PDA

View Full Version : Help out another dm?

MrGoodCat
2008-03-26, 02:12 PM
I am new to the forums and I saw how well you guys helped out another DM. I am in the same boat as Fitz with three major exams and two 10 page research reports. I have a game on friday to run and I am afraid I will not have enough time to write up a good boss battle. If you guys could work your magic again I would really appreciate it.

They are making there way through a ancient drow stronghold. I would like the end fight to be with some kind of powerful arcane caster, undead if possible. He can have whatever beasties or henchman he needs to help him but I don't have that much planned out. The party is fighter-type heavy with divine and limited arcane casting. There are 6 level 7 characters. I wanted to make this doable but very difficult. The campaign is home-brewed but has major influences from Eberron and Forgotten Realms. Core , complete, FR books, Eberron books, BoVD, and BoED are useable.

Thanks

droyer
2008-03-26, 02:42 PM
Well, I only have the core books but if you want an actual evil undead you pretty much have to choose a lich since they're the only ones with a free will that I know of.

MrGoodCat
2008-03-26, 03:43 PM
Its doesn't really have to be undead. If I can't find a good undead caster, a normal one will do. I just want to throw a good caster at them. Lich is a good idea but I have plans for a lich later in the game and don't want to use it twice. Thanks though.

Keld Denar
2008-03-26, 03:44 PM
Make him a necropolitan (Libris Mortis: Book of Bad Latin). Basically, its a +0 adjustment you can throw on something that gives it undead traits (see undead subtype in the back of the MM) for a little gold, some exp, and what I hear is a VERY uncomforable deadification process. So...just take your average CR9ish Drow Wizard (Wiz9 or Wiz7/Fatespinner2 :P), give him a handful of CR 2-3 drow/orc/goblin/ogre zombies/skeletons and get er done. The undeaders buy the Drow a couple rounds to set up some good crowd control (Evards!) and get cookin on the PCs.

For a great time, drop a couple Ghoul Glyphs on the ground around the room. The Drow and his undeaders are all immune to the effects of the glyph by virtue of undeadiness, and the glyphs will disable a couple of the PCs and inconvience the rest.

For even more fun, have the Drow's throne be infused with negative energy. Make it deal negative energy damage or inflict negative levels (as Enervation) on anyone who touches it. That way, the Drow can touch it for heals, and any PCs who get cocky and sit on it after the fight is won still might bite it. That'll teach 'em!

Solo
2008-03-26, 03:46 PM
You may want to use a sorcerer for this.

And as long as you are using a sorcerer, may I suggest you get advice on the build from Solo's Stupendously Superior Sorcerer STratagems, linked to below?

Keld Denar
2008-03-26, 03:53 PM
{Shameless Plug}

Oh come on, you aren't even trying!

Solo
2008-03-26, 03:56 PM
Oh come on, you aren't even trying!

I have a lot of Awesome accumulated in me.

I'm literally so full of it that I don't need to try anymore :smallamused:

droyer
2008-03-26, 04:32 PM
You could take a level 10 Drow sorcerer/wizard/what ever you want and ad some low-level commoners that are being dominated so they have to avoid hurting them as well.

Person_Man
2008-03-26, 04:37 PM
Free Complete Modules (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b).

Maps (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/mw).

Big List of RPG Plots. (http://www.io.com/%7Esjohn/plots.htm)

Also, more recent Monster Manuals and environmental expansions tend to be chock full of encounters that can be dropped into any campaign.

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-26, 05:00 PM
Just a general piece of advice; don't make the boss fight alone. I learned that in my first game, where I had a solo cleric 5 against 6 first level characters. He stayed tripped the entire fight and got, like, two spells off. I suggest a sorcerer 8 or 9 with two to three fighter/ranger/barbarian 6-7 mooks, depending on how optimized your party is.

Reel On, Love
2008-03-26, 05:04 PM
You have to be careful when throwing an arcanist at a fighter-heavy party. A single Confusion and it can be a near-TPK.

A bunch of melee minions with the caster playing buffer/debuffer should make for a challenging fight.

A Vampire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) willl up the CR without upping casting, and the vampire's dominated minions make for good servants. Actually, a Vampire Spawn would have much the same effect, but leave the possibility of a master vampire out there. The Hide/Move Silently bonuses, especially if you cross-class the skills, will help keep the caster safe.

Solo
2008-03-26, 05:05 PM
You have to be careful when throwing an arcanist at a fighter-heavy party. A single Confusion and it can be a near-TPK.

You could opt for direct damage,battlefield control, debuffs, defensive measures, and buffing minions.

Save or X spells can ruin a climactic encounter pretty quickly.