PDA

View Full Version : The Quick And Dirty Sonic Might Reference Book

SamTheCleric
2008-03-27, 07:43 PM
The following are all offensive spells that qualify for the Lyric Thaumaturge's Sonic Might ability. I did not include any beneficial spells/buffs as you would not want to harm yourself or your friends... I hope. :smallwink:

Included are only Bard spells up to 6th level as well as Sorcerer/Wizard spells up to 6th level that a Lyric Thaumaturge could use their Spell Secret ability to obtain.

Player's Handbook

Animal Trance - Bard 2
Enthrall - Bard 2
Shatter - Bard 2
Shout - Bard 4
Greater Shout - Bard 6
Song of Discord - Bard 5
Sound Burst - Bard 2
Sympathetic Vibration - Bard 6

Complete Mage

Caterwaul - Bard 2
Channeled Sound Blast - Bard 5
Deafening Blast - Bard 3
Death's Call - Sorc/Wiz 1
Discordant Malediction - Bard 5
Interminable Echo - Bard 4
Painful Echoes - Bard 2
Resonating Agony - Bard 6
Resounding Thunder - Bard 4

Spell Compendium

Amplify - Bard 1
Cacophonic Burst - Bard 5
Cacophonic Shield - Bard 4
Celebration - Bard 4
Creaking Cacophony - Bard 3
Dirge - Bard 6
Disquietude - Bard 2
Dissonant Chant - Bard 2
Dissonant Cord - Bard 3
Distort Speech - Bard 1
Energy Spheres - Sorc/Wiz 4
Fugue - Bard 4
G'elsewhere Chant - Bard 3
Great Thunderclap - Sorc/Wiz 3
Haunting Tune - Bard 3
Herald's Call - Bard 1
Hymn of Praise - Bard 3
Infernal Threnody - Bard 3
Ironthunder Horn - Bard 1
Nightmare Lullaby - Bard 2
Orb of Sound - Sorc/Wiz 4
Orb of Sound, Lesser - Sorc/Wiz 1
Shatterfloor - Sorc/Wiz 3
Sonic Blast - Sorc/Wiz 1
Sonic Rumble - Sorc/Wiz 5
Sonic Whip - Bard 2
Sound Lance - Sorc/Wiz 3
Stone Shatter - Bard 4
Wounding Whispers - Bard 3

Disclaimer: There may very well be more spells than this. I only looked in the PHB, PHB II, Complete Mage, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Champion and Spell Compendium. Most of the other book's spell lists are included in the SpC. I do not own any of the campaign specific sourcebooks released after the SpC's release.

Gazareth
2008-03-27, 09:32 PM
Bound to be very useful to someone, good job compiling it.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-27, 09:36 PM
I was writing them down anyway... and thought "hey, I bet someone else would like this too."

:)

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-27, 10:05 PM
Just one thing though:

Bard 5/Mindbender 1/Lyric Thaumaturge 4/Sublime Chord x/Lyric Thaumaturge Y.

You can use the ability on spells of higher then 6th level.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-27, 10:13 PM
Sure, if you want to be all sublime and what not... :smalltongue:

Maybe I'll get around to adding in the higher level ones :)

namo
2008-03-28, 10:12 AM
Lyric Thaumaturge is very specific about progressing bard casting - Sublime Chord doesn't work.

If you want a list of [Sonic] spells, the best is to a search there (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php). I'm not sure all sonic spells make sense (how does it work with Amplify ?), I think it was meant for the spells that already do damage.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-28, 10:15 AM
It may have been meant for spells that already do damage, but it doesn't state that in the ability. It just states that any spell with the [sonic] descriptor can get the extra damage.

Amplify and Enthrall are both spells with the sonic descriptor that don't deal damage themself... but they can be used with sonic might to hurt those affected.

Darrin
2008-03-28, 10:58 AM
Maybe I'll get around to adding in the higher level ones :)

If you add the Born of Three Thunders feat, any spell with an [acid/cold/electricity/fire] descriptor that does damage can be converted to an [electricity/sonic] spell and then get the extra sonic damage.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-28, 11:28 AM
Lyric Thaumaturge is very specific about progressing bard casting - Sublime Chord doesn't work.

But you can take enough levels of Sublime Chord to get access to 7-(maybe)9th level spells and still get the Lyric Thaum ability.

Darrin
2008-03-28, 11:41 AM
But you can take enough levels of Sublime Chord to get access to 7-(maybe)9th level spells and still get the Lyric Thaum ability.

It's difficult. The best you can do is one 9th level spell. You can't qualify for Lyric Thaumaturge until ECL 6, and you don't get Sonic Might until LT 5, which puts you at ECL 11. At that point you get into Sublime Chord at ECL 12, which means you miss your last spellcasting level of Sublime Chord. A sample build:

Bard 6/Lyric Thaumaturge 5/Sublime Chord 2/Something-Full-Caster +7

SamTheCleric
2008-03-28, 11:41 AM
An interesting thing about enthrall... It has no limit to the number of people it targets. Theoretically, you could sonic might everyone listening to you in a medium range for 2d6 damage. Evil Bards could slaughter whole legions of commoners at a time.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-28, 11:58 AM
It's difficult. The best you can do is one 9th level spell. You can't qualify for Lyric Thaumaturge until ECL 6, and you don't get Sonic Might until LT 5, which puts you at ECL 11. At that point you get into Sublime Chord at ECL 12, which means you miss your last spellcasting level of Sublime Chord. A sample build:

Bard 6/Lyric Thaumaturge 5/Sublime Chord 2/Something-Full-Caster +7

Yes I know, but I was just suggesting that he should cover spells up to 9th level, since it is possible to get them.

Though as you can see my build earlier was:

Bard 5/Mindbender 1/Lyric Thaum 4/Sublime Chord 9/Lyric Thaum 1

Darrin
2008-03-28, 11:58 AM
An interesting thing about enthrall... It has no limit to the number of people it targets. Theoretically, you could sonic might everyone listening to you in a medium range for 2d6 damage. Evil Bards could slaughter whole legions of commoners at a time.

2d6? Can you use Sonic Might to spend multiple bardic music for multiple d6 damage? If so, why are you stopping at 2d6? (Sonic Might also doesn't mention what kind of action it is... move, swift, immediate, etc.?)

Darrin
2008-03-28, 12:00 PM
Bard 5/Mindbender 1/Lyric Thaum 4/Sublime Chord 9/Lyric Thaum 1

That works, although why are you waiting until ECL 20 for Sonic Might? Seems like it'd be a rather mediocre capstone ability at that point. As it is, having to wait until ECL 11 before it kicks in makes it seem like a pretty underpowered ability.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-28, 12:02 PM
2d6? Can you use Sonic Might to spend multiple bardic music for multiple d6 damage? If so, why are you stopping at 2d6? (Sonic Might also doesn't mention what kind of action it is... move, swift, immediate, etc.?)

It's 1d6 per level of the spell. Enthrall is a level 2 bard spell.

Darrin
2008-03-28, 01:31 PM
It's 1d6 per level of the spell. Enthrall is a level 2 bard spell.

Aha. Missed that. Still leaves the question of what type of action (probably free action, like Arcane Strike) and if you can burn multiple Bardic Music to add more damage.