PDA

View Full Version : Kumite Round One, Match 4; Stone Dragon Swordsage vs Diamond Mind Warblade

playswithfire
2008-03-25, 05:34 PM
Come forward, Sir Foebane and Yedra! You shall now fight for the honor of your schools. Enter now, declare yourselves and prepare for battle!

First post, roll initiative. You also describe your one standard action and one swift of prep. You may also wish to give a little speech to the people watching, but that's not required. All posts after that, the fight is on.

The arena, as rolled randomly, is 60 ft on a side and you're 60 feet apart. Floor and walls are smooth stone. Ceiling is 40 ft above you and magically transparent and capable of letting sound through; the crowd is watching from up there.
http://excessivefreetime.org/images/kumite/r4.jpg
If I can, I'll update this for you, but if nothing else, you've got a named grid.
Foebane is blue, Yedra is green. Your map gets obstacles, seemingly randomly placed pillars of the same stone as the walls and floor, just for the heck of it. If the pillar's 5x5, it's 10 ft tall, 5x10 it's 20 ft tall, 10x10 it's 40 ft tall and reaches the ceiling. You won't be able to knock them over. Don't try

Meynolds
2008-03-25, 06:56 PM
Initiative[roll0]
Some Rolls that need rolling - [roll1][roll2]

On the north end of the battlefield, a small dwarf stands clad in armor colored the purest green. He carries a very large sword that glows a brilliant white color. Likely, he is the most muscled dwarf most will ever meet in their lives. His body, oddly, appears to be jumping back and forth over about a span of 2 feet, with a small red stone following his every change. His stare is locked upon his foe, though he offers no challenge. He enters a simple stance which seems to make his weapon larger than it is. Suddenly, though his stance remains the same, a five foot pillar of rock comes up from the ground around him, and slopes downward at a harsh angle into the adjacent squares. After this is done, he salutes his foe and issues a challenge:

May thy knife chip and shatter!

His deep voice travels across the battlefield exceptionally well, every word is clear to his foe.

namo
2008-03-25, 09:07 PM
[roll0]
I wonder if Martial Lore applies to the stances from the PrC ?
Btw, Yedra has a high enough modifier that she'll always know what maneuvers you're using, so you can them mention them OOC.
I'll do the same if you tell me to.

Standard action : do nothing.

A tall and muscular woman strides in from the other end. She has long dark hair and an exotic air to herself, though it is hard to pinpoint why. Her cloak is light grey and her armor silver, with intricate spirals carved on its surface. A black shield hovers on her right side.

Heading to her assigned position, she stares straight ahead of her at her opponent. Suddenly, she unwinds a black bladed chain from around her waist, giving it a small whirl as she turns to salute the crowd.

Facing the dwarf again, she salutes again and calls out : "May you know honorable defeat !". She seems perfectly composed, the challenge more of a ritual than a taunt.

namo
2008-03-25, 09:33 PM
Free : activate Robilar's Gambit.
Swift : something (see sheet)*
Move to D6.

I decided she wouldn't know the stance - it seems more fun that way.

* the actions you can't know about I'll write on the sheet for the DM to check ; I can send them to you at the end of the fight if you want.

Wary of this stance of stone that she does not know, Yedra decides to approach cautiously. She runs then tumbles until she is partially protected by one of the pillars.

Meynolds
2008-03-26, 08:17 PM
As Sir Foebane begins to act, suddenly the ground begins to shake violently, as if an earthquake has swept the arena.

