartoon effect on charisma?

Second: Do you want to be melee or ranged? I don’t see this coming out as a caster type, and the hit to charisma will nock out most of your class abilities early. You do have Mettle, a good bab, good hd and a once per day curse. A quick thought to add to this would be a 3 levels of swashbuckler and then go blackguard (using it’s sneak attack to qualify for daring outlaw possibly?). Can’t really power attack with most finesse-able weapons, although a spiked chain seems like a solid choice.

But lets work more with what you have, mainly prc. Lets try a quick build up.(PS: I can’t find Zai for the life of me, so your racial abilities/favored class is a mystery… hopefully it is fighter ^^ which would help a lot with feats, and allow multiclassing):

Hexblade 5/Blackguard5/Hospitaller 1/Cavalier 9

Feats:
Defect)Power Attack
1)Improved Sunder
B)Cleave
3)Mounted Combat
6)Ride By Attack
9)Spirited Charge
B) Weapon Focus Lance
12) Improved Bullrush
15) Shocktrooper
18)Combat Brute

Stats: Even out your int first, then your con, then pump str. You will be wearing fullplate, say goodbye to those few hexblade spells, your are sticking with the blackguard for healing and buffs.

*Your Fiendish servant is based off of character level, horse is an option. I would ask if you could get a heavy warhorse for your fiendish servant, so you can have a reasonable mount. You want to be wielding a lance with two hands and charging a lot… you will want to procure an item that will grant you pounce. I am not sure how your dm will rule it, but your mount has evasion, and you are riding it… and you have mettle… Arcane Resistance and Dark Blessing.

Edit: I am assuming that magic items will get your wisdom up to 13
Edit2: This Alignments you into being lawful evil... try and find the local necromancer and command some of his zombies to join you. Use a bag of tricks+ a Dagger + Deathknell for a good buff

Third: Your familiar is going to be stronger than most casters, but is still nothing special. You might want to sub it out for the PHB2 dark companion variant (essentially a moving debuff that can’t die, seems really worth while).