PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking equipment

senrath
2008-03-27, 07:10 AM
Alright, I'm making a 2nd level Crusader for a campaign I'm in, and I need some help with equipment. The thing is, I'm trying to make him "crazy prepared". For those who have never read TvTropes, I want him to be the guy that has something for pretty much every situation, almost to the point of ridiculousness. I already have the following gear, and can hold about 30-40 lbs more stuff.

Caltrops
Marbles
Manacles
Tanglefoot bags
Silk rope
Grappling hook
Signal Whistle
Small Steel Mirror
Empty flasks
Crowbar
Flour
Chalk

I have about 750 gold left to spend.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-27, 07:18 AM
Ok, start with a masterwork weapon. Buy a chain shirt. Now you're down by about 450.

Next: How do you carry all that stuff? Backpack, belt pouches.

Get some Sunrods (unless you have dark vision).

Ink, Inkpen and parchment always come in handy as well.

senrath
2008-03-27, 07:20 AM
Eh, sorry, forgot to mention that I already have a masterwork weapon and some armor.

And I have a backpack, some pouches, and an Explorers outfit.

PollyOliver
2008-03-27, 08:44 AM
I don't know where your campaign is taking place, but a cold weather outfit? Winter blanket? Hammocks and bedrolls are also always useful. And soap. You can never go wrong with soap.

I also like to pick up some lard, as you can use it to grease floors. A hacksaw can also come in handy. Metal tongs, as well, if you want to pick things up without touching them. Rubber balls are also always useful--I like to pick up several of them. Having someone cast light on them before you throw them down the long hallway often makes them even more so. Ten foot poles are standard for a reason (or you could pick up the longer, telescoping version), and twine is always good for random things.

Also, and this is completely random, but if I've got extra money and am still well below encumbrance at character creation, I like to pick up stuff to cook with. It doesn't come up very often, but having a pot, a couple of knives, utensils, and spices is useful when your ranger or druid is survival-ing the party across the countryside and your DM actually cares what you're doing with the weird food he came up with. Or when you meet up with someone on the road and invite them to eat as part of a diplomacy check--wine comes in handy there as well. There's a pretty good food table in the old Arms and Equipment Guide that I like to use.

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-27, 08:57 AM
Make sure you've got at least two weapons, preferably ones that deal different types of damage. After all, Skeletons are vulnerable to bludgeoning, while Zombies are vulnerable to slashing.

Xefas
2008-03-27, 08:58 AM
I like to pick up a wooden holy symbol regardless of whether I'm a cleric or not.

You never know when you'll need to hold back a Vampire. Plus you can stake him with it afterwards. Not to mention some holy symbols might make a serviceable improvised weapon...

senrath
2008-03-27, 09:08 AM
I like to pick up a wooden holy symbol regardless of whether I'm a cleric or not.

You never know when you'll need to hold back a Vampire. Plus you can stake him with it afterwards. Not to mention some holy symbols might make a serviceable improvised weapon...

Already have a couple, since I need one as a Crusader.

And I'll take those other suggestions into consideration. I think this character is gonna be fun :P

Telonius
2008-03-27, 09:08 AM
Very good start on the list. You have a lot of things I usually stash away already.

Here's some other equipment you might want to consider

Everburning torch. The most important thing you've missed is a light source. Get one.
Whetstone. For sharpening your sword. Nevermind that there are no rules for sharpening a weapon. If you're going for realism, you'll want this.
Candles. Never know when you need one.
Pitons. Good for climbing.
Hammer. For pounding in pitons.
Ink, Inkpen and Parchment. I'll second that idea.
Flint and Steel. You don't always have a ready source of fire.
Skill kits. Climber's Kit and Thieves' tools are at the top of the list.
Trade goods. One pound of salt, one pound of pepper, one pound of cinnamon. Commoners will like you if you spice up their gruel.
Wine. DMs have been known to give bonuses to Gather Information if you get the guard drunk.

Ceaon
2008-03-27, 09:13 AM
Get a towel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#The_origin_of_t he_towel_joke).
And also, buy a secondary melee weapon and a ranged weapon. Never bad.

PollyOliver
2008-03-27, 10:49 AM
Very good start on the list. You have a lot of things I usually stash away already.

Here's some other equipment you might want to consider

Everburning torch. The most important thing you've missed is a light source. Get one.
Whetstone. For sharpening your sword. Nevermind that there are no rules for sharpening a weapon. If you're going for realism, you'll want this.
Candles. Never know when you need one.
Pitons. Good for climbing.
Hammer. For pounding in pitons.

If you have enough money to go the everburning torch route, I heard a really interesting idea once (I think on these forums?) about that. If you have continual flame cast on something small, like a button, and sew it into the inside of an empty belt pouch, you can turn it inside out or back to normal to use it or block the light. Plus, if it's on your belt, it's hands-free. On that note, a needle and thread are always useful. And fishhooks.

Also, if do you pick up a hammer and pitons, I'd also grab some metal spikes. You can use them to spike doors and hatches shut to control what enemies can get to you when.

Kol Korran
2008-03-27, 11:29 AM
crazy prepared for anything, eh? i know there was some equipment for wrestling alligators on an iceberg. somewhere...

(there isn't realy, but there's a virtual trained chocolate stirge in it for anyone who can find the reference... shouldn't be too hard realy)

Adumbration
2008-03-27, 11:50 AM
Get winterblanket, and when an enemy seems overpowering, use it as a net.

Hey, my DM allowed it. Although it did miss and got burned by a steam mephit.

Subotei
2008-03-27, 12:05 PM
Did anyone mention oil yet?
Hollow tube - think snorkel
Carry plenty of daggers - make improvised pitons, wedges etc and can stab people with them.
An axe or hatchet - better for chopping firewood than your greatsword. Alternatively carry a dwarf.
A false treasure map - so that you stand a chance of getting your gear back when the thief that stole it tries to dig up your tame wizard's lawn...
Sacks - for the treasure or for hooding people.
Lodestone
Waterskins
A sling is a good backup missile weapon - cuts down your need to carry as much ammo (in most situations), weighs nothing and anyone can use one.
Beads and trinkets - trade goods again.
Spare clothes
Waterproof tarp of some kind

Hal
2008-03-27, 12:27 PM
Get an Earthsilk Jersey (Races of Stone). For 150gp, you get DR 1/Bludgeoning, Slashing that you can wear under your armor.

Granted, it only protects against Piercing damage, and a critical hit from a piercing weapon ruins the shirt until it is repaired, but it's a cheap DR 1.

Frosty
2008-03-27, 01:21 PM
How much less mundane equipment would a high level wizard need? A lot of mundane things can be done with magic after all.

senrath
2008-03-27, 03:54 PM
Alright, thanks everyone. I've finalized my list. And I'm still staying away from ranged combat, seeing as I have a negative dexterity modifier and it's a large party.

holywhippet
2008-03-27, 04:08 PM
Don't forget potions of cure light wounds. I'm not familiar with the crusader class, do they have healing spells in their class list? If so, forget the potions and go for scrolls instead. You could also just buy a wand of cure light wounds but it will chew up your remaining 750 gold.

senrath
2008-03-27, 04:13 PM
Don't forget potions of cure light wounds. I'm not familiar with the crusader class, do they have healing spells in their class list? If so, forget the potions and go for scrolls instead. You could also just buy a wand of cure light wounds but it will chew up your remaining 750 gold.

Every time I hit an enemy I heal 2 points. And I can give myself temporary HP just by swinging at an enemy.

Frosty
2008-03-27, 04:13 PM
Crusaders do not cast spells. They hit people to heal their allies.