PDA

View Full Version : Complete warrior Question

Godna
2008-03-25, 02:40 PM
How is the damage handled if you have both momentum swing from combat brute and improved power attacked from frenzied beserker.

Keld Denar
2008-03-25, 02:46 PM
Handle them using the standard D&D multiplier rules. 2x + 2x = 3x, 2x + 4x = 5x, etc.

Craig1f
2008-03-25, 02:48 PM
How is the damage handled if you have both momentum swing from combat brute and improved power attacked from frenzied beserker.

What lussmanj said. Just add an extra 1 damage for each point of power attack.

Godna
2008-03-25, 02:50 PM
so 4 damage for 1 pentaly to hit when using a two handed weapon wow!

I already know shock trooper helped with the attack penalty and that in complete warrior but what is leap attack i keep hearing about whenever power attack is brought up

What else can you use to make power attack more powerful?(please include the source also)

AmberVael
2008-03-25, 02:55 PM
so 4 damage for 1 pentaly to hit when using a two handed weapon wow!

No, it would be three damage.

Godna
2008-03-25, 03:01 PM
momentum swing makes it do 3 damage per 1 point of penalty though and improved power attack also makes it do 3 for 1 point and thats why i was asking since it explain what to do if they already did +3 for each -1

Keld Denar
2008-03-25, 03:11 PM
Leap Attack(CAdventurer) has very minor prereqs (5 ranks in jump? What self respecting barbarian DOESN'T have 5 ranks in jump?) and gives you a 100% increase in PA when you jump as part of a charge. You just gotta hit the DC 10 jump check and have the available charging distance to get a 20' start + 10' jump.

So, FB gives you a 4-1 retun on PA. If you Leap Attack as part of a FB Supreme PA, you get 8-1. I don't think that affects Momentum Swing though, since MS affects the turn AFTER you Leap Attack, so you would fall back to 5:1, still great, but not 8:1.

If its not dead yet, you are doing something wrong....

Person_Man
2008-03-25, 03:23 PM
What lussmanj said.

Note that there's a long standing dispute about whether Leap Attack with a Two Handed Weapon gives you a 3:1 or a 4:1 ratio. There was a confusing errata. Cust Serv has given multiple different answers. And I've seen many regulars disagree about it.

Also note that a FB is a very poor choice, IMO. Your Frenzy is easily set off and wasted whenever you take damage, making it impossible to save for boss fights. You could accidentally kill one of your own party members. And its much easier to get massive damage via a variety of other means (Power Attack, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, Favored Power Attack, Headlong Rush, Battle Jump, Spirited Charge, Duskblade, Claws of the Beast, unarmed combat, half the Tome of Battle, etc).

Godna
2008-03-25, 03:43 PM
I picked frenzied beserker because it fit character fluff

Godna
2008-03-25, 06:42 PM
What is favored power attack and where is it?

AslanCross
2008-03-25, 07:49 PM

Complete Warrior, page 98. It does even more damage with Power Attack against favored enemies.

Nebo_
2008-03-25, 07:57 PM
Note that there's a long standing dispute about whether Leap Attack with a Two Handed Weapon gives you a 3:1 or a 4:1 ratio. There was a confusing errata. Cust Serv has given multiple different answers. And I've seen many regulars disagree about it.

There's nothing wrong with that errata. I can't see how there could possibly be any confusion over it. The ratio is clearly 4:1.

Zincorium
2008-03-25, 08:04 PM
Yeah, Nebo is correct on this one. If you want further confirmation, check out the errata for frenzied berserker. It gives a 50% bonus, and then a 100% bonus, corresponding to the 3 for 1 and 4 for 1 rewards as stated in the descriptions. Leap attack gives the same 100% as the FB capstone.

Note that this means a frenzied berserker with leap attack would get a +200% bonus altogether, meaning that the total return for a frenzied leap attacking berserker would be 6 points of damage for every 1 penalty to attack with a two handed weapon. Scary.

Keld Denar
2008-03-26, 05:55 AM

Its not really a dispute, last I've seen. The FAQ came out and stated that it was a 100% increase, rather than a x2 multiplier. That means it doesn't fall under normal D&D multiplication rules and must be handled in some other way. The only other way to increase something by 100% is to double it. That means 2x becomes 4x.

Kioran
2008-03-26, 06:50 AM
Even if thatīs the official ruling, itīs somewhat ridiculous as it vastly overshadows any melee tactic except for trip cheese......Itīs a case were Iīd intentionally misread the official rules, like a kind of houserule.

Ascension
2008-03-26, 07:03 AM
Well it's not like frenzied berserker doesn't have its drawbacks. Yeah, it can completely own people. But those people could be your own party members.

Person_Man
2008-03-26, 09:37 AM

As Aslan pointed out, its in CW. In increases your Power Attack bonus against Favored Enemies to 2:1 with a one handed weapon (take Oversized TWF) or 3:1 with a two handed weapon. Take a few levels of Stalker of Kharash or Harper Paragon to get Favored Enemy (Evil), and focus your other Favored Enemy choices on non-Evil things. You actually end up being a better Paladin then most Paladins.

Crimson Avenger
2008-03-26, 09:47 AM
Well it's not like frenzied berserker doesn't have its drawbacks. Yeah, it can completely own people. But those people could be your own party members.

Heh heh!

For an example, check out my post in the worst game thread about our FB, and the sunday before this Easter.