PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial 4ed Demo

Morty
2008-03-26, 04:42 PM
Well, I was browsing another RPG portal and I stumbled upon this (http://www.ucalgary.ca/~amwhit/PHB_4E_Lite_v1_2.pdf), which is claimed to be an unofficial 4ed demo that allows you to create you own 1st level character. I'm currently reading through it, and I hope it wasn't posted anywhere yet. Generally, it looks like it's been pasted together from various materials WoTC put up here and there. So despite my early enthusiasm, only few new things here.

SpikeFightwicky
2008-03-26, 04:57 PM
Nice find! I don't have access to the WOTC site during the day, and this helps immensely to put everything into one place. Thanks for the link!

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-27, 06:19 AM
Yeah, that's the PHB Lite that was by ENWorlders; I think someone posted a link to it a few days ago here.

There is also a monsters compilation and a few fan made modules based on the info available.

I'm using it for a demo game or two to show my D&D group what it's all about.

RTGoodman
2008-03-27, 07:46 AM
Here's a quick question - when was the Halfling bonus on saves vs. fear revealed. I like it (and its very Kender-esque), but I hadn't seen that anywhere besides the "PHB Lite" posted earlier.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-27, 07:57 AM
Here's a quick question - when was the Halfling bonus on saves vs. fear revealed. I like it (and its very Kender-esque), but I hadn't seen that anywhere besides the "PHB Lite" posted earlier.

I believe it was revealed at D&DXP.

AKA_Bait
2008-03-27, 08:58 AM
There is also a monsters compilation and a few fan made modules based on the info available.

Could you link those please?

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-27, 09:07 AM
Monster compilation (http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/Monsters%20&%20More%20(4th%20Edition).pdf)

Modules:
Raiders of Oakhurst (Olgar Shiverstone et al) http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=220317
Second Son (Mike Shea et al) http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=220473
Return of the Burning Plague (Chris Nightwing et al) http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=220679

AKA_Bait
2008-03-27, 09:09 AM
Thanks! These should be an interesting lunch break read.

kamikasei
2008-03-27, 09:12 AM
This is fascinating. I'm just glancing over it so far to see what it says on questions I'd had. Is it implied that a Wizard's cantrips are all available as at-will powers all at once? That's pretty sweet.

I'm very much liking features like "if you use light armour or less, you can add either Dex or Int" and the ability to choose between different abilities adding to defences. Apparently Wizards are now absurdly SAD...

AKA_Bait
2008-03-27, 09:18 AM
Apparently Wizards are now absurdly SAD...

Weren't they always? Spending year after year shuttered away from the world with no friends but the long dead authors of the musty tomes they must study. So lonely, so lonely.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Morty
2008-03-27, 09:41 AM
Apparently Wizards are now absurdly SAD...

Not necesarrily. Remember that what we see here is just what the authors of this documents put together from WoTC materials. For all we know, there might be some wizard class features or spells that require other mental stats.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-27, 09:47 AM
Not necesarrily. Remember that what we see here is just what the authors of this documents put together from WoTC materials. For all we know, there might be some wizard class features or spells that require other mental stats.

Absolutely; let us not forget the much maligned Golden Wyvern Adept feat which allows you to omit a number of squares of an area spell up to your WIS mod.

Also, assuming Wizards have a somewhat limited skill selection as they do in 3e, they may need those extra stats to get boosts to their untrained skills. From what we have seen the skill monkey is dead and everyone is the skill monkey.

Spiryt
2008-03-27, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=kamikasei;4110783]
I'm very much liking features like "if you use light armour or less, you can add either Dex or Int" and the ability to choose between different abilities adding to defences. /QUOTE]

This bothers me. While I generally rally like the fact that intelligence finally can have some use in combat, and I usually tend to play light armored guys (ranger), I don't know, why the hell you can't use Int with heavy armor too.

It would be even more logical - with plate armor you don't dodge blows so much, you rather take them in the place's where they won't do any harm, keep joints of armor away from opponent, keep enemy with pick away, and enemy with halberd close.

