PDA

View Full Version : Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 3

Pages : [1] 2 3

dauphinous
2008-03-24, 04:02 PM
Chapter 3: "Something stinks, and it ain't my socks."

Highgate: the city that stands between the barbaric orc, gnoll, and kobold clans of the north and the civilized Imperial lands to the south. A brave band of soldiers patrol the lands around the city, battling small force incursions. Of the twelve that once stood as the proud members of that band, only six remain, their numbers bolstered to seven by the addition of one brave soul.

The team, led by a resolute cleric of Thor, has been, according to that cleric, sent on a mission to tame the northlands, perhaps for good. As it now stands, they have cleverly found their way into an enemy encampment by virtue of being attacked in the night and taken prisoner. It was only a matter of time and effort for them to manage to free themselves, and six of our hardy heroes now plot to overthrow their captors while the crafty gnome investigates the encampment.

---

The stakes take a fair amount of effort to pull from the ground. Probably unsurprisingly, they have been designed with hooks that make them difficult to remove from their resting places. Carter can pull them up with some help, and soon all fourteen are free, if desired.

A simple tripwire can be set up quickly, then it just seems to be a matter of waiting for someone to trip it.

oliana0
2008-03-24, 04:38 PM
Oliana

"Oh, and if you can get the Orcs to line up, I can shoot them all with lightening. Was that important information that I left out?"

Okay, I remember changing a ray of frost to Mending, thinking we were safely camped for the night; I switched that back. And Oliana casted Fire!Ball! 'yesterday', so she's down one level two spell that would have come in handy 'today' I suppose.

Annalia
2008-03-24, 06:03 PM
Hertz

"Sir, where do I stand? Perhaps it'd be best to let me hold the rope with you, and put Oliana in front of the entrance. That way, she can fry the orcs if they line up or step back behind the others if they don't."

anIceFan
2008-03-24, 06:25 PM
Nalik

That is a good idea Hertz. Oliana can stand behind the others. She probably has the best chance of putting them down with a minimum of ruckus. Remember, we want to draw as little attention as possible. We are in no shape for a direct confrontation.

lawful_evil
2008-03-24, 06:37 PM
Carter

Carter readies himself, also unsure where to stand to be most effective. When he sees people preparing to 'hold' the rope as a trip line he just has to offer, "Sir, we have a couple of these stakes, you could use them to anchor the ends of the rope and hold it tight so you don't have to be so close to the entrance."

{{ OOC : Is this whole tent surrounded by orcs? Can't we just leave? Must we stand here and wait? }}

Torger
2008-03-25, 03:54 AM
Hengist

Hengist wields the viciously hooked stake with the casual familiarity of someone who's bludgeoned more than one person into insensibility with an improvised club. They will fall silent... Silent as the grave... Grinning to himself at his personal joke, Hengist stands at the ready.

Holocron Coder
2008-03-25, 06:53 AM
Deladus

Nodding grimly, Deladus takes one of the stakes and, depending on its size or heft, wields it as a club or dagger.

anIceFan
2008-03-26, 02:46 PM
Nalik

As he awaits the return of Sarrok, Nalik meditates on Thor.

Just want to say that I am waiting on Sarrok's spy mission before we take any action. I am not sure if D' is waiting for W'B's real life to sort itself out, but we can't really do anything yet.

btw, Nalik is preparing Spiritual weapon.

dauphinous
2008-03-27, 01:30 PM
The stakes seem to be closest to a dagger, and can be wielded as such. The lights Sarrok left behind go out as everyone is figuring out what to do and where to stand, leaving the tent in darkness again.

It seems like a very long time passes, though in reality, it is probably closer to five or six minutes when the flap that has been determined to be the front flips open. The light that is let in by this action is dim, like that of twilight or dawn. A single orc is looking off at something to the side as he prepares to step inside. He is dressed in studded leather armor and has a pitcher in one arm, while the other is holding the flap open. He has no obvious weapons.

Several voices can be heard outside, though only one of them seems to be close/loud enough to be made out distinctly.

Words in Orcish:"..so be quick getting the girl."

{initiative, please}

anIceFan
2008-03-27, 01:52 PM
Nalik

As the flap opens, Nalik tenses himself preparing to pull the rope taught.

[roll0]

Torger
2008-03-27, 03:42 PM
Hengist

Hengist, at the ready, prepares to stab the orc in the throat.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Penalties for improv weapons not included, and damage assumes a dagger.

Annalia
2008-03-27, 04:12 PM
Hertz (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=113)

Much like Nalik, Hertz tugs on the rope and prepares to keep it taunted as the orc steps in.

[roll0] - 9
[roll1] - 4 With a check like that, I'm more likely to get tripped. :smalleek:

lawful_evil
2008-03-27, 04:24 PM
Carter

Carter, ready with the dagger, waits for the signal to pounce like a sabertooth tiger on a goblin child.

Get the girl?

[roll0]
[roll1] minus impro weapon
[roll2] minus impro weapon
[roll3]
[roll4] if possible
[roll5] if crit

oliana0
2008-03-27, 06:52 PM
Oliana

Yeah, get the girl. I dare you.

Oliana reaches to her waist and panics momentarily. Quickly, she recovers and prepares to cast a spell, should the Orc get past the first rank.

[roll0]
Forgot she had no spell component pouch. Limits the spells a bit.
Ready Magic Missile if Orc doesn't fall at the door.

Holocron Coder
2008-03-28, 06:33 AM
Deladus

Holding to see if the orc gets tripped, Deladus prepares.

Wait to see if trip. If not...

[roll0]
[roll1]

dauphinous
2008-03-28, 06:50 PM
The orc nods, presumably to the speaker, but there isn't any way to actually tell. His head turns to look into the tent as he steps forward. Nalik pulls, and Hertz is a little slow to react to the immediate tension. The result is the orc taking a little bit of a hop with a mildly surprised grunt and landing heavily on his other foot.

Carter and Hengist are both ready for anything, though. Carter's upward thrust gets deflected around the orc as Hengist's spike shoves the orc in an unexpected direction. Specifically, to the ground. The pitcher that the orc was carrying falls to the ground, smashing to pieces and splashing liquid that is probably water onto everyone nearby, though there is hardly enough to get anyone well and truly wet. The orc is down on the ground, arterial spray gushing out, with just another small grunt at about the same time as the tent flap falls shut again.

anIceFan
2008-03-28, 10:25 PM
Nalik

With the orc down, Naliks first thought is to keep him quiet, at the least. He whispers
Silence him!

lawful_evil
2008-03-29, 08:15 AM
Carter

Silence him, eh?

Carter tightens his grip on his stake and pretends the orc is a vampire.

[roll0] minus improv weapon
[roll1] Die you blood sucking bastage!

dauphinous
2008-03-30, 08:17 AM
The orc, already going glassy-eyed, stops even gurgling a little as Carter finishes him off. The blood spray slows down, though a puddle is forming under it. Just as he and Hengist get the orc quietly to the ground, the back of the tent rustles and Sarrok's voice whispers, "It's me, Sarrok. I've got good news and bad news. And really bad news."

His footsteps can barely be heard as he pads over to where everyone else is. He makes his way around everyone, pressing things into people's hands. "The good news is that I found our stuff and was able to liberate some of it."

OOC:Here's what you get back right now.
Carter: cold iron mw long sword, amulet nat armor +1
Deladus: cloak of resistance +1
Hengist: mw shortspear, amulet nat armor +1
Hertz: amulet mighty fist +1, bracers of armor +1
Nalik: Thor's Hammer, holy symbol
Oliana: spell component pouch, wand of Magic Missile (CL3), pearls of power (all 4 of them)

lawful_evil
2008-03-30, 02:15 PM
Carter

Carter happily accepts something more normal as weapon and then gets a dejected look. You brought the sword? When have I ever even used this? Oh well. Carter sighs and then whispers back, "What is the bad news? And where is the rest of our stuff?"

Carter straps on his sword and fastens his necklace. Now that he looks all pretty, he is definitely ready for battle.

While Sarrok explains the rest of the news, Carter searches the dead orc for supplies, weapons, gear, boots, maps, tattoos, anything.

Torger
2008-03-30, 04:42 PM
Hengist

Hengist takes the offered supplies without comment, donning the amulet and holding the Spear in his main hand. He drags the Orc off to the side and takes up a position near the entrance, prepared to do violence on any others who might enter, either with his spear or the still dripping stake.

oliana0
2008-03-31, 12:03 AM
Oliana

"Oo, goodie. I'm dangerous again."

"How many are there? Can we fight our way out?"

dauphinous
2008-03-31, 06:34 AM
"The bad news is that we're in the middle of an orc encampment. How many are there? A lot. There is probably a whole clan out there. There's a human that I think is in charge, and I saw El- the thing that looks like Elis. The rest of our stuff is in the human's tent. I just grabbed what I thought I could carry and still not be seen. He came back before I could get too far. Most of it, I think, is in the couple of locked chests there. No lockpicks, though, so I'm not sure."

lawful_evil
2008-03-31, 07:39 AM
Carter

While Sarrok explains the rest of the news, Carter searches the dead orc for supplies, weapons, gear, boots, maps, tattoos, anything.

Carter says, "Obviously, Nalik's hammer there might be handy at smashing open the chests, but we'd have to be quick about it. How far away is the tent? Maybe you could draw us a little map of the place in the dirt?"

No lockpicks? I thought thieves could use sticks and all sort of things are improvised lockpicks.

After a moment Carter then asks, "Okay, so what was the really bad news?"

oliana0
2008-03-31, 09:49 AM
Oliana

"The human's probably the one we want dead most. Rats. If we had know this, and I had this, before the Orc came in I could have gotten taken away and killed him real quick." Oliana gestures to her component pouch as she speaks.

Looking down at the Orc dead on the ground, and then up to Hengist, then back to the dead Orc. "Don't suppose he's got enough equipment to disguise Hengist as an Orc, do you?"

dauphinous
2008-03-31, 09:52 AM
Sarrok starts to draw a crude map in the dirt and shrugs. "That was pretty much all the bad news at once. I guess I could also say that there's no way you guys are all getting out without being seen, even one at a time."

Carter finds a suit of studded leather, a belt, a single dagger, and plain boots. The pitcher is smashed.

"The 'x' is us. A is an open area that looks like it's set up for cooking, but about 20 orcs are sparring right now. B is a supply tent. C is where the human and...the notElis were last I saw. That's where our stuff is, and I think one of those two uses it for his living space. There are orcs all over the place, everywhere. C has two guards for sure. We're in the middle of the woods. They didn't cut the trees down to set up a camp here. These circles are just a rough guess of how many little tents are out there. Oh, and they have orcs patrolling the outer edge of the camp, and there are females here, and children, too. It looks like it's morning to me."

Drawing (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/sarrokscribbles.jpg)

Torger
2008-03-31, 10:20 AM
Hengist

Glancing back toward the group, Hengist shifts his grip on the shaft of his shortspear. What is our goal here, aside from escape? Do we want the skraels dead, or are we just to escape? If we are here to eliminate the Skraeling threat, then do we kill women and children?

lawful_evil
2008-03-31, 10:55 AM
Carter

Carter nods and hands Deladus the dagger saying, "Here, this will work better than that stake." He puts the boots on himself and then after smelling the studded leather offers it to Deladus as well. "I've got my amulet. If you want it, you can use this." He holds up the studded leather. If rejected by Deladus, he'll take it as better than nothing.

Looking at the map, Carter's jaw just drops. Turning to Nalik he inquires, "What's the plan? Should we just storm "A" grab our stuff and run for it?"

anIceFan
2008-03-31, 01:29 PM
Nalik

Nalik takes the hammer and the Holy symbol. Interestingly, he is more assured by the representation of Thor than by the fact that he is once again armed.

He listens to Sarrok's report and then the conversation / questions from the others.
My only interest right now is to recover our gear and get out of here. We do not have the resources to take on an entire orc clan. The same goes for Elis and the human. If we kill any of these, it will only be a bonus.

Can you describe this other human? I wonder if it is Astryn?

Morning you say. That may work to our advantage. Orcs work much better in the dark than in bright sunlight.He looks down at the dead orc. Of course we don't know how soon they will start missing this one. Thinks for moment.
We need a distraction. Oliana, can you cause the area to the west of area A to go up in flames, without them knowing that we started it? If can get that, we can all move up to retrieve our equipment.

oliana0
2008-03-31, 03:10 PM
Oliana

"Nothing firey that wouldn't give up it's source. Sarrok, did you see an owl anywhere nearby while you were out there?"

dauphinous
2008-04-01, 12:07 PM
"I didn't see the owl, but I wasn't looking for it." Sarrok shrugs. "I moved pretty fast through the camp. The guy was tall and big like Hengist, had a big sword, and I remember that little dragon telling us he wore blue dragon armor. That's what his armor looked like to me."

Holocron Coder
2008-04-01, 10:59 PM
Deladus

Thanking Carter, Deladus dons his cloak and the offered armor, grasping the dagger as he looks at the map. "With so many of them here, I imagine escape would be our best bet... Then, when we are in less immediate danger, we can harry this clan until our mission complete."

Blushing slightly at talking so much, he adds, "Such is my opinion, anyway..."

anIceFan
2008-04-03, 11:03 AM
Nalik

We need a distraction to draw the majority of the Orcs away while we escape. The best distration that I can think of is a fire. I want Sarrok and Oliana to work their way over to the east of where the cooking / sparring area is. Once you are there start a fire. Make sure that you have time to get away before they notice it though. Then come and meet us at the humans tent.

I am assuming north is up on the map.

Annalia
2008-04-03, 05:00 PM
Hertz

Hertz put on his equipment, listening to the ongoing conversation silently. He didn't have much to add, and agreed with Nalik's plan. There wasn't much more they could do here.

lawful_evil
2008-04-03, 05:34 PM
Carter

Carter nods at Deladus and helps him into the stinky leather. Never know when another one will walk in, so speed may be important.

Once Carter has hit wits about him again he simply nods at Nalik and says, "Ready."

