PDA

View Full Version : I've fallen and I can't get up.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-03-25, 09:25 PM
...Quite, quite literally. On Monday I broke my leg, skiing. Now I won't be walking for 5 weeks or so. Damn my insane need for warp-speed skiing, damn it!
Soo.. anyone else broke a leg or have to stay in bed for a while?

BizzaroStormy
2008-03-25, 09:34 PM
...Quite, quite literally. On Monday I broke my leg, skiing. Now I won't be walking for 5 weeks or so. Damn my insane need for warp-speed skiing, damn it!

Yeah, I got stuck in a hospital bed for a month in 5th grade with pneumonia. I decided to play a game of kickball with some neighborhood kids which resulted in a broken ankle, putting me right back in the same bed.

Bandededed
2008-03-25, 09:34 PM
Been there! Well, at the bed rest anyway.

I'm not even 20 yet, and I've sat one an ACL repair (in my knee, no nothing for a while) and 2 shoulder tendons (1 surgery, but still...)

Best part: not knowing how I tore 2 shoulder tendons :smallconfused:

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-03-25, 09:56 PM
I was a bit vague in my post above, so I'll give more info now.

So, I went skiing with my family (mom, dad and me) to a resort on the niagara escarpment. I am very good at skiing, can go down a 2 black diamond run no problem. On last Saturday, it was warm, and the snow was very wet, makes it easy to ski on if you avoid the mud patches. Then, tragedy struck. On Sunday, it was cold, and the wet snow turned to an icy pavement, especially on the flat before the lifts. I skied down the run, quite quickly, then tried to slow down, caught an edge, fell.

Aaaaugh, the pain was like nothing I had ever experienced before. I staid in hospital for a WEEK. I was returned to my bed at home, and then I posted this thread.

Brickwall
2008-03-25, 09:57 PM
In the 1st grade. It was nasty. And I broke it on the tow-lift.

Meanwhile, one time, I went careeining down a bumping hill, began falling head over heel down said hill with skis on, and I landed at the bottom of the headwall with both skis on and barely a bruise.

Life is just wrong, I tell you.

Kjata
2008-03-25, 10:02 PM
I fell about ten feet of a waterfall jump. Hurt like a bitch, but no damage.

My friend is finishing a run, looks behind for a second, and crashes. Not even going downhill. BReaks his shoulder.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-25, 10:05 PM
I've never broken a bone. Nor have my sisters, to my knowledge. And one of them skied off a cliff accidentally. >.<

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-03-25, 10:22 PM
Nope. Never broke a bone. Not ever. I'm the picture of health. Couldn't be happier if I was twins about the whole thing!

Except...Well, there was that broken wrist when I was five.

There was also the time that woman tried to get her Volvo in my left leg. It didn't fit, and I not only had a hairline fracture in my fibula, but had two surgeries on the left knee. I think I needed bedrest after both surgeries.

Oh...I also lost my temper when I discovered my first fiancé in a loving embrace with another guy, kicked something larger and heavier than me, and chipped a bone in the middle of my foot. I recall something about having to keep my foot elevated as much as possible.

Hmmm...Might've been a couple of surgeries in there where the bones were cut/shaved so they would heal properly. Poor healing and infect might've required me to stay in bed...a little foggy on those.

Rumor has it I also had osteomyelitis in the third metarcal of my right foot, and had a pathological break when most of the bone disintegrated. Six weeks of IV antibiotics and the condition itself kept me from running any marathons.

And I can't be sure, but I just MIGHT have mentioned tripping over a curb last Oct. and splitting the second bone in my right big toe up the middle, which led to severe secondary osteoarthritis.

But after THAT, there've been no broken bones. Nope. Not a one. :smalltongue:

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-25, 10:28 PM
Nope. Never broke a bone. Not ever. I'm the picture of health. Couldn't be happier if I was twins about the whole thing!

Except...Well, there was that broken wrist when I was five.

There was also the time that woman tried to get her Volvo in my left leg. It didn't fit, and I not only had a hairline fracture in my fibula, but had two surgeries on the left knee. I think I needed bedrest after both surgeries.

Oh...I also lost my temper when I discovered my first fiancé in a loving embrace with another guy, kicked something larger and heavier than me, and chipped a bone in the middle of my foot. I recall something about having to keep my foot elevated as much as possible.

Hmmm...Might've been a couple of surgeries in there where the bones were cut/shaved so they would heal properly. Poor healing and infect might've required me to stay in bed...a little foggy on those.

