PDA

View Full Version : Soul Nomad Races

Ghal Marak
2008-03-26, 02:05 PM
Here's the line up-

((Oh, and a side note. I don't have a lot of the descriptions done, so what some of them actualy look like may be unclear. I'm working on that, but I'm not a very talented writer, so don't expect much of me in that reguard. Oh, and ignore my other posts, as these will be the most up to date.))

Sepp - The Sepp are an energetic race, possessing a burning drive to excel at whatever task they take on. The Sepp are almost human in appearance, the only differences being that they posses small horns and cloven hooves instead of feet. Whilst the Sepp are indeed energetic, they tend to act without thinking, and thereby are renowned for acting foolishly in tense situations.

· +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom.
· Humanoid (Sepp).
· Medium: As Medium creatures, sepps have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Sepp base land speed is 40 feet.
· Low-Light Vision: A sepp can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
· Combat Affinity: A sepp chooses either Martial Weapon Proficiency (Long Sword) or Improved Unarmed Strike. If she already has MWP with the long sword, then they receive Weapon Focus (Long Sword) instead.
· Fast Runner: Sepps automaticaly gain Run as a bonus feat.
· Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Sylvan.
· Favored Class: Fighter.
· Level Adjustment: +0.

Redflanks - The Redflanks are distant kin to the Sepp, which long ago were actually a single race. Redflanks are strong and hardy individuals, brave and courageous one and all. While similar in appearance to Minotaur, Redflanks resent being compared to such beasts. They proclaim that they are as closely related to Minotaur as a Human is to an Orc. They have curved horns that usually measure up to twelve inches, though other lengths are not unusual. In addition to cleft hooves, they have a tail tipped with a knot of hair. The tail length is usually around a foot long.

· +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity.
· Humanoid (Redflank).
· Medium: As Medium creatures, sepps have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Redflank base land speed is 30 feet.
· Natural Weapon: Redflanks can Gore with their horns dealing 1d8 piercing damage.
· Powerful Build: The physical stature of the Redflanks lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. (See Half-Giant)
· Natural Armor 2
· Automatic Languages: Common.
· Favored Class: Fighter
· Level Adjustment: +1

Nereids – An ancient and all female race, Nereids are heavily dependant upon human males for reproductive purposes, a trait that isn’t well received by human females. Because of this reliance, Nereid populations are almost always in low numbers. In appearance, a Nereid is similar to a petite human female. Their skin is so pale it borders on blue. Their fingers and toes are webbed for swimming, and they can take water into their lungs as easily as air.

· +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
· Humanoid (Nereid).
· Medium: As Medium creatures, Nereid have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Nereid base land speed is 25 feet. Nereid base swim speed is 30 feet. Nereid have a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. They can choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. Nereid can use the run action while swimming, provided they swim in a straight line.
· Amphibious (Ex): Nereids can breathe water or air equally well, without limitation.

Werewin – The Werewin are a race of winged people, with a long female warrior tradition. The men of the race almost exclusively stay home and defend the children while the females are the ones to go on the offensive.

· +2 Strength
· Humanoid (Whirwin)
· Medium: As Medium creatures, Werewin have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Base land speed is 30 ft
· Gliding (Ex): A Werewin can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Werewins glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a Werewin’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding. A Werewin can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
· Flight (Ex): When a Werewin reaches 5 Hit Dice; she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A Werewin can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Werewin can fly safely for a number of rounds equal to their Strength modifier (min 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Werewins are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flaying. Because Werewins can glide, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dive, Werewin have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Werewin with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
· Weapon Familiarity: Werewin can use the Heavy Poleaxe, Mancatcher, and Greatspear as Martial weapons rather than Exotic weapons.
· Armor Limitation: Werewin can only wear armor modified to allow their wings through, which could cost up to 100gp extra when purchasing.
· Automatic Languages: Common, Werewin
· Level Adjustment: +0

Angel – Despite the name, these little people are not from heaven.