I don't like these odds. Too many of them, too few of us. No gear, limited magical support, and the strongest, most annoying foe we've ever faced.... Remember what dad said... run away and live to fight another day.

oliana0
2008-04-05, 09:43 PM
Oliana

"Makes me wish I had an invisibility spell. Ready."

lawful_evil
2008-04-08, 07:16 PM
Carter

Carter takes several deep breaths while he waits for the action to get going and seeing everyone still standing around, Carter asks, "Well.. what are we waiting for lets do this." Carter follows Oliana and Sarrok(or Hengist) to the tent exit, ready to charge out and defend them, should they be noticed sneaking out.

anIceFan
2008-04-09, 11:20 AM
Nalik

Deciding that Sarrok would be used better to help them find and open anything in the tent, Nalik decides to send Hengist out to guard Olana, He seemed to be good at causing mayhem anyway.

Oliana and Hengist, go out the back of the tent like Sarrok did and make your way over to this gap (points to a spot north east of A) And start making things burn. Then make your way around to the humans tent. Be swift but safe.

oliana0
2008-04-09, 03:20 PM
Oliana

"Alright." Oliana gestures to the back of the tent where Nalik pointed. "After you."

Oliana will follow Hengist out of the tent.

Torger
2008-04-09, 05:28 PM
Hengist

Hengist grunts in acknowledgment of the order and rolls out under the the tent canvas. Springing to his feet, he holds up the edge for Oliana, and sets off toward the objective, moving silently and keeping to the shadows.

Hide +9
Move silently +10
Survival to find out where the hell I'm going, +8

dauphinous
2008-04-10, 07:27 AM
Hengist rolls out of the tent blindly, right into the leg of a female orc carrying a baby orc. Both look down at Hengist, complete surprise etched on the woman's face. The baby makes a grunting sort of noise that is probably the orcish equivalent of cooing.

OOC:Torger may roll an initiative to see if he can do something before the woman does anything.

dauphinous
2008-04-10, 11:06 AM
Hengist rolls quickly to his feet, grabs the woman with a hand clamped firmly over her mouth, and starts to pull. She stomps down on his instep, chomps on his finger, and thumps a fist into his groin, thus enabling her to shout out, <orcish>"Prisoner loose!" The baby starts screaming.

oliana0
2008-04-10, 12:22 PM
Oliana

Oliana was just about to raise the flap to follow Torger when she hears the Orcish woman call out. "Or, we could use that as a distraction."

Turning quickly to Nalik, "Shall I make that tent go up in flames or save it?" Oliana points to the tent just next to the one they are in.

anIceFan
2008-04-10, 12:49 PM
Nalik

Narf!
responding to Oliana,
Yes, as many as you can. Make them burn. Everyone else lets move out. Stealth is gone. Sarrok, lets see if there is a way to get to our gear, if not, we need to just get out of here.

I am not sure if I am holding on to the gear too much. Dangit it was cool and I want it back!

oliana0
2008-04-10, 04:13 PM
Oliana

"Hengist, Drop and Roll!"

Oliana flips up the tent where the little Orc baby is screaming from and gestures a bit with words of magic slipping from her lips, raises her hands and flames fly from them spreading out, licking over the Orc woman and child and hitting the tent on the other side of the pair.

The drawing was down earlier. Oliana aims to him the Orc and the tent behind her. Trying to avoid Hengist, but if it's a choice between not lighting the tent and not hitting Hengist, Oliana lights the tent.
[roll0]

lawful_evil
2008-04-10, 04:58 PM
Carter : AC(10) HP(52 / 52)

Carter was at the flap ready to pounce should something happen. Having knowledge of the orcish language, he quickly realized the situation even before Nalik said something.

Twisting under the tent edge, Carter unwinds himself with his sword out striking out at the woman and her screaming alarm child.

[roll0]
[roll1] Kill the alarm
[roll2]
[roll3] Cleave onto Mother
[roll4]
[roll5] Crit Confirm (19-20).. I'm an optimist
[roll6] Crit extra damage

Holocron Coder
2008-04-11, 06:32 AM
Deladus

Also understanding the shouting, Deladus moves outside the tent and looks around quickly. Once he finds the direction to the closest edge of the orc village, he'll point it out to the rest.

[roll0]

anIceFan
2008-04-11, 04:12 PM
Nalik

Rolling out of the tent. Nalik will see if he can grab something that is burning, without burning himself, and throw it on another tent.

Stick together. Lets try and see if we can spread this fire.

I don't think it is needed but [roll0]

Annalia
2008-04-11, 06:53 PM
Hertz

As they flee through the orc camp, Hertz will grab any torch he can find and throw it on tents, especially if it looks like a military one.

dauphinous
2008-04-11, 08:12 PM
The tent seems to have sprouted a leak of Defenders, as everyone scrambles for an hasty escape. Like rats fleeing a sinking ship, people scatter for the edges of the camp. Oliana starts casting her spell, provoking a fist to the face from the orc woman. The spell fizzles from the interruption, though Carter's attack on the two orcs does find a home. She isn't silenced by the sword in precisely the way Carter intended, but she does back up without making any more noise. For now.

There don't seem to be any lit torches anywhere nearby. Or anything burning at all anywhere along anyone's path, for that matter. There is a great deal of surprise about the prison break, though. The orcs are slow to react, and if anyone wants to try more distraction tactics, this is the time.

It doesn't look like any particular edge of the camp is closer than any other particular edge. in fact, there is no clear indication of where those edges specifically are. Sarrok streaks off in the direction he indicated the gear was on his crude map.

In general, this camp does not appear to be laid out in a particularly orderly fashion. There are tents in clumps, some are surrounded by empty space, and the larger ones are all visible from the prisoner tent. All of this is under a canopy of large trees with spreading branches. For its hasty creation, Sarrok actually did a reasonably fair representation of the place, though the size wasn't particularly well represented. It is large enough to house probably an entire clan of orcs.

OOC: Oliana takes 5 points non-lethal damage.
No, the baby doesn't count as a separate creature. That would be a sunder action, basically. I directed the attack at the woman instead.
Anyone who wants to try doing something other than running for the border should very clearly explain what that is.

anIceFan
2008-04-12, 11:48 AM
Nalik

Seeing Oliana fail in her attempt to set the tents on fire, Nalik decides to see if his lightning can do the trick. He raises it and points at a tent to the south, releasing a bolt. He will then follow Sarrok along the path he is following. If he gets a chance, he will recognize that the larger tent (B) is the supply tent that Sarrok described and hit that with a bolt as well.

This way.

Trading turn undead for lightningfrom hammer
[roll0] if needed
[roll1] I am really mostly interested in fire and destruction to the tents.
[roll2] if needed
[roll3] Still want fire

Annalia
2008-04-12, 12:25 PM
Hertz

Using his superior speed to dash left without loosing track of the group, Hertz chooses a tent - any tent - and checks what the poles are made of. If they're made of wood, he'll hold one, set his foot in-between and push hard to break through it.

If it succeeds, he'll also tug hard on the broken end still attached to the tent, causing it to collapse at least partly.

OOC:
Yeah, it doesn't distract as much as fire, but it still causes confusion. Of course, I think I need to succeed on a Str Check for that one... something at which I fail. :smalleek:
[roll0]
[roll1] - In case I need to dodge an AoO. Which reminds me I do have Mobility, if that does end up happening.

lawful_evil
2008-04-12, 02:38 PM
Carter

Not really familiar with how to cause chaos, Carter takes his lead from Hertz and begins using his sword(two handed) to slash support ropes and smash tent poles along the route between X and A.

Slashing :

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

After a few tents he really gets into this smash thing. All the same Carter tries to stay focused so he can cut down any orcs he meets(hopefully using his sneak attack).

Carter also picks a medium sized tent along the route and runs towards it, jumping up with a massive slash and allows his body mass and sword to carry him right onto the tent, hopefully collapsing it underneath him.

Jump :

[roll6] (This means his feet hit the tent 4' up, with his body and sword 8' beyond that)
[roll7] (in case its needed)
[roll8] (in case its needed)

Torger
2008-04-12, 03:06 PM
Hengist

Hengist runs full-tilt toward the tent that's supposed to contain his equipment, intent on recovering his boar spear and turning it against the skraelings.

oliana0
2008-04-12, 04:40 PM
Oliana

A bit stunned by the Orc's hand, Oliana renews her distaste of Orcs and proceeds to call the Orc a very unfriendly term in Orcish. Seeing the group being to rampage an Orc encampment, the irony does not fail her and she smiles a bit, keeping pace with Nalik and brandishing her wand.

Zap anyone that gets in Nalik's way, staying behind him.

dauphinous
2008-04-13, 06:34 AM
Within a very short period of time, the camp has erupted into pockets of chaos. Tents are collapsing from Hertz and Carter's onslaught. Nalik only burns holes clean through the sides of two tens as he stops to send lightning bolts off at them, but there must have been something flammable inside the supply tent that he also hit, because the hole is soon producing smoke.

Oliana zaps four different orcs in Nalik's way, two as they're about to jump at him from behind. Though only one seems to be knocked to the ground from the attack, all are at least distracted enough by it to allow the spreading of chaos to continue unchecked.

Hengist, running flat out for it, is the first to reach the tent where the team's gear is supposed to be. A half-elven man, about five and half feet tall and with brownish hair pulled back in a short pontytail, is just stepping out and looking off into the camp, presumably to see what the commotion is. He is dressed in studded leathers, dyed black, with black boots whose toes seem to have been reinforced with some kind of dull metal. There is a lute in one hand and a rapier belted at his waist.

Hengist is able to duck behind a nearby tent, and the man doesn't seem to have noticed him.

Luck might just possibly be with the gnome today, for the point at which he comes chuffing around a nearby tent corner just happens to coincide with the half-elf ducking his head only back into the large tent. Sarrok stops and dives for a different tent, ducking out of sight.

Just as Sarrok's little gnome legs disappear, the half-elf starts jogging towards the ruckus everyone else is raising.

Carter finds that a small selection of orcs object to his actions in a rather specific and violent sort of way, and finds himself bogged down by a group of orcs who are doing their best to surround him and beat him to the ground. His objection to that seems to be carrying the day at this point.

OOC:Hengist and Sarrok are close enough to the tent with the gear that, if they wanted to just openly dive through the open front flap, they could do so within two rounds.

Nalik and Oliana are about five rounds behind them. Oliana has used 4 charges so far.

Hertz, unless otherwise desired, is pulling up and/or breaking tent poles, and narrowly avoiding orc hostility. He is farther away than Nalik and Oliana from the tent in question.

Carter is attracting a lot of orc attention, all of it intent on delivering a cease and desist order. At any given time, there are five surrounding him, and a couple of bodies on the ground. He is only a couple of tents away from the prisoner tent.

Deladus...has no post. I have selected to assume that he would therefore prefer to participate in the wreaking of havoc. Any sort of action desired can still be retro'ed at this point. With my next post, I will assume he is (at the time of this post) in a situation similar to Carter's if there continues to be no post.

So, Hengist needs to indicate his plan of assault, and everyone else can declare if they want to change their tactics or keep with them.

lawful_evil
2008-04-13, 07:38 AM
Carter

Sick of being bogged down by protestors, Carter does his best to keep moving so that he doesn't fall behind. Once he catches up with the rest of the team, he'll start to cause chaos again and see about getting some of his stuff and/or helping Hengist with the chest.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] or another attack if the first missed
[roll3]
Tumble away when needed.. take a 10 for a total of 19

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6] or another attack if the first missed
[roll7]
Tumble away when needed.. take a 10 for a total of 19

etc

Torger
2008-04-13, 09:33 AM
Hengist

Whispering a swift prayer to the gods fro strength and endurance, Hengist makes his final sprint toward the tent, ready to stab any ho might oppose him, up to and including a poncey half-alf.

Annalia
2008-04-13, 11:22 AM
Hertz

Hertz will forgo destroying more tents for the moment, instead sprinting up to Nalik and Oliana, and past them. He'll target tents farther along the way, intent on drawing attention on himself and allowing the two of them to reach the gear tent faster. Little by little, he'll also try to come closer to it.

Use Tumble when needed. If I can have a trail of orc trying to catch up to me while I occasionally put down a tent, it'd be perfect.

anIceFan
2008-04-13, 05:48 PM
Nalik

Realizing that Carter, Deladus, and Hertz are not with them, Nalik Stops to look for them. First he sees that Hertz is making his way towards them and then the pockets of Orcs that must identify the locations of their wayward party members. Oliana, we have to help Carter and Deladus. He will turn and start heading back. As he passes Hertz, Sarrok and Hengist are making for our supplies see if you can help.
He then continues back towards the nearest of the other 2 comrades.

If any enemies try to stop him, he will fight them with his hammer.
If no one gets in the way, and there is a path, he will charge into the foes.

[roll0] +2 if charge
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

If charge, AC = 8

Does anyone else think that Highgate will need to hire a whole new group of defenders soon?

Annalia
2008-04-13, 06:52 PM
Hertz

Acknowledging Nalik's orders, Hertz will abandon the tent-destruction and run straight for the supply tent, tumbling past any orc in the way.

Holocron Coder
2008-04-14, 06:27 AM
Deladus

Doing his best to move around any unfriendly orcs, Deladus hustles after the rest of the group, swinging out with his weapon as necessary to speed his progress.

Apologies, no chance to post over the weekend.

oliana0
2008-04-14, 09:42 AM
Oliana

Oliana nods at Nalik and covers his back.

zapity zap zap!

dauphinous
2008-04-15, 12:23 PM
Hengist's headlong sprint for the tent brings him face to face with a man who is every inch as formidable in appearance as himself. He is tall, broad-shouldered, and heavily muscled. His imposing frame is covered well by a suit of blue scaled armor that fits him like it was tailored specifically to him, completed by black boots and black gloves. Sheathed on his left side is a bastard sword, with a pair of daggers on his right. The man, a human, is dashingly handsome with short dark brown hair and dark eyes. He might melt hearts were it not for the decidedly cruel cast to his eyes. He definitely bears a strong resemblance to the Highgate Base Commander.

The man in the blue dragon armor is clearly quite surprised to see Hengist, but that doesn't stop him from reaching for his weapons.

Sarrok chooses to take advantage of Hengist's ploy by slipping around the side of the tent he's currently behind to approach the gear from a different angle.