Rumor has it I also had osteomyelitis in the third metarcal of my right foot, and had a pathological break when most of the bone disintegrated. Six weeks of IV antibiotics and the condition itself kept me from running any marathons.

And I can't be sure, but I just MIGHT have mentioned tripping over a curb last Oct. and splitting the second bone in my right big toe up the middle, which led to severe secondary osteoarthritis.

But after THAT, there've been no broken bones. Nope. Not a one. :smalltongue:

[/thread]

Anyway, I personally haven't broken any bones, but I did step on a large piece of glass barefoot in my early teens. Took me nearly five minutes to notice. Have a real interesting scar, too... Took sixteen stitches and eight weeks in a cast to fix up. I remember my mom yanking the last stitch out, while we were watching Armageddon.

Midnight Son
2008-03-25, 11:33 PM
I once flew off a 15' cliff. That's right. I flew...for a very short time.

I was at our scout camp and my brother, his best friend, my best friend and I decided to have a pinecone fight. Well, My best friend and I found this nifty hiding place to fortify against enemy attack. To get to it, one had to run along the edge of a cliff(about a 5 foot shelf). So there's a cliff going up to one side and down to the other. Right at the end of the shelf there was a tree with a big root to hide behind. That's the set-up.

So I'm out foraging for pinecones and my brother spots me and calls to his friend. Not wanting to get pelted by cones, I hightail it back to the hideout and jump over the tree root, forgetting that it slopes down to the cliff edge. My friend shouts a warning just as I jump. Too late. I couldn't stop myself. Just as I'm about to run right off the edge of the cliff, I trip over the smallest root and go flying out over the edge in the classic spread eagle. So I'm looking down at all the sharp rocks that look very much like a mangled body in my near future. Somehow, I end up flying over them and land, still spread eagle, on a bed of moss. My friend is freaking out above me while I take stock of my various bones and sundry important parts. Then I roll over and start laughing.

So I flew. I have no idea how I managed to hit that bed of moss instead of the rocks. It was about ten feet from the cliff, which I could easily do at a jump, but I didn't jump. I tripped. Plus, if I'd jumped, I woulda landed feet first, which would have ended my track career then and there. I'm either highly blessed or one lucky Son of a Midnight.

Matticus
2008-03-26, 02:17 AM
...When I was about two, I mysteriously snapped a bone in my left arm. 'bout four years ago, I slipped over on a wet hose-pipe and snapped a bone in my wrist.

It all seems so much less dramatic than flying or falling great heights.

Lyesmith
2008-03-26, 02:37 AM
I dislocated my hip once, trying to do the splits. Hurt like hell, i can tell you.

thubby
2008-03-26, 02:42 AM
I have broken my inner 3 fingers on both hands, twice (various reasons)
broke my left wrist when i tripped on a loose wire, tried to grab something, and instead ended up using the outside of my fingers for support *crack*
most relevant to you would be when i dislocated my left leg at the knee. i was snowboarding when i hit a hidden patch of ice mid turn. the board came out from under me and i went sliding face down straight out. i caught something which stopped my board but not me, i went over my legs and twisted in such a way so that the board acted as a fulcrum, moving my leg bones in ways not previously thought possible. i ended up sledding down on my board and going to the hospital. 2 doses of "morphine" (apparently im resistant) and one very muscular orderly later i was good as new. though i tore up the "padding" in my knee, it still locks up from time to time if i bend it the wrong way.

Ceska
2008-03-26, 04:07 AM
So far I've broken three metatarsal bones on my left food, four on my right, one of them twice and another one had a hairline crack.
First time was with five, broke four on my right.
Second time was with twelve. Fell from four metres just between the mats to keep me safe, three on the left, two on the right. My teacher wouldn't believe me anything was broken cause I didn't cry and let me go see the nurse myself. Went up the stairway, she didn't, either, but told me to go to the hospital anyway. Walked the way down, walked around for hours, they later told me it was obviously broken.
And I broke the right cubit once. Easter three years ago, I slept over it but then started bitching to my father the next day. It wasn't really noticeable, but still enough to not use the hand.
But the nicest was still the metatarsals on two feet. For some time I could only walk by raising myself with my arms and carrying myself that way. :smalltongue:

Don Julio Anejo
2008-03-26, 04:44 AM
I broke my kneecap in grade 10... ouch. In bed for 2 weeks after surgery, crutches for two months afterwards and it hurt like hell probably for at least 4 months.

Sensate
2008-03-26, 04:48 AM

Oh. You made it sound like it's a more subtle, methaphoric fall. :smallbiggrin:

As for myself, I only broke a thumb once, nothing more. The way I look at it, having a broken leg and being stationary for a long time has it's benefits and it's drawbacks. You won't have to go to work/school/uni, people you love will take care of you and you'll have time to endulge yourself in activities like reading, computer games, roleplaying etc. without feeling guilty because of all the spare time. The bad thing about it is that it's bound to get boring after a week or less.

banjo1985
2008-03-26, 04:50 AM
I shattered my right index finger, and broke the right wrist three times, nothing else though. I guess it's just one limb that's unlucky. :smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2008-03-26, 04:57 AM
I sprained my toe once, does that count? It did hurt a lot.

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-26, 07:23 AM
I have never broken a bone!
I got a concussion while skiing though. I kind of rolled down the hill headfirst, lost all my equipment and landed on my head about 2/3 of the way down. I'm much better at skiing now, but I still wear a helmet.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-03-26, 07:38 AM
I, too, am invulnerable to broken bones.

Trog
2008-03-26, 08:06 AM
Only bone I've broken has been one in my left hand. The bone in the hand just below the pinky finger. I hit something in anger. [/stupid :smalltongue: ]

TRM
2008-03-26, 08:45 AM
Painful stuff
Oah! Thread over. Bor wins.

I've broken (well, fractured) a tiny little bone in my left wrist. I was jumping over a tennis net when it got lifted up. Needless to say, I fell and landed hard on my wrist.
Then I had to go to the emergency room because the regular clinic was closed and was forced to wait for about an hour because urgent care trauma cases kept coming in and the [bone doctor] went to go deal with them.
Most of what I remember about the cast was that it made shuffling Magic cards incredibly difficult.:smallannoyed:

Speaking of casts: Waterproof casts anyone? They're fiberglass casts with a waterproof liner that looks like bubble wrap. I went from normal cast that went all the way up my arm to a forearm only, waterproof cast. That was awesome.

Sensate
2008-03-26, 08:56 AM
Only bone I've broken has been one in my left hand. The bone in the hand just below the pinky finger. I hit something in anger. [/stupid :smalltongue: ]

Actually, that time when I broke my thumb...I also hit something in anger. My friend's face :smalleek: .

SilverSheriff
2008-03-26, 09:00 AM
Broke the cartilage in my nose roughly 2 weeks ago, needed some bedrest to fix, still doesn't feel right though...

edit: also I've rolled my ankle twice now, tearing the ligament, took a week and half off for both of them, nothing a couple tight bandages can't fix.:annoyed:

SpiderMew
2008-03-26, 09:03 AM

I once fell 4 ft, off of a stepladder, and broke; my ankle, heal, leg, elbow, and wrist. All on my right side.
I had to spend a year in a wheelchair because the doctors set the bones wrong at first and a specalist had to recast and set them correctly. That was when they found out i had osteoperosis.

Before that I had broken the grothplate on my heel just from walking, ended up not getting to do the play that year in 7th grade.

Before that, we were doing a smaller run of A Christmas Carol, and i was going to sit down in a chair, after i was done, and my friend had pulled the chair out from under me as I was sitting down. He thought it was so funny, but it turned out i broke my tailbone. I had to take a special seat to school and take it to every class, and protect it at lunch from the bullys that wanted to take it away, that was 6th grade

Agamid
2008-03-26, 10:25 AM
I've only ever broken one bone, and it was in my toe... but when i was 9 i was diagnosed with Cancer, i must have spent at least 8 months in hospital over those 2 years and probably most of the two year in bed or on the couch...
But in the months leading up to diagnosis i had the most extreme pain in the joints in my legs. I could not support my own body weight and had to crawl (when my knees and hips weren't too bad) or be carried everywhere. Needless to say, i spent most of those months in bed or sitting after being carried somewhere.

"Funnily" enough, due to the chemo, i now have permanent damage to the joints in my ankles, knees, hips and wrists

WalkingTarget
2008-03-26, 11:02 AM
I've never broken anything. I don't even remember ever being bed-ridden by an illness for longer than say a day for the flu occasionally when I was a kid.

My best friend however...

I met him about 16 years ago. About a year later he came down with bronchopneumonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchopneumonia) and was out of school for a few weeks. A few years later, he had some lymph node problems due to cat scratch fever (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_scratch_fever) and was, again, laid up for a few weeks (including time to recover from the surgery to remove some of the infected lymph nodes).

