PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with Warforged Warblade

sikyon
2008-03-25, 02:44 PM
So I've got a few quick questions in making a warforged warblade:

A) I can repair a warforged with a craft check. Is it possible for me to actually lose HP through this check though?

B) Warblade can pick manuvers from any school, correct?

C) Warblade can use a swift action to recover manuvers... how many times an encounteR?

D) Wolf fang does not stack with twin weapon fighting penalties, right? What about off hand strength modifier?

E) Weapon aptitude means that if I choose exotic weapon proficiency, I have proficiency with all exotic weapons?

F) Sudden Leap. How is this best used?

G) Can I use a manuver when I'm in a stance? Can someone help explain stances?

H) Can I prep 1 manuver 3 times to use it 3x in one encounter?

I'm trying to come up with a level 1 warblade warforged. So EWP in two bladed sword, using blood in water stance, steel wind for multiple targets, wolf fang for single target if it works the way I hope. I'm concerned about my AC though. Ideas?

Ecalsneerg
2008-03-25, 02:53 PM
A) I can repair a warforged with a craft check. Is it possible for me to actually lose HP through this check though?
Not that I know of...

B) Warblade can pick manuvers from any school, correct?
Like it explicitly states in ToB: Diamond mind, Iron Heart, Stone dragon, Tiger Claw, White Raven

C) Warblade can use a swift action to recover manuvers... how many times an encounteR?
Unlimited times

D) Wolf fang does not stack with twin weapon fighting penalties, right? What about off hand strength modifier?
Nope, penalties don't stack. I'd assume the 1/2 x off-hand str rule applies.

E) Weapon aptitude means that if I choose exotic weapon proficiency, I have proficiency with all exotic weapons?
Yes and no. Each day you can spend time to change the feats to another weapon, but Weapon aptitude allows a single feat to be changed to one single weapon. So, theoretically you could use all Exotic weapons, but only proficient with one per day.

F) Sudden Leap. How is this best used?
Well... you can jump as a swift action into contact with something, allowing a full attack action. Alternatively, as swift actions don't provoke AoAs, you can use it retreat with.

G) Can I use a manuver when I'm in a stance? Can someone help explain stances?
Yes, you can use maneuvers while in stances. Look on p38 for an explanation on how stances work (last paragraph on the page)

H) Can I prep 1 manuver 3 times to use it 3x in one encounter?
No.

Arbitrarity
2008-03-25, 02:57 PM
B) No, only tiger claw, white raven, Iron Heart, diamond mind, and stone dragon.
C) indefinite. You can't initiate a manuver in the same turn, and have to attack or waste a standard action after you use the swift action, however.
D) I'm pretty sure it doesn't stack with TWF penalties, but I think the strength mod is still 1/2 offhand.
E) No. You have proficiency with 1 that you can change every day.
F) Personally, to deliver full attacks, or to provide a mobility edge.
G) Yes. Stances are like continual effects, and you can select 1 at a time to gain the benefits (or drawbacks) of. Normally, you can be considered to be in an "empty" stance, that you replace with the benefits of whatever stance. The benefits of a stance can be used at all times. Stances work out of combat, as well.
H) No. I can't remember where though :/

Douglas
2008-03-25, 02:57 PM
B) No. Warblades have access to the disciplines of Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, Tiger Claw, White Raven, and Stone Dragon. This is specified, among other places, in the first paragraph of the Maneuvers section of the class description.

C) As many times as they like. Note that doing so places restrictions on what else you can do that round, however.

D) I'm not sure. I think this was answered in the ToB FAQ somewhere on the WotC boards.

E) No, it means that you can spend an hour to change which exotic weapon you are proficient with.

F) With a high jump modifier, and when you need to move without spending a move action.

G) Yes. You can have any one stance active at any time. This places no restrictions on your actions other than the inability to have another stance active without ending the first one. Stances do not need to be readied, all your known stances are available at all times.

H) No. Any one maneuver can only be prepared once.

Vortling
2008-03-25, 03:00 PM
If you're concerned about your AC, look into the Adamantine Body feat from Races of Eberron. However it's a first level only feat so you wouldn't be able to use your two bladed sword until level 3. Nothing stops you from using two martial weapons before then with the maneuvers you have.

sikyon
2008-03-25, 03:40 PM
Yes thanks, I worded b and e poorly. I meant I don't have to stick to one of the perscribed schools, and I knew that I had to spend an hour. Sorry about the confusion.

However, I'm having alot of diffuclty undrestanding how this jump thing is useful Would it be like... perhaps instead of a charge useful? Like I spend the previous round doing a full round run action and then I jump? The penalty to jump seems huge if you're stationary.

sikyon
2008-03-25, 03:48 PM
If you're concerned about your AC, look into the Adamantine Body feat from Races of Eberron. However it's a first level only feat so you wouldn't be able to use your two bladed sword until level 3. Nothing stops you from using two martial weapons before then with the maneuvers you have.

Hmm, do I need proficiency with heavy armor to use adamantine body? I don't remember. Anyhow, it doesn't fit into the fluff that well.

I'm not even sure if ToB will be allowed. My general thoughts are it probably wont' due to the complexities. I might just go with fighter or bararian, as their weaknesses are not that great (very low level campaign). Do you guys think I should go with fighter or barbarian for first level, if that's the case? I know barbarian is better all around, but the problem is that they don't get craft as a skill and that's neccessary to heal myself. Any advice?

The_Snark
2008-03-25, 03:56 PM
Jumping scales fast if you're stationary, true, but there's a 3rd-level Tiger Claw stance that provides a +10 bonus on Jump checks and lets you treat all jumps as running jumps. And a 5-foot jump is only DC 10, which isn't too hard to make; an extra five feet (in addition to a 5-foot step) can be useful sometimes.

Of course, if you have Adamantine Body, that'll keep you from using Sudden Leap to good effect for a long time, what with a -11 penalty to Jump checks; might want to give that maneuver a miss if that's the case. The Mithril Body feat is a light armor equivalent, giving you a +5 armor bonus and a -2 armor check penalty. And no, you don't need to be proficient with heavy armor to have Adamantine Body.

Fighter or barbarian are pretty even at 1st-level, and remember your wizard or sorceror can learn Repair spells. I'd reccomend Extra Rage as a barbarian feat, if for some reason you don't go for one of the two armor-enhancing warforged feats.

Douglas
2008-03-25, 04:09 PM
Yes thanks, I worded b and e poorly. I meant I don't have to stick to one of the perscribed schools, and I knew that I had to spend an hour. Sorry about the confusion.

However, I'm having alot of diffuclty undrestanding how this jump thing is useful Would it be like... perhaps instead of a charge useful? Like I spend the previous round doing a full round run action and then I jump? The penalty to jump seems huge if you're stationary.
You can spread your maneuvers out however you like among the five disciplines you have access to, and you do not need to be using any discipline's favored weapon in order to use maneuvers from that discipline.

Weapon Aptitude is applicable to Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Sudden Leap is useful whenever you want to move but also want to do something else that would use your move action. For example, if you wanted to full attack but your target is too far away to reach with a 5' step. You could use Sudden Leap to jump as a swift action and, if your jump check is high enough, be in range and still have your entire full round action available for the full attack. Alternatively, if you want to full attack someone adjacent to you but don't want to be close enough for him to return the favor, you could full attack and then use Sudden Leap to jump away.

Ograbme
2008-03-26, 12:07 PM
H) No. Any one maneuver can only be prepared once.
This is a surprise to me. Where does it say that?