PDA

View Full Version : World Building Exercise - The Sundered Veil

Lord Tataraus
2008-03-26, 05:43 PM
Premise: The premise of this thread is to provide an exercise in world building, in terms of building cultures, relations, organizations, etc. around a given set of rules and basic setting. The aim of this exercise is to create the framework for a single world, contributers are encouraged to make various suggestions and discuss the plausibly and attraction of those suggestions, however as the director of this exercise, I reserve the right to make a final decision on any topic to keep it moving.

General Rules: The world will be built based on suggestions from various contributers which will be fully explored and developed through discussion or privately on the contributor's part. After which the suggestions will be combined and a vote shall determine which suggestion will be added to the project. The elements to be built will be outlined in the setting rules. All suggestions must be plausible within the limits of the setting basics such as the amount of magic, planar influences and already determined content. Be courteous and respect others views and contributions and ultimately, have fun!
<hr>
The Sundered Veil

"The time has come, my friends, to sunder the Veil. Too long has it created a rift in our search for knowledge, we must remove this menace to our advancement. Previously we could only lift the Veil, but only for so long, I have uncovered the power to destroy it forever! My friends, we are about to enter into a new age!!"
- Serath the Great addressing the assembly of mages before the ritual to sunder the Veil.

"Pretty worm, tasty tasty you are, squirmy squirmy!" The veiler elf smiled and played with the corpse, "*Tee hee* Black is red and red is blood, let me lick your heart!" He picked up the still warm heart and began to sniff it and lick as a lover. "Scourge of the Veil, Thunar give me strength!!" A knight in tarnished silver armor sank his axe into the veiler's head, spewing black fluid everywhere. The knight stood and viewed the corpse, his hardened eyes glistened with a tear that would not drop, sadness plagued this land now, his tears had run dry long ago. "Fly free spirit," the knight blessed the corpse as he bathed it in mystic oils, "fly free..." The green and purple flames reflected in his glazed eyes and he knew, one day, that would be his fate...

Setting Basics: The Sundered Veil is a small world with average D&D technology, city society, and magic with the follow exceptions. The events that cut the Kingdom of Tartan off from the rest of the world have had many effects on the nature of magic. Arcane magic has been all but banished from the land and divine power is weakened. This has given rise to new magics from more direct sources: binders, warlocks, and shadowcasters are the most common, but all drawing directly from the mystic source.

This world consists only of the small Kingdom of Tartan and a few outlying areas, below is the map of the world. Tartan's history is filled with advancement and splendor, the kingdom was the richest in the land, hosts of knights and priests of the great gods of good gathered in the great city of Elisom and Golden Fields for Tartan was truly blessed by the gods. Yet, it was this blessing that brought about the events that led to the Sundering of the Veil. Tartan's prosperity allowed for powerful wizards and researchers to go about their work with access to many exotic ingredients and gained much power and influence in this great nation, but the Knights of Thunar kept them in check, throwing out the vile necromancers and power-hungry enchanters allowing only those of the pure of heart to remain. The evil of the Sundering of the Veil was an evil so great, only a wizard of pure heart and good intentions could bring it about, and that was their downfall. Serath the Great, a might archmage, attempted to open the way to the world of pure arcane, to unleash it wonders onto the world and thus destroyed the veil. He gathered all the great and lesser mages in the land to perform the complex ritual, but when he realized his mistake, it was too late, the Sundering unleashed a deadly force, killing the mages instantly, but saving the rest of the kingdom, however, the land was cut off, the planes collapsed. The Kingdom and the intersections of the planes it touched collapsed into a single plane causing horrendous after effects. Death, no longer existed, nor did birth. Nothing could escape, not even the truest of souls. The gods could reach out to help their strongest followers, but with limited power.

