PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Build

hawkboy772042
2008-03-25, 01:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I was thinking of making an evil NPC for my current or next campaign modeled after the Terminator. I was thinking of making it a Warforged Ranger 5/Assassin 10 . Any other ideas out there? (I have the Complete Books, Core Books, Book of Exalted Deeds, and the Ebberron Campaign Setting).

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-25, 01:21 PM
Improved Toughness? Nemesis (BoED)? Diehard? Wand of Repair Damage for between encounters?

If you want him to pass as human, then a hat of disguise or some other glamour. Something to improve AC and/or damage reduction.

Frosty
2008-03-25, 01:41 PM
Needs to be a changeling or Doppleganger with LOTs of regeneration if you want to model the T-1000.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-25, 02:01 PM
Needs to be a changeling or Doppleganger with LOTs of regeneration if you want to model the T-1000.

With the war shaper PrC if you want to go that route. Just realized the assassin spells will get you disguise self etc. so forget that hat unless you want really high DCs.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-25, 02:03 PM
EWP Heavy Repeating Crossbow with pump action to represent a shotgun? :)

SilverClawShift
2008-03-25, 02:13 PM
You're aware that mindflayers are actually from the future right? They launched themselves back in time at the end of the universe.

Maybe they set up a way to send this warforged back to help ensure something important to their races development occurs? Just a thought.

Breaw
2008-03-25, 02:15 PM
I would also look long and hard at invisibility and improved invisibility. How frequently do you want your NPCS making fort saves or dying?

You have a couple options I see (although let me say I love the idea).

1) Play the character dumb, avoid using invis & improved invis for free death attacks. (Bad idea)

2) Play him smart, but you better have at least 1 VERY experienced batman wizards PC pretty much dedicated to eliminating the assassins element of surprise. My favorite character of all time was an assassin, and with greater invis, D-door and spider climb (as well as +27 to hide) I could get by almost anything.

3) He's an NPC so tweak him at will. Take away his ability to be turned invisible, but give him some appropriate toys to make up for it. Some HP regen per turn and disguise self at will will fit quite nicely. He's an NPC, so you can run with it.

Honestly a certain amount of regen (Like 5 hp per round would be badass, but not totally out of order) and disguise self at will with a passable disbelief DC would be a lot of fun.

You could even give him some DR as well as regen, but make him somewhat easy to run away from. (In the terminator style)

Those are a few thoughts at least, take em or leave em. :smallamused:

Tweekinator
2008-03-25, 04:17 PM
Which model Terminator?

Ascension
2008-03-25, 04:25 PM
You're aware that mindflayers are actually from the future right? They launched themselves back in time at the end of the universe.

Maybe they set up a way to send this warforged back to help ensure something important to their races development occurs? Just a thought.

Oooh, this makes me think of something...

Do you have MMV?

This sounds like the perfect time to pull out... THOON.

SilverClawShift
2008-03-25, 04:33 PM
This sounds like the perfect time to pull out... THOON.

WHEN?!

Sorry, it's a lame joke, I know.

hawkboy772042
2008-03-25, 04:52 PM
Which model Terminator?

I was thinking of having the one from the first movie.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-03-25, 07:09 PM
You could easily tweak a Marut (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm#marut) to suit your fancy. Covers the neigh-invincible feel you got from Ahnuld, assuming your PCs aren't too superpowered already.

Talya
2008-03-25, 08:13 PM
You could easily tweak a Marut (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm#marut) to suit your fancy. Covers the neigh-invincible feel you got from Ahnuld, assuming your PCs aren't too superpowered already.

Yeah, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention one. They are D&D's terminators.

hamishspence
2008-03-26, 11:47 AM
Nimblewright from MMII is a construct, intelligent, fast, with extendable rapiers, and magical ability to disguise itself. A good monster for terminator flavoring without being direct clone of it.

Mind flayers lose their From the Future theme in 4th ed, being from the Far Realm instead. Unlike aboleths, they have no interest in making the world far-Realm-ish.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-26, 12:17 PM
Nimblewright from MMII is a construct, intelligent, fast, with extendable rapiers, and magical ability to disguise itself. A good monster for terminator flavoring without being direct clone of it.

I second that - Nimblewrights could make an excellent base for a terminator. You could, potentially, change one or both of the rapier arms for automatic bolt launchers or something.

Mind flayers lose their From the Future theme in 4th ed, being from the Far Realm instead. Unlike aboleths, they have no interest in making the world far-Realm-ish.

That's a good thing IMO. The whole Time Travelling flayers thing was way too wonky and creates serious continuity issues.

Though I would rather have a return to space faring flayers and neogi.

*prays for 4e Spelljammer and Dark Sun*

Morty
2008-03-26, 12:19 PM

Aren't they from Far Realm already in 3ed? I seem to recall reading about it on Planewalker.
EDIT: Yep, they are, but only in Planescape, which means only in 2ed.

hamishspence
2008-03-26, 12:24 PM
Thoon in MMV was a batch of mind flayers who went to Far Realm and came back with weird alterations and beliefs. I think 4th ed may have taken that theme and continued with it, making them all from Far Realm.

Lord of Madness was the WOTC aberrations sourcebook with extra detail on most of the famous ones, including Mind Flayers, and had the From the Future theme, which was interesting, but maybe not good for all campaigns.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-26, 12:48 PM
Well in my campaigns they always have and always will be scary monsters from outer space.

Though I suppose that the Far Realm and Outer Space can be easily combined into a singular concept, or that they exist in tandem - e.g. there are naturally occuring rifts to the Far Realm (with greater frequency/reliability) in Space.

Edit: Say, all this talk of Aberrations made me think - isn't there a graft in one of the books that involves putting skin over a critter? Could that be adapted to give your Terminator living flesh?

TheMeanDM
2008-03-26, 01:14 PM
You can't actually play a Marut, as there is no LA for it. Not LA +0...it's just a --. Meaning, not a playable race.

Stabby
2008-03-26, 01:28 PM
Thats ok, its an NPC. So very very playable... for the DM

Keld Denar
2008-03-26, 01:34 PM
pull out... THOON.

That's what she said?

uh oh...

TheMeanDM
2008-03-26, 01:40 PM
Sorry, missed that he was making an NPC...meaning he's the DM...meaning he can do anything he wants :smallbiggrin:

Tweekinator
2008-03-26, 03:09 PM

Yes, this looks awesome for a DnD version of a T-800.

Indon
2008-03-26, 05:11 PM
Yes, this looks awesome for a DnD version of a T-800.

It's one houseruling away from being a T-1000, too: Regeneration 10.

As for superpowered PC's, it is advancable to over 40 HD. That should get you a couple more CR's out of it.