And generally they simplified armor a lot. Few characters were ever using medium armors, indeed, but i think that they've gone too far. At least I hope that they will be more types of armors, both light and heavy.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-27, 10:18 AM
I think we are going to see higher end powers for Defenders that include increasing their AC bonus from Armor. I also think that Heavy Armors are going to be significantly greater than their light friends. (well that's already obvious from the PHB-lite; the weakest heavy armor is twice as much armor as the best light armor)

I think the decision to not allow Dex/Int for Heavy is a balance one. Since they eliminated ASF, it would be too abusive to have the Wizard in Full-Plate with a better AC than the Fighter in Full-Plate. As I said above, I think we are going to see replacement bonuses for characters that are "supposed" to use heavy armor.

Swordguy
2008-03-27, 10:54 AM
It's looking like at most ANYONE is going to need 2 high attributes (prime stat stat+con), though I think the paladin needs 3 (Str+Cha+Con). But, yeah, most people only need one.

A always, I'm liking some things I'm seeing (pg. 33: You fall in lava, you die. No save. WHOO!), disliking others (the move away from "real-world" armors - no 1/2-plate, studded leather, or chain shirts now), and am ambivalent about the rest. Same as any other gaming system.

kamikasei
2008-03-27, 11:01 AM
(pg. 33: You fall in lava, you die. No save. WHOO!)

ZOMG 4e IS BECOMING MARIO

Morty
2008-03-27, 11:35 AM
It's looking like at most ANYONE is going to need 2 high attributes (prime stat stat+con), though I think the paladin needs 3 (Str+Cha+Con). But, yeah, most people only need one.

Rogue have three listed key abilities, so given WoTC's trend to streamline and standardise classes, it's possible that all of them will have three "key abilites" that most of their exploits/prayers/spells depend on.

Triaxx
2008-03-27, 02:19 PM
It's like 4e is on Coccaine, Extasy, and Meth all at once. And then it took stupid pills on top of it. I think I'll stick with 3.5 instead.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-27, 02:40 PM
It's like 4e is on Coccaine, Extasy, and Meth all at once. And then it took stupid pills on top of it. I think I'll stick with 3.5 instead.

Quite the in-depth analysis there. Why not just have posted "4e sucks! 3e rules!11" instead and been done with it?

Dragonmuncher
2008-03-27, 03:34 PM
I'm confused about this Ranger power:

Careful Attack Ranger Attack 1
You study the enemy, looking for a gap in his
defenses. Only when you find it do you strike.
At-Will ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: ranged or melee vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] damage.

How is this any different from a normal, basic attack? Standard Action, targets AC, does 1W damage (W is the new abbreviation for weapon damage. 2W is twice the weapon's base damage, and so forth).

So... yeah. Am I missing something?

Ascension
2008-03-27, 03:38 PM
From what we have seen the skill monkey is dead and everyone is the skill monkey.

This kinda makes me sad, really. I mean, sure, 2 + INT is absurdly low, and fighters needed more class skills, but... I like skill monkeys.

If we're going to give everyone skills, then we should give everyone magic! And turning! And armor and weapon proficiencies! Heck, forget using different classes, we should ALL play factotums! ALL of us!

...seriously, though, the all-factotum team would be kinda cool. And you'd only need one feat. For everyone. Font of inspiration x infinity. It'd simplify the game immensely. And since crunch doesn't depend at all on fluff, you could just have your factotums specialize slightly and flavor themselves as clerics or wizards or rogues or what-have-you. It'd be awesome![/stealth hyperbole]

Starbuck_II
2008-03-27, 04:11 PM
I'm confused about this Ranger power:

How is this any different from a normal, basic attack? Standard Action, targets AC, does 1W damage (W is the new abbreviation for weapon damage. 2W is twice the weapon's base damage, and so forth).

So... yeah. Am I missing something?

It falsely forget to list the inherent +4 to hit.

The Pregen character Ranger gets +4 to hit over his basic attack. I believe the Demo guide maker believed they would errata that +4 out so he took it out now himself.

Gorbash
2008-03-27, 05:05 PM
Well, this demo has actually changed my mind about 4ed... Before I thought it was utter crap, and now I'm intrigued to see the changes. So, now I'm not sure will I play it even. I still think it's apsurd to have stupid core classes like Warlord (I woke up one day and decided I'm gonna be a... Warlord? It just doesn't fit. Why do prestige classes even exist then), and the fluff changing is blasphemy (Nine Hells 'sank' into Elemental Chaos. What the devil?)... Did they change the way actions are in 4ed? I didn't run into anything describing move and standard actions... And what is with wizards - how do spells work? All I see is some rather weak spells as daily uses of 'powers'...

