PDA

View Full Version : Cake or Pie? (a question of which one, or neither)

DrizztFan24
2008-03-27, 10:05 PM
So I have been iching to play a batman wizard for awhile and I also want to play an artificer. If I were not allowed to gestalt would it be a better option to go with a mainly wizardly guy with a few artificer abilities thrown in or an artificer with a wizardly spellcasting? I was thinking the artificer with the wizardly spellcasting because I would only lose a familiar, but I can craft the mini spy homonulus to take over that role (expeditious messenger right?) .

Right? wrong? wayy overpowered?

Solo
2008-03-27, 10:08 PM
The Cake is a Lie!

UglyPanda
2008-03-27, 10:18 PM
Red vs. Blue fan? Either way is really strong.

Unless you make a Dedicated Wright, you'll need a lot of downtime to be an Artificer. It's also more bookkeeping, but the good news is that you can also cast spells from any spell list.

People often don't use familiars. They also tend to PrC out of Wizard before level 8. Incantatrix and IoSFV are the most famous, but if you don't want to overshadow your fellow players, you can go with Loremaster and Archmage.

Thinker
2008-03-27, 10:18 PM
The Cake is a Lie!

The cake is not a lie. March 15th I had tasty, tasty cake. Mmmm cake.

DementedFellow
2008-03-27, 10:23 PM
Artificer seriously is the clear cut choice.

Someone has their signature saying that Artificer is the guy who shows up with power armer and a laser cannon while everyone else is a medieval setting.

You can also effectively gain access to a Wizard or a Cleric's spell level two levels sooner than they can. A third level Artificer can make a scroll of fireball at third level whereas a Wizard has to wait until 5th level until he can cast it reliably.

So depending on your starting level (anything over 5) the clear cut choice is artificer. Especially a warforged artificer.

DrizztFan24
2008-03-27, 10:24 PM
Red vs. Blue fan?

O heck yes! :smallwink:

So maybe it should depend on the group huh?

I mainly play with my siblings (ages 11 and 13) so they arent terribly....wonderful...at feat selection and such, so I think maybe artificer first.

Rutee
2008-03-27, 10:25 PM
The Cake is a Pie!
Fixed that for you.

Squash Monster
2008-03-27, 10:49 PM
Someone has their signature saying that Artificer is the guy who shows up with power armer and a laser cannon while everyone else is a medieval setting.They quoted it from me, too. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

But yes, play Artificer.