Moving five feet.
DC 25 Balance check or take 12d6 damage and fall prone, on success, half that and remain standing.
Another dice that needs rolling - [roll0]

ON A SUCCESSFUL SAVE
He points at her, and a ten foot tall pillar of stone shoots out of the ground below. He then moves five feet forwards, to F2 with the pillar of stone following him.
DC 25 Reflex Save or fall prone

ON A FAILED SAVE
He moves forward 5ft to F2, the pillar of stone following him.

namo
2008-03-27, 12:05 AM
[roll0] (you said Balance, but it's Reflex, right ? Otherwise I'll keep the roll and change the modifier.) That's as failed as it gets. :smallsmile:
Potential damage : [roll1]

If the 1st one succeeds : [roll2]

Round 2

Free : activate Robilar*, activate Boots of Speed
Move : stand up from prone
Swift : Quicksilver Motion - move to E2 ; the Tumble for the last 2 squares is an automatic success.
Standard : Greater Insightful Strike (1d20+44=45) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1540642/)
Wow, not my day.

* you get +4 to attack and to damage against her. I can keep track of it if you prefer.

Taken by surprise, Yedra briefly dances a quick jig trying to stay upright. But a particularly strong tremor sweeps her legs from under her, and she lands heavily on the ground with an ungraceful "urg !". Then she can only hang on to dear life as the earth batters her...

It stops as suddenly as it began and despite the ringing in her ears and her gasping for breath she knows what she must do. Jumping upright with agility, she runs to the dwarf on his pedestal, caution seemingly thrown to the wind. Until the last moment, when his blade starts a swing towards her : she ducks then rolls, narrowly avoiding the blow, and finds herself at his side.

Her mind one with her weapon, she strikes once. But a weakness she hadn't felt in her right ankle makes her falter, the chain scraping ineffectively against her opponent's armor.

Meynolds
2008-03-27, 07:03 PM
Wow, those rolls were horrible. How to take advantage...

Oh, and just for future reference: All attacks you make have a 20% miss chance.

Another Dice that needs rolling: [roll0]

Sir Foebane concentrates on his blade for a split second, and then brings his (rather large) sword in a wide arc at his foe.
The mountain shall be your grave!

After this, he shifts back and to the left of his foe.

Standard Action: Attack: [roll1] - Ignores armor, and shield. If it hits, it does 3d6 + 25 + 2d6 CON damage. Crit on 17-20/x2.
Other action: 5-foot step to G3.
Swift: Recover the maneuver.

EDIT: Should be 3d6+26, not 25. Forgot Blade Meditation.

namo
2008-03-28, 12:54 AM
Wall of Blades (1d20+44=64) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541684/) -> nice to succeed, but a wasted 20.

AoO from Robilar's Gambit : AoO (2nd d6 of damage is electricity) (1d20+50=52, 2d6+20=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541700/) -> 26 HPs + 1 Con damage (assuming you don't counter)

Notes :
- Please tell me the maneuvers you're using (Martial Lore) - though this one was obvious. You didn't tell me if you could identify mine ?
- She always auto-succeeds on the DC 10 Balance checks related to your stance.

Round 3

Free : Robilar (again, +4/+4 bonus)
Move : Tumble to H3 Tumble (1d20+28=39) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541702/)
miss chance (1-20 = failed) (1d100=71, 1d100=59) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541693/) [rolled twice thanks to Blind-Fight]
Standard : initiate Diamond Nightmare Blade. You are flatfooted against it (I think you cannot use a counter) and it is a touch attack.
1st check vs AC : 50 (yep, no roll)
2nd check vs AC : 1d20+32=40 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541737/)
See sheet for the details.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that it worked, but tell me if it doesn't.
Damage : Damage for DNB (1d6+38=39, 1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541739/) -> 39x4+5 = 161 HPs + 1 Con

"Not so fast !" Twisting her body, she brings her chain up in an arc to collide with the sword, batting it aside. This one would have crushed my ribs. she thinks to herself, having recognized the most powerful Stone Dragon technique.

Then, to the surprise of her opponent, she launches herself forward - only to roll like the last time. She ends up at her opponent's back, and without losing a second she concentrates on her blow, aiming it... Yes ! When he turns around, for a fraction his neck is not protected. ...and unleashing a blow of incredible strength.