Starbuck_II
2008-03-27, 05:25 PM
Well, this demo has actually changed my mind about 4ed... Before I thought it was utter crap, and now I'm intrigued to see the changes. So, now I'm not sure will I play it even. I still think it's apsurd to have stupid core classes like Warlord (I woke up one day and decided I'm gonna be a... Warlord? It just doesn't fit. Why do prestige classes even exist then), and the fluff changing is blasphemy (Nine Hells 'sank' into Elemental Chaos. What the devil?)...

Did they change the way actions are in 4ed? I didn't run into anything describing move and standard actions... And what is with wizards - how do spells work? All I see is some rather weak spells as daily uses of 'powers'...

You have 3 basic actions every turn:
Minor, Move, and Standard. Similar to Saga.

Wizards use same mechanics as everyone else except 1. They get more than 1 daily at 1st, but have to choose after they rest which they prepare.

Example Wizard has sleep or Acid Arrow:
Sleep: if
it hits: makes them slowed (movement lowered to 10 feet) until make save and at end of turn they roll save as normal for the secondary effect, if they do not make their save against the secondary, they are unconscious.
Unconscious =auto hit/critical in melee. So easy killing. Still slowed... but I doubt that matters

If Miss: slowed till make save.

Pro: They are slowed no matter what. Standard action to cast, no HD limit.
Cons: They have to fail save to be unconscious, so it affects them the turn after at least. 1/day use.

Acid Arrow: If
Hit: 2d8+5 damage + ongoing damage =5 (they get a save at end to not take more each round). Plus a secondary target (s). Since you take the ongoing before a save, actual damage = 2d8+10.
Secondaries: 1d8+5 with ongoing 5 also.

Miss: 1/2 damage that hit would deal, ongoing 2 (save end).

Pro: area damage if hit primary plus ongoing damage. Even if miss deal damage over time.
Con: one target hit if miss primary, not AoE anymore. Only have 1/day use.

AslanCross
2008-03-27, 05:27 PM
Well, this demo has actually changed my mind about 4ed... Before I thought it was utter crap, and now I'm intrigued to see the changes. So, now I'm not sure will I play it even. I still think it's apsurd to have stupid core classes like Warlord (I woke up one day and decided I'm gonna be a... Warlord? It just doesn't fit. Why do prestige classes even exist then), and the fluff changing is blasphemy (Nine Hells 'sank' into Elemental Chaos. What the devil?)... Did they change the way actions are in 4ed? I didn't run into anything describing move and standard actions... And what is with wizards - how do spells work? All I see is some rather weak spells as daily uses of 'powers'...

1. There are no prestige classes in 4e. (Though yeah, I'd have preferred Marshal, since that's what the Warlord is based on.)

2. The Nine Hells are in the Astral Sea. The Abyss is what sank into the Elemental Chaos.

3. Actions work pretty much the same. Full-round actions, standard actions, move actions, minor actions, and free actions. And the spells aren't complete, these were only taken from the pregenerated characters that were used in D&D Experience. Cantrips are at will, while there are some spells that can be used per encounter and others per day.

Reel On, Love
2008-03-27, 05:45 PM

Wizard powers are "spells". Wizard daily powers are no weaker or stronger than anyone else's daily powers.

"Warlord" is what the class is called. The character might consider himself a "warrior", a graduate of a military academy, a tactician, etc. I don't see how waking up and wanting to be a Warlord is any different from waking up and wanting to be a Paladin or a Wizard or a Ranger or a Marshal.

Why is the fluff-change blasphemy? A lot of the fluff sucked.

Verys Arkon
2008-03-27, 06:04 PM
It falsely forget to list the inherent +4 to hit.

The Pregen character Ranger gets +4 to hit over his basic attack. I believe the Demo guide maker believed they would errata that +4 out so he took it out now himself.

I'll actually be adding the +4 to attack back in the next revision (1.3). The errata should have been to remove only the +4 damage (from dexterity), but keep the +4 to hit.

