PDA

View Full Version : The Long Road Ahead

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-26, 05:10 PM
The Long Road Ahead: An epic tale of adventure, tragedy, and much Tabletop Game Trope use, in it's many varieties

((The place to place the IC posts for The Long Road Ahead in. Now, let's get started.))

You all meet at an inn...

Though perhaps that's an understatement. You have taken residence in Leonard Pershing's Luxury Hotel, located in the great city of Inneskillen, an inn whose motto is "The Heaven's accomodations pale in comparison to our rooms!". A motto is honors, at that. 8 stories tall, with a tavern filled with the best beverages in the Prime Material Plane as it's first floor, it is considered the standard with which all other inns are measured with.

And it is precisely in that floor where this queer tale starts. It is a calm evening at Pershing's, the end of a (For anyone who is not an adventurer, that is. Those people always seem to have hard days, but it's one of the cons of the fast road to riches and power.) calm day. Everyone is enjoying a first class meal with a drink of the same quality, when the doors burst open, and a figure clad in black robes, it's face concealed by a big hood, enters the tavern running.

Everyone rolls eyes. Adventurers. They just have to make a clichéd, impressive-except-not entrance every time they want to have a drink, right?

Not noticing the exasperated look most of the patrons have beared, the figure stands tall, at about eight feet. With a shrill voice and an ear splitting scream, it says:

-If anyone is up to the challenge of it, bring this mighty artifact to the temple of the Thousand Wards! It must be returned to it's rightful place, and I have grown too weak to carry this burden!

After a few seconds of silence, it also adds:

-Enormous piles of gold and great power will be awarded to whoever brings it back to the temple, too!

And with that, the robed figure twirls around and vanishes, leaving what seems to be a truncated cone shaped parchment, which proceeds to slowly float down to the ground.

The Hotel's patrons continue to sip their drinks and eat their meals.

And this is how the adventure starts. I give you carte blanche on deciding how your characters got here, what have they been doing right now, earlier this day, or even a few weeks ago if you want to, and how they react to the appearance of the hooded figure. A more thorough description of the hotel may be provided if you want one.

Now, let the posting start.

Solo
2008-03-26, 05:21 PM
(Sabiel as the local bar wench, who uses Prestidigitation to improve the flavor of the drinks and the food?)

That was, ahem, interesting... Here's your wine, sir and my eyes are up here, if you'll be so kind as to notice.

She finished serving the man his drink and bent over to pick up the piece of paper.

Litterbug.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-26, 07:28 PM
Linessa and Dolrael, at their table in the corner of the room (where they were even now attracting more than their fair share of glances, him because of his size, her because of... well, her) watched this with mild interest. When it was gone, Dolrael spoke up first.

"...I wonder what all that was able."

"Not sure. Whoever that was, it didn't seem to drop anything except that slip of paper... What's the Temple of the Thousand Wards?"

"I am not sure. Do you wish to find owls?"

"Yes. Piles of gold are good. Maybe we'll finally be able to pick up a couple rings of sustenance... I can think of a few worthy organizations that require slight financial aid, as well."

Dolrael waved for the barmaid, intending to get the paper from her.

Glyphic
2008-03-26, 07:42 PM
Wither trudged toward the obelisk of an inn, taking a dwarf’s pace as the last stragglers make their way to supper. Elegant coaches, carriages, and a barrage of footmen wheel past him, splattering Wither’s pale-brown wool robes with a slosh of mud.

The tentacles drooping from Wither’s maw twitched as he categorized his thoughts on the native churches of Inneskillen (the one that had let him view their vaults, at any rate). They paid the price of reverence in gold. “Think of it as... buying a meal for the soul,” A pot-bellied priest laughed, as he flashed a glittering smile, “A meal you can’t afford to miss.”

Something pierced Wither’s eardrum in the way only a Shrieker could, reeling him back into the present. He wasn’t the only one watching the barwench stoop to pick up a triffle scrap. For others, it was a pleasant view; but for Wither, it was fragment of the Future. He wasted no time approaching her and the couple that called her over.

With an intense quibble of his tentacles, he pronounced, “That scrap there.. It calls out to my fascination.”

Wither's appearance.
Wither is a slight, lean humanoid, which a spidery mass of greenish tentacles hanging from his maw. He has the appearance of a burnt candle; thin, segmented and made to burn fast. His skin has a mottled blue tone, mostly hidden a ragged set of pale brown woolen robes, clasped with a simple rope-belt, with two convenient pockets of fabric at the breast. His eyes are occluded behind a dark set of crystalline goggles. The goggles have a leather strap that loops around his head and rest just above his ear cavities.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-26, 10:08 PM
A female elf stands up in the back of the room.
Of all the times to find a job, it's tonight. I had such good prospects.
She leans over to the amorous (and slightly inebriated) couple at the next table.
He's sleeping with your maid, you know. And your brother.
S'yis then walks slowly to the front of the room for a better look at the note.

Solo
2008-03-26, 11:38 PM
Sir and ma'am? Sabiel walks over gracefully to the couple that beckoned her (Linessa and Dolrael) and bowed. How may I help?, she asked in a relaxed tone, for she knew that a couple was much less likely to gawk at her and ask for her room number between orders.