The rest of the Defenders run to and fro, leap, tumble, hack, slash, zap, and smash. The camp is descending into a more pure form of Chaos, with smoke now pouring out of the supply tent, though there is no other obvious sign of fire, and orcs rushing about. Some of them seem to utterly confused, while others seem more goal-oriented, perhaps with specific duties designated in case of prisoner escape and ensuing disorder.

As Nalik and Oliana start heading back towards their embroiled teammates, a familiar voice calls out from a short distance back. "Interesting choice with the hair, Oliana. I liked it better before."

OOC:Carter and Deladus are busy with the whole wreaking thing, so if either of them want to be aware of the impending whatever with Elisathalan, they would have to be lucky about intervening obstacles, not skilled in spotting things, so I'll just give you each a 1 in 20 chance. Roll a natural 20 on a d20 and you can see him. Hertz may have the same 1 in 20 chance of seeing the man in the blue dragon armor about to beat the crap out of Hengist.

All three of you (Carter, Deladus, and Hertz) can roll 1d6+4, and that number times 10 is the number of feet away from the opponent in question you are. Carter and Deladus are not within 30 feet of each other. Hertz cannot see Elisathalan and Carter & Deladus cannot see the blue armor guy.

Nalik and Oliana are 30 feet from Elisathalan.

Hengist need not take even a 5 foot step if he wishes to be so bold as to engage his opponent.

Hertz may also take the 1 in 20 chance to be able to see Sarrok if he wishes to.

All those who would like to engage the blue armor guy or Elisathalan should roll some initiative and gimme a round of action.

Torger
2008-04-15, 04:43 PM
Hengist

With a loud, bestial cry that was, most likely, hurd back in the Highgate, Hengist charges at his foe, attempting to shoulder-tackle him back into the side of the tent he vacated.

ODIN!!!!!!!

Assuming my last several rounds of full-out movement allow me to mack a bullrush as a part of a charge, as I ain't stoppin' for nothin!

[roll0]

Come on, big money!

Oh, and my AC's at 13, for the "Naked and fighting" thing.

Annalia
2008-04-15, 05:04 PM
Hertz

Though quite far from the tent, Hertz spotted Sarrock sneaking around, and thought it a fair idea. He would still take some time to reach the tent, but if he entered from the opposite side, he could be helpful to the gnome and Hengist. Hopefully the Northerner would last that long...

Okay, I'm heading for the opposite side of the tent. Than Sarrock's, as far as Hertz can guess. Since I'm 90 feet away, I'll need two rounds anyway.

oliana0
2008-04-15, 06:38 PM
Oliana

The world slows down. Melodramatic music plays. Oliana turns her head toward the familiar voice as havoc is reeked around her. A smile creeps across her face.

"That's funny, 'E.' I liked you much better when you were alive. But times, they are a changin'. Why capture us? Why not kill us? Do you really hate the Orcs you lead that much to allow us to cause all of this? It's not fair to the poor Orcs, 'E.' But I'm not too upset about their deaths, either."

[roll0]
That was not her action for this round. Wanted to get some of the drama down while I wait for what's behind evil guy number 1.

oliana0
2008-04-16, 05:58 PM
Oliana

"Know what? I don't need an answer. And you're right, this would be far more impressive if I still had my hair."

Oliana begins a chant as she reaches toward her component pouch, pulling out a piece of fur and a finger of amber, she brushes the fur across the rod generating small sparks of engery. A slight breeze picks up under Oliana, a vague scent of ozone drifts away from her and as her chant comes to an end, a dry smile drifts across her face and one last word is spoken, clear and loud she touches the fur from to amber one last time and points the rod towards the creature in Elis's body. The two items vaporize in white light and a massive bolt of lightening leaps from her hands travelling to Elis, through Elis and beyond.

Sorry for Double Post. Sorry for Delay. Have to make a new post to roll and sight's been wonky all day.
Cast Lightning Bolt towards E. Line spell 120' Stop for darn near nothing in this scenario.
[roll0]

Do it defensively if there's an Orc within slapping distance.

Gah, should cast Web. Then this. Eh, O is allowed to be impatient too.

anIceFan
2008-04-16, 06:04 PM
Nalik

Nalik pauses for a moment as he hears the voice of their departed comrade. But he continues on his way. Oliana, he is of no significance, stick with me! He then offers a prayer to Thor for assistance in guarding his team.

Once done, he continues on as before, identifying Deladus as the team member to aid.

I don't expect Oliana to listen. That was just RP :) Torch him please!

Casting spiritual weapon at the orcs surrounding Deladus (pick one)
[roll0] bab + wis
[roll1]
I hope I did that right!

Holocron Coder
2008-04-17, 07:23 AM
Deladus

Deladus fights off the orcs surrounding him, taking whatever moments he has to look for his comrades.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

dauphinous
2008-04-17, 07:55 PM
Hengist, Hertz, Sarrok
Hengist's insane charge sends both men barreling back into the tent. The blue armor guy steps to the side, pulls out both a sword and a dagger in an eyeblink, and proceeds to begin eviscerating the Nord wordlessly. Sarrok runs up to the side of the tent, and Hertz can catch up to him shortly. It looks like the orcs nearby are too concerned with the chaos elsewhere to notice one gnome and one monk skulking about.

Oliana
"If you think that I'm," Elisathalan ducks and rolls away from most of the bolt of lightning that crackles through, "the scariest thing here, then you are sadly mistaken." He points a finger at Oliana, and as he walks forward towards her with a creepy maniacal grin on his face, a thin black line of crackling energy slams into her chest. "I must admit, though, that I was kind of hoping for something like this."

Nalik, Carter, Deladus
The mayhem continues, with orcs now running both towards and away from the sparring Defenders now. Carter manages to knock down a tent, by virtue of sending two halves of an orc flying into it, which lends ear piercing shrieks and screams to the already noisy brawl. Deladus is having less luck in the general fighting category, but both men are making progress towards the gear tent. Nalik's spell seems to reduce the number of orcs willing to enter the fray with Deladus, though he is still bogged down.

anIceFan
2008-04-18, 03:39 PM
Nalik

Continuing on towards Deladus, Nalik directs the spiritual warhammer to keep attacking the orcs around the human. Once he has reached the fray, he will join in with his natural warhammer.

[roll0]
[roll1] This is wrong in my previous post it is +1 per 3 levels
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

lawful_evil
2008-04-18, 04:53 PM
Carter

Concerned the others may get caught up fighting in the tent and not focus on the important stuff(his gear), Carter makes more of a focused attempt to keep moving. Sure, he keeps giving the orcs some smackdown and slashes tent poles, ropes, etc along the way.

Not having any armor on, Carter continues to act more like a rogue, using his tumbling ability to get out of difficult situations.

oliana0
2008-04-22, 07:40 AM
Oliana

Oliana flinches at the black bolt. "Don't worry. I never thought you were scary. But I do think you should give that body up; it's not yours."

Oliana takes a step back and begins to cast another spell, this time a maze of webs bursts forth from her fingers encompassing E and folks around him.

5'step back. Cast Web. Encompass E and any other Orcs she can. 20' radius, avoiding herself and any other defenders if applicable.

dauphinous
2008-04-22, 12:05 PM
Oliana

"Aww. And here I thought it was all about my mind, or maybe my soul. If you just wanted my body, all you had to do was ask." Elisathalan is stuck fast in the webs, but he doesn't try to get himself free. Instead, he pulls a small flask out of the gods only know where and drops it at his feet. The webbing in a 5 foot radius around him erupts into flames, licking at his flesh and clothing and hair. He seems to actually enjoy the sensation, though it is clearly harming him, at least a little bit.

The webbing has caught fire, and will clearly continue to burn outward from Elis.

Hengist, Sarrok, Hertz

The man in the blue armor steps back out of the front flap of the tent, flicking blood off of both blades and casually striding away. His path will probably eventually get him to where Elis and Oliana are fighting, if he ends up not changing directions. Sarrok waits just a little bit, listening intently to what is going on inside, then slips under the side of the tent, holding the flap up for Hertz.

The inside of this tent is lavishly appointed with rugs and cushions. It looks like the owner of this space craves comfort and luxury. The wealth displayed is ostentatious. Hertz doesn't need Sarrok's pointing finger to guide his gaze to Hengist lying on the ground, blood rapidly soaking into the rugs.

Nalik, Carter, Deladus

Nalik and Deladus, working together, seem to have attracted some of the more capable orcs. Beefy brutes with greataxes close in and begin deadly sparring with both men as the lesser orcs flee to other duties. Commands can be heard being barked in orcish to "move those women" or "check on that" or "go to the supply tent".

Carter makes slow but steady progress towards the tent where the team's gear is supposed to be.

lawful_evil
2008-04-23, 06:34 AM
Carter

Concerned the others may get caught up fighting in the tent and not focus on the important stuff(his gear), Carter makes more of a focused attempt to keep moving. Sure, he keeps giving the orcs some smackdown and slashes tent poles, ropes, etc along the way.

Not having any armor on, Carter continues to act more like a rogue, using his tumbling ability to get out of difficult situations.

oliana0
2008-04-23, 10:20 AM
Oliana

"Hate to lightening, web and run, but we're trying to make a daring escape here. But fear, not, I'll be back. And then you'll die. Besides, you're not the real problem here--whoever made you is."

He doesn't care about the body. Must be able to switch to another. Better get the guy that did this first.

Oliana moves to follow Nalik, pulling the wand back out. She contemplates zapping Elis one, but changes her mind when she sees Nalik and Deladus surrounded. She gets herself into a place where she can zap them unfettered and takes aim at the toughest looking one.

Move as fast as she can and still have time for zapping an Orc. I think it's 30'.
[roll0]

anIceFan
2008-04-23, 12:02 PM
Nalik

We need to get out of this!
Nalik will continue to battle to uglies. He will direct the spiritual hammer to attack one, while he attacks another. If there is an opening towards the tent where Hertz, Sarrok, and Hengist are, he will try tell the group to try and move that way.

[roll0] 3 more rounds
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Holocron Coder
2008-04-26, 11:25 PM
Deladus

Slightly panicked, Deladus swings wildly at the orcs, attempting to attack any that appear weak or are giving orders.

Sorry about the posting delay, I've had a rough week.

Feel free to do my rolls for me :)

Annalia
2008-04-27, 10:51 AM
Hertz

Hertz cursed and moved to Hengist's side. "Get the gear. I had potions." He whispered to Sarrock, as he quickly tore part of his clothes off. He needed to stop the bleeding fast, and with any luck, he'd manage to wake the tall man up.

OOC:
[roll0] - If I can take 10 (for 19) instead, I will.
If the check is successful: [roll1]

dauphinous
2008-04-28, 06:50 AM
Hengist, Sarrok, Hertz

While Hertz is administering to Hengist as best as he can, Sarrok tears through the gear, tossing a few things aside. He dashes back over with a potion bottle and starts draining it into Hengist's mouth, which seems to be enough to waken the big man.

Nalik, Oliana, Deladus

The class of orc now bearing down on Nalik and Deladus, and now Oliana, is obviously higher than those who arrived immediately. An errant zap from Oliana's wand slams into one of them, but it is not knocked down by the force missiles. Nalik's attacks seem to be ineffective, and Deladus only manages to connect minimally.

The orcs have more luck. They swing their greataxes with some skill, and all have plenty of power to put into it. Blood is flowing freely, and the likelihood of escape seems to be dimming. Elisathalan attempts to follow Oliana, but her webbing slows him down enough that he spends all his time trying to get out of that.

Carter

Carter's acrobatics and determination have brought him within sight of Elisathalan, who is now behind him, though the tent with the gear still lies a fair distance away. He could circle around to attack the bard from behind, probably without him noticing until it is too late, as he is clearly having difficulty with the webbing there, and is intent on something in the opposite direction. Carter could also run flat out and reach where Nalik, Oliana, and Deladus are to join the melee there.

Everyone

A loud, commanding, male voice bellows out, the sound amplified over the area somehow. "Squad one to the supply tent! Squad two to the command tent! Squad three to me! Squad four to evac! Squad five bolster patrols! Squad six gear up! Squad seven to the air!"

Torger
2008-04-28, 11:20 PM
Hengist

With a grunt of pain, the Vinlander stands up, shaking his head groggily. He is in the midst of thanking the two for their help when the loud cries split the air.

May all the gods damn it! We have to get out of here. Take all you can carry and run.

Not bothering to take inventory, Hengist begins to gather up the belongings in the tent, stuffing things into packs or improvising bags out of materials at hand as he can.

Hengist can carry 175 lbs of stuff, and is going to take as much as he can and run like a rabbit. He's seen the advantage of tactical withdrawl.

lawful_evil
2008-04-29, 06:01 AM
Carter

Seeing Nalik and Deladus bloodied, rushes over to help. He runs full out until close and then, if possible, charges in. His goal is really to get this side battle a bit more even and then move towards the tent to help recover the team's stolen stuff.

Run
Charge
Attack/Cleave/etc
Tumble
Attack/Cleave/etc
Tumble
Attack/Cleave/etc
Tumble
Move towards tent with loot(unless I hear from Hengist/etc that they have everything)

anIceFan
2008-04-29, 10:56 AM
Nalik

Still trying to find a way out, Nalik directs the spiritual hammer to attack and orc that is on Deladus. He will then try and blast a lightning bolt through as many as he can without hitting his team.

[roll0] 2 more rounds
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

oliana0
2008-04-29, 02:29 PM
Oliana

Oliana hears the words, and looks around for a place to dash to if more Orcs arrive, but in the mean time she keeps zapping at the Orcs that need taking down.

Magic Missle from wand the Orc that looks like it will fall first, provided it's still standing and threatening the party.
[roll0]

Annalia
2008-04-29, 08:47 PM
Hertz

Hertz follows the grab-all-you-can move, although he is being a bit more choosy than Hengist. As he can only carry so much, he makes certain whatever he takes won't hinder his movement too much. He'll exit the tent by the front flap and scan the surroundings to see what the general situation is.

Hertz can carry up to 38 lb. and stay in light load. He won't exceed if unless it's necessary.
If Hertz can see that Nalik and Deladus are in trouble, he'll run that way rather than out of the encampment.

dauphinous
2008-05-01, 08:43 PM
Hengist, Sarrok, Hertz

The team's supplies seem to have been lumped all together, and there is well more than the three men can carry on their own. However long everyone was unconscious apparently wasn't long enough for anyone to start going through it all and extracting pieces.