Douglas
2008-03-28, 03:33 PM
Diamond Nightmare Blade does not deny dex bonus, make anyone flat-footed, or grant a touch attack. You have to roll against full AC unless something else is granting those benefits, the only bonus from the strike is quadruple damage.

namo
2008-03-28, 08:13 PM
Like I said, I often use other abilities. Details are on my sheet but everything is perfectly legal.

Could you 'spoiler' your comment ? Thanks.

TheMeanDM
2008-03-28, 08:45 PM
Was your sheet approved while PWF was at work? (no offense meant to either our dm or to yourself.

:smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2008-03-28, 08:57 PM
Like I said, I often use other abilities. Details are on my sheet but everything is perfectly legal.

Could you 'spoiler' your comment ? Thanks.
Ok, but it's generally a good policy to give at least some idea of why you are getting such benefits. It allows more sets of eyes than just the DM to look it over and verify that it really does work that way, and lessens the likelihood of someone feeling cheated after the match is over when he later finds out that he lost due to a misreading of the rules that the DM failed to catch. If such a thing is discovered during the match, less has to be undone to correct it.

Also, I, personally, don't trust answers to "how are you doing that" that amount to "because" or "it's a secret" very much.

Meynolds
2008-03-29, 03:57 PM
That almost killed me. Thankfully I have a few extra HP from being a dwarf.
Another die that needs rolling: [roll0].

Sir Foebane is caught by surprise by the attack, and appears most grievously wounded. He puts all of his strength into what appears to be a last ditch effort to defeat his foe...

Using Mountain Tombstone Strike
Attack - [roll1] - Ignores Armor and Shield
Damage - [roll2] + [roll3] CON
EDIT - Crit confirmation: Critical Confirmation for Kumite Round 1 - Stone Dragon Swordsage: 1D20+34 = [10]+34 = 44 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=4767) - Double Damage on success

If the strike hits
5-foot step to F3

If the strike misses
I resign. If it misses, there's not enough else I can do.

namo
2008-03-29, 07:45 PM
It hits.

Round 4
Time Stands Still
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

If enough blows hit, it may kill you (HP damage + 1 Con damage/hit). Maybe.

With the legendary endurance of dwarf, her opponent withstands the hit better than she had thought, and she is unprepared when he unleashes another terrible blow. He hits her left side at full strength.

She gasps in pain and realizes that she may not be able to fight much longer. She musters a crooked smile for her opponent : "That... wasn't bad... but let me... show you... true mastery." Her speech is halted.

And with amazing speed, she unleashes a flurry of blows on his arms, legs, torso, everywhere...

Meynolds
2008-03-30, 07:57 AM
All ten of them hit, unless the miss chance rolls are horrible:
Attack 1 - [roll0] - 1-20 misses
Attack 2 - [roll1] - 1-20 misses
Attack 3 - [roll2] - 1-20 misses
Attack 4 - [roll3] - 1-20 misses
Attack 5 - [roll4] - 1-20 misses
Attack 6 - [roll5] - 1-20 misses
Attack 7 - [roll6] - 1-20 misses
Attack 8 - [roll7] - 1-20 misses
Attack 9 - [roll8] - 1-20 misses
Attack 10 - [roll9] - 1-20 misses

The dwarven combatant is unable to keep up with the sheer speed of his foe's strikes, and is swiftly felled by the many blows.

namo
2008-03-30, 12:45 PM
Good game...

Yedra takes a deep breath and wipes the sweat off of her forehead. "Clerics ! Save this man's life, he fought bravely indeed."

Only when the dwarf is back on his feet does she accept some healing. Saluting her opponent wordlessly, she strides towards the exit, limping slightly.

Meynolds
2008-03-30, 01:12 PM
Well played on your part.

Only took four rounds too. Quite a bit of damage dealt by both sides.

The dwarf returns the salute, then limps rather heavily out of the other exit.