PDA

View Full Version : Shadow animal companion?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-24, 06:56 PM
Did anyone else notice that in Faiths of Eberron pg 98, there's an NPC that has a Shadow Dire Bear as her animal companion? What gets more interesting is that the NPC's only 12th-level druid, and Dire Bear animal companion comes at 13th.

Now, would you allow your character to acquire a templated animal companion? For those who are not very familiar with the template, Shadow template is from Lords of Madness, LA +2 (CR +1), that when applied to an animal its type changes to Magical Beast.

What do you think about that?

p.s. Oh yeah, the druid also has Shadow template.

Zincorium
2008-03-24, 07:03 PM
Since when have NPCs had to follow the same rules as the PCs? As long as the CR is adjusted properly, there's nothing wrong with it.

That said, I don't think there's any way RAW to get that kind of thing as a PC.

Talya
2008-03-24, 07:07 PM
It could be a reasonable houserule that any template applied to the druid also applies to her companion...but it's not RAW.

MeklorIlavator
2008-03-24, 07:07 PM
Is it some combination of Planar Shepard+ Natural Bond? Because that's the only way I can think that the above situation might work.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-24, 07:25 PM
Hmm, so it's not quite RAW, eh? That explains a few things I guess. Thanks a lot :smallbiggrin:

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-24, 08:58 PM
This is in Faiths of Ebberon? The same book with Planar Shepard? Doesn't that give you an ability to take a Companion of the Plane you Shepard?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-24, 10:51 PM
This is in Faiths of Ebberon? The same book with Planar Shepard? Doesn't that give you an ability to take a Companion of the Plane you Shepard?

Fortunately not.