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-27, 12:08 AM
Vorg Adalbrecht

A mountain of a man sat at one of the tables, a pile of ugly muscle and hair criss-crossed with old scars. There are people who could be described as 'sculpted', but Vorg's sculptor seemed to have hewn him from rock using a saw, or maybe explosives.

He leered happily as he accepted his drink, his eyes taking in Selbina's obvious assets (her abilities with Prestidigitation, of course). He might not be able to do the deed anymore thanks to an annoying goddess of peace, but that didn't mean he couldn't enjoy the view.

Curious now, he stood (taking his drink with him) and made his way to the small cluster of people gathering around Selbina.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-27, 10:09 AM
Linessa, blissfully unaware of the demon she was speaking to and the drow approaching, gave a charming little smile.

"Sorry to bother you, but could I please see the piece of paper that..." Linessa paused to find the right word, "...patron just dropped?"

Solo
2008-03-27, 12:25 PM
You are welcome to it, if you wish.

Sabiel hands her the paper and decides to read it over her shoulder.

So, what does it say?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-27, 12:42 PM
The parchment doesn't seem to have anything written on it. It is absolutely blank, with only the yellowish tint common to old pieces of paper to indicate anything about it. Why bother with a silly piece of parchment? It's so silly, in fact, that you have to repress a laugh so as not to look like loonies.

Spellcraft or Knowledge Arcane checks in the OOC thread, please. Trained only.

TheThan
2008-03-27, 02:05 PM
Normally this would be Kana’s night off, but The normal barkeep needed the night off (probably to rectify some neglect his wife has been receiving) so kana offered to fill in for him. This hotel was the nicest place Kana had ever worked, so she’d thought she’d try to make a good impression.

She had managed to charm her way into a job a week ago when one of the other barmaids fell pregnant. She knew she wouldn’t be able to stay long, but this job would put some coin in her purse.

She was leaning over the bar wiping it down, giving whomever is sitting in front of her full view of her enormous cleavage when the strange visitor came in and made his announcement. Standing to her full 7 ft height.

When the being disappeared in a puff of smoke one thing caught in her mind “enormous piles of gold”. While she’s not greedy, the thought of never having to put up with a drunk patron slapping her butt as she passed by was encouraging.

“’scuse me hon,” she said to the man she was passing a drink to.

Stepping from behind the bar, she approached the small group of people puzzling over the parchment the cloaked figure had dropped.

“So what’s it say?”

Solo
2008-03-27, 02:14 PM
The parchment doesn't seem to have anything written on it. It is absolutely blank, with only the yellowish tint common to old pieces of paper to indicate anything about it. Why bother with a silly piece of parchment? It's so silly, in fact, that you have to repress a laugh so as not to look like loonies.

Spellcraft or Knowledge Arcane checks in the OOC thread, please. Trained only.

Amazing. It is blank, but perhaps something will show up. Perhaps I could Detect something Magical on it?

Cast Detect Magic on the parchment.

Glyphic
2008-03-27, 03:05 PM
Wither edges in closer, almost invasive, to get a full view of the parchment.

Pools of darkness, hidden behind Wither's goggles, swivel to Sabiel after she's begun casting, "Be careful with wanton magics. Our.. potential employer just vanished into thin air. He did not appear savory."

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-27, 04:55 PM
Amazing. It is blank, but perhaps something will show up. Perhaps I could Detect something Magical on it?

Cast Detect Magic on the parchment.

As Sabiel concentrates on the parchment, she has a reaction to an event that could only be described with one word:

BOOM!

Solo, Fort save, DC 25 to avoid knockback due to the wave of magical energy you perceive from the object. Clearly, it is a powerful artifact, the person in black robes was not lying about that. Your checks do not give you insight on it's function, but you realize the desire to chuckle is certainly not natural. The cone shaped parchment seems like a normal, perfectly serious object.

If you fail the save, you take this damage, form a 1d6 roll: [roll0]

EagleWiz
2008-03-27, 05:08 PM
OOC: Wheres the OOC thread?

IC: Karim is sitting in a dark corner trying not to attract attention.
Karim whispers something to what appears to be a floating mug of ale.
Put that down. The idea was NOT to attract attention.
Yeah boss but....
What are those fools staring at?
I dono.
Well go find out. And keep your voice down.

Solo
2008-03-27, 07:54 PM
As Sabiel concentrates on the parchment, she has a reaction to an event that could only be described with one word:

BOOM!

Solo, Fort save, DC 25 to avoid knockback due to the wave of magical energy you perceive from the object. Clearly, it is a powerful artifact, the person in black robes was not lying about that. Your checks do not give you insight on it's function, but you realize the desire to chuckle is certainly not natural. The cone shaped parchment seems like a normal, perfectly serious object.

If you fail the save, you take this damage, form a 1d6 roll: [roll0]
Fortitude Save:[roll0]

Sabiel rolls here eyes.

Apparently it's a sort of noisemaker.

Scintillatus
2008-03-27, 10:14 PM
It really had been a long year, and no one could reasonably fault him for deciding to take a break... I mean, everyone does it. Sometimes, you just have to kick back, get drunk, and chase after that cute waiter with the swishy hips...

Okay, the last one not so much. But there's really nothing wrong with a bit of relaxation.

"Unfortunate, however, that it proves to be so short."

