PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] The Metagamer - Check it out!

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-28, 04:01 AM
The Metagamer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Mathematic Vision, Know The Knowledge

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Min-Maxer

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Forgot To Write That Down, Mathematic Vision 2/day

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Min-Maxer 2/day

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Emergency d20s

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Mathematic Vision + Min-Maxer 4/day

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|That Landed On A 20

8th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Mathematic Vision + Min-Maxer 8/day

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Just Look At My Sheet

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Improved Mathematic Vision[/table]

There are those who devote themselves to the art of swordplay. There are those who master the arcane arts of magic. There are those who strive to fulfill the wishes of their deities, or to bump uglies... I mean, smite evil. And then there are those who realise that they live within a role-playing game, governed by simple mathematical laws. These “metagamers” discover the basic rules of their universe in the form of three tomes, known only as the PHB, DMG and MM. They scribe the very essence of their being onto a scrap of parchment known as a “character sheet”. Finally, they learn to evade death and succeed impossibly by fooling the god of this universe, the “DM”.
Hit Die: d6

Requirements
To qualify to become a metagamer, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
Knowledge (Metagaming): Must be trained in this skill (1 rank).
Sleight of Hand: 8 ranks.
Bluff: 8 ranks.
Special: A metagamer must level in this class without being noticed by the DM. This takes a Sleight of Hand check DC 15 + the level which the metagamer is about to receive. This check must be rolled, not taken 10 or 20. If failed the metagamer cannot level this class for a week (the XP is not lost, but no metagamer leveling can take place for the week).

Class Skills
The metagamer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex), Knowledge (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Profession (Wis), Speak Language and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the metagamer prestige class.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Metagamers are proficient with all simple weaponry and light armour, but not shields.

Mathematic Vision (Su): Once per day, the metagamer can discover the value of any number. This includes numbers such as DCs, ACs, current or max hit points, nonlethal damage, etc. The DM decides if she will give the requested number. If the DM decides not to give the number, the ability is not lost, but the character will not learn the number. At 3rd, 6th and 8th level the number of Mathematic Visions per day doubles (2 Visions at 3rd level, 4 Visions at 6th level, and 8 at 8th). This ability is useful to see the DC of climbing a wall to decide whether to attempt the climb, to see an enemy's hit points to decide whether to use a powerful spell or just stab him a few times, or to learn the AC of an enemy to decide whether to bother trying to hit him in the first place.

Know The Knowledge (Ex): A metagamer can use metagaming knowledge without penalty if he succeeds on a Knowledge (Metagaming) check (DC set by DM). This includes only PHB knowledge. To use DMG or MM knowledge the metagamer must also make a Sleight of Hand check, DC 15. Other source books also need a Sleight of Hand check, DC 18. This can be used to find the damage dice for a weapon, a monster's weakness, or the capacity of a Bag of Holding.

Min-Maxer (Ex): At 2nd level, the metagamer gains the ability to switch around the ability numbers on his character sheet. This allows him to, for instance, move most of his ability scores into Strength to pull open a stuck door, into Intelligence to formulate a cunning plan, into Constitution if he meets an enemy with a poisonous attack, or into Dexterity to pick an Amazing lock. The switch lasts for 1 minute. This switch can only be made with a successful Sleight of Hand check. The DC is 10 plus the number of ability points being moved. If you fail the check, you still lose the ability, but your stats will not be switched. You cannot create ability points with this ability. They must be taken from one ability to add to another. You cannot decrease an ability to below 10, or to more than double its original value. This ability can be used once per hour. At 4th, 6th and 8th level this number doubles. (2 Min-Maxers at 4th level, 4 Min-Maxers at 6th level, and 8 at 8th).

Forgot To Write That Down (Ex): At 3rd level, the metagamer gains the ability to completely ignore the effects of a single action, including attacks made against the metagamer, spells cast at them, and area spells containing them. To do this, the metagamer must make a Bluff check, DC 15+10% of the damage the metagamer wishes to ignore. Level drain is 100 damage per level. Ability drains are 50 damage per point. If the check succeeds, the metagamer “forgets” to write the damage, negative levels, ability drain, or other effect on his character sheet, completely negating the action taken against him. If the check is failed, the DM realises. The metagamer is not forced to fix his character sheet, but he cannot use the ability again that day. The metagamer may otherwise continue to use this ability all day, but the Bluff DC increases by +4 for each use. The DC returns to normal the next day. This ability can only be used once per encounter.

Emergency d20s (Ex): At 5th level, the metagamer procures a set of dice. He can use these to reroll any roll he makes. He can reroll only once, and must use the reroll, even if it is lower. This ability can be used once per hour. If his dