PDA

View Full Version : Presto Permanency?

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-26, 12:30 AM
Why isn't Prestidigitation in the table for Permanency? It's 0th-level, is cast on oneself, and is awesome! It would be a great spell to have on at all times, because you could show off your magical powers without wasting a spell slot. Plus you can keep your clothes clean, and change their colour if they get boring. You can also make your dinner more interesting! But, of course, needing to prepare it in a spell slot makes it not worth it :smallfrown: .

Chronos
2008-03-26, 12:38 AM
But, of course, needing to prepare it in a spell slot makes it not worth itWhat else are you going to use your 0th-level slots for? They're basically worthless for combat, especially once you have access to Permanency.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-26, 12:39 AM
My sorceror has a continuos prestidigitation effect on his clothes, and every magic item he makes, to keep them clean. It costs 500 gp to craft. It is also custom, but I doubt any DM would object to what is principly a RP only effect.

Icewalker
2008-03-26, 01:15 AM
Except that wouldn't work...prestidigitation is a one time "I do this" not a continuous effect. Permanency doesn't work, right? Now something like the aforementioned clothes that let you do it whenever would be awesome. Great for a rogue.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-26, 01:20 AM
Except that wouldn't work...prestidigitation is a one time "I do this" not a continuous effect. Permanency doesn't work, right? Now something like the aforementioned clothes that let you do it whenever would be awesome. Great for a rogue.Prestidigitation lasts an hour. I wouldn't let you permanency it, but many of the other spells I would. Permanency needed to be applied further.

tyckspoon
2008-03-26, 01:21 AM
Prestidigitation lets you do any of the limited effects it allows for an hour. It's a reasonable target for Permanency IMO, but I wouldn't want to spend 500 xp for it.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-26, 01:23 AM
Prestidigitation is an hour of being able to do prestidigitation effects, not an instant cast.

Edit- Ninja'd. X2

Kurald Galain
2008-03-26, 04:15 AM
Isn't that what Persistent Spell is for? :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-26, 05:56 AM
Or you could take Craft Wonderous items and make a continuous spell effect item. Thats the easy way around spells not covered by Permanency, abliet a tad expensive.

So, question.

If you can use it to change the flavor of food, does that mean a lot of low level wizards find work as chefs? You just take water, recolor it soup-color, and then add the flavor of whatever soup you want. Just make sure you've had really good soup at least once, so you'll know how to get the flavor right. I imagine, as it lasts an hour, they would go from kitchen to kitchen. Get jobs at six or seven inns around the city, just come in, make all their food deliciously wonderful, and then leave.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-26, 06:00 AM
Or you could take Craft Wonderous items and make a continuous spell effect item. Thats the easy way around spells not covered by Permanency, abliet a tad expensive.

So, question.

If you can use it to change the flavor of food, does that mean a lot of low level wizards find work as chefs? You just take water, recolor it soup-color, and then add the flavor of whatever soup you want. Just make sure you've had really good soup at least once, so you'll know how to get the flavor right. I imagine, as it lasts an hour, they would go from kitchen to kitchen. Get jobs at six or seven inns around the city, just come in, make all their food deliciously wonderful, and then leave.

...That would be the smart thing to do. It's not assumed by standard DnD, but it's just the sort of thing I expect in Eberron. And hey, if most actors work as waiters early on, why not? It's a genius use of a little useful spell, and one I support whole-heartedly.

Ascension
2008-03-26, 06:08 AM
It would actually make for a nice quest hook to have a chef's organization hire you to rough up the mages' guild to keep the wizards from horning in on their turf. They don't have the skills to fight/diplomance magic users, but they've got the cash to hire adventurers to do it.

JBento
2008-03-26, 06:11 AM

So, question.

It means that as much as 11th lvl Wizards retire to work as miners with Wall of Iron and 9th level Wizards retire to work as Travel Agencies with Teleport. Also, as much as any character retires at level ONE and makes a living buying 10-ft ladders and selling 10-ft poles. :smallwink:

Yes, D&D economy is wonky and poorly-thought-out. Just like Diplomacy:smallsigh:

senrath
2008-03-26, 06:29 AM
It means that as much as 11th lvl Wizards retire to work as miners with Wall of Iron and 9th level Wizards retire to work as Travel Agencies with Teleport. Also, as much as any character retires at level ONE and makes a living buying 10-ft ladders and selling 10-ft poles. :smallwink:

Yes, D&D economy is wonky and poorly-thought-out. Just like Diplomacy:smallsigh:

Only problem with that last one is that you actually have to find people who want to buy the 10-ft pole. I'd imagine it's not exactly a big market.

Ascension
2008-03-26, 06:30 AM
You sell the 10 foot poles to other adventurers, then snicker about it!

That being said, the classic 10 ft ladder = 10 ft pole x 2 thing really doesn't work, because the resulting poles would have holes in them...

JBento
2008-03-26, 06:30 AM
Why, you sell them to the people who make the 10-ft ladders, of course:smallbiggrin:

Aquillion
2008-03-26, 11:15 AM
Why, you sell them to the people who make the 10-ft ladders, of course:smallbiggrin:Those are the really confusing ones. How do they ever turn a profit?

Keld Denar
2008-03-26, 11:26 AM
Those are the really confusing ones. How do they ever turn a profit?

Wholesale operation with a price for membership....

Chronos
2008-03-26, 11:42 AM
They make it up on volume, of course.

streakster
2008-03-26, 11:48 AM
How would the poles have holes? They'd have little snapped of rung-pieces, sure...

Mewtarthio
2008-03-26, 11:53 AM

Unfortunately, the end result might be delicious, but it would have the texture, consistency, and nutritional value of flavored water.

Burley
2008-03-26, 12:24 PM
How would the poles have holes? They'd have little snapped of rung-pieces, sure...
There is really no problem with 10ft poles having holes. What do we use them for? Setting off traps and...um...stilts? Who cares if there are holes if it's gonna get blown up anyways, and the holes would be more helpful for the stilts!
Just make sure you sell the 2 10ft poles slightly cheaper than book value, or all the adventurers are gonna be running to the PHBEmporium instead of running to you.

Aquillion
2008-03-26, 12:53 PM
Unfortunately, the end result might be delicious, but it would have the texture, consistency, and nutritional value of flavored water.They could still take a huge, cheap vat of bean soup and make it the greatest gourmet soup you ever tasted, though.

Chronos
2008-03-26, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately, the end result might be delicious, but it would have the texture, consistency, and nutritional value of flavored water.The nutritional value might even be an advantage: Prestidigitation would make it a lot easier to stay on a diet.