Dominic peers up from his arcanely-complex fruity drink, and inspects the scene gathering around the parchment. The mention of money didn't drive him wild, but the drama of the situation was fascinating. He looms up from his seat and strides over, unceremoniously peering over everyone's shoulders with the grace and subtlety of a flung brick.

"Someone prepared Explosive Runes this morning, eh?"

Solo
2008-03-27, 10:15 PM
Do I look exploded on to you?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-27, 10:26 PM
No, but a simple Detect Magic isn't normally so...vigorous.

Glyphic
2008-03-28, 12:07 AM
Wither turns slowly, Giving each new member of the cluster an accessing gazeas they approach; He gives the gargantuan Orcish woman and the man with a map of battle written across his skin an extra lengthy stare.

He then pulls out a small onyx bauble, and susurrates a faint hymn. He casts Divine Insight.

Ignoring the budding disagreement, Wither lets out a sparse chuckle,before circumlocuting his thoughts,in a voice just beyond a whisper, "The Scrap has some magical power. Likely defensive, as so it's not destroyed.It bears an assumed toll on it's wearer... The Promise of gold, the 'mysterious' entrance, and careless abandon of the scrap; Perhaps they wished to attract fools?"

Solo
2008-03-28, 12:33 AM
he Scrap has some magical power. Likely defensive, as so it's not destroyed.

Really? I couldn't tell, Sabiel remarks sarcastically.

Now, if I may suggest we take this to a more... private place? My senses tell me this thing is rather... potent a magical item.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-28, 01:23 AM
Linessa, ever so slightly unnerved by the tentacled being next to her, was inclined to agree. "A good idea. It's starting to get a little cramped here... Do you have any suggestions?"

Dolrael, meanwhile, was reaching for the scrap. "Perhaps I should hold on to this infatuated paper, in case it attritions to explode again."

Solo
2008-03-28, 02:53 PM
Why don't we take this up to my place, hm? Sabiel suggests to Linessa.

(What do I roll to subtly hit on her? Bluff, convey secret message?)

Bluff: Auto-fail so that I effectively roll a 1, making it a bluff check of 16 vs her sense motive.

Sabiel hands the paper to Dolrael and leads the others to the staff quarters.

So, tentacle guy, know anything about that temple he mentioned?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-28, 02:57 PM
*Bluff is, indeed, what's used to convey a secret message. Clever idea, autofailing it.*

EagleWiz
2008-03-28, 06:24 PM
Karim

Edit: Cursed form roller! Work!
Edit #2: Ok this isnt working... Going to use invisiblecastle.
Edit #3: Ok im going to ask you to trust me here. I got a 1. For sence motive. Thus the quasit "infers some false meaning." :smallfrown:

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-28, 06:30 PM
((OOC: Would you guys mind listing your characters names at the top of your posts? It helps me remember who's who.))

Vorg

Vorg, who up until that moment had been paying more attention to Sabiel than the parchment, turns his attention to Wither. "Attracting fools, hm? It seems he found no shortage of them, then," his expansive gesture took in the small crowd of men, women, and tentacled monsters that had gathered.

TheThan
2008-03-28, 09:41 PM
Kana

The loud bang doesn’t seem to phase kana, who’s used to all sorts of unexpected events, such is the life of a waitress.

I’m interested in this, since it probably beats hanging around here. But I’ve gotta get back to work, and so do you Sabiel. We can discuss our potential employer and job later, after hours. I’ll let you all in and we can talk about it here.

With that the giant orc steps slowly steps away from the group, and back towards the bar.

Scintillatus
2008-03-28, 09:46 PM
Dominic peers between Sabiel and Kana, letting out a quiet "hrmmm."

"Well, I am quite content to go with the group's choice. Mysterious declarations of danger and intrigue interest me, and I surely can't deny my fascinations. Now or later, matters little to me."

He rolls back on his heels, inspecting the rest of them curiously.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-28, 10:19 PM
S'yis looks appraisingly over the group.

Yes, this promises to be quite interesting to watch.

Solo
2008-03-28, 10:47 PM
Kana

The loud bang doesn’t seem to phase kana, who’s used to all sorts of unexpected events, such is the life of a waitress.

I’m interested in this, since it probably beats hanging around here. But I’ve gotta get back to work, and so do you Sabiel. We can discuss our potential employer and job later, after hours. I’ll let you all in and we can talk about it here.

With that the giant orc steps slowly steps away from the group, and back towards the bar.

I'm taking a break, and my vacation after it. Grinned Sabiel. Because, you know, now that I've met a group of adventurers in a bar, I am compelled to follow them through the course of this adventure, even though it will put me at great risk for dying and so forth.

Stabby
2008-03-29, 12:18 PM
Fiero Séduisant

A crash is heard as a hooded figure darts in the door and slams it shut behind him. As he throws the bolt, the screaming of young girls can be heard. As he turns to survey the room, his hood falls back revealing a finely sculpted face that reveals obvious otherwordly parentage. As he looks across the room, he notices the group examining the parchment.

With a confident step and a devil-may-care grin, he strolls up. With a bow, "A party? Lovely. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Fiero Séduisant. Yes the Fiero Séduisant. And you fine people are?"

Solo
2008-03-29, 01:30 PM
"A party? Lovely. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Fiero Séduisant. Yes the Fiero Séduisant. And you fine people are?"

Not impressed. Sabiel smirks as the tries to discern Fiero's heritage.

