PDA

View Full Version : Kumite Round Two, Match 1; Setting Sun Swordsage vs Devoted Spirit Crusader

playswithfire
2008-03-25, 05:36 PM
Congratulations, Monkey King and Dar Ironsoul! You have each tasted victory; now one shall know defeat! Enter now, declare yourselves and prepare for battle!

First post, roll initiative. You also describe your one standard action and one swift of prep. You may also wish to give a little speech to the people watching, but that's not required. All posts after that, the fight is on.

The arena, as rolled randomly, is 90 ft on a side and you're 60 feet apart. Floor and walls are smooth stone. Ceiling is 40 ft above you and magically transparent and capable of letting sound through; the crowd is watching from up there.
http://excessivefreetime.org/images/kumite/r2-1.jpg
If I can, I'll update this for you, but if nothing else, you've got a named grid.
Dar is gray, Monkey is orange. Your map gets obstacles, seemingly randomly placed pillars of the same stone as the walls and floor, just for the heck of it. If the pillar's 5x5, it's 10 ft tall, 5x10 it's 20 ft tall, 10x10 it's 40 ft tall and reaches the ceiling. You won't be able to knock them over. Don't try

Reel On, Love
2008-03-25, 07:42 PM
Initiative: [roll0]
Maneuvers NOT granted: [roll1], [roll2]
Standard action: use tattoo of Expansion (size augment, duration augment) to become Huge. In the pants. (Also, everywhere else.)
In Thicket of Blades stance.

As in the last match, the massive orc enters, his black hair caught up at the nape of his neck by a long white ribbon, his mithral plate engraved with waves; the crests of the waves curl up and out of the armor in wicked armor-blades that gleam the same blue-green as the head of his guisame. His skin, too, is an odd cast--the green too deep for an orc, too mixed with blue. Something black crawls up his cheek and vanishes, and his whole body (along with his armor and weapon) expands. A round, dark-blue shield floats in front of him and to his right.
"For Tem-Et-Nu, the Lady of the River, and for my people, may my victories help their plight!" the now twice-as-massive orc calls out, looking up at the audience.

He turns his gaze to the Monkey King, levelling his weapon with one arm. The point does not waver even slightly. "A Hadozee! Unusual; I've met more of your kind as swash-bucklers upon the sea. Our peoples trade much, and we have no complaints about fairness; Hadozee are one of the few we trust."
He pulls his weapon back in and gives a short half-bow.
"I am Dar, of Sunset-on-the-Sea, first grandmaster of the Ocean Soul and far from the first Master of Five. Let us do battle with honor. I wish you the best of luck."

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 05:34 AM
OOC:
In Pearl of Black Doubt stance, for the obvious reason that Shifting Defense is utterly without merit against an opponent who outreaches you.

Standard Action: Activates a psionic tattoo.

FOR THE DM ONLY (Unless RO, L wants to trade combat blocks):
Tattoo of Force Screen, gaining +8 Shield bonus to AC.

Additionally, using a free action to invoke the Defending enhancement on his chain, to gain an additional +5 unnamed AC bonus which explicitly stacks with all other bonuses.

Current AC = 59

The Monkey King trundles to his starting position with his usual apelike gait, his whipsword in hand, unarmored and clad in brightly colored silk robes beneath a heavy cloak. He bows to Dar in a strangely drunken-seeming manner, but with a hint of fluid grace.

"Aye Orc, our peoples have no quarrel, nor I with you. We travel not far from the waves usually, but I am known as the master of my school. I do not know that I am worthy of that title, but the Setting Sun school's honor must be defended, and so I stand before you."

He salutes the Orc with a sweep of his blade.

"Good fortune and fair winds."

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 05:36 AM
OOC
Heh, forgot the initiative roll:
[roll0]

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 06:32 AM
(I'm writing my OOC blocks under the assumption they'll be looked at, so I peeked. If you do something I couldn't know about and actively label it as not for me, I won't look, though.
You can't use Defending weapons unless you're actually attacking with them... because if "wielding" just means using, everyone will want to retroactively make armor spikes and shield +X Defending.)