· Humanoid (Cherub)
· Small: As a Small creature, a rock gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
· Base Land Speed is 20 feet.
· Gliding (Ex): A Angel can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Angel glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a Angel’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding. A Angel can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
· Flight (Ex): When a Angel reaches 5 Hit Dice; she becomes able to fly at a speed of 30 feet (poor maneuverability). An Angel can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Angel can fly safely for a number of rounds equal to their Strength modifier (min 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Angel is likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flaying. Because Angel can glide, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dive, Angels have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. An Angel with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
· Weapon Familiarity: Angels treat the Hand, Repeating Light and Repeating Heavy crossbows as Martial Weapons rather than exotic.
· Bow proficiency: Angels get a +2 bonus on all attack rolls with all Bows and Crossbows
· Armor Limitation: Angels can only wear armor modified to allow their wings through, which could cost up to 100gp extra when purchasing.
· Favored Class: Ranger
· Level Adjustment: +0

Dracon – They are a race of magical people. They have small branch like horns, and have an affinity to electricity. I still don't know everything about them.

· +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution
· Humanoid (Dracon)
· Medium: As Medium creatures, Dracon have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Dracon base land speed is 30 feet.
· Lightning Affinity: Dracon cast Electrical spells at +2 caster level.
· Favored Class: Wizard

Ghal Marak
2008-04-11, 12:44 AM
...Well, not a whole lot of intrest while I was gone. Regardless, I'll continue to persevere.

Here's the Sepp:

+2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom
Humanoid (Sepp)
Medium: As Medium creatures, sepps have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Sepp base land speed is 40 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A sepp can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Bonus Weapon Feat: At first level, choose either Martial Weapon Proficiency (Long Sword) or Improved Unarmed Strike. If they already has MWP with the long sword, then they receive Weapon Focus (Long Sword) instead.
Fast Runner: Sepps automaticaly gain Run as a bonus feat.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Sylvan.
Favored Class: Fighter.
Level Adjustment: +0

It looks alright to me. Though the word usage is a bit poor. I couldn't think of a better way to spell out what I wanted from the Bonus Weapon Feat. I'll fiddle around with it later, after I get the others up.

Anyway, back on topic, how does the Sepp balance as a race? Good, Poor, Overpowered?

jagadaishio
2008-04-11, 03:42 PM
Looks balanced to me. How do the female-only races reproduce, though?

Behold_the_Void
2008-04-11, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't say Sepps are necessarily unintelligent, a lot of that is Gig being racist and whatsherface having major psychological issues. Wisdom might be appropriate, they seem to be more headstrong, but as a whole the race isn't well represented, especially with the revelations of the late game so it's hard to judge.

Dracon are probably +2 int or cha and -2 con if you're trying to make them LA +0, they're fragile buggers but good mages.

Redflanks are probably LA +1 with +2 strength and con and powerful build.

Nerieds by D&D standards are probably something like +2 dex -2 cha for their standoffishness (or if you want to be a bit more Nippon Ichi about it, because they can't have large breasts in order to swim quickly).

Whirwins can probably be ganked from Raptoran. Not so sure what I'd do with the Cherubs, you encounter and eventually recruit them but you don't see much on their history. I'd maybe suggest take some of the machinist bent from the Gnome/Dwarves, since all Cherubs use guns. Probably small with -2 strength +2 dex.

Ghal Marak
2008-04-11, 08:53 PM
Looks balanced to me. How do the female-only races reproduce, though?

Well, for the Nerieds they use the human males for their... purposes. And, now that I think about it, the Whirwins have males. They just stay home, and the females are the ones to go out and fight.

I wouldn't say Sepps are necessarily unintelligent, a lot of that is Gig being racist and whatsherface having major psychological issues. Wisdom might be appropriate, they seem to be more headstrong, but as a whole the race isn't well represented, especially with the revelations of the late game so it's hard to judge.

Dracon are probably +2 int or cha and -2 con if you're trying to make them LA +0, they're fragile buggers but good mages.

Redflanks are probably LA +1 with +2 strength and con and powerful build.

Nerieds by D&D standards are probably something like +2 dex -2 cha for their standoffishness (or if you want to be a bit more Nippon Ichi about it, because they can't have large breasts in order to swim quickly).

Whirwins can probably be ganked from Raptoran. Not so sure what I'd do with the Cherubs, you encounter and eventually recruit them but you don't see much on their history. I'd maybe suggest take some of the machinist bent from the Gnome/Dwarves, since all Cherubs use guns. Probably small with -2 strength +2 dex.

That is true. Okay, so -2 Wisdom instead of Intelligence. And I agree with you on the Nerieds. I can probably pull some stuff from the aquatic races to assemble that on.

Hmm... Raptorans? I've heard of them before, but I've never seen their mechanics. Can you give me a link or pm it to me or something?