Sarrok yanks on the pants of his leather armor, and shrugs into his own pack, but doesn't take the time to otherwise equip himself. He grabs up two other packs by their straps, the rest of his armor and weapons, and takes himself over to the front flap of the tent to watch for a good time to leave. As soon as he gets there, he peers out carefully, then ducks back in and waits for just a few heartbeats before peering out again. This time, he holds up a hand and waves to Hertz and Hengist to follow. He starts weaving through the tents, intent on the edge of the camp.

All that Hertz and Hengist can tell of the fate of the rest is that there is disturbance in the camp far enough away that the sounds of it are all blurred together and there is nothing to be seen of any of the rest of the team. Five orcs rise up into the air with no obviously visible means of support, and start towards that direction.

The chaos that marked the movements of the camp before the three of them entered the tent is rapidly being reduced. orcs are rushing about, but their movements are much more purposeful and they are moving together, not blindly and randomly.

Everyone else

Carter charges in to break the impasse that seems to have developed between the orcs and the distraction. He is able, with Oliana and Nalik's combined efforts, to create a wedge opening around Deladus that he could use to vacate the area, but these orcs don't seem impressed by the tactics. The ground here is quickly staining with mingled orc and human blood, but it seems now like it is only a matter of time before the Defenders here are in an indefensible position.

To add injury to injury, a volley of arrows is fired into the area, flying up and over the nearby tents to converge on the melee. Orc and Defender are hit alike, but the orcs act like they maybe expected this, and none of them are felled by the 'friendly' fire, despite taking hits.

lawful_evil
2008-05-02, 07:01 AM
Carter

Having helped the team, and seeing Sarrok exiting the tent without any of Carter's bulky armor, Carter does his best to break free of the distraction team to help haul loot.

Torger
2008-05-02, 08:59 AM
Hengist

Unwilling to leave behind the gear, Hengist improvises a dray out of some expensive-looking carpets, filling it with the remaining equipment and dragging it from the tent.

I picture this kind of like those guys who tow transport trucks with a body harness for fun. Ain't nobody stopin' me now.

Uh oh... I tempted fate...

Annalia
2008-05-02, 12:01 PM
Hertz

Knowing he wouldn't be much help with carrying large amounts of loot, Hertz picked what he could without reducing his movements and dashed for the disturbance. As he goes by a destroyed tent, he grabs the fabric and - if there is such things - the parts of poles still attached to it.

oliana0
2008-05-02, 01:47 PM
Oliana

Oliana looks around for an escape route; there's too much fire power here. If there are any tents nearby that aren't on fire, leaking Orcs, or otherwise obviously dangerous, she will move to one, peek inside, and if it seems fairly safe she will enter it.

Small number of woman and children orcs are okay, anyone with a weapon is not. If it's a women and children Orcs tent, she will enter and notify them that she will not hurt them if they are quiet. But she will take out the children first if they sound an alarm. In orcish of course.

Holocron Coder
2008-05-02, 02:46 PM
Deladus

Taking an arrow to the side, Deladus falls to his knees and grips the arrow shaft. Looking around in a mild daze, he sees just how outnumbered their little band is.

Things were not looking good, to put it lightly.

Shaking his head to wipe away the fog, he snaps the arrow shaft, leaving a small portion sticking out. What do I do? We need to get out of here. Half the guys came back here to help me. They can't be punished for that! Balder, help me!"

Grunting with the pain, Deladus stands to his feet, his green skin rapidly turning a very woody shade of brown. Yelling in anger, he swings out at the nearby orcs, even as his movements grow more stiff. Small branches begin sprouting from his shoulders and legs as he fights. The entire process happens rather rapidly, but seems to stretch on forever.

Once the man stops changing, there is no man standing where he once was. Instead, a man of the trees, a treant, stands in his place, branch-arms upraised. The plant stands at an impressive height, enough to see easily over any of the nearby tents.

Suddenly, from the ground sprout the flora of the earth, thorns binding the orcs in the area around the defenders.

Stunned at his own transformation and subsequent powers, Deladus continues to act, grabbing any nearby comrades he can and storming through the orc fighters, trampling any in his path.

Several rounds of actions, here :smallbiggrin:

1: Shapeshift - Plant: Treant (heal 50% of damage taken)
2: Plant Affinity Power - Grasping Vines (Thorns) 5 squares (5 5x5 areas) DC 13 reflex, 1d6 dmg & movement disabled if failed, half movement if succeed, -3 action penalty regardless, 10 rounds duration, DC 10 Str check to break free. Attack at +6 for 1d4 dmg per 5ft moved (AoO from plants)
3: Grab Defenders nearby (I've lost track :smalltongue:)
4: Run to nearest exit, using treant Trample ability.

dauphinous
2008-05-05, 11:46 AM
Oliana finds that the closest tent is empty of living creatures. It has the routine sorts of trappings of life, such as blankets, pots, clothes, and the like. There are no sources of light or flame within it.

Deladus's startling transformation causes all the orcs in the area to stare, stunned at the tree-thing that explodes from the man. Surprised as they are, the thorny vines that shoot out of the ground, waving and writhing, wrap around several of them easily. Some of the others start to back off, making what look like warding gestures.

With his new vantage point, Deladus can see Hengist hauling the gear briefly before he disappears behind a tent again. He can also see the man int eh blue armor, now looking at him curiously, with an uplifted eyebrow. And he can see the eight orcs that are now flying in, with no apparent means of flight. Four of them cast spells, two creating large spheres of darkness around themselves, which then move through the air, as if they'd been tossed. They land to either side of Deladus, and with them, comes pain. the effects of the other spells are not obvious, but each spellcaster is flanked by a flying orc with a greataxe, the perfect implement for dealing with errant trees.

Sarrok and Hengist move, if not precisely quickly, rather stealthily, given their burdens. They are making a beeline for the closest edge of the camp, and should find themselves at that edge shortly.

Carter, determining that Sarrok could not possibly be strong enough to carry everything, returns to his determined course, towards the command tent. He cannot actually see either Sarrok or Hengist (no one can at the moment), but he does see Hertz as he rips the canvas of a tent down.

OOC:Okay, in a 20 foot radius from the spot on the ground at Deladus's...um...roots, there is total, pitch black darkness that does not hinder darkvision. This is different from the Darkness spell.
Deladus and Nalik each take 5 points of evil-aligned damage (treant DR does not apply to this) from the "pain".
Carter takes 8 points from a hit with an axe somewhere in there.
if Deladus still wants to pick Nalik up, he'll have to locate him first.

anIceFan
2008-05-05, 07:07 PM
Nalik

Feeling his strength begin to ebb, Nalik steps to the tree that was once Deladus reaching his hand out and putting it on the trunk, he then offers a prayer to Thor to grant him strength.

[roll0]
using 1 turn undead to extend this to Delatree and any other ally within 10'

oliana0
2008-05-06, 09:00 AM
Oliana

Oliana flips open the flap to the tent to allow just enough light in that she can see around in it. She rummages quickly for anything that will burn, grabs it and heads towards the far end of the tent. She lifts the bottom of the wall up slightly to peek outside and waits for a clear time to move out and on to the next tent, heading first away from the fight then towards the nearest edge of the encampment.

Alternatively, she wraps herself up in orcish blankets, smears dirt on her face, and moves to the edge of the camp, if anyone sees her she says in orcish: "Have you seen my mommy?"
*snigger*
Rinse repeat. If she sees anyone out there making better progress than she is she will join up with them. Oliana can carry up to 33 lbs of flammable material, less the weight of a blanket to roll up the items in for easier carrying.

lawful_evil
2008-05-06, 12:37 PM
Carter

Having determined that Sarrok could not possibly be strong enough to carry everything, Carter returns to efforts to help, moving with some haste towards the command tent. Having spotted Hertz trashing the tent he heads that way hopeful he can get some intel regarding the situation.

"Where are Sarrok and Hengist and our stuff?"

Annalia
2008-05-06, 03:34 PM
Hertz

"From what I know, making a run for the camp's edge with all the gear." Hertz answered quickly as he bundled up the tent. "We're done over there. Any news of the others, and of what is going on there?"

Hertz waited for Carter's answer, ready to continue towards the "tree mess". Except that the others were probably in danger, he didn't know much of what was happening. One thing was certain, however: they were doing better when things were confusing, and when the orcs had no idea what to do. If he could bring back a measure of chaos, it'd help everyone get away.

lawful_evil
2008-05-06, 07:46 PM
Carter

Carter looks at Hertz in disbelief and says, "Are you sure? There was no way the two of them could have carried all of all of our stuff." Carter looks around for them while answering Hertz's question, "Deladus and Nalik got a little bogged down in fighting. They should be along behind me momentarily."

Carter adds a bit to the destruction and inquires again, "Which way did they go?". Sword in hand, Carter rushes off in that direction, knowing that, even if they did make off with the gear, they'd be nearly helpless and undefended.

Annalia
2008-05-06, 10:49 PM
Hertz

Hertz pointed in the direction he'd seen Hengist and Sarrok take, before deciding the sooner Nalik and Deladus would be following, the better. Once Carter takes off, he'll head towards the commotion to see how he can help.

Torger
2008-05-07, 01:13 PM
Hengist follows the smaller man out of th village and into a somewhat defensible, concealed position. Taking up a pair of his shortspears. he levels the smaller man with a steely gaze. Remain here and stay hidden. I will return with the huskarl and the others.

As fast as he can travel, Hengist makes his way back the way he came, making an obscure religious gesture at the giant, ambling tree.

Holocron Coder
2008-05-07, 11:32 PM
Deladus

Feeling the healing touch on his "trunk", Deladus reaches down and brings Nalik up out of reach. Checking once for any other nearby allies (and grabbing them as well), the tree-man tramples in the direction the other allies went.

dauphinous
2008-05-08, 06:41 PM
Sarrok and Hengist's flight out of the camp remains unchallenged, and between the two of them, they find a spot that seems like it won't be discovered within a few minutes, at least. There is some sign of booted feet, but it looks a little old to Hengist, and with the commotion, the little hollow should afford enough cover until everyone can regroup.

Carter, dashing madly through the camp, runs into Hengist, but fortunately not literally, as he is on his way back to help everyone else.

<orcish>"All units, converge on the walking tree! Use fire!" The same voice that boomed out before does so again.

This command is followed by four nearly simultaneous fiery rays being launched at Deladus by four of the flying orcs. Fortunately for Deladus, three of the four seem to be having an off day. Only one lances through his foliage, burning leaves and bark. The others are shot wildly in three different directions.

The four flying orcs with greataxes follow the rays in, and have slightly more luck, though Deladus is able to smack one mightily before it can start choppity chopping away. Some orcs on the ground are squashed under...foot, but those following Deladus are still able to hack away at him.

Oliana is able to slip from tent to tent for now, moving away from Deladus as she heads towards the edge of the encampment.

OOC:Deladus takes fire 13 damage (already multiplied) and 33 slashing damage. For some perspective, those ray spells were ranged touch attacks, and a treant has a touch AC of 7. Those were incredibly poor rolls on my part, and you should not expect such luck (or lack thereof) to continue.

Deladus has lots of special friends right now, so if, for some reason, Nalik isn't going to heal Deladus, he can pretty much take his pick of orcs to attack. Anyone with ranged weapons can shoot at the flying orcs, though they are in melee with Deladus.

Anyone else who wants to move through the camp at this point should roll a percentile. If Carter and Hengist decide to go in the same direction, only one needs to roll this, and both suffer the result.
01-14 = You've encountered an orc that is going to stop and try to kill you. Roll initiative.
15-59 = You've encountered an orc, but they either didn't notice you or run away from you.
60-95 = You manage to avoid any orcs.
96-99 = You've run straight into a Special Person of Interest, who is definitely interested in killing you. It may be Elisathalan, or it may be an Orc of Quality. Roll initiative.
100 = Aren't you lucky. You've run into Astryn, and he is going to kill you. Roll initiative.

oliana0
2008-05-09, 12:48 PM
Oliana

Oliana continues her way through the camp, collecting flamables, trying to be careful.

[roll0]
[roll1] (Just in case)
[roll2] For any Orc. E and A will get their own special fun.

anIceFan
2008-05-09, 02:35 PM
Nalik

Nalik is not sure what has happened to Deladus, but the tree that is helping him appears to be his best chance at safety. He wraps his arms around it and prays to Thor to keep it safe.

[roll0]
Trading spiritual weapon, and 1 turn undead to extend it to Nalik as well.
(notice that he is a tree hugger)

lawful_evil
2008-05-10, 07:11 AM
Carter

"Hengist!" Carter calls out as he runs up to the foreigner. Once closer he inquires, "Did the two of you manage to recover all of the Defender's equipment?"

Carter's sword drips with orc blood and his face is dominated with an excited smile.

If we've got everything, we can get the others and retreat, otherwise we'll have to go back for the rest.

Annalia
2008-05-10, 12:21 PM
Hertz

Luckily encountering no orcs, Hertz finishes his run towards the tall tree. Though he's unable to see Nalik through the darkness, he nonetheless calls out "Nalik! What is going on?"

Okay, I'm going to assume I need two move actions to reach them. He won't jump in the darkness (at least not yet).

Holocron Coder
2008-05-12, 07:32 AM
Deladus

Feeling an abnormal amount of fear of the fire, probably from his new-found tree state, Deladus does his best to outpace the orcs. Weaving in between tents, he depends on Nalik to keep him from falling apart while they escape.

dauphinous
2008-05-13, 07:28 PM
Deladus is unfortunately not able to move any faster than the orcs are. The flying orcs are keeping pace with him, also, though the movement is making it difficult for all of them to do more than keep up. The flying spellcasters, however, have no such difficulties. They simply rotate as he moves across their field of vision, fly in a little bit, and launch more fire at the huge walking tree. This time, three of the rays sear bark and leaf. Branches are set alight, and Nalik falls to the ground as the tree shrinks quickly back into the human man that is Deladus. He lies on the ground, flesh and hair singed, and still.