Declaring Dodge on Monkey King every round.
Swift action--adding Aura of Perfect Order stance.
Standard action--use Emerald Razor to make an attack as a touch attack. Power Attack for... 8. Taking 11 with Aura of Perfect Order, that hits a touch AC of... 42, for 3d6+41 + 1 CON damage; you can roll that if it hits and isn't countered. Shield doesn't apply.
Move action: Move back and to the side, so Dar takes up N-P 18-16

The edge of the orc's blade flares with a green light. "The Emerald Razor, out of The Sea is Still," he announces, with a look of deep concentration... and executes a strike with utter confidence and a curious thing referred to, sometimes, as "appropriate speed": it drifts forward just a hair too slowly to trigger a warrior's keen reflexes--but fast enough that by the time one consciously thinks to avoid it, that blade's green, Chi-enhanced edge might already be passing through armor.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 08:12 AM
(Yeah, that's why I specifically labeled that spoiler block with FOR THE DM ONLY in capital letters right above it!

I spelled out my total AC in that, and what effect the tattoo I was using had, information you SHOULD NOT HAVE. I'm actually quite upset with you looking into that spoiler block, and more so that you're now using a maneuver to dodge the AC bonus I've applied. I assumed we were being reasonable and I could simply label it and trust you. Otherwise I would have PM'd it to the DM.

Furthermore, you don't have to be attacking with the weapon at the time. It's not Combat Expertise. The obvious way to balance it is simply to state that while it stacks with all your other effects, it will not stack with itself, and therefore can't be applied to two weapon, armor spikes, shield spikes, gauntlets and boot blades.)

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 11:19 AM
(You said "unless RO,L wants to trade combat blocks", which is what made me look. I thought it was a normal combat block, with maneuvers and visible effects and stuff. If you'd just kept it as "for the DM only", that'd have been that.
Frankly, I knew your AC was really high anyway (and assuming we're aware of each others' bouts--that is, they don't happen concurrently and we can be in the audience--would've watched you never get hit even IC); IC, I'm going to probe it out anyway with thing that aren't touch attacks--Emerald Razor is just a good choice to start anyway. I'm already Power Attacking--for about half. I wouldn't Power Attack for full against a dex-y high-AC guy, touch attack or not. I also wouldn't power attack for full against Setting Sun in general.)

You have to be "wielding" a defending weapon. Furthermore, there's no reason the bonus from 2+ Defending weapons wouldn't stack--it's untyped and stacks with "all others". Reading it to
Even if it didn't stack, everyone could have +5 Defending armor spikes for +5 extra AC. You would also, hilariously, have +5 against any attack you're not expecting, since you could have it on all the time. That actively doesn't make sense.
IMO, you have to attack with the weapon to get the defending AC bonus. "It stacks with other Defending weapons" is just as reasonable an interpretatioin as "wielding" just meaning "holding".
We can wait for the DM.)

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 03:20 PM
(In hindsight it didn't make sense to put that "Unless you want to trade combat blocks" bit on the tag, I admit. I suppose I shouldn't post when I've just gotten back from class and been up for 20 hours. *sighs*

I'll wait to hear PWF's ruling on it, but I still feel that a defending weapon works when wielded, in other words, drawn and readied. I would argue that it's not something that can be applied to armor spikes, because you don't wield them per se. Wielding actually implies "hold in hand".

When referring to weapons or tools, the definition of wield is to "Handle". Handle is defined as "to touch, lift, or hold with the hands", or "to operate or manipulate with the hands".

Therefore only weapons held in your hands can work, IMO.)

playswithfire
2008-03-26, 03:37 PM
I guess I'll post it here; think I answered this in the OOC thread. This is just the issue of whether he has to be attacking to get the defending bonus and not the two defending stacking issue, right? Because I'm looking at sheets and I see only one defending item, GammaPaladin's weapon. On his turn, he used a free action to say how much of that bonus went to AC for that round. He gets the AC bonus and he can change how much it is each round. Fight on.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the ruling, PWF

RO,L, note that I do take a penalty even if I don't attack, since I lose +5 to my attack roll, which is used on some of my counters. So attempting something like Fool's Strike would be unlikely to work.