Might want to deflate your head a little, kid. Can't go around acting like you're Ozymandias and all.

So, who are you?

Glyphic
2008-03-29, 02:04 PM
Wither

"I believe he's your summon. You did happen to say 'Adventurers'" Wither says in a low tone, tentacles flipping back and fourth.

"I will respectfully agree with the orc; potential journeys are deary enough to wait until morning, and the discussion of them until later tonight. In the mean time, Let us acquaint ourselves, and fulfill the last of our duties here."

After a shallow bow, Wither whirrs, "I am Wither. Flay off the tentacles." and then takes an uninvited seat next to Linessa. He then begins drawing out small, leather bound books and diaries, scraps of ancient letters and compendiums from a belt pouch.

Solo
2008-03-29, 02:10 PM
Well, in that case, I'll be happy to take your orders, and please remember to tip accordingly.

-----Time skip till after dinner?--------

EagleWiz
2008-03-29, 02:46 PM
With a loud "POP" a small demonic imp appears.

"Oops..."

Solo
2008-03-29, 02:47 PM
Sabiel raises an eyebrow.

EagleWiz
2008-03-29, 03:46 PM
Karim walks over to the group.

"Excuse me. I am Karim, a sorcerer. The quasit is my familar. You appear to be ... working for the man who droped this. It sounds like you could use some assistance."

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-29, 10:03 PM
As everyone is acquainting themselves to each others, the doors burst open for a third time. Far, far away, girls can still be heard screaming. But the person who enters would not qualify as a fangirl even to a bone headed Xvart. It is a short, plump, stocky man, who wears rather thick spectacles, and has a black goatee to match his black hair.

Immediately, the bar patrons stand up, and start orderly walking towards the back of the stablishment. Villains, why do they have to ALWAYS have a goatee and thrash the place up? In any case, it matters not. One of Pershing's rules is, if your meal is interrupted by a Heroic Battle of Destiny or Dramatic Villain Entrance And Monologue, it's free. And it seems like there's a DVEAM incoming.

Scrutinizing the now-a-lot-emptier Tavern, the spectacled man sees the group of people and the parchment cone. His face taking a greedy look, he immediately begins speaking in a nasal tone:

"AAH! There eet is! Hang over ze arteefact! I, Bellisar Denombriuscom Plexus, deemands eet! Queekly, or I zhall annihilate you with my mageek!"

EagleWiz
2008-03-30, 08:52 AM
And 'ow do ve know ew have magikk?

Solo
2008-03-30, 10:31 AM
As everyone is acquainting themselves to each others, the doors burst open for a third time. Far, far away, girls can still be heard screaming. But the person who enters would not qualify as a fangirl even to a bone headed Xvart. It is a short, plump, stocky man, who wears rather thick spectacles, and has a black goatee to match his black hair.

Immediately, the bar patrons stand up, and start orderly walking towards the back of the stablishment. Villains, why do they have to ALWAYS have a goatee and thrash the place up? In any case, it matters not. One of Pershing's rules is, if your meal is interrupted by a Heroic Battle of Destiny or Dramatic Villain Entrance And Monologue, it's free. And it seems like there's a DVEAM incoming.

Scrutinizing the now-a-lot-emptier Tavern, the spectacled man sees the group of people and the parchment cone. His face taking a greedy look, he immediately begins speaking in a nasal tone:

"AAH! There eet is! Hang over ze arteefact! I, Bellisar Denombriuscom Plexus, deemands eet! Queekly, or I zhall annihilate you with my mageek!"

Never! Just give us a moment to figure out who's in on this and we'll come up with a response.

Oh, and as long as you are here, would you care to try the cheesecake?

Initiative: [roll0]

Glyphic
2008-03-30, 11:58 AM
Wither

Looks up for an annoyed moment from a collection of crinkled love letters. Someone elses's loveletters. Some postman must be Groovin'.

"Here; now? Let him have the thing. The fines for non-entertaining violence here run you through faster than any blade. We can chase him all across the planes in the morning."

His tentacles toss themselves like some awkward seafood salad as he talks. despite his complaints, he stands. (Ready for action!)

[roll0]

Stabby
2008-03-30, 01:56 PM
Fiero Séduisant

Fiero reaches under his cloak and pulls forth an amazing stringed instrument. Striking a wide footed stance, he strumms a chord that just screams. An otherwordly aura of awesome surrounds him as he speaks in a resounding voice.

"For those about to talk, I salute you."

Init [roll0]
Perform Check [roll1]

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-30, 06:06 PM
S'yis

Bother. Always during dinner, too. Oh well.

S'yis slowly turns around to look at the annoying little man.

Is this really necessary? I'm sure there are plenty of other world-shattering Artifacts out there just waiting to be found. I really have a lot of things I would rather be experiencing than this.

[roll0]

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-30, 06:08 PM
Dangit
Initiative:
[roll0]

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-30, 11:59 PM
Vorg

Vorg stops moving back towards the bar when the unusual wizard burst through the door. "A fight? Already? I knew joining this rag-tag group of weirdoes and ne'er-do-wells was a good idea!" He was suddenly all smiles of the blood-thirsty kind.

On his way back into the thick of things, he grabs a spear that had previously been resting on the floor by his table: a wickedly barbed, metal-and-wood monstrosity that practically oozed ill-will and malice. It was the kind of spear that said, if it were capable of speech, 'If you aren't using me to commit multiple atrocities, you are wasting my time and yours.'