Keep an eye on this thread (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221806&page=1&pp=30) for the most up to date version. I'm taking errata and suggestions there to improve the document.

Cheers,
Verys Arkon,
compiler of the 4E PHB Lite

Gorbash
2008-03-27, 06:08 PM
Wizards use same mechanics as everyone else except 1. They get more than 1 daily at 1st, but have to choose after they rest which they prepare.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that mean that preparing spells stays much the same?

There are no prestige classes in 4e.

Ouch. This will hurt.

"Warlord" is what the class is called. The character might consider himself a "warrior", a graduate of a military academy, a tactician, etc. I don't see how waking up and wanting to be a Warlord is any different from waking up and wanting to be a Paladin or a Wizard or a Ranger or a Marshal.

I mislike most of core classes other than those from PHB (except for Scout, Warlock and some others). I just don't see how can anyone become a Marshal/Warlord/Whatever-mixed-class-they-made-up (hexblade or some such) at first level. That's why there are prestige classes, it kinda ruins their point if you can take it at first level.

Why is the fluff-change blasphemy? A lot of the fluff sucked.

Because, suddenly, there are no planes in Faerun just some alternate dimensions called Feywild and whatsnot. And suddenly, Tieflings aren't descendants of Demons/Devils but some ancient race that made a deal with demons. Suddenly, Faerun is Faerun only in name and characters they don't want to kill because they earn money off of them!

Spiryt
2008-03-27, 06:17 PM
Because, suddenly, there are no planes in Faerun just some alternate dimensions called Feywild and whatsnot. And suddenly, Tieflings aren't descendants of Demons/Devils but some ancient race that made a deal with demons. Suddenly, Faerun is Faerun only in name and characters they don't want to kill because they earn money off of them!

Yes, the fall of the planes is sad thing. The Great Wheel was... well great. Now we got some standard, boring stuff. Why?

Reel On, Love
2008-03-27, 06:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that mean that preparing spells stays much the same?
The Daily ones, more or less. There are fewer spells; noncombat spells are largely in the realm of Rituals, which take a bit more time/quiet.

Ouch. This will hurt.
Why?
4E now has "Paragon paths", which characters take simultaneously with their class progression. Every character picks one; you might be a Wizard/Spellstorm Mage or Fighter/Iron Vanguard once you hit 11th.

As a bonus, these just have to be balanced against each other, not against various class abilities.

I mislike most of core classes other than those from PHB (except for Scout, Warlock and some others). I just don't see how can anyone become a Marshal/Warlord/Whatever-mixed-class-they-made-up (hexblade or some such) at first level. That's why there are prestige classes, it kinda ruins their point if you can take it at first level.
Like the PHB is better? Why can you be a Paladin at first level (when you can barely fight orcs), rather than it being a fighter/cleric prestige class? Why can you be a Druid at first level?
I'm not sure how it "ruins the point" of a Marshal if you can be one from first level. A class is a set of abilities; a low-level Marshal has much fewer than a high-level one, just like a low-level Fighter is worse than a high-level one.

Faerun is having a Spellplague to explain some of the changes. The cosmology may be changing somewhat, but is unlikely to change much. It's a campaign setting--what you're looking at is the default cosmology. It won't apply to Faerun any more than it will to Eberron.

Faerun is changing somewhat, but not entirely. It's changed before and it will again. The 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting/Player's Guide will tell us how exactly things work, but you can bet that, say, Faerunian tieflings will still be demonic descendants rather than being eliminated and replaced with the new racial fluff.

Triaxx
2008-03-27, 07:49 PM
Quite the in-depth analysis there. Why not just have posted "4e sucks! 3e rules!11" instead and been done with it?

Sorry, bit of a knee jerk reaction. I know it's not complete, and not in 'wizards' format, but for example, the Paladin trades Smite Evil, for Divine Strength. The wizard keeps Magic Missile, but it's castrated. It had been a spell that was always useful, because it scaled up, and could hit multiple targets. It does more damage to start, but I have yet to see it scaling at all.

Some of the things are obvious stuff, such as XP for non combat related things, like traps, but it's nice to see examples of it, instead of forcing us to break out calculators.

I admit being wrong, but I still think I'll stick with 3.5.