Which is why I'm attempting Baffling Defense instead.
[roll0]

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 04:47 PM
Bah... Tie goes to the attacker unfortunately.

Monkey King takes damage:
[roll0]

And activates his retributive amulet, causing Dar to take half the damage Monkey King did.

Using standard action to activate boots.
Move action: Advance 60 feet to N15, accepting the attack of opportunity.

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 05:07 PM
Bah... Tie goes to the attacker unfortunately.

Monkey King takes damage:
[roll0]

And activates his retributive amulet, causing Dar to take half the damage Monkey King did.

Using standard action to activate boots.
Move action: Advance 60 feet to N15, accepting the attack of opportunity.

(Slight mistakes...)
I just realized I made a movement mistake... Dar would move up so his upper left square is at I-11. That may change what you do.

Also, +6 damage from Mastery of Nine, which I forgot, and another +2 from an item, same.. You take 65, not 57, and make a Fort save vs. massive damage. Dar takes 33.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 05:31 PM
Oh for gosh sakes. We're using the damn massive damage rules? I hate that thing, always houserule it away.

[roll0]

And yes, it changes my action.

Monkey King spends a full round action initiating Inferno Blast.

100 damage, DC27 reflex save for half.

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 05:37 PM
(No Defending weapon this round?
[roll0]. Ouch. That thing's a lot better in tournaments than in play!)

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 05:40 PM
(Ugh, posting problems. Using Zealous Surge to reroll the save: [roll0]
Edit: @#$! dammit)

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 05:42 PM
Results and stuff: And yeah, I'm assuming we're using massive damage. That's the default. I'd be just as glad to houserule it out, though; it's lame.
[roll0], with [roll1] not-a-1 Massive Damage success. And I even forgot the -2 I have against fire effects. If I'd remembered that I wouldn't have rerolled. Ah well.
Annnd I take 85 damage, 15 in my delayed damage pool. Wow. Also, granted last maneuver. I take the 15 at the end of my turn.)

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 05:46 PM
(I take it you took the entire 100 damage?

Weapon's still defending, I figured I'd just state it if I changed it.

Not that I'm required to inform you one way or the other ;)

Hehe, yeah, Inferno Blast isn't stellar. BUT, it gives me a weapon against people with a high AC, and it's particularly nice for use against Crusaders who have a weak Ref save, are generally low dex, and don't get evasion. Seemed like a good choice for a quick evening of the odds, was guaranteed to get at least 50 damage.)

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I take 100. And yes, I should know--that's the kind of basic tactical knowledge you need to run tactical D&D combat, and besides, there should be some kind of physical change--your weapon leaps to defend you, maybe follows my weapon.

My turn: initiate Swooping Dragon Strike, with +3 from Furious Counterstrike! Move towards you ending with my bottom *right* at H 15, auto-tumbling the last square or two if I need to to avoid an AoO, Jump check: [roll0] takes me so I land with my bottom *left* corner in N-15 (that is, I take up N-P 13-15).
Attack roll, denying you your indubitably-massive Dexterity bonus to AC: [roll1], with a Stun DC equal to the jump check. Swift/immediate/etc actions... we'll see after the rolls.

So that hits AC 60--no way that can miss--and you take 13d6+34 and another point of CON damage. Plus make a DC 42 Fort save or be stunned for 1 round. Unless you counter.
I'll describe after your result.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 06:24 PM
(Disregard, nothing to see here)

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 06:56 PM
Ok... In all likelihood this roll will kill me.

[roll0]

On the off chance it doesn't, I can't possibly hit a 42DC fort save, but I will roll in the hopes of a natural 20.

[roll1]

But even if I survive and make the Fort save, it's pretty much over.

Bah, still alive, but stunned. This is fun. *rolls his eyes*

No, wait. Con damage. I'm dead, it's over, yay.