Now about the Cherubs... definately small. -2 strength +2 dex does sound good. I guess add in the same flight speed as the Raptorans? Or a little less. Depends on how much speed they have.

On the Redflanks... well... here's what I had.

· +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity.
· Humanoid (Redflank).
· Natural Weapon: Redflanks can Gore with their horns dealing 1d8 piercing damage.
· Weapon Proficiency: A Redflank recieves Martial Weapon Proficiency ( ) as a bonus Feat.
· Level Adjustment: +?.

I could cut out the Weapon Proficiency in favor of Powerful build and switch the +2 Wisdom to Constitution. That would make it LA +1 right?

EDIT: Now that I actualy do some research, Monstrous Humanoid is probably not the correct type. I'll change it to Humanoid.

Behold_the_Void
2008-04-12, 12:26 AM
I don't see any particular reason to give them a Wisdom bonus, switch that for con. The proficiency can be switched for Powerful Build as well.

You'll want to look at the Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) for an idea of how many and the kind of abilities they need to make them LA +1. Less on the special powers stuff though and more on combat or strength-based stuff.

Regarding the Raptoran, they're out of Races of the Wild, I don't have their exact stats so I can't give a full outlook on them but someone else may be able to help you out.

Ghal Marak
2008-04-12, 02:38 PM
Too bad. I've only seen Races of the Wild once, and I didn't have the money to buy it then. I might just have to break down and order it through Books-A-Million or something. *shrug* It's no biggy.

So anyway, here'swat the new Redflank looks like.

· Humanoid (Redflank).
· Medium: As Medium creatures, Redflank have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Powerful Build: The physical stature of the Redflanks lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. (See Half-Giant)

There needs to be a bit more. Perhaps throw in Endurance as a free feat? Or maybe Toughness (or both Endurance and Toughness)? Maybe a Natural Armor 1 or something.

EDIT: I might as well throw in the Dracon now.

· +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution
· Humanoid (Dracon)
· Medium: As Medium creatures, Dracon have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Dracon base land speed is 30 feet.
· Lightning Affinity: Dracon cast Electrical spells at +1 caster level.
· Favored Class: Wizard

How does it look?

Behold_the_Void
2008-04-12, 08:04 PM
Too bad. I've only seen Races of the Wild once, and I didn't have the money to buy it then. I might just have to break down and order it through Books-A-Million or something. *shrug* It's no biggy.

So anyway, here'swat the new Redflank looks like.

· Humanoid (Redflank).
· Medium: As Medium creatures, Redflank have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

There needs to be a bit more. Perhaps throw in Endurance as a free feat? Or maybe Toughness (or both Endurance and Toughness)? Maybe a Natural Armor 1 or something.

Give them some Natural armor or something, Toughness isn't necessary as they already have +2 con.

Ghal Marak
2008-04-12, 08:07 PM
Alright then. Natural Armor 2 it is. By the way, don't miss the Dracon up there.

Behold_the_Void
2008-04-12, 10:39 PM
Dracon seems a bit right, by pure racial abilities what they have seems like plenty, but a few bonus cantrips or something a la Gnome might not hurt to give it a bit more fleshing out.

Ghal Marak
2008-04-13, 10:48 PM
Hmm... Perhaps something like Shocking Grasp, Flare and Light 1/day. Or perhaps change out Flare for Dancing Lights.

Ghal Marak
2008-04-15, 05:58 PM
Alright, here's the Nereids.

· +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
· Humanoid (Aquatic).
· Medium: As Medium creatures, Nereid have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Nereid base land speed is 25 feet. Nereid base swim speed is 30 feet. Nereid have a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. They can choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. Nereid can use the run action while swimming, provided they swim in a straight line.
· Amphibious (Ex): Nereids can breathe water or air equally well, without limitation.

Ghal Marak
2009-03-04, 11:20 PM
Well, I finaly got these done! Yay! So, what is the final verdict? I know a few of them have already been debated and are pretty ballenced, but the last few I'm not so sure about. Both the Werewin and the Angels have flight based on the Raptorian mechanics, and since their other perks are not as power full as the Raptorians I left them at LA +0. Is that too powerful, considering what I gave them? Also, the Dracon's Lighting affinity was boosted to +2 to caster level of eletrical spells. Is that too much? I just couldn't think of anything better to give them that fit.

Anyway, final thoughts?