Luck follows the rest of the Defenders, though. The orcs everyone encounters are more interested in something else than in doing anything hostile to them. Deladus's fall can be seen by everyone except Sarrok, and Hertz is close enough to swoop in and help Nalik.

Torger
2008-05-13, 09:00 PM
Slapping Carter on the shoulder, Hengist hurries off to here he saw Nalik fall.

Come! We have to aid the Huskarl...

Anyone wonder if we're carrying the Raven Banner (http://webzoom.freewebs.com/bessdarnley/SCA_05_Raven%20Banner.mp3)?

:smalltongue:

anIceFan
2008-05-14, 12:34 AM
Nalik

Nalik is relieved that he is not wearing his armor as Deladus returns to his human form. He is still in a great deal of pain after falling 20' back to the ground. Luckily he is quick to recover.

Rising to his feet he tries to fight his way over to the fallen comrade.
To Hertz. Keep them off my back.

He will try and either carry or drag the body of Deladus out of the camp. If he has to, he will fight any orcs with his hammer
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

lawful_evil
2008-05-14, 05:24 AM
Carter

Taken aback by Hengist's enthusiasm, Carter starts to follow, but manages to sputter out, "Huskarl? What is that? Some kind of armor? Did you manage to recover all the rest of the gear?"

Carter is further confused by Hengist running towards the battle instead of towards the tent. All the same, he runs along, taking out his sword and preparing to exfoliate some of orcs.

oliana0
2008-05-14, 09:42 AM
Oliana

Oliana sees a tree fall in the camp and wonders why the Orcs were attacking a tree. She shrugs it off momentarily until she realizes that the tree was moving.

"Aw, crap." That was probably some weird effect that tree thing that took my rope gave to Deladus.

Oliana rearranges the goodies she's holding, drops any that she can't hold in one arm, pulls out her wand from her robe and zaps one of the flying orcs starting with the magic users. She then moves as far as she can in the general direction of away (and preferably out of sight), but trying to stay within magic missle range of the flying orcs.

Works from 130'!! If she has to move into range first she will.
[roll0]

Torger
2008-05-14, 10:53 AM
Hengist

Not stopping to speak, Hengist addresses Carter over his shoulder. The small man has all the posessions beyond the encampment. We must no retrieve the Huskarl and you're overly clever companion, if we are to last the day.

dauphinous
2008-05-14, 06:45 PM
Oliana fires off a couple of missiles at one flying orc, who then turns and starts looking around, presumably for the source of the spell. The rest of the flying orcs seem to be a little disordered, possibly trying to wrap their orcish brains around the disappearance of the walking tree. The orcs on the ground that were following Deladus seem equally confused, and there is a moment of total silence and stillness as Nalik looks into Deladus's eyes and knows the truth.

<orcish>"Converge on the last location of the tree!"

The Defenders are first to feel the breaking of whatever sort of spell held everyone still. There is a mess of to-ing and fro-ing as the team starts trying to really disentangle. Nalik clambers to his feet and grabs Deladus to drag him away as Hertz dashes in to give him some cover. Hengist is not far behind him, darting around a nearby corner and into sight, followed closely by Carter.

It is just after Nalik gives Deladus's arm a good yank to get moving that he feels the fingers of that arm - the arm he thought a moment ago belonged to a dead body - grasp him back.

Holocron Coder
2008-05-14, 07:25 PM
Deladus

Shaking his head and muttering under his breath, Deladus uses Nalik's hold as leverage to pull himself off the ground. Glancing over his shoulder at the swarm of orcs, his eyes widen and he continues to run in the direction he was being dragged. "Not out of the woods yet, it would seem."

anIceFan
2008-05-14, 09:23 PM
Nalik

Although totally stunned by the return of the dead Deladus, Nalik is not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. Calling to the other Defenders in the area, Lets get out of here! Hengist lead the way.

He will run as fast as his little dwarf legs will carry him in the direction that the walking mountain takes.

lawful_evil
2008-05-15, 05:49 AM
Carter

Carter rushes up, sword in hand to hold off the rampaging orcs while the slower defenders flee. Once the team starts moving away, Carter will disengage and fallback a distance only to make another stand and then fallback using his skill at tumble to escape combat.

As he arrives at the edge of the battle he calls out to Nalik, "Keep going, I'll cover our retreat and take the rear."

Rolls...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Torger
2008-05-15, 12:34 PM
Hengist

Hengist nods at the command, and begins to rapidly take the Defenders from the orc encampment. He stope suddenly. What of the Alf girl? Is she not still within?

lawful_evil
2008-05-15, 07:29 PM
Carter

Carter says, "I haven't seen any Alfs... Girl? Oh, Olianna.... No, well." Carter slashes at an Orc and then continues, "I saw some her magic shooting those flying orcs. Maybe she's off that way." Carter gestures with his 'shield' hand, which is currently empty.

Carter tries to suppress a smile as he ponders little orange aliens attacking the orc camp.

oliana0
2008-05-15, 07:49 PM
Oliana

Almost as soon as the words escape the Northerner's lips, a pair of small missiles shoot up from an area near the group and hit one of the flying Orcs. If the group could see her, they would see a little half-elf darting behind a tent.

Dramatic effect. Continue the shoot and hide/run process. Keep hitting the same Orc until he goes down.
[roll=2d4+2]

Annalia
2008-05-16, 12:57 PM
Hertz

Obeying Nalik's order, and noticing Carter's tactic, Hertz joins him in the hit-and-fallback routine. Should Nalik get attacked from the front, he'll use his high speed to reach the dwarf and protect him.

OOC:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

dauphinous
2008-05-16, 01:35 PM
<orcish>"Stand down. Let them go for now. Lieutenants to me at command. Double patrols." The voice sounds rather angry now, and there is almost an after-echo that conjures the feel of snarling.

The command is issued as the team nears the edge of the encampment, and the orcs stop the pursuit, but not until after a few more are cut down by the hit and run tactics employed in flight. The airborne orcs move downward, disappearing from sight. The eight of them remain alive for now, though one was obviously hurt badly by Oliana's missiles.

It takes only a few more minutes for everyone, including Oliana (though she is the last to arrive), to get to the spot where Sarrok is waiting with all the gear. "I'm pretty sure that patrols will pass close to here, now they're on the alert."

oliana0
2008-05-16, 03:32 PM
Oliana

"Everyone made it? Cool. Is that my bag?" Oliana points what appears to be her bag, reaches for it and rifles through it check to see if everything is still there.

"So, we ready to move out? Has any one seen an owl hanging about? You can turn into a tree?" Oliana looks at Deladus curiously.

If her bag's there, and it has her tree token she pulls it out and keeps it in her hand.

lawful_evil
2008-05-16, 04:08 PM
Carter

Not knowing how much time they might have Carter straps on the 'low hanging fruit' first. Shield. Weapons. Magic Amulet. Magic Cloak. After a few seconds he looks around and then finally asks Hertz, "My armor is difficult to carry when not being worn and it takes a while to put on. If you help me it will take much less time to don it. Will you help?" Regardless of whether Hertz will help, Carter starts the long process of strapping on the layered sheets of metal the make up his suit of Magical Half Plate.

Once its on he tops it all off with the backpack, belt pouch,

Torger
2008-05-16, 04:23 PM
Hengist

Hengist shrugs into his chain shirt, not bothering to settle the maille, and collects the remainder of his gear. We should depart.

Annalia
2008-05-16, 04:33 PM
Hertz

Hertz quickly dons what few gear he has, before answering Carter. "Certainly. The faster we are out of here, the better." He'll help strap the armour on, before looking around to see if anyone needs help.

lawful_evil
2008-05-16, 05:50 PM
Carter

Accepting Hertz's help Carter does his best to instruct the man how to help and is sure to say, "Thank you." Once armored and ready for trouble, Carter nods at Hengist and says, "I agree. To stay would be to invite disaster."

Carter readies his sword and shield and waits to take up the rear of the formation once Nalik decides which way to go.

Holocron Coder
2008-05-17, 03:29 PM
Deladus

Quietly, Deladus gathers his armor and weapons, looking for assistance with his heavy armor once someone is free.

anIceFan
2008-05-17, 04:53 PM
Nalik

Once they reash Sarrok, Nalik joins everyone else in gathering their gear. The first thing he looks for is the comm device. Once / if he find it. He will activate it and report to command that there is a sizeable orc encampment less than a days march from Highgate.

After that is done, he will move to help Deladus with his armor.
What happened back there? I thought for sure that you were gone.

After the troop is all geared up.
Hengist, Sarrok, we need to disapear.

dauphinous
2008-05-17, 06:27 PM
About a minute after Nalik drops the Comm, apparently not waiting for a response, it vibrates and buzzes very quietly, just loud enough to be heard within a few feet of it. It does so for about two seconds at intervals of five seconds until someone activates it again.

anIceFan
2008-05-18, 06:26 PM
Nalik

Noticing the activation of the comm device, Nalik raises it to his mouth Bunnyslippers. This is Corperal Stormbrow.

dauphinous
2008-05-19, 06:25 AM
"Corporal, is this an imminent threat situation?" The unmistakable clipped accent of that obnoxious elven officer, whatever the hell her name was, comes from the Comm. Luckily, all anyone has to remember in this situation is to refer to the voice on the other end as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'. "Because if it's not, then I have to tell everyone to stand down due to a false alarm after your incredibly terse warning."

oliana0
2008-05-19, 02:50 PM
Oliana

"If they think an angry camp of Orcs a day's march from Highgate is an immediate threat, then I guess it is! We need to get what everyone saw and make an estimate of how many and how strong they are. Tell them the Orcs appear to not be following us, and we'll report back as soon as we more fully assess the situation. Preferably while we head away from here. Can anyone discern where Highgate is? Oh!"

As Oliana exclaims a bit she looks up and around a bit. "I may be able to do that." Oliana's face scrunches up a bit and a few moments later a white owl flies in from the forest further out.

"Fenny, this is everyone. Everyone this is Fenny." Oliana emits a few little chirps and Fenny chirps back.

Oliana will tell them all of Elis and how he zapped her good and was barely hurt by her magic. Can Fenny tell us which way Highgate is?

anIceFan
2008-05-19, 04:27 PM
Nalik

Nalik is quite peeved at the tone taken by the officer on the other end of the comm.
Ma'am, I am not about to tell you how to interpret the information that I am supplying you. I am only reporting the facts. There is an orc encampment less than a days march from Highgate. This camp includes those with the ability to fly. There is a Human that appears to be in charge, and the creature that used to be our companion Elisathelan. I am still not sure how we escaped with out lives. You can decide if the threat is imminent or not.
As he talks about escaping with their lives, he will look up at Deladus.

dauphinous
2008-05-19, 06:03 PM
"It's your job to interpret the threat, Corporal. If all you have are vague half-assed guesses, then you're better off not reporting it."

anIceFan
2008-05-19, 06:20 PM
Nalik

Nalik suppresses the urge to curse at length. How could this person have become an officer if they can not see the danger that is presented by this encampment, with the means to gain access, so close to the city.
Yes Ma'am. Forgive me. In my opinion, this orc encampment presents a clear and present danger to the city of Highgate. It is possible, that our discovery of this camp has disrupted their plans. But I believe that Highgate should make ready to defend itself from an aerial assault in the near future.

lawful_evil
2008-05-19, 07:18 PM
Carter

Listening and trying to remain profession, Carter has no choice but to daydream or get caught in a giggleloop. That is why he makes the big bucks. I totally, never want to get promoted up to be in charge. That would quite quite a sorry state to be in.

Once Nalik exchange seems Carter readies himself to move out or follow any other orders Nalik might have. Perhaps it is time to raid the orc camp for intel....

dauphinous
2008-05-19, 07:29 PM
"Understood." The voice this time is completely different: male, serious, and wholly unfamiliar. "Keep us informed if the circumstances change."

oliana0
2008-05-20, 12:50 PM
Oliana

Oliana chitters back to the bird and points upwards, chitters some more and the owl tilts its head quizzically and flies upward from branch to branch until it reaches the tree line.

Oliana says, "If you would be so kind as to hop up there and check out which direction Highgate is -- the large town with the wall and humans. And them come back and tell me." She points upwards and offers, "And be careful; watch out for flying Orcs and living trees."

lawful_evil
2008-05-22, 08:53 PM
Carter

After standing around for half a minute or so waiting for Nalik to give them an order, Carter notices Deladus still struggling to get into his armor, so Carter walks over and helps him along.

dauphinous
2008-05-23, 05:38 AM
The owl disappears from sight for about a minute, after which it comes right back to Oliana. She and the bird talk to each other for a few moments, then she points straight back at the orc camp. "Fenny says that Highgate is that way."

Torger
2008-05-23, 06:41 AM
Hengist

Judging which way the tracks seem to diminish the most, Hengist leads the others in that direction. Come. We go this way, and haven't time to tarry.

Ok, here's MY plan. We head out, away from the Orcs, until we're out of regular patrol range. Once we start leaving the areas where our tracks can be lost in the confusion, Hengist will start taking pains to conceal our trail, brushing out the tracks, whatever, in such a manner that it will lead to questions as to where we've gone.

Then, once we reach a suitable geographical barrier (rocky ground, a river, whatever won't show tracks very well), we radically alter direction, striking out at an angle that'll lead us away from the orc camp and back toward the Highgate.

For argument sake, let's say we are on the North side of the camp, and Highgate is due south of it. We head north until we hit a stream, follow it East for a bit, and then set off Southeast until my keenly-trained Woodland senses estimate we're past the Orc Camp before heading Either due west, or Southwest, making our way back toward the Highgate. Also, I think Hengist is going to go for the whole, "Forced March" thing, trying to get the others to put as much distance as humanly, elvenly, dwarvenly, or gnomishly possibly between them and the bad.

Survival +8, Know:Nature +4

Holocron Coder
2008-05-23, 07:18 AM
Deladus

Deladus thanks Nalik and Carter for their help. It probably doesn't take the two long to notice that the armor that Deladus has on isn't metal, but rather some sort of steel-strength wood.

Once they start moving, he follows the rest of the party, sticking to the back if Nalik does not give a marching order.

anIceFan
2008-05-23, 03:25 PM
Nalik
After Nalik and Carter help Deladus into his armor, he asks them to help him don his. He then allows the group to find their own positions as Hengist leads them off.

