PDA

View Full Version : I'm tough. Real Tough. (bass class)

Orzel
2008-03-24, 10:38 PM
I need help filling out my Con-based warrior class. I fear he can't do much but not die and suffer Monkitis 'til he get 20th level. But I'm stumped on more what a guy can do with super health outside of rez himself which may be too powerful.

The Paragon
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Enhance Physique

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3| Endurance

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Enhance Physique, Diehard, Run

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Training

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Enhance Physique, Bodyguard

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Perfect Body

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Enhance Physique

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Enhance Physique

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Perfect Body

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Enhance Physique

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Enhance Physique

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Perfect Body

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|Enhance Physique

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Enhance Physique

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Perfect Body

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Enhance Physique

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Harden

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d12

Class Skills:
Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str0, Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Enhance Physique (Ex)
With proper training and diet, a paragon can enhance the strengths of different organs of her body. At the 1st level and every 2 level thereafter, a paragon gains 1 body enhancement. She can’t choose the same enhancement twice unless otherwise stated.

Additional Breath Weapon- The paragon gains an additional usage of her breath weapon or reduces the round usage die by one step if she has a breath attack. A paragon can choose this enhancement multiple times.

Claws- The paragon gains claw attacks if he does not already have them. She is considered proficient with these attacks and these claw attack count as secondary attacks. Her claws attack deal damage equivalent to a dagger of the creature’s size.

Darkvision- The paragon gains darkvision 30 ft or increased her existing darkvision by 30ft.

Immunity- The paragon’s strengthened body becomes immune to certain conditions and magical effects, A paragon can be immune to poisons, sleep effects, exhaustion, or nausea. A paragon can choose this enhancement multiple times but each time they must choose another condition..

Fast Healing- The paragon gain Fast Healing 1. A paragon can choose this enhancement multiple times.

Low-Light Vision- The paragon can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. If she already has low light vision, she can now see three times as far as a human in conditions of poor illumination.

Natural armor increase- The paragon gains an increase to the character’s existing natural armor (if any) equal to its Constitution modifier.

Resistance- The paragon gains some protection from damage of whichever one of five energy types she selects: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. The subject gains energy resistance against the energy type chosen equal to his Constitution score. A paragon can choose this enhancement multiple times but each time they must choose another condition..

Endurance
A paragon gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 2nd level.

Diehard
A paragon gains Diehard as a bonus feat at 3rd level.

Run
A paragon gains Run as a bonus feat at 3rd level.

Training (Ex)
At the 4th level, a paragon’s body and mind can take to exercise better than normal. Once per week, she gains a size bonus to Strength, Dexterity, or Intelligence equal to ½ her paragon level. This effect last for a week.

Bodyguard (Ex)
At the 5th level, the paragon can protect an adjacent ally who is targeted by a direct melee or ranged attack (but not an area effect). The paragon can subject him or herself to the attack in the ally's stead. If the attack hits the paragon, she takes damage normally. If it misses, it also misses the ally. Declaring the intention to protect an ally is a free action, but the paragon can only declare protection once per round on her turn. Once declared, the ally is protected from the next attack targeting them as long as he or she remain adjacent to the paragon.

Perfect Body (Ex)
At the 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter, the paragon’s body slowly reaching perfection. She gains a special ability.

Perfect Anatomy- When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the paragon, there is a 25% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally. The paragon also becomes immune to bane and vorpal weapons.

Perfect Blood- The paragon's blood becomes a poison harmful to others, Once per round as a free action, the paragon can produce 1 dose of poison made of her blood. This is an injury poison that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d10 Con. A paragon is immune to her own poison. The poison DC is equal to 10 + ½ paragon level + Con modifier).

Perfect Breath- Once every 1d4 rounds, the paragon can attack with a scouring blast of wind from her mouth, dealing 3d6 points of damage in a 30-foot line (Reflex DC equal to 10 + ½ paragon level + Con modifier). This breath attack counts as a strong wind.

Perfect Gut- The paragon gains immunity to all poisons and diseases. Once every 1d4 rounds, the paragon can eject a blast of stomach acid from her mouth as a breath attack, dealing 3d6 points of acid damage in a 20-foot line. A save (Reflex DC equal to 10 + ½ paragon level + Con modifier) halves this damage.