Initiative: [roll0]

Scintillatus
2008-03-31, 08:43 AM
Dominic

Whirling around to face this new, badly-voiced threat, the Tiefling scowls with distaste and lifts his hands into the air.

You are a fool if you think you can defeat this entire hotel, Plexus. And I take a great deal of pleasure in dealing with fools.

[roll0]

Solo
2008-03-31, 11:53 AM
Just remember to handle it in a nice, orderly manner. Everyone wait till your turn to act against.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-31, 05:13 PM
Linessa and Dolrael

Linessa cursed her luck; the one time she had chosen relaxation over safety, and removed her armor and weaponry for more casual clothing... Ah, well.

Her optimism kicked in rather quickly. She still had her half-moon pendant. Dolrael, may he be forever blessed, was still fully armed and armored... plus, he was the one with the paper this maybe-mage so clearly wanted; he'd keep it safe. She was going to have plenty of companionship when she was taking it to the Temple of the Thousand Wards. Dolrael was great, but she still felt lonely sometimes nonetheless. Speaking of lonli And she even had an excuse to move a bit farther from the... tentacle thing that had sat next to her.

"Try not to make too much of a mess, all right, Dol?"

Dolrael placed his hand on the hilt of his greatsword. "I make no prometheuses."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

(Sorry for holding you all up for so long.)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-01, 11:13 AM
((Awright. Some people haven't posted, and it seems like they'll never will, so I'm going to proceed.))

Acting faster than you can see, and much faster than such a plump man could or should, Plexus launches a spell. In but a moment, a dense fog envelops you, and the man suddenly has an even bigger speed up, as he summons a massive hand that pushes Dolrael. And before you have a chance to react, he mutters something incomprehensible, suffers one last great speed up, and shoots a white-blue beam at Vorg that saps his strength. Then, he gloats. Ha-ha-ha! Yoo are patheteekally unprepared to deal weeth a weezard of my caleeber! You should give up now!

Metagame info: The guy's a Batman wizard. Fear not, he's toned down. He acts first with 30 Init due to a nerveskitter and improved initiative, used them to launch a solid fog, did a quickened Forceful hand, then cast celerity and threw a Ray of Enfeeblement at Vorg (Touch attack [roll0]) as you attempt to do something. Could have been worse. And don't worry, this won't result in a TPK.

Bull rush: [roll1]

Glyphic
2008-04-01, 01:50 PM
As far as I can tell, the initiative order is...
Plexus (30)
Kana (23)
Linessa (21)
S'yis (14)
Dominic (11)
Vorg (10; 13? Something looks weird about his roll)
Wither (10)
Sabiel (8)
Dolrael (6)
Fiero (5)

Also; My actions depend on if Dolrael <3 moves or not. I'll be posting my action since it's mostly independent.

Further edit. When did I become an ettin?

Solo
2008-04-01, 03:12 PM
Alright Linessa, go!

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-01, 04:39 PM
First, the opposed check. Then action!

[roll0]

...Wow. Is it even possible for him to get pushed back that far? Wouldn't he get... shunted into a wall or something?

Anyway... hmm...

Linessa watches as Dolrael gets shoved backwards by the mage's spell, even as the syllables come to her lips and to her mind, and her grip tightens on her pendant. A mere moment later, she appears to be shrouded in divine light, which quickly settles onto her clothing, making it radiant. She then boldly takes a few steps towards the intruder, unafraid of the danger.

Mage Armor on self, followed by moving closer to the entrance to the tavern, the villain, and anyone who wishes to charge him. Heroisms over here, for physical attacker-types. Come and get 'em.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-01, 05:57 PM
Do you want to take the direct route through the solid fog, or go round it? You're about 60-70' away from Plexus directly through the fog, and 90-100' going around it.

TheThan
2008-04-01, 06:20 PM
Now back behind the bar, kana simply rolls her eyes as the young bard bursts into the room. But the quick exodus out of the room by the various other patrons draws a huff from the tall orc.

“Hey you! Take it outside or you’ll regret it!”

intiative (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1547184/)

intimidate (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1547186/)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-01, 10:13 PM
S'yis

So much power, so few brains. Really, how did you survive to this level?

S'yis steps to the side, in order to see Plexus, and drops silenced Blindness on him. Make the move so she remains out of the cloud, and stays 70 ft from him, but the cloud is no longer between the 2 of them. If that isn't possible, tell me, and I'll change it.

DC18, Fort negates, no sign of her casting it.

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-01, 10:27 PM
Do you want to take the direct route through the solid fog, or go round it? You're about 60-70' away from Plexus directly through the fog, and 90-100' going around it.

(Hmm... Around. EDIT: Could you work up a map, real quick? Doesn't have to be a work of art, but a visual reference would be wonderful.)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-01, 10:29 PM
S'yis

So much power, so few brains. Really, how did you survive to this level?

S'yis steps to the side, in order to see Plexus, and drops silenced Blindness on him. Make the move so she remains out of the cloud, and stays 70 ft from him, but the cloud is no longer between the 2 of them. If that isn't possible, tell me, and I'll change it.

DC18, Fort negates, no sign of her casting it.

You SURE you wanna do that?