At first, the world fell to twilight, a twilight that would never fade, magic was disrupted and their was confusion, but the strength and faith of the people allowed them to survive. But then the first veiled came. Those who died returned, shadows of their former selves. The souls of the dead could not leave and this limbo drove them insane, those of the strongest faith descended the worst into madness and were the first to form new bodies, blasphemies constructed out of their victims' flesh. The veiled plagued the world, killing and creating more and more veiled. The Knights of Thunar repelled them, but when victory seemed just over the horizon, they discovered that the veiled came back. One could destroy the body, but the soul remained as mad as ever. Only two options remained, the souls must be recycled or destroyed. At first recycling seemed the best thing to do, forcing the soul to be born again, yet such infants were blasphemies, the newer souls, untouched by insanity developed quirks, whispers of memory that caused instability, but the insane souls caused horrible creatures from the births, usually killing the birth mother. Thus the binders, formerly feared, were embraced and they led the way to committing the terrifying atrocities of destroying souls.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9462/kingdomoftartansn1.jpg

{table=head]#|Location|Description
1|Elisom|The capital of Tartan and home to the grand Silver Cathedral inside the castle gates.
2|Port Levith|
3|Golden Fields|The jewel of the plains, Golden Feilds is the wealthiest city in Tartan due to its role as a trading city which funnels all foodstuffs out of and throughout Tartan.
4||
5||
6||
7||
8||
9||
10||
11||
12|Serath's Tower|Home to Seraph the Great and the grandest wizarding university in the world before the Sundering.
13||
14||
15||
16||
17||
[/table]

That's all I got, though I plan to expand a bit on Elisom, Golden Fields, Serath's Tower and the Knight's of Thundar. However, you come up with something neat for either of those, I might use that instead. So, go at it!

Vadin
2008-03-26, 06:50 PM
Very well, Tartaraus. I'll play your game, you rogue.

The Knights of Thunar had practice in magesmiting. In fact, it was nearly all they did. They sought the vile who would abuse the Art and brought the wrath of the Justice upon their heads. When not actively magesmiting, though, the knights were preparing. They were magesmithing. Through little more than their own conviction and a small but everpresent connection to the divine, they crafted wondrous magical weapons, resistant to magical attacks and gifted in rending foul magic asunder.

When the Veil was lifted, and the Knights found a new Mission (protecting those who survived from the veiled monstrosities), they kept their magesmithing in practice, actually improving now that their connection was stronger, undampened by other, louder, forms of magic and enhanced by the proximity to the rifts. Not long after the Mission was declared, a practice arose among the Knights of Thunar. Instead of building up huge stockpiles of weapons with minor enchantments, each Knight would keep with him his Blade and Barrier. He would magesmith only those, and those alone.

The Blade, which may or may not actually be bladed, is the Knight's weapon of choice. He vows to keep it clean and primed for magesmiting. The Barrier is a Knight's combination of protective gear: some assembly of armor, shield, and magical defenses like amulets, helms, and bracers. He promises to use these in defense of the pure and against the onslaught of the wicked. With these tools, a Knight of Thunar upholds the Mission - defend the weak, smite the vile, and delay the inevitable.

Moff Chumley
2008-03-26, 07:47 PM
Lets see... An interesting idea would be for gods from many different cosmologies to be competing for power in this planar anomaly. Maybe have this world lie at the edge of every possible existing universe? Perhaps gods can only make themselves felt by manifesting an avatar on this world. An interesting idea would be for the only way for the the veil to be reforged is if a god gains enough followers to manifest completely on the plane. Perhaps the only way for things to get in and out Tartan is by journeying 'over the hills', which could mean any number of equally ominous things. Anyway, thats my two cents. I'll contribute as much as possible.

jagadaishio
2008-03-26, 08:55 PM
Given the idea of the Knights of Thundar each wielding a very personal, powerful magic item which they continually enhance, it would seem that a variant class based on the Soulknife is needed. At first level they would be given one or more masterwork weapons (akin to the samurai) which would gain the effects as they increased in level. Psychic Strike would just have its flavour changed to a sort of special technique which each knight develops on their own which can only be performed with their chosen weapon, with which they are as familiar as they are with their own arms.