Perfect Heath- The paragon gains immunity to, paralysis, stunning, death effects, necromancy effects and nonmagical disease as long as she has more than 50% of her maximum HP. The paragon can choose to selectively allow these powers, spells, or effects to affect her

Perfect Limbs- The paragon’s land and swim speed increases by 20 feet as long as she has more than 50% of her maximum HP. Under the same conditions, her flight speed increases by 10 feet if she uses wings to fly.

Perfect Mind- The paragon gains immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) as she has more than 50% of her maximum HP. The paragon can choose to selectively allow these powers, spells, or effects to affect her.

Perfect Nerves- The paragon gains immunity to stunning effects. Additionally, once per round, she may send a line of electricity arcing from her body at any single target within 30 feet. This bolt deals 3d6 damage; a Reflex save (Reflex DC equal to 10 + ½ paragon level + Con modifier) halves this damage.

Perfect Recovery- Whenever the paragon is healed damage, she is healed the maximum amount.

Perfect Sight- The paragon can see things as they really are as if she where under the true seeing spell. She can see this way for an number of minutes equal to her Constitution score. She may spread the use of her sight of several uses.

Perfect Skin- The paragon gains damage reduction as she has more than 50% of her maximum HP. Subtract a number of points from the damage the paragon takes each time he is dealt damage equal to her Con modifier.

Perfect Step- The paragon’s feet can become heavy at a moment’s notice. She gains the stability racial feature (If the standard race already has this ability, the bonuses stack). Once per round, her foot stomp can create a shockwave that travels along the ground in a 20 ft cone. The shock wave affects only creatures standing on the ground within the power’s area. Creatures that fail their saves (Reflex DC equal to 10 + ½ paragon level + Con modifier) ) are thrown to the ground, become prone, and take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

Ability boost-The paragon’s Con score increases by 2.

Ability training- A paragon prefect breath, perfect gut, perfect nerves, or perfect step deals an additional 2d6 damage and gains a 10 ft increase to its range. A paragon can choose this enhancement multiple times.

Harden (Ex)
At the 20th level , the paragon can hold still and freeze, effectively petrifying herself. As move action, she can freeze in place. She is treated as a construct rather than whatever the paragon’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, she gain hardness equal to 20 plus her Constitution score. To move again, the paragon must take a full round reanimating her body. When hardened the paragon no longer ages and does not needs to eat, sleep, nor breathe.

Orzel
2008-03-26, 05:33 AM
Anybody have and idea to a l10th levelish ability? Also is Harden too weak for a 20th level capstone?

Xefas
2008-03-26, 06:24 AM
You left out Weapon and Armor proficiencies. Considering the kind of character you're going for, such things are very important.

But, regardless, I don't think you would suffer "Monkitis", as you put it, quite as badly as the Monk, considering the Bodyguard ability allows you to at least keep squishier party members alive.

However, I would worry instead that the person playing a Paragon is going to get very bored very fast. In addition to falling into the non-ToB martial routine of "I move I attack, I move I attack, I move I attack, I move I attack", they're liking to be even more prohibited. Since their one ability that gives usefulness to the class as a whole (Bodyguard) requires you to be standing adjacent to an ally to use, its very likely you won't want to move at all.

So, they can either pick up a reach weapon and attack whatever is adjacent to their guarded party member that's attacking them or they can use a non-reach weapon and hope all the encounters are filled with Intelligence 2 or lower creatures who will keep attacking them even though its obviously useless. In one case, their routine is "I attack, I attack, I attack, I attack" and the other is "I pass, I pass, I pass, I pass".

Overall, something I would never ever play.

Maybe add some more things like Perfect Breath that actually give some variety to what a player can choose from in battle.

brian c
2008-03-26, 07:43 AM
Resistance is a pretty weak ability, all things considered. Even if Con is your primary attribute, the best it'll get is probably about +10 or so; 10 resistance to one element doesn't do you a whole lot of good unless you know you're going to be up against a lot of elemental damage of a certain type. Double the Con modifier, or even 10+Con would be a more desirable choice.

sonofzeal
2008-03-26, 05:37 PM
Excellent and much needed class! I hope to see this tweaked to perfection soon!

The ability to have Fast Healing 10 by lvl20 is out of line with what other classes offer. I'd scale that back.

Natural armor increase as well.... does that mean that a Kobold with 22 con (after items and whatnot) could take a single level in Paragon to get a +6 to their natural armor? That seems excessive. I'd make it functionally identical to the Improved Natural Armor feat. Also, you should specify whether or not it can be taken by creatures with no base natural armor.