The best (i.e. worst) part, was our last year of high-school. He rolled his ATV and broke 4 vertebrae in his neck without knowing that he had done so. The next day was our human physiology class's field trip to a chiropractic institute and he came. Three hours each way in the back of a school bus; bouncing up and down the whole time. He thought he'd just pulled something and had brought along an ice pack and we all joked about reckless behavior. When he didn't show up for school the next day people started asking me questions about where he was (I didn't know any more than they did). I tried calling his house that night, but nobody was home. Turns out he had collapsed the night after the trip and his family took him to a hospital where he was promptly strapped down and rushed to a bigger hospital. The next time I saw him he was in a halo which he was stuck in through both prom and graduation.
http://pmtcorp.com/images/halo_1233004.jpg
According to him, any itch was a pain because not only is it hard to get anything under the harness to scratch, his limited mobility made it even more difficult. His head was held in place by 4 pins screwed partway into his skull (still has scars where hair doesn't grow) and vibrations from vehicles or even just music with heavy bass parts really hurt. Sneezing or laughing were likewise painful due to the immobility (and it didn't help that one of our other friends had a tendency to laugh at his winces after a sneeze, and his laugh was stupid enough that it generally got the rest of us to laugh at him; we took to berating the laughing guy when he got these cycles started).

The kicker for all of that is that this guy is [I]totally fine now. He broke over half of the bones in his neck and is still more athletic than I'll probably ever be. He was even accepted into the Army, of all places, despite this injury in his history (either shows how amazingly lucky he was to have recovered so fully or shows how desperate the military is for recruits).

adanedhel9
2008-03-26, 11:36 AM
I broke my wrist in gym class in second grade. It was a pretty mild break; so, while it hurt, nothing looked unusual. The gym teacher told me to walk it off. She was shocked when I came in the next day with a cast. That became a bit of a running joke throughout my school days, with various classmates grossly over-exaggerating the extent of the injury that I had to "walk off".

I think I've also broken one of my foot bones. Sophmore year of university, I blindly tried to hop down off my lofted bed onto the chair below, only to miss the chair entirely and land hard on my right foot. It hurt on and off for several months, but I never bothered to have it checked out. Could've been just a bad bruise that wouldn't heal.

Telonius
2008-03-26, 12:06 PM
Never broke a bone, but I did separate my collarbone in the process of being born. Not sure if that counts as "dramatic."

Brickwall
2008-03-26, 12:35 PM
I think I've also broken one of my foot bones. Sophmore year of university, I blindly tried to hop down off my lofted bed onto the chair below, only to miss the chair entirely and land hard on my right foot. It hurt on and off for several months, but I never bothered to have it checked out. Could've been just a bad bruise that wouldn't heal.

Loft beds teach us that people value convenience over health in a totally new and exciting way.

I've had some mishaps with mine, but none even bruised me, since they were minor. I'm just waiting for the day when I get a nasty one.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-26, 02:24 PM
I've only ever broken one bone, and it was in my toe... but when i was 9 i was diagnosed with Cancer, i must have spent at least 8 months in hospital over those 2 years and probably most of the two year in bed or on the couch...
But in the months leading up to diagnosis i had the most extreme pain in the joints in my legs. I could not support my own body weight and had to crawl (when my knees and hips weren't too bad) or be carried everywhere. Needless to say, i spent most of those months in bed or sitting after being carried somewhere.

"Funnily" enough, due to the chemo, i now have permanent damage to the joints in my ankles, knees, hips and wrists

...*hugs*...:smallfrown:

Arioch
2008-03-26, 03:16 PM
The only time I ever broke a bone, it was a hairline fracture - very minor. There was however, quite a lot of flesh damage. Since I tell this story to everyone I know at least once, I may as well do so here:

It was the second day of the Easter holidays in my year 6 (not sure what this equates to in the US. I was 10, or possibly 11). I was standing just outside the front door of my friend's house, calling my sister. Somewhat unwisely, my hands were on the doorframe. The door swung shut, and the top of my finger got caught - in the hinges. The door, being a front door, then automatically locked on my finger. When the owner of the house opened it some ten seconds later, the top cm of my finger was totally crushed in. It hurt quite a lot, and didn't get sewn up for about six hours - the first hospital I went to just changed my dressing every hour or so: not pleasant when said dressing is pulling on a bit of flesh that is only held on by some skin and nerves.

There we go. Not serious in a life-threatening or even life-altering way, but very bad when you're ten, or possibly eleven. On the bright side, I spent most of that day high on nitrous oxide - great stuff. :smalltongue:

The only time I can remember not being able to walk was in the aftermath of an ankle operation last February (ie a year ago) , but the operation was a complete success - the doctor was great - and after a day or two I didn't even need painkillers. This is more notable when you consider that, for the four months or so before that, I needed painkillers to walk.