Lumber. Seems fine, it's going to take more or less the same amount of time anyway.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-02, 02:38 PM
((So, how much strength did that Ray of Enfeeblement drain from me?))

Vorg

Vorg begins a mighty summoning. He closes his eyes, rests his longspear on the ground, rears back and produces from thin air - a unicorn.

He looks rather embarrassed as his pure-as-the-virgin-snow mount, Snowflake, nuzzles him happily.

Glyphic
2008-04-02, 03:30 PM
Wither

With fumbles about, digging through his robes and creates a whirl of papers all about. Behind his goggles, his eyes become images of harvest moons set against an inky, unobstructed sky. His guttural chants blurr Arcane and Divine, as a heavy, chill mist surrounds him.

Full round action to begin summoning. If I'm not in the fog; I'll take a five-foot step forward, but I can't if I'm in it.

Scintillatus
2008-04-02, 04:08 PM
Dominic

"What kind of magical incompetance is this? Rush into the giant fog cloud, instead of bothering to dispel it or blow it away? Let us gird ourselves for battle against the short fat man, instead of just fastening his shoes to the floor and knocking him unconscious.

Dominic rolls his eyes, grumbling some arcane syllables and waving his hands; enchanting those near him with Haste.

"Let's at least hurry the stabbing along, mm? Perhaps there will be some remains to interrogate, or one of you can Speak With Dead."

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-02, 05:25 PM
Dyslexic: Shave off [roll0] from STR.

Solo
2008-04-02, 05:48 PM
Countermand that order. Take 7 Str. damage.

The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+1 per two caster levels (maximum 1d6+5). The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-02, 05:57 PM
*Psst...knocked down the caster level! Yeah, fiatty, but I don't want to destroy such well crafter characters.*

Solo
2008-04-02, 06:05 PM
Belay the countermanding of that order!

TheThan
2008-04-02, 08:39 PM
Kana moves out from behind the bar and begins circling around behind the human spell caster, looking or an opening and a way around the solid fog.

“So much for the easy way. Why don’t they ever listen”

[ooc]

I’m readying an action to try to flank the spellcaster
ok I need a map of some sort to be able to tell where everyone else is, as well as the solid fog. Kana’s been around enough to know not to enter into anything that a spellcaster summons.

also italics are thoughts not speech.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-03, 07:07 AM
If you are with the rest of the group, then you are near the table, at 60-70' from Plexus. If you are at the bar, you're at about 250' away from him. The fog is just in front of the people at the table, so circumventing it and reaching the wizard would require moving about 80-90'.

Solo
2008-04-03, 09:17 AM
Thanks, love, I always wanted to go blind, Sabiel comments, casting Alter Self and turning into a ravid.

With haste, I have a fly speed of 90 ft (perfect).

I fly up 30 feet and forward 60 feet, if possible.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-03, 09:39 AM
Half speed. Effect of blindness.

Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded)

Solo
2008-04-03, 12:15 PM
in that case, up thirty and forward 15.

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-03, 04:44 PM
Dolrael, after getting over a very minor bit of shock, starts pushing against the hand with all his mighty might of mightyness.

[roll0]

Glyphic
2008-04-03, 05:06 PM
Assuming the mage is dazed from celerity (haha. -.-), It'd be Linessa's turn again.

Edit: My mistake. Fiero needs to go, and Kana needs to decide an action with the info.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-03, 05:10 PM
Nah, the guy just seems a bit tired from the magic. So, everyone has taken the action?

TheThan
2008-04-03, 07:15 PM
[OOC]

Kana's double moving to get behind the caster. staying out of the fog.

Stabby
2008-04-03, 09:28 PM
Fiero

Fiero starts to circle around the fog, while casting a spell that just seems to create a humming around him.

takes move action to start to go around the fog, casts Sonorous Hum (SC 196)

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-04, 04:26 AM
(OOC: Linessa is delaying until after S'yis. Also, in retrospect, I really should have had Dolrael soulmeld something useful... ah, well. Next turn.)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-04, 07:05 AM
Finally catching his breath, Plexus gets up, fire in his eyes. Staring at the place from which Dominic's voice came from, he flares up and shouts: So I am a short, fat man? Yoo'll pay for that! He screams. Then, he lifts his hands up. Waves of dark arcane magic accumulate above his head, forming some sort of purple and black sphere.

And then, he releases the orb, which quickly flie towards the group and explodes, leaving everyone weakened and feeble.

Waves of Exhaustion. Apply appropiate penalties, please.

Solo
2008-04-04, 11:13 AM
Save: [roll0]

Note: You may want to calculate who is affected by it or not. Ariel creatures may or may not be affected depending on their height and distance from the caster, and the orb behind you certainly won't be affected by a cone cast at he main party...

By the way, I can prove with the powers of geometry that I can't be affected by an ordinary cone, as the cone would be 30 feet high only at a distance of 60 feet, whereas I am 30 feet up and 55 feet away from the caster.

I'm sorry, was that supposed to do anything?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-04, 01:03 PM
'Kay, you get off free. Everyone else does not, though.

Also, people, don't bother rolling up a save. Waves of Exhaustion offers none.

TheThan
2008-04-04, 01:14 PM
'Kay, you get off free. Everyone else does not, though.

Also, people, don't bother rolling up a save. Waves of Exhaustion offers none.

what about me? since I'm moving behind him from the bar, and you said he targeted the group with the spell.