You could also cut out one or more abilities, such as Wild Talent, Bladewind, and the special abilities which require a mind blade, such as throwing abilities, quickened manifestation, and so on. In exchange for these, you would give them a good BAB and the ability to take feats such as Weapon Specialization for their chosen weapon only as a fighter of their level. That's my two cents on what they would be mechanically.

Lord Tataraus
2008-03-26, 09:17 PM
Very well, Tartaraus. I'll play your game, you rogue.

Well, I was planning on waiting for awhile, but I got this flash of inspiration out of nowhere and it was an amazing premise, I had to do something. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I like your direction of the Knights of Thunar, the only thing I'll add is thus:

The Knights of Thunar revere and worship the god Thunar, Knight of the Silver Sword. Thunar is a Lawful Neutral god who leans toward good, but respects the personal decisions of those who choose to be evil as long as it is moderated and does not interfere with Thunar's goals. Thunar seeks to bring order and security to his followers and the world at large. The majority of his followers were in Tartan at the time of the Sundering and thus has the strongest connection to that world. Now he is more concerned with the "veilers" and returning Tartan to its original existence.

Thunar's domains are Balance, Law, Nobility, Tyrant, and War. His favored weapon is the Greatsword and his symbol is a shinning silver sword (longsword or greatsword). More elaborate symbols show a knight in shinning silver armor with white cloth brandishing a silver greatsword to the sky in victory.

Edit: Moff Chumley, nice to see some new minds! Welcome! Also, a very good idea, I never thought of, I like it...it will also produce a lot of conflict with the Knights and those who feel the old gods let this happen and turn to the new ones...

tsuuga
2008-03-26, 11:23 PM
I couldn't resist doing my own version of the map. Yeah, the swirlies look dumb =P
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9462/kingdomoftartansn1.jpg

I'm thinking Tartan should have its own version of the inner planes - which, instead of being their own place, overlay and reflect the prime material with their own theme.

Thinaun, if there is any, is the most valuable substance around. Being able to store your or a loved ones soul in hope of one day sending them to the afterlife can be literally priceless.

I think it'd be interesting for splinters of gods personalities to be trapped in with Tartan - created by the worshipers trapped there, or pulled in with the apocalypse. Or the full gods aren't able to get in, but small gods, demigods, would be gods start to arrive in droves, hoping to exploit the power vacuum into a personal domain/gain worshipers/rejoin with the main god/whatever. But there are no outer planes here, just the inner - and thus you have gods setting up shop in planes they don't control. They're vulnerable, the neighbors are too close for comfort, and the Veiled Earth Elementals or whatever just won't leave them alone. Every worshiper counts - there's only a thousand or so to go around. So there's an extremely active deific power struggle going on, and on a pretty personal level - The gods may not be any great shakes, but they know all their worshipers personally. And it's only a matter of time till one of them gets killed and comes back Veiled.

Lord Tataraus
2008-03-26, 11:45 PM
Wow, tsuuga, awesome map! I think I'll make that the official one. I was kind of rushed one mine and it didn't turn out too great at all :smallyuk: I also realized a made a bit of a mistake. #2 on the map is not Golden Fields, #3 is. #2 is Port Levith. Also, all the reddish blobs are towns/cities, the purple dots are towers, castles, forts, etc. The swirly colors are points of planar polution which leads me to what I had in mind about the effects of the sundering had on the planes:

The Veil is the very fabric that holds the planes apart, it separates and protects each plane from the others as well as absorbing vasts amounts of magical energy. Serath the Great invested a lot of time in the research of the Veil and discovered that 80% of all magical energies, both arcane and divine was absorbed by the Veil. Serath sought to unleash this power to allows the gods to reign in true power and for magic to be harnessed with ease and used to better the lives of the common man, this was a very idealistic dream, but Serath was very convincing and charismatic. As the ritual was completed the Veil began to crumble. It did not just disappear, it tore in a few places, polluting the material plane with planar essence from the closest planes. Eventually, the veil became so riped and torn that it deteriorated rapidly. Another effect began to occur, one unforeseen by Serath. Tartan began to drift away from the universe that he knew. The Veil kept the universe protected from the astral sea, reigned in, but now Tartan was free from those binds and literally was ripped off the material plane along with pieces of the other planes.