He will take the time to look at each of them to determine how they are fairing after the run in.

Health check on everyone.

Torger, don't worry about heading towards Highgate. We will not be going there any time soon. We need to find out more about these orcs and we are looking for some other folks.

Nalik doesn't like the female they were talking too earlier from command, and his player is not quite sure if we can trust the male who took over.

dauphinous
2008-05-24, 06:22 AM
Forest
about 3pm, sunny, 70 degrees

Once everyone dons their gear, Hengist begins striking a path that is little more than 'away from the orcs'. Although his efforts to keep the group from being tracked slow the team down a little, a good distance is covered by the time a small stream is reached. It is about 7 feet wide, and less than a foot at its deepest. The course of it runs roughly northwest-southeast. The sun, seen through the canopy still, marks the day as more than half done.

Torger
2008-05-24, 07:15 AM
Hengist

Hengist stops at the edge of the stream, drinks, and re-fills his waterskin. To my thinking, we should head upstream and seek shelter. The Skraels stand between us and the High Gate, and we must regroup and outflank them if we are to return.

lawful_evil
2008-05-26, 05:17 PM
Carter

Carter walks slow, trying to keep pace with the group, but also to keep track of Hengist who seems to literally be sweeping away the squad's footprints.

Carter checks out the nice refreshing stream and sighs. Too bad there is an Orcish army behind us. A nice dip and maybe a spot of fishing would have been quite relaxing(assuming the stream became more developed further downstream).

Carter also drinks deeply from the stream. He empties any contents from his waterskins and totally fills them and empties them three times. Finally he fills them up and makes ready to go, assuming that is what the orders will be.

Annalia
2008-05-26, 07:09 PM
Hertz

Hertz will also travel silently, walking in a somber attitude and glancing to Deladus curiously every now and then. When he sees Carter refill his waterskin at the stream, he does the same with a sigh of envy. I used to spend days sitting next to streams like this, doing nothing but thinking and writing..

Holocron Coder
2008-05-26, 10:59 PM
Deladus

Taking advantage of their stop, Deladus kneels near the stream and begins using his hand to drink. After a moment, it proves to be not enough, so he takes a more first-face approach. After several minutes of the act, he stands and stretches, basking in the sunlight, pale green skin reflecting some of the brightness.

"So, what is our plan? Hide out for the night and continue tomorrow? Or push on during the night?" he asks Nalik, putting the question to Hengist's statement.

anIceFan
2008-05-27, 11:36 AM
Nalik

Nalik takes the stop as an opportunity to make some adjustments to his armor, a couple of straps has been rubbing him in exactly the wrong spot. He then bends down to get a drink of water along with the others. He is quiet a moment listening to the questions and other chatter.
We will not be returning to Highgate. We came out this way with a mission, and that has not changed, although it appears some of us have. again looks at Deladus. He will not push though, at least not at this time.Hengist, steer us away from Highgate. We will make camp early tonight. Many of us will be in need of tending, and there will be no fire tonight. Stealth is our main ally.

As he speaks, he refills his waterskin.

oliana0
2008-05-27, 04:15 PM
Oliana

As the group moves away from the Orc encampment and she feels more secure they aren't being followed, she repacks her equipment back in her pack. When they stop to camp and Nalik mentions they are re-grouping she offers, "If we can stay a couple of days, I can prep some potions and scrolls so that we can do some serious damage to the camp without as much brute force and running away."

dauphinous
2008-05-27, 05:56 PM
More Forest
near dusk, just starting to cool

Hengist leads the group northwest along the stream, cleverly using the water to conceal the backtrail. He cuts across to the other side after an hour or so, taking the team up a mildly rocky slope, then continuing northwest. As the light starts to fail, the best Hengist can do for a campsite is a relatively flat spot that is generally clear of undergrowth. The small clearing has large shrubs around it, and a few medium sized trees, which should provide a screen from view.

lawful_evil
2008-05-27, 06:38 PM
Carter

Upon finding the campsite, Carter looks around for good places to put up tripwires and other sorts of automated alarms. Once he spots a candidate he takes a step and his foot makes a 'squish' sound as the water in his boot sloshes.

"My feet got wet."

Carter takes his boots off and hangs them upside down to drain while he takes out his rope and tries to setup something.

Alarm

Looking to set up the rope tied from tree to tree to tree at a foot or so off the ground with some metal items hooked in that will rattle when someone touches the rope (hopefully) waking us up.

Craft-Trapmaking +8

oliana0
2008-05-28, 10:12 AM
Oliana

"Fenny can help, too. Right Fenny?" The bird, who had been quiet most of the walk, hiding from the sun and catching a few moments of sleep during the day. He perked up once the sun set, and occassionally made a leap for some small rodent he saw in the distance.

Torger
2008-05-28, 10:26 AM
Hengist

Hengist has been relatively quiet since the river, and takes the first opportunity to scavenge for comestibles for the unit, ones that don't require cooking. Once he's limbed the surroundings of edible materials, he wordlessly assists Carter with the warning systems, his face in a brooding scowl that didn't particularly invite conversation.

[roll0] to forage for food.
[roll1] Hoping for an aid another.

Annalia
2008-05-28, 11:36 AM
Hertz

As the group made camp, Hertz took out part of the trail rations he had that did not require cooking. Not that he didn't trust what Hengist would bring back, but he doubted it'd suffice to feed everyone - especially after a day like this. He sat down next to Deladus, and asked as he watched Carter and Hengist work on the traps "How long do you think it will take before they go after us?"

anIceFan
2008-05-29, 12:32 PM
Nalik

As the group settles in for the night, Nalik works his way around to each of the party members to provide care for their wounds. He will cast healing on Hengist and Carter and Hengist before they start setting up their traps.

As he gets to Deladus he sits next to him.
What happened back there Deladus. One moment we were being attacked and the next, you turned into a tree. Then, I thought we had lost you. I reached back to haul your lifeless body out, and you got up and started walking. I would prefer to not have to deal with these surprises.

He will set up the watch order, Sarrok, and Hengist first, Carter and Hertz second, Himself and Oliana last. Deladus, because he was dead a few hours ago will get the night off.

He will then lie down and try and get some rest.

trading in a turn undead to extend healing to Carter, Hengist, and Nalik
[roll0]

Can I get max HP for Hengist, Oliana, and Hertz
I don't know what the damage level is for Oliana, Deladus, or Sarrok

lawful_evil
2008-05-29, 06:57 PM
Carter

Once the sun goes down, Carter's mood sours, if that is possible. He still couldn't see in the dark and without a nearby fire, he wouldn't even have that comfort. Fortunately he felt really energized.

When everyone heads to bed and the first watch takes over, Carter stays up and helps to keep an eye on things. When its his turn, he continues to be awake and alert with Hertz. At the end of their shift, he stays up with the early morning crew to watch the sunrise.

Holocron Coder
2008-05-30, 07:38 AM
Deladus

Watching the rest of the group bustle around the camp, Deladus ponders what had befallen him before. Apparently, I can turn into some sort of... tree-person, now.

Thoughts interrupted by Hertz, the man replies, "I would not be surprised if they are already searching us out once again. Orcs seem tenacious, in that regard. It does not help that they have such abnormal leadership." He snorts with a small laugh. "I mean, how often do you see flying orcs?"

Looking to Nalik as he describes his view of the earlier battle, Deladus grins. "I'm sorry, sir, I'll try to be more considerate about coming back to life, next time." He stares at the ground as he continues, "As for the rest of that... I'm not quite sure. I've been feeling oddly ever since that woman in the forest captured us all and transported us back. I... erm... had a chat with some sort of plant-lady at the time. Perhaps this has something to do with it?" He shrugs.

"At any rate, I think this is what I am now... I feel like I can do it again. In fact..." The green man frowns, concentrating. "I can also sense everyone moving around the camp. Without seeing them, I mean. And a few squirrels in the tree over there. And... well, everything in the forest, I think."

Using Forest Sense to track things up to 1 mile away (full round action).

For those curious, here (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3000) is his new character sheet, and here (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/) is the relevant homebrew :smallbiggrin:

oliana0
2008-05-30, 09:33 AM
Oliana

Oliana curls up to rest, her owl high in a tree, perhaps hunting, perhaps keeing an eye out for the group. She thinks about what she needs to do to take out the thing that is controlling Elis's body and she rolls over a few times. Half listening to Nalik and Deladus's conversation she emits an "Eeewww" noise when Deladus explains the chat he had with that tree thing.

If my rope was involved.... She sits up, removes the rope to a few feet away and contemplates washing it in the river in the morning and falls asleep until her watch.

anIceFan
2008-05-31, 11:23 AM
Nalik

Nalik hangs his head a bit at Deladus interpretation of his statements.
I am sorry my friend. When you came back to life, that was very happy moment for me. I was referring to you changing into a tree. The only reason I would want you to not come back to life, is that I hope you do not die while we are on duty.

Annalia
2008-05-31, 11:36 AM
Hertz

At Deladus' jestful question about flying orcs, Hertz simply smiles and mumbles "Not often." He then patiently waits for the rest of the story, obviously as curious as Nalik about what had happened to Deladus. Something in the story, however, catches his attention. "Are you saying you did not know they had transformed you in such a way?"

lawful_evil
2008-05-31, 12:30 PM
Carter

Carter, always one to listen in on other peoples conversations and interject his own opinions without being asked, says, "My skin is green now. I'm not sure what happened, but I do feel a little different, I just don't know what has changed."

He looks at Deladus and says, "I don't feel like I'm going to turn into a tree. But... I haven't eaten all day and I'm not hungry. Actually, I'm not tired either."

Torger
2008-05-31, 12:52 PM
Hengist

Hengist, still annoyed at the outcome of the day's encounter, chimed in from where he was keeping watch, not looking at the rest of the group. This divine sustenance is the gift from Baldur. The gods have smiled on we three, much as Odin has on Oliana, in granting her his Knowledge of the runecasting, or Thor has on the Huskarl, allowing him to keep we warriors fighting. Clearly, our group is well-blessed, though the Norns have woven for us a tapestry of guts, bone, and hard fighting. Perhaps we must further prove our worth...

Hengist drifts back off into silence.

Annalia
2008-05-31, 12:59 PM
Hertz

"Ah, yes. Blessed. It is a great blessing indeed, when one does not choose whether or not to accept what is being forced upon him." Hertz commented, not the least bit trying to hide his irony.

Holocron Coder
2008-05-31, 01:56 PM
Deladus

"I was not directly aware of it, no..." Deladus explains. "But if it helps us in our work, then I brook no complaint against Balder's will."

lawful_evil
2008-05-31, 04:53 PM
Carter

Carter sighs and looks around at the other and says, "Call it what you will, but I doubt it was the will of the Gods, heathen or otherwise...", that last bit Carter nods at Hengist, "... I'm sure there is a more logical explanation. I would be more likely to bet that our hosts, the forest spirit inhabitants of those trees, did it to us."

Carter tightens his cloak around himself and looks up at the stars for signs and portents. Maybe I can spot a shooting star to warn us of danger in our futures...

Torger
2008-05-31, 07:03 PM
The creatures were the servants of Baldur, as described in the Eddas. Perhaps the true lore has been lost in the Outlands...

anIceFan
2008-06-01, 02:53 PM
Nalik

Have faith Carter. If these changes were brought about in the grotto, they are indeed gifts from the gods.
Dramatic pause
I spoke for a while with the wife of my liege. Sif was both cruel and kind at the same. It was from here that I learned that Elis was restored through necromancy, and that Astryn is not truly in charge.
Nalik's eyes get a little dreamy as he thinks about the next part of his story. There are some things that he decides that he is not ready to share.
After sharing tea with her, I climbed a mountain to an oracle. On the way, I found the armor that I now wear. I have no doubt that this armor is also her gift. It was the oracle that told me that we should search this pass for the true threat to Highgate. We must find Hergilash and Brosskidil, and kill them. We will need allies to fight the threat, and this will help us to get the kobolds on our side. There is more, but we can speak of that later.

In the morning, Nalik will spend some time and offer his prayers to Thor.

oliana0
2008-06-02, 08:35 AM
Oliana

Oliana listens to the converstations about gifts and whatnot grumbling inwardly, resentful.

Does Oliana know anything about Hergilash and Brosskidil? Or anyone that Hengiest is talking about? Or why some people are part trees? Or where they are or want to get to?
Knowledge:
Arcana: +10
Geography: +7
History: +8
Local: +7
Nature: +5
Everything else is untrained. :smallsmile:

WarBrute
2008-06-03, 05:46 PM
Sarrok Balderk

For the past hours Sarrok’s mind had been running on auto polite. The years of training and experience from life as police enforcer jumped into action and took his body over. Emotions, thoughts and personal feeling did not matter only that he performed his given task successfully and efficiently. As they walked through the forest he evaluated his performance. He had done well. He may not have slain any orcs but he did survive and liberated the much needed gear. Plus he found a point of escape an help lead the rest of the party to it. Well enough anyway.

Now that they had found a small sanctuary he let the thoughts of tactics and survival fade from his mind. He began the task of piecing the events together. Their capture, his map, the child and its mother, and Deladus’ transformation. So much had happened. Carter’s strike on the mother was the most disturbing to him. Being an orphan he knew how it felt to be with out parents. He reasoned though, she was a threat. He sighed. Still though he wished they could have handled it differently.

Finally his mind had shut up and he could listen to the others talk. Gifts from the Gods hmmm… Was that Dragon a God as well? He shook his head. His knowledge of religion was really quite deplorable. However he knew a enough that a dragon of black scales and rotting smell could not be a good sign. He shook his head. Remember what father says... "Base not your trust on appearance nor race for everyone is capable of evil" He smiled at his father's words as they ran through his head. Perhaps the orc child will find a new parent as I did... that is if its mother did indeed die. He felt as though he should say something but thought better of thinking what ever would come out would be out of place and foolish.

Sighing Sarrok set himself up against a tree, and loads his crossbow... ready for anything that might harm his friends.

dauphinous
2008-06-04, 06:34 AM
A few small scale, simple precautions are set up around the camp, each of which seems like it will function as intended. The light slips away, leaving a starry night in its wake. There does not seem to be a moon tonight, and it is quite dark.

