PDA

View Full Version : New guy wanting to learn...

Spaggo
2008-03-27, 08:58 AM
Hey guys,

This is my second post (first was to say hello) and what I want to say is...

I'm very new at tabletop/ play by post. A long time ago I played tabletop with some friends for a few weeks. Not long enough to learn the in's and out's of D&D but it was really fun. Years later (as in a week ago) I talked my brother who was a very avid player and DM for D&D, Earthdawn and Werewolf I believe into creating a campaign for us to play. He told me we should play Earthdawn since I was new at it and the rules were simpler than D&D. so my wife and I and his girl friend all made characters and started that night. I was amazed at how quickly he came up with a storyline off the top of his head. But what really sucks is he isd long distance so we cant play as often as I'd like. So I came here to try to get my fix.

Now that i told you what brought me here I'll tell you what I'm looking for. Since I'm new to the Tabletop/play by post life I was wondering if there is anyone who could help me with possibly getting into a game. even if its for newbies like me. I basicly want to learn the ropes of the game/s. So if there is any one out there who remembers what it was like to be new at anything please let me know if there is an available game or if some one could teach me the ropes. you can PM me or AIM me at "iamkatieholmes".

thanks for hearing me out

Spaggo.

Duke of URL
2008-03-27, 09:04 AM
Check out the Play by Post (PbP) sub-forum at this very site. There are sometimes new games starting up tailored specifically for beginner-level players -- if there isn't one currently recruiting, there likely will be one soon.

Solo
2008-03-27, 09:06 AM
Hmm.... I can't help get you in a game, but I can PM you a newbie guide I am working on.

Spaggo
2008-03-27, 09:08 AM
That would work for me Solo.

thanks.

RTGoodman
2008-03-27, 09:58 AM
Another thing to do if you have a chance is just go hang at out your FLGS (favorite local gaming store). I'd say there's a good chance that anytime you go there, there's someone either just hanging out or actually working who knows (at the very least) D&D and would be willing to help you out. I don't know anything about Earthdawn, but there's a chance someone there might and could help you.

For me, just having someone go over the basics for me and then reading through the rulebooks was enough to get started in a game, where you can learn as you go. You can do this online or "in the real world," but I think it's a good way to get introduced to table-top RPGs.

Spaggo
2008-03-27, 03:04 PM
I dont know any stores like that around me...