So, on Tartan, there is only one plane and all the other planes now exist together, though are heavily diluted by the material plane. Only a minute percentage of the planes exist in Tartan, except in the polluted areas. Here the planar essence flooded into Tartan drastically altering the surrounding area. The four major points of pollution came from the Plane of Shadows (near the forest in the west), the Abyss (near Serath's tower), the Plane of Radiance (near the mountains), and Celestia (in the ocean in the south). There are many other, smaller areas of pollution from the elemental planes and the energy planes among others.

tsuuga
2008-03-27, 01:40 PM
House Dathi Traders
A small group of Githyanki (or Githzerai... I forget the difference) nobles with relatively vast influence. They see Tartan's situation as an opportunity. They wish to reattach it to the multiverse as a planar hub, connected to a multitude of different planes - making it an ideal site to found a planar metropolis under their control.

Pseudonaturals
Not the epic template, obviously, but along those lines. Totally alien beings that sometimes convince or force the veiled to serve them. From conversations with their captured minions, they want to bring this severed chunk of the prime material back to wherever they come from.

So, there's some questions I'd like to hash out...

About Tartan, is it:
Totally cut off?
difficult or impossible to leave, easy to enter?
About the gods, are they:
Splinters of the true gods?
ambitious, powerful mortals or semi-divine beings (If you can win godhood on a splinter plane and then reintegrate it, you might become a real boy god)? (My personal preference)
The actual true gods?
About the planes, are they:
Truly destroyed?
missing tartan-shaped chunks?
just not accessable to Tartan

Wow, tsuuga, awesome map!
Awww, shucks :smallredface:

Lord Tataraus
2008-03-27, 02:08 PM
House Dathi Traders
A small group of Githyanki (or Githzerai... I forget the difference) nobles with relatively vast influence. They see Tartan's situation as an opportunity. They wish to reattach it to the multiverse as a planar hub, connected to a multitude of different planes - making it an ideal site to found a planar metropolis under their control.

Pseudonaturals
Not the epic template, obviously, but along those lines. Totally alien beings that sometimes convince or force the veiled to serve them. From conversations with their captured minions, they want to bring this severed chunk of the prime material back to wherever they come from.
Both interesting ideas. Though I think I used the wrong term for where Tartan is now. I said Astral Sea, but in default D&D cosmology that is within a universe. Tartan is completely detached from its original universe, in a sea of pure magical energy. This energy has recreated a tough Veil around Tartan just like how a pearl is formed around a grain of sand. All the universes are like grains of sand in this sea of magical energy and have an extremely tough Veil coating that prevents everything except the most powerful gods from influencing them. However, Tartan is special and has left over pieces of the Veil it once had which is less secure one meant to allow for some outside influence, thus any god or sufficiently powerful entity can influence Tartan though with serverely limited power. So, pseudonaturals would be aspects of great Elder EvilsTM and the Giths (whichever one) would have to spend a lot of time and energy to get into Tartan.

So, there's some questions I'd like to hash out...

About Tartan, is it:
Totally cut off?
difficult or impossible to leave, easy to enter?
About the gods, are they:
Splinters of the true gods?
ambitious, powerful mortals or semi-divine beings (If you can win godhood on a splinter plane and then reintegrate it, you might become a real boy god)? (My personal preference)
The actual true gods?
About the planes, are they:
Truly destroyed?
missing tartan-shaped chunks?
just not accessable to Tartan

I think Tartan should be impossible to enter or leave without deity-level powers. Thunar would have been drawn out with Tartan since his power is tied their, however, most of the other gods (the originals at least) would have splinters tied to Tartan. Additionally, other gods can influence the world if they wish, but at severely limited power. I developed the basis of this world with the idea that Tartan was physically ripped away from its universe along with pieces of the other planes, not entire "Tartan-shaped" pieces, but just shreds where the planes interacted with Tartan.