Glyphic
2008-04-04, 03:39 PM
Wither: Action taken AFTER Kana, Linessa, Syris, Dominic, Vorg.

Wither shrugs off the waves, his mental functions unblemished. He finishes his chant with a curse. On the other side of the fog cloud, two skeletal husks crawl from the floor boards, phantoms of their old selves. They have cracked beaks and bones, but the stature of bears.

Without pause Wither snaps his tentacles thrice, while thrusting some obscure holy symbol into the air.

The skeletal owl bears charge Plexus, only the void filling their eyes.

Casting Prayer. if he hits everyone with exhaustion (while he's dazed?), Everyone in the main huddle gets gains a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks. I don't believe Dolrael should be hit by the waves.

1st Skeleton owlbear's charge: [roll0]
damage [roll1]
2nd skeleton owlbear's charge: [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Edit: Forgot my feats. if the bears are within 60' of me (and I have a moveaction, so I will try to move there), they get plus +2 to hit and damage.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-04, 04:01 PM
Yep, Kana is not targeted. Omitted that, but if the spell targets the group, it'd make sense it wouldn't hit you.

Dolrael, though, JUST fits.

Also, Plexus is not dazed. Immunity to daze via items.

EagleWiz
2008-04-05, 07:33 AM
The Quasit casts Greater Invisibality on itself.
Karim runs in a straight line to get to plexus.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-05, 10:13 AM
You SURE you want to go in a STRAIGHT line? 'Cause that means going through solid fog.

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-07, 01:28 AM
Linessa does her best to keep going, despite her sudden exhaustion. It's become obvious that they don't have a chance of defeating this wizard... but maybe she can draw him away, if she can get to Dolrael. She's still careful to bypass the fog, however.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-07, 05:59 AM
What actions d'you use to move?

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-07, 08:39 PM
What actions d'you use to move?

(All of them! ALL OF THEM!)

TheThan
2008-04-07, 08:55 PM
Kana charges the spellcaster and attempts to tackle him, taking him to the ground and pinning him.

Ok I’m not sure what initiative we’re on so I’m going to go ahead and post my actions for the upcoming round.

Grapple attempt (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1554911/)

ooops, I charged, so it should be +2 to that (at least i think so, it doesn't say if i do for grappling), and I don’t know if the +1 bonus to my enchanted fists get added in.

I also provoke an AOO from him, since I don’t have improved grapple.:smallfrown:

Glyphic
2008-04-07, 09:37 PM
Plexus (30)
Kana (23)
Linessa (21)
S'yis (14) <--- WE ARE HERE
Dominic (11)
Vorg (10)
Wither (10)
Sabiel (8)
Dolrael (6)
Fiero (5)
Sarim (Rock the Casba)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-08, 02:42 AM
Ah, **** prepared casters.

With a wave of her hands, S'yis dismisses the blindness that had cursed her and her teammates, and retreats to 80 feet away.

Glyphic
2008-04-08, 02:48 AM
Wither: Action taken AFTER Dominic, Vorg.

Wither shrugs off the waves, his mental functions unblemished. He finishes his chant with a curse. On the other side of the fog cloud, two skeletal husks crawl from the floor boards, phantoms of their old selves. They have cracked beaks and bones, but the stature of bears.

Without pause Wither snaps his tentacles thrice, while thrusting some obscure holy symbol into the air.

The skeletal owl bears charge Plexus, only the void filling their eyes.

Casting Prayer. if he hits everyone with exhaustion (while he's dazed?), Everyone in the main huddle gets gains a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks. I don't believe Dolrael should be hit by the waves.

1st Skeleton owlbear's charge: [roll0]
damage [roll1]
2nd skeleton owlbear's charge: [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Edit: Forgot my feats. if the bears are within 60' of me (and I have a moveaction, so I will try to move there), they get plus +2 to hit and damage.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-08, 06:23 AM
Lumber: Linessa reaches Dolrael alright. Thank god for Run actions.

Than: The wizards seemss to slid off your grasp, as if he was made of butter. Sadly, he still manages to use the opening, making blue fire emanate from his palm.

Dex, and it's NOT shivering touch: [roll0]

Glyph: The undead charge towards Plexus...and epicaly miss him, clearly hitting the air. Spellcraft, please. Or Knowledge, religion.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-08, 07:09 PM
(OOC: His unicorn's 70ft movement speed should get around the barrier, right?)

Vorg

The mighty warrior mounts his unicorn and skirts around the solid fog, also bearing down on the wizard.

It's almost certain to fail on Batman, but once Vorg gets inside 20ft, his Calm Emotions aura will try to calm the wizard down with a DC18 will save. If that fails, he'll give a Hold Person a try, DC21 will save.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-08, 07:14 PM
Hmm...Since it would be depressing to get a whole turn of nuthin' because you're 5' inside the solid fog, let's say you can get out normally, giving you 65' left. With that, you end at about 10' away from the magicky guy.

Saves: [roll0]
[roll1]

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-08, 07:19 PM
That's about what I expected. This is a weakened version of Batman? I feel like one of those Japanese extras in a Godzilla flick :smallsmile:

Solo
2008-04-08, 07:36 PM
What the... I see dead people!