Why not bump Run up to 8th level? That fills in a dead level, and spreads out bonus feats better. Remember, feats often have uses beyond their stated power merely by being feats.....

Perfect Breath - what type of damage is that, physical? If so, does DR apply? Force damage might be appropriate here.

Ability boost - Potential abuse when combined with Deepwarden's Con-to-AC, or similar abilities. Something to keep in mind.

Orzel
2008-03-26, 05:44 PM
However, I would worry instead that the person playing a Paragon is going to get very bored very fast. In addition to falling into the non-ToB martial routine of "I move I attack, I move I attack, I move I attack, I move I attack", they're liking to be even more prohibited. Since their one ability that gives usefulness to the class as a whole (Bodyguard) requires you to be standing adjacent to an ally to use, its very likely you won't want to move at all.

So, they can either pick up a reach weapon and attack whatever is adjacent to their guarded party member that's attacking them or they can use a non-reach weapon and hope all the encounters are filled with Intelligence 2 or lower creatures who will keep attacking them even though its obviously useless. In one case, their routine is "I attack, I attack, I attack, I attack" and the other is "I pass, I pass, I pass, I pass".

I was afraid of that. D&D mostly uses breath attacks and poisons for Con based attacks. Anyone who of any other offensive uses of Con or overall toughness.

Maybe add some more things like Perfect Breath that actually give some variety to what a player can choose from in battle.

What if I make the Breath attack a base ability?

Xefas
2008-03-27, 07:30 AM
What if I make the Breath attack a base ability?

Well, that might help. Overall, you probably need to just brainstorm things a really unnaturally tough person could actively do.

A smart person can solve problems. A *really* smart person can throw fireballs.
A wise person can't be fooled. A *really* wise person can paralyze people just by looking at them.
A tough person doesn't die easily. A *really* tough person does...what?

That's what you need to answer. Its one of the reasons why the fighter was such a flop. WotC said "A strong person can hit people. A *really* strong person can...hit people." That's what you're doing right now with the Paragon. (i.e. "A tough person doesn't die easily. A *really* tough person...doesn't die easily")

Think of the difference the Wizard class makes for smart people, and follow that train of thought for the Paragon and tough people. If being brainy lets you make the air spontaneously combust, then surely there's a suitably far leap for being really durable.

DracoDei
2008-03-27, 08:31 AM
Someone who is REALLY tough considers getting stabbed through the hand to be the first step in disarming the other person? Might not work, especially just by itself... but maybe you can flex your muscles when hit so that you make free disarm or sunder attempts?
DR (like Barbarian, but perhaps with a faster progression) is one aspect to use if you aren't already...

Zenos
2008-03-27, 08:57 AM
So this class is made for fishes?

Sorry, but anyways, it looks good. Some of the abilities I don't understand the wording of, but it looks promising.

Orzel
2008-03-28, 02:13 AM
Qwll strong and dexterous characters has strong muscles and muscle control. The smart, dedicated, and charismatic have powerful brain. The tough heroic master has a strong... everything else.

Well theres the strong organs and really strong organs

Enhance Physique is just strong organs. things you might see on a low level guy or a race with a stronger the normal organ like elfsight or poison immune.
Skin- That's natural armor and energy resistance
Eyes- Darkvision and Low light vision
Ears- Blindsense is too strong for a basic power, right?
Respiratory (Lungs)-????
Digestive(stomach)-????
Immune system-Minor immunities
Nervous-????
Endocrine- Training is basically the 'riods.
Circulatory(blood)-???
Skeletal-???
Hands and Feet- Claws via sharp nails

Perfect Body is superhero level organs.
Skin- That's natural armor and energy resistance
Eyes-Perfect Sight
Ears- Blindsense or Blindsight
Respiratory (Lungs)- Perfect Breath
Digestive(stomach)- Perfect Gut
Immune system-More immunities plus poison blood
Nervous- Perfect Nerves and Perfect Mind
Endocrine- ????
Circulatory(blood)- Shoot blood? Nasty.
Skeletal-Perfect Anatomy
Hands and Feet- Perfect Limbs and Perfect Step

Basically the paragon is Superman minus the strength, flight, speed, and laser eyes. He shrug off the dragon's breath attack then latches onto it's tail. She ignore the wizard's physical spells and blow him into a wall. A high level paragon has access to most tough or "enhanced X" superpowers for any comic.