Not long after Carter and Hertz begin their watch, a cool wind starts to blow lightly, and on its heels comes rain. They can just barely smell it before the first drops begin to fall, and before they have time to do much more than register the storm, it is in full flower. It is a downpour whose onset is sudden enough that it wakes everyone up as it drenches.

Torger
2008-06-04, 08:29 AM
Hengist mops his sodden face, his hair and beard matted with the torrential rain. A portent, perhaps? One from Thor? This may auger well. The rain will make us more difficult to track. Hengist moves as if not tired, having been resting, more than sleeping.

Annalia
2008-06-04, 10:10 AM
Hertz

"Harder to track, yes, but moving out while it's fully on like this is not a good idea." Hertz answers, hoping the rain would not destroy his small journal too much. He sighed "I haven't written in it for ages. We don't have time to think much anymore."

lawful_evil
2008-06-04, 11:08 AM
Carter

Sitting in the rain was not helping improve Carter's mood. Hengist's happy sunshine view of the rain was a bit more than he could take without offering his opinion.

"The clouds and rain, which obscure the moon, allow our enemy, who has better visual capabilities, to continue to operate while we are effectively blinded. The sound from the downpour hitting the ground and leaves and such effectively obscures the sounds of their movement." Carter looks around frantically attempting to see or hear anything and adds, "They could have us surrounded right now and be ready to spring their trap and we'd never know."

I'm glad I'm not tired. I'm not sure I could sleep anyway in this situation.

Holocron Coder
2008-06-04, 05:39 PM
Deladus

Deladus shakes his head at Carter's comment and makes a chopping motion with his hand at his side. "No, I believe that I would know if they were coming upon us," he states, reaching out with his forest sense to ensure his comment.

If all is well, he grins and stares up at the sky, seeming to gain strength from the rain*.

Forest Sense - 1 full round

*in the metaphorical sense

Torger
2008-06-04, 05:58 PM
Hengist seems thoroughly surprised at the lack of faith shown by his companions. He withholds comment, instead making prayer to The Lord of Thunder and thanking him for his assistance.

Hail, Thor, Lord of Thunder,
Master of the Wind of the Western World.
Hail, Thor, Hammer Wielder,
Lord of Lightning, Lord of Storms.

This refrain is repeated, interspersed with words of thanks and praise. He keeps his volume low, audible as no more than a murmur for the duration of his worship.

WarBrute
2008-06-04, 09:18 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Looks up and frowns at the rain shaking his head. He makes quick work of placing all of his things inside his pack an secures them tightly. He looks bemused at a Deladus and Hengist as they enjoy the rain.

He looks up and whispers something to Carter and grins.

Trying to look more serious Sarrok starts "I think Caters right, this could be the perfect opportunity for the orcs to sneak up on. We now know that the orcs have access to Magicians so they my be able to track us through other means besides merely physical" He shrugs not knowing much on the subject "It could be a blessing from Thor, however I think I will call badly timed precipitation"

anIceFan
2008-06-05, 12:30 PM
Nalik

even though he is just as grumpy about the rain as Carter and Sarrok, Nalik does his best to hide it.

I think this will hamper them more than us. It is unpleasant though. Is there enough material around here for us to build some sort of shelter?

He will look to see if he can see fallen branches and the like to build a lean to.

[roll0]

What a waste of a natural 20

dauphinous
2008-06-05, 07:35 PM
Through the quick application of sharp eyes, brute force, and clever hands, a temporary structure is erected that provides a fair amount of protection from the rain. It is large enough for everyone if people don't mind sharing personal space.

The rain lasts nearly an hour as a torrential downpour, then finally starts to let up. It takes roughly ten minutes for it to go from full rain to a light drizzle, then it stops completely. Everything is dripping wet, and the camping spot has become a quagmire of mud. But the stars are shining brightly again.

lawful_evil
2008-06-05, 08:45 PM
Carter

Carter doesn't mind getting wet, but is kind of disturbed by the mud. After seeing Deladus in tree form and feeling his own strangeness and green tint, Carter was feeling a little paranoid that his feet might sprout roots if he let them get too covered in mud.

Rain wasn't all that bad, it was like taking a bath without all the hassles of getting neked. All the same, he was happy to see the stars out again and moved out from under the temporary shelter for the rest of the night so he could watch the stars spin round and round.

anIceFan
2008-06-06, 03:35 PM
Nalik

There is no help for it tonight. Hengist, if you can find a way to make a small fire that would not be seen, I am sure that it would be appreciated. Beyond that, lets try and get back to sleep if we can.

If Hengist thinks he can get a fire started, Nalik will help him find wood, then warm up for a second before going under the shelter to get back to sleep. If not, he will just try and go back to sleep.

Torger
2008-06-07, 10:19 AM
Hengist
The locating of dried timber will be... difficult... given the circumstance, but your ill be done, Huskarl.

Hengist begins to rummage for firewood, staying relatively near to the camp. (Survival +8)

dauphinous
2008-06-07, 12:29 PM
Despite Hengist's skill with such, he is unable to locate any wood that isn't fully waterlogged.

oliana0
2008-06-08, 10:47 AM
Oliana

Oliana wakes up groggily when the rain starts and quickly jumps to action to protect her stuff and help where she can. Once the rain stops she wrings out her robe as best she can and tries to stay warm.

lawful_evil
2008-06-09, 08:30 PM
Carter

Carter, who wasn't sleeping before, continues to not be tired and is now uncomfortable enough that he probably couldn't sleep. He does lean back and 'daydream' while listening to the forest and watching the stars.

Huh.. maybe I'm becoming elven.

Annalia
2008-06-09, 09:55 PM
Hertz

Hertz was able to get little sleep in the wet, uncomfortable night. He sighed, turned around, yawned, turned over again, let his thought wander and there, sighed a second time before turning around once again. At my age, maybe I'll start developping rheumatisms in this rain!

dauphinous
2008-06-10, 09:36 AM
Forest Mud Pit
morning, clear skies, warm

Everyone tries to sleep, or at least rest, and morning is slow in coming. The first rays of the sun are blocked by the trees, but the light steadily increases. Everything is still damp and muddy. Birds are chirping cheerfully enough, and the various scurryings of small animals can be heard not far from the campsite.

Holocron Coder
2008-06-10, 09:55 AM
Deladus

With a sneeze, Deladus sits up from his formerly sleeping position, rubbing at his nose. Feeling a tad off, he feels his forehead. Great, standing in the rain last night wasn't such a great idea.

Sneezing again, he stands and paces around the camp, attempting to clear his flu-addled brain.

lawful_evil
2008-06-10, 06:37 PM
Carter

When the morning sun began to shine Carter got up from his muddy bed and stood before its warm healing rays with a rare smile upon his face. The sun and its life giving light brightened his mood even if his legs did feel a little slow this morning. Perhaps he did need sleep or meditation or whatever it is that them elves do.

Carter readies his gear, wipes his nose and stands guard while everyone else prepares for the day's journey. *Snork* Hmm.. maybe I'm allergic to something out here.

oliana0
2008-06-10, 11:25 PM
Oliana

Yawning a bit as her watch ends, Oliana begins her morning studies.

"Oh, I found some things on the way out of camp that I may be able to make into helpful potions and what-not, but I need time to do it. Are we planning on camping here for a while? I may be able to do something about the comforts.... Hmmmmm" Oliana's becomes buried in her book as she takes some notes and draws some diagrams.

Just role playing new item acquiring.

WarBrute
2008-06-11, 04:38 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok wakes up from the shelter and grumbles to him self wiping mud and gunk out of his hair. He sniffles and walks over to tree in search of the least muddy spot in the camp. He curls up in to a ball and says nothing.

oliana0
2008-06-11, 05:08 PM
Oliana

"Yes! Excellent! I think we can do this. First thing's first, this scroll here, goes in here." Oliana pulls out a scroll and points to her book. "This will get us shelter without rain, and some protection."

anIceFan
2008-06-11, 06:37 PM
Nalik

Our first course of action should be to find a better location to use as a base camp. Hertz and Hengist, please explore in that direction points away from Highgateand see what you can find. Return here in no more than 3 hours.

Torger
2008-06-11, 06:49 PM
Hengist

Hengist sneezes thunderously before nodding in acknowledgement. Behind all the hair, the large man looks rather wan, but says nothing, setting off in the direction he was assigned, searching for a better location

Survival +9, now. :)

lawful_evil
2008-06-11, 06:50 PM
Carter

When Nalik starts handing out assignment Carter smiles and stands nearly at attention waiting for something exciting. When Nalik stops handing out assignment, Carter's shoulders slump and he trudges slowly through the mud to check on his tripwires.

Annalia
2008-06-12, 09:41 AM
Hertz

Stretching his limbs to warm them up, Hertz headed in the direction pointed by Nalik. His path took him slightly off from Hengist, but he made sure he remained within earshot in case something happened. He smiled slightly, half-expecting to hear a booming "Skraels!" anytime now.

No ranks in Survival, but I do have a mighty Wisdom. So, Survival +5!

Holocron Coder
2008-06-12, 10:02 AM
Deladus

Deladus grins as Carter slumps dejectedly away. Mildly amused for the morning, Deladus wanders around the camp, gently touching each of the trees in the area, feeling their health and their strength. He marvels that he had never noticed such a thing before. Before this, he had been blind.

Shaking his head at his former ignorance, he sits beneath one of the trees and quietly listens to the forest, an ear out for any orders.

Forest Sense active, any chance of using that to remotely find good base camp areas? Survival +12

lawful_evil
2008-06-13, 06:57 PM
Carter

As Carter checks the makeshift alarm system, he mentions to Nalik, "If we can find a less transient campsight I've got materials to set up some traps, although I will need some time to install them."

Once his traps are checked out, Carter finds a place to stand in the sun and takes off his helmet and gauntlets to allow the morning sun to shine upon his face. Once his face is clear he 'looks' into the sun, with his eye closed and sneezes. After wiping his nose, he straightens back up and beings enjoying the warmth of the sun.

Torger
2008-06-19, 08:36 AM
Hengist

Heralede by another thunderous sneeze, the Norseman returns, slightly behind the old man. We have an issue. There are tracks outside the encampment. Humanoid. With my proportions. Either a Skrael, the one in blue, or one of comparable stature. They seem to come from this direction, Hengist points to the Northwest, and lead due north, toward rocky terrain.

Hengist's voice gets strained at the end as he tries, and fails, to suppress another sneeze.

Annalia
2008-06-19, 12:45 PM
Hertz

Hertz let Hengist report most of what they had found, aware the northsman knew better than he what they were talking of. "We found the tracks about a hour out of the encampment, and followed them for a while. We turned back once reaching the rocky terrain, where tracking was made near-impossible."

anIceFan
2008-06-19, 03:09 PM
Nalik

Nalik listens as both scouts report their findings.

There was only 1 set of footprints?
waits for answer
And they came no where near this camp?
waits for answer
Can you tell how old the tracks are?

I assume the tracks were made after the rain fall or they would have been washed out, but I don't know Nalik would know that.

Are there repercussions to Deladus staying as a tree for long periods of time? If not, then we can have him turn into a tree at night and he can always come from behind anyone attacking us. That would rock!

Annalia
2008-06-19, 03:45 PM
Hertz

"There was only one set of tracks, and they indeed never came close to here." Hertz replied, before smiling as Nalik asked once of his very own questions. "Hengist said the tracks could not be old, or rain would've washed them away."

lawful_evil
2008-06-20, 07:33 AM
Carter

A set of tracks an hour's walk from here... Could be some random woodsman or maybe some other humanoid unassociated with the orc camp.

Carter asks, "What are we thinking? Scout, searching for us? Could you tell how fast they were traveling? Was it maybe a runner sent out to warn some other group?"

Torger
2008-06-23, 08:54 AM
Hengist

Another thunderous sneeze. Thr tracks were made near the storm's end, and belonged to a single being. The pace seemed measured and sedate, and the depth did not indicate running. The being wore boots, stood over six feet tall, and, as I said, came from there, and went that way. It did not pass near this site. The Vinlander sits down heavily, leaning against a tree with his eyes closed and looking faintly miserable.

anIceFan
2008-06-23, 05:23 PM
Nalik

Nalik considers the information that has been given to him, as well as the state of the team. Some of them will not be functional for quite a while. Unfortunately, Thor is much more interested in curing battlefield ailments, and not a common cold.

He looks to Oliana,
What can your owl friend tell us? I would like to know a little more about the person who has made these footprints. I don't think Astryn or an orc would be traveling this way on their own, but we have seen that they posses the ability to fly, and that could pose us some problems.

OK, so who all has a cold at this point?

lawful_evil
2008-06-23, 05:45 PM
Carter

As Nalik is finishing his question, Carter sneezes and the fakes a smile and says, "Sawwy", his nose obviously stuffed up. He steps back and mutters, "Allergies... I think." *SNORK*

oliana0
2008-06-23, 10:06 PM
Oliana

Oliana looks up from her books, just barely to answer the question, "Fenny can fly out a mile and stay in contact with me; it sounds like the footprints were further than that away. Plus she sees better in the night, like me."

Knowledgeness:
Local +9
History +8
Geography +7
To see if Oliana knows enough about the area and Hengist's description of the walk and area to guess where BlueMan was heading. Such as local settlements, old stories, etc.

Holocron Coder
2008-06-24, 12:33 AM
Deladus

Quietly listening to the going-ons, Deladus concentrates on making his nose leak less. Leaking sap- erm, snot, wasn't very appealing.

WarBrute
2008-06-24, 04:56 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok remains in his spot under the tree seemly unconcerned with the rest of the party. He lets his mind wander back to the city with its warm fires and comfortable beds. Well maybe not comfortable always but at least mud free. He sneezes loudly and settles himself against tree.

Annalia
2008-06-24, 05:18 PM
Hertz

"I would not be surprised for this sole man being a messenger sent to warn of our presence." Hertz commented. "They would know we'd have to rest before making our next action, and so I doubt such a messenger would need to run. If it was a scout, we were lucky and he went right by us. Nothing says he wouldn't find this encampment on his way back, however."