TheThan
2008-04-09, 11:49 AM
That's about what I expected. This is a weakened version of Batman? I feel like one of those Japanese extras in a Godzilla flick :smallsmile:

yeah, especially since he dodged a grapple attempt with an attack of 28+. :smalleek:

Scintillatus
2008-04-09, 04:16 PM
Dominic

"Well, perhaps I can do away with our primary obstacle and get us a line of sight on that slippery git..."

Dominic waves his hands around, attempting to Dispel the Wizard's Solid Fog.

[roll0]

Whether he fails hilariously or not, Dominic also begins to move (incredibly slowly, now) to flank.

Solo
2008-04-09, 10:02 PM
My turn?

Sabiel wants to cast Magic Missile!

[roll0]

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-10, 05:44 AM
yeah, especially since he dodged a grapple attempt with an attack of 28+. :smalleek:
He could have a Freedom of Movement-granting item.

Stabby
2008-04-10, 09:06 AM
Im going, just my action happens after Doreal

Fiero

With a powerful strums of his instrument, Fiero starts to sing a raucous chorus to fire up his newfound companions. As he does, he continues his advance around the fog blocking his approuch at the foe.

"Back off I’ll take you on
Headstrong to take on anyone
I know that you are wrong
Headstrong we’re headstrong
Back off I’ll take you on
Headstrong to take on anyone
I know that you are wrong and this is not where you belong
I can’t give everything away
I won’t give everything away!"

Starting bardic music to Inspire Courage.

Not that I need it, but Perform Check to see how awesome I do. Perform Rock Out [roll0] This is to help my fame grow. Its a role-playing thing!

Glyphic
2008-04-11, 10:06 PM
Plexus (30)
Kana (23)
Linessa (21)
S'yis (14)
Dominic (11)
Vorg (10)
Wither (10)
Sabiel (8)
Dolrael (6) <--- WE ARE HERE
Fiero (5) (taken action)
Sarim (Rock the Casba)

TheThan
2008-04-12, 01:12 AM
He could have a Freedom of Movement-granting item.

Probably but that ruined the image I had in my head of this orc chick football tackling this guy.

it was something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94)

Only with more punching and less yelling…

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-12, 12:24 PM
Plexus (30)
Kana (23)
Linessa (21)
S'yis (14)
Dominic (11)
Vorg (10)
Wither (10)
Sabiel (8)
Dolrael (6) <--- WE ARE HERE
Fiero (5) (taken action)
Sarim (Rock the Casba)

(Gack. People moving out of order messes me up. Sorry... Anyway, Dolrael continues his epic, yet futile, struggle. Pity him.)

Solo
2008-04-13, 12:05 PM
(I could Grease you.)

TheThan
2008-04-13, 11:58 PM
(I could Grease you.)

(I don't think he needs that sort of help.

anyway I'm just waiting until the next round to do something.)

Solo
2008-04-14, 12:23 AM
(Escape Artist check.)

(Hey, where'd, the others go?)

Glyphic
2008-04-14, 12:26 AM
{I'm better because I'm using not-Parenthesizeseses.. I'm here. I don't know where Karim is. but this battle is taking waaay too long. Can we just *ahem* Skip it and work on a better method? Plus, I don't think Karim's player is going to post this week. No idea where AK is.}

Solo
2008-04-14, 12:54 AM
(Let's have AK take over their characters, while I MM the guy.)

Glyphic
2008-04-14, 01:02 AM
{I'll have mark approach the shadow. As he draws his weapons, he give's his battlecry. "Blood. Death. Vengeance."}

Solo
2008-04-14, 01:18 AM
{I'll have mark approach the shadow. As he draws his weapons, he give's his battlecry. "Blood. Death. Vengeance."}

(Can't you just have him stand still for a bit?)

Glyphic
2008-04-15, 02:56 AM
{So ah.. who do we have take over Ak?}

TheThan
2008-04-20, 12:06 PM
{So ah.. who do we have take over Ak?}

yeah its been like 5 days since this thread was posted in. (been waiting for my turn for a while now)

Solo
2008-04-22, 12:31 PM
I am disappointed. I vote we PM AK!

TheThan
2008-04-22, 01:33 PM
I am disappointed. I vote we PM AK!

agreed, who gets to do it though?

Solo
2008-04-22, 01:44 PM
I already did... he said he was waiting for people to PM him back to show they were still interested.

So get to PMing, people!

Glyphic
2008-04-23, 02:39 AM
I'm still in, of course. Homebrew willing, may switch to a cloaked dancer. who knows.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-23, 07:13 PM
{If you're switching to a cloaked dancer, and I THINK I know WHICH you're talking 'bout...I okay it. As for ending the fight, as you wish, if you guys are willing to continue.}

Solo
2008-04-23, 07:33 PM
So who's turn is it now?

Glyphic
2008-04-23, 10:48 PM
Wither

Wither sighs, letting his tentacles quibble out, "It's the Mage's turn. "

TheThan
2008-04-24, 12:58 PM
(OOC)
I have this nagging suspicion that we may have lost some players, so lets get a show of hands to see who’s still here.

So far:
Solo
Thethan
Glyphic
Azerian Kelimon

Aside from that I’m still waiting for my turn… or are we skipping ahead?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-24, 09:40 PM
Well, if that Mage won't make a move, I may just go back to casting spells on defensless NPCs.