That's my thoughts on it, if anyone has better ideas, please post them.

Vadin
2008-03-27, 03:14 PM
The Knights of Thunar revere and worship the god Thunar, Knight of the Silver Sword. Thunar is a Lawful Neutral god who leans toward good, but respects the personal decisions of those who choose to be evil as long as it is moderated and does not interfere with Thunar's goals. Thunar seeks to bring order and security to his followers and the world at large. The majority of his followers were in Tartan at the time of the Sundering and thus has the strongest connection to that world. Now he is more concerned with the "veilers" and returning Tartan to its original existence.

Emphasis mine.

Thunar is more concerned with getting rid of his corrupted and transformed people than in saving those still alive. The Knights, however, aren't quite so avid. While they still hold acting in Thunar's stead to be the most honorable of actions, giving one's life in active pursuit of the veiled isn't as glorious as some would like to think. It has become like dieing in a foreign land for one's country. Is it admirable? Certainly. But could you have helped your family more by staying alive and becoming a local cop instead of a soldier? Probably. They still praise the Knight who fights with the fury and intensity of a thousand bygone suns, but most feel that they could do more for the living by shifting their personal focus from attack to preservation. A good Knight doesn't seek out a fight, though he is always prepared for one.

Also, might Thunar have gone a little mad? Not terribly insane or anything, but a little off-kilter? When his priests delivered their prophecies before, Thunar spoke of balance, peace, and moderation. Now, he speaks of balance through purity, purging the unclean and cherishing what remains. Where once was a god of peace is now a god of justice.

Most people wouldn't realize this, of course, but its just enough of a change that the highest ranking Knights now seek to tentatively discourage Knights also being a part of the clergy in very subtle ways. None are sure what might happen to the city's untainted survivors if Thunar were to command an all-out crusade against the Veiled.

"Page, why that robe? It'll be awfully hard to ride your new horse with that on, won't it? And how on Tartan will you reach your scabbard with that belt, boy? Come now, I've got to teach you some lessons. Clearly, you're more than a little out of practice with that mace of yours, lad!"

Moff Chumley
2008-03-29, 12:23 PM
Alright, I'm going to develop my competing deities idea-
The veil surrounding Tartan is of such a significant strength that nothing can get in or out-except for deities. Any deity can gain access. However, not even the most powerful deities can manifest with any degree of power: When deity chooses to create an avatar on Tartan, he inhabits the body of the next baby born. ((This could tie in to The Veiled)) The child grows up unaware of his deific status, but inevitably becomes a powerful adventurer and champion of a cause. They will inevitably draw followers. Please note, up till that point, aside from standard power gained from adventuring, the avatar possess no special power. However, as soon as he starts to gain followers, he rapidly gains power. (Say, a divine rank for every fifty to one hundred fervid followers) Within a few decades, Tartan is dominated by several powerful deities and their small army of followers (The only reliable methods of Spellcasting are via worshiping a deity present on Tartan (clerics), drawing power from the rifts in reality (Warlocks), channeling the essence of Veiled Ones (Binders) or using the Veil itself (shadowcasters). The only way for Tartan to rejoin the rest of existence is via a deity's domain.

Lord Tataraus
2008-03-30, 12:08 AM
Actually Moff, Binder's magic can breach any boundary since vestiges are completely removed from all time and space and, well, existence. Also, that kind of ties into the special oil the knight used in the opening fluff.

Oil of Atanimus
Cost: 50gp/oz
This oil looks like normal lamp oil, yet has a faint scent of ashes. The oil acts as normal lamp oil except it produces green and purple flames instead of red and yellow. Additionally, any corpse burned with the oil within 1 hour of death has its former soul completely destroyed, wiped from existence and becomes a vestige.