PDA

View Full Version : elemental domains

koldstare
2008-03-26, 11:11 PM
Quick question:

Does having a cleric with an elemental domain (ex given:fire) allow you to turn only elementals or is it anything with that subtype say an azer or a fire giant?

Innis Cabal
2008-03-26, 11:12 PM
It says elementals

koldstare
2008-03-26, 11:17 PM
Turn or destroy water creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster fire creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.

It says creatures not elementals

RTGoodman
2008-03-27, 12:15 AM
Well, it does indeed say "creatures," so I think with a strict reading you'd be able to (with the Fire domain, for instance) turn anything with the Water subtype (Black Dragons, etc) and rebuke or command any creature with the Fire subtype (like a Red Dragon).

koldstare
2008-03-27, 01:05 AM
Thats what I was thinking, but It seemed a bit overpowered to me. Then again since when is the cleric balanced.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-27, 01:26 AM
Pretty sure the ability of Fire clerics to rebuke and control small red dragons was explicitly brought up in some WotC supplement.

Ascension
2008-03-27, 01:47 AM
...just when you thought it was safe to have an elemental subtype...

Seriously, though, thanks for pointing that out. I was misremembering it myself. Not that I've ever seen a cleric with an elemental domain, mind you...

koldstare
2008-03-27, 02:10 AM
I was only wondering because I will be playing a Cleric//Druid of Obad-Hai (gestalt the ultimate CoDZilla) starting at level 3 True Neutral with the spontaneous inflicter feat for one spontaneously cast cure, inflict and summon spells

koldstare
2008-03-27, 03:32 AM
Pretty sure the ability of Fire clerics to rebuke and control small red dragons was explicitly brought up in some WotC supplement.

does anyone know which supplement this is. The dragon domain lets your specifically rebuke dragons, but thats not what im going for

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-27, 03:48 AM
does anyone know which supplement this is. The dragon domain lets your specifically rebuke dragons, but thats not what im going for

I'd suggest checking out Draconomicon, Dragon Magic, and Dragons of Faerūn, if you have them available.

It's not really relevant, though, since the text of the rules is clear enough. Red dragons are "fire creatures" ( = creatures with the fire subtype), black dragons are "water creatures", and so on.

Chronos
2008-03-27, 11:05 AM
Thats what I was thinking, but It seemed a bit overpowered to me. Then again since when is the cleric balanced.Eh, most folks encounter creatures with a particular elemental subtype a lot less often than they encounter undead, and Turn Undead is already not a very useful ability (at least, not in itself, disregarding all the other things you can do with Turn Undead uses). It's nice at low levels, when you've got a first-level cleric clearing out the zombie and skeleton riffraff, but at higher levels, you quickly reach the point where level-appropriate undead have much more HD than you have levels, and turning is based on the creatures' HD. So while a level 1 cleric can typically turn several CR 1 zombies, a level 10 cleric will have a very hard time turning even a single CR 10 zombie.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-27, 11:06 PM
Exactly. Looking at plain elementals, they all have much more HD than their CR. A CR 11 elder elemental has 24 HD. You need to be 20th level to rebuke that, and at 20th level an elder elemental is pretty irrelevant.