Although by far the oldest - all proportions kept - of them, Hertz was in a fairly healthy shape. He looked somewhat tired, but did not sneeze or showed any signs of a cold.

oliana0
2008-06-24, 06:39 PM
Oliana

Oliana looks around at the conversation and barring a order to head out or move on, she will go back to her studies.

lawful_evil
2008-06-27, 05:02 PM
Carter

Given no further orders and the apparent desire to sit and rest, Carter finds a nice spot in the sun to sit and work on assembling one of the traps he purchased but never had time to deploy.

He keeps his flail nearby just in case and wears his armor in the hopes it will keep him warm and help ward off the cold that seems to be going around.

anIceFan
2008-06-28, 12:10 PM
Nalik

Torn between letting the sick party members rest, finding out more about the orc encampment, and exploring the mysterious tracks, Nalik decides to explore the tracks.

Everyone get ready to move out. We are going to see if we can find out more about those tracks.

Hertz, can you lead us to these tracks? I want Hengist to take it easy for a while.

Oliana, Have Fenny fly ahead a little and alert us if there is any activity.

Lets all be on the alert.

I decided not to break the group up for now.

Annalia
2008-06-28, 12:34 PM
Hertz

"I can, yes." Hertz confirmed with a nod. His belongings already packed and with him, he waited for the other party members to ready themselves. Once the group is ready to move out, Hertz will lead them to the tracks Hengist had discovered earlier.

Torger
2008-06-28, 01:20 PM
Hengist hauls himself to his feet, blowing his nose in an embroidered linen handkerchief. Unless assigned a different position, Hengist will attempt to eliminate signs of their having stayed here, and then follow to the rear, moving at half-speed to ensure that there is no signs of the party's passage.

Half-speed fro me is still 20 feet. :smallsmile:

lawful_evil
2008-06-28, 01:38 PM
Carter

Carter tries to push himself up and gets stuck mid motion and plops back down to the ground. He twists around to get up using an alternate set of muscles and with a bit of a groan manages to stand. He readies his flail and prepares to move out.

He takes his position nearly at the rear of the formation, just in front of Hengist.

Holocron Coder
2008-06-28, 02:28 PM
Deladus

Rising to his feet, Deladus turns to the side and sneezes tremendously. Looking somewhat sheepish at the noise, he grabs his gear and joins the group, tending towards the middle of the group.

As they travel, he'll occasionally reach out with his senses, testing for danger.

dauphinous
2008-06-29, 07:01 PM
Bootprints
midday, warm, clear

The late spring sun has a warming effect, and a drying effect. As the walk goes on, and on, and on, the ground underfoot gradually becomes less spongy and more firm. Undergrowth aids this, and by the time Hertz gets to where he's fairly certain the tracks should be again, most of the dirt is only just damp enough to not be kicked up by footfalls. As he already knows where the prints should be, Hertz locates them with a few minutes of searching.

They are bootprints, as Hengist said, and about the same size as those Hengist himself leaves in his wake normally. Whomever left these tracks was going southeast, which would be directly towards the spot the group just camped in, and turned here to go north. It is quite a sharp turn.

anIceFan
2008-06-30, 10:49 AM
Nalik

Once Hertz points out the tracks, Nalik studies them for a moment. Unfortunately. they never resolve to more that footprints to him.
To Oliana:
Have Fenny fly out along the direction of the tracks and see if she can see anything. No farther than you have contact.

Hertz and Hengist:
Did you follow them back that way at all?
He points back to the direction the tracks came from.

If they answer affirmative:
Do they continue straight in that direction?

oliana0
2008-06-30, 10:36 PM
Oliana

Oliana looks up from her work and stares a bit blankly at Nalik. "Yeah, Fenny can do that, I guess." Seeing everyone else packing up to go Oliana rolls up the papers she was working on, packs away all of her various supplies and as gently as possible packs everything away in her pack.

Oliana chips and chatters a bit to Fenny, who also shoots Nalik a glance and hoots a bit back. Oliana rolls her eyes at the bird and then points in the direction where they plan to go. The bird looses its wings flaps silently a bit then pushes off flying a few hundred feet in the distance and landing on tree branch.

Oliana turns to Hertz and requests, "Just let me know when and if we need to change directions a bit before so that Fenny can be warned." Oliana moves as lithely and lightly as a half-elf wizard can.

When the group gets to the tracks she chirps out to Fenny and the owl flies off further. "He can go out about a mile."

Fenny's Spot: +6, Listen: +14
How much time has Oliana been able to spend and does the stop in the process damage any of the components if she's working on a potion? I'd planned for her to make the tiny hut entry then move on to a potion.

Annalia
2008-06-30, 11:33 PM
Hertz

"We didn't follow the trails back, no." Hertz said, silently cursing himself for not thinking of it. "By the time we'd reached the rocky spot, enough time had passed we thought good to report."

Holocron Coder
2008-07-01, 10:24 AM
Deladus

Estimating the distance they had walked and the directions of the tracks, Deladus says, "This may seem like an odd suggestion... but these tracks seem to have little to do with us. They came nowhere near last night's camp and are not heading towards the orc encampment to report." He frowns. "I'm just unsure that finding normal tracks in the woods should be so interesting."

lawful_evil
2008-07-01, 05:02 PM
Carter

Being at the back of the column, Carter doesn't really get to appreciate the little footie prints. Not like he could tell what was what anyway. If a druid walks through the forest and no one finds his trail, was he using Pass without Trace?

*Snort* Carter tries in a less than quiet manner to clear out a blockage in his nose. Clearly not thinking clearly, Carter absentmindedly starts spinning his flail around and around to pass the time.

oliana0
2008-07-01, 07:52 PM
Oliana

"If we make camp, where we make camp, I can cast a spell that will shield us from view and entrance of outside folks and creatures. Once we are all healthy again we can go blow that Orc camp out of the water. Or we can keep following this path, unhealthy and half-prepared."

anIceFan
2008-07-02, 01:24 PM
Nalik

And I am sure that the Orcs will just sit patiently while we rest and cure our sniffles.

Nalik pauses to let the heat leave his voice. He realizes that the stress of the past few days is getting to him.

It would be wonderful to spend 2 nights in the same location, and I am sure that we will use that in the future. Right now, I need to know what is going on out here. We know where that Orc camp is, and we have alerted Highgate command. It is not our job to make an assault against their camp, although we might hit them later. We will follow these footprints as best we can. Carter, Hengist, Deladus, I want you to act as a rear guard. Follow about 5 minutes behind the rest of us. Oliana, keep Fenny out ahead to let us know if she sense anything unusual.

So order would be
Sarrok Hertz Oliana Nalik
Following Hengist, Carter Deladus
I think I have put all the sneezers in the back group.

Torger
2008-07-02, 01:31 PM
Hengist nods once at the order, blowing his nose, once again, in the beautifully-embroidered handkerchief, before taking up his position at the very rear, continuing to ensure that there is no sign of their passing. His congestion has made him sound like a spineless Thrall, and as such, he chooses to speak little.

lawful_evil
2008-07-02, 04:48 PM
Carter

Carter, not having totally paid attention is caught a little off guard by Nalik's suggestion that the Orcs will just wait for the group. He was about to chime in, but decided he was too tired to argue with the little fella. So, he accepted his orders with a sigh. Great, I've got 5 more minutes to rest before I need to go anywhere.

Carter sits down and leans back against a tree. *Snort* Maybe I should get me one of them rags like Hengist has. I could just use an old shirt I suppose. Probably work just as good... and I wouldn't be able to smell the stink on account of my nose being stuffed up.

*cough cough* *akhem* Carter clears his throat, trying to move stuff around so it isn't so irritated.

Holocron Coder
2008-07-03, 01:05 AM
Deladus

Saluting with a small smirk, Deladus groups with the other sick people and waits for the others to depart, counting once they've gone.

oliana0
2008-07-03, 07:08 AM
Oliana

Oliana shrugs and plods along feeling the avian thoughts of an owl floating through the air.

Oliana won't ask Fenny to fly out in the open. If the tree lines stop, she'll notify Nalik and tell Fenny (however this works, empathicly) to wait for them.

WarBrute
2008-07-04, 03:39 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok nods and moves to the front of the group holding his head in his hand. He stifles a sneeze before they begin heading out.

Annalia
2008-07-04, 05:40 PM
Hertz

Silently following the orders, Hertz remained at the head of the group, ready to lead Nalik and the others down the path he'd taken so recently.

dauphinous
2008-07-04, 07:59 PM
Hertz, having followed these tracks through the mud before under Hengist's expertise, is able to lead everyone to a spot where the undergrowth creeps onto rocky ground. There is a small amount of clearing in the tree cover, perhaps 40 feet in diameter. In this area, there are large rocks and shrubs, but no apparent signs of passage. The tracks just stop at the rocks.

Getting from the initial point of contact to the rocks takes about half an hour.

lawful_evil
2008-07-06, 05:50 AM
Carter

Carter trudges along in the mud behind almost everyone else occasionally watching Hengist perform his magical footprint eraser trick. When the column stops so quickly after starting to follow the tracks Carter gets tense and listen intently for sounds of an ambush and scans the trees on either side of the trail.

Annalia
2008-07-06, 10:33 AM
Hertz

"Well, here it is." Hertz stated simply. "Whoever made these tracks most likely crossed the rocky clearing and erased trace of his passage. Perhaps we could go around to try and spot where he left the clearing and entered the forest again."

anIceFan
2008-07-06, 05:15 PM
Nalik

When the group reaches the clearing, Nalik silently curses the weather that brought a cold to his primary tracker. Nevertheless, he instructs the rest of the group to wait until the trailers arrive. Once they are all together they circle around the clearing so that Hengist can attempt to locate the tracks again.

Torger
2008-07-06, 09:37 PM
Hengist, looking comically miserable, passes over, around, and through the area several times in a search for signs of passage, and finds nothing. There is nothing here. Either he flew, or vanished, or took sudden pains to cover his passage, but I can find no evidence of his departure. Odin's Eye, he could even still be hiding somewhere in this crag.

Annalia
2008-07-06, 11:47 PM
Hertz

"We have seen orcs fly before." Hertz commented. "This could be one of them."

anIceFan
2008-07-07, 12:15 PM
Nalik

When you were here before, did you explore the center of this clearing?

Torger
2008-07-08, 04:05 PM
Hengist rousts himself from hrere he was busy feeling miserable, perched against a tree. No, Huskarl. No further efforts were made.

anIceFan
2008-07-08, 05:11 PM
Nalik

Nalik asseses the state of his crew and decides to check out the clearing himself.

Wait here!

He follows the direction of the tracks into the center of the clearing to see if he can find where there is any disturbance in the ground.

[roll0]

dauphinous
2008-07-08, 05:51 PM
Nalik takes a look around in the clearing, focusing on the area the tracks suggest would be the logical path the owner would have taken. He has to climb a little bit, and step carefully, but there isn't much real danger of injury, aside from the effect of falling heavily onto a sharp edge here and there. It would be a really unpleasant place to have to fight something, though, as the ground is hardly flat.

He does not find any trace of anything moving through here, though he does see a few squirrels scurry across the rocks.

lawful_evil
2008-07-08, 06:12 PM
Carter

Carter, not exactly sure what Nalik is looking for, stands watching. He tried to follow the conversation with that foreign guy, but with his head kind of cloudy he didn't quite get it. That huskarl stuff always threw him for a loop.

Carter knew his roll... Stand up and charge the enemy to protect the team and ultimately Highgate. Carter watched intently as Nalik climbed around, but when that squirrel went to attack Carter lunged forward a step or two until the squirrel backed down and ran off with its nut.

With a sigh of relief at the averted battle, Carter sat down and waited to cool off. This armor was really warm today.

Annalia
2008-07-08, 11:07 PM
Hertz

Hertz watched Nalik carefully as the dwarf stepped out in the open, somewhat worried at seeing their leader take such a risk.

anIceFan
2008-07-09, 11:41 AM
Nalik

Nalik returns to the group with a dark look on his face. He first turns to Oliana,
You have a means to provide shelter from the elements, and any enemies?

I think she does, so...
Hertz and I will explore this back trail, the rest of you return to last nights camp, and rest in Oliana's shelter. We will join you there as soon as we can.

If any large Norsemen, or anyone else tries to disagree, he will tell them that their sneezing would endanger the group.

He will then turn to Hertz, Lets go! and they will follow the trail back the way it came. They will only follow for a while, if it becomes obvious that it is from the Orc camp, they will turn back.

[roll0] for following the tracks and direction and stuff

oliana0
2008-07-09, 06:37 PM
Oliana

"Right-O." Oliana will follow whomever leads her back to the camping location.

Provided the group does not encounter anything, she prepares for the evening. It will take her a bit to read-up on the spell she intends to cast.

Tiny Hut. It doesn't say that everyone has to be present when O casts the spell, but if they do to be able to pass through the hut's wall, she will wait.

lawful_evil
2008-07-09, 07:57 PM
Carter

He didn't quite follow the full extent of the long winded orders... especially the part about Olianna providing shelter. What? Did she plan on sewing her cloak into a tent? He did the get gist of it. About face. Forward march. Carter, always at the rear of the column gets to stand around and watch to make sure everyone is moving out before be moves out.

WarBrute
2008-07-10, 12:38 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok look was about to follow Nalik but then he sneezed loudly and stagger a bit. He decides to follow orders and follows Oliana.

Annalia
2008-07-10, 12:57 AM
Hertz

The monk nodded to Nalik, following his leader down to the other end of the tracks. When it became apparent the dwarf had trouble seeing the tracks correctly, he tried to help out, though he kept his eyes and ears open.

I'm assuming that with that '6', Nalik won't be having a lot of success tracking. :smallwink:
Survival: [roll0]
Spot and Listen at +8.

dauphinous
2008-07-10, 06:17 AM
Foresting
midday, clear, warm

Most of the team troops back to the mud pit that was the previous night's camping spot. The ground is still squidgy and muddy there, even though it has firmed up in several places along the way to the location.

Nalik and Hertz cast about to find the tracks that seemed so obvious after Hengist pointed them out, but discover that signs of passage are not as easy to follow as the big man makes it look. They only manage to follow ever shallower bootprints for about 10 minutes before they are left with the choice of either heading off to the northwest in the hopes of picking up the trail elsewhere or giving up.