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 07:18 PM
(So what was that about your AC? And how about Fool's Strike or another counter?)

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 07:21 PM
(Fool's strike with my 1d20+24 to try and hit 60? I don't think that's going to work.

I was looking at my sheet wrong, it had actually calculated my Touch AC correctly, I was forgetting to subtract natural armor from it, so I was thinking it was slightly higher than it was.

The annoying thing is that if I'd popped Defensive Precognition instead of Force Screen, you WOULD have missed my Touch AC.)

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 07:41 PM
Wait, I thought we made new opposed attack rolls for Fool's Strike?

I'm surprised you didn't pick up Mind Over Body, Diamond Defense, and other save boosters. I mean, I may or may not have any given one myself, but I have other plans. That Inferno Strike caught me by surprise, though.

Defensive Precognition vs. Force Screen: it's a tough choice. Man, I'm regretting not getting some tattoos of that stuff. Ah, well. I was expecting to hit your touch AC by a lot, not barely.

I expected you to have more HP, too. I guess Swordsages pump WIS instead of CON. 67 + 77 = 144 HP, though? Plus the CON loss, so 164?
I'm not sure how the CON damage kills you. Whether you had odd or even CON, you've only taken 2 points (1 per hit), which makes 20 HP. I guess you had an odd CON and lost that extra 20 HP now?

I guess the lesson here is that Swooping Dragon Strike is ridiculously good against humanoid opponents. It denies DEX *and* does extra damage *and* stuns.

The massive water orc roars in pain as hated fire washes over him, pulling his hands over his face, and charges in response. His floating shield positioned to keep him safe, he uses his guisarme's butt like a vaulter's pole,making a turn and soaring high over the Monkey King's head--and with a green flash, the flat of his weapon cracks along the side of the Hadozee's head just before he lands.

"Rising Wave into Jawsnapper in Twilight," he announces, with a bow.
"Clerics! Come, restore this warrior!"

GammaPaladin
2008-03-26, 07:47 PM
You're right... The second con hit wouldn't have knocked me out. But if your calculations are correct, I hit 0 HP anyway (I had 164 exactly). I was thinking I still had one HP left, but the con would set me back to -19, again, miscalculating, thinking that each con hit would be -20, rather than every second con hit.

Either way, if you did 164, I'm out

And yeah, I didn't pump con at all. I sacrificed it for the sake of getting a combined +16 to my AC from Dex and Wis.

I didn't take save boost counters because my focus was on not getting hit in the first place. Unfortunately, your attack bonus was simply insurmountable.

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 08:20 PM
You're right... The second con hit wouldn't have knocked me out. But if your calculations are correct, I hit 0 HP anyway (I had 164 exactly). I was thinking I still had one HP left, but the con would set me back to -19, again, miscalculating, thinking that each con hit would be -20, rather than every second con hit.

Either way, if you did 164, I'm out

And yeah, I didn't pump con at all. I sacrificed it for the sake of getting a combined +16 to my AC from Dex and Wis.

Damage, let's see... looking up the posts. 65 from Emerald Razor and 77 from Swooping Dragon make... 142. Plus 20 via CON loss makes 162. So you're up and stunned, but at 2 HP. Depending on whether you're stunned until the end of my next round (i.e. stunned for my next attack) or the start (and), this is either a guarantee or useless--but odds are I get one of Swooping Dragon or Emerald Razor at the start of my next round. Although I don't think I can hit you with anything else, not without pulling out my Devoted Spirit ace in the hole (:smallwink:) Even if you're not stunned and have no miss chance or anything, Aura of Perfect Order + either one of those is a guaranteed hit. I suppose I could get neither, but those odds are 1 in 110.

Cranking DEX and WIS were a good choice in most cases--I just happened to have a couple of maneuevers that got around your AC, although those were about the only way I could hit you. Crusader/Mo9 gives me so many options I can take advantage of just about anyone--although I'm kinda short on defense. I'm trusting my high HP combined with my damage output to cover that.
Having access to Aura of Perfect Order really helps me. I can generally not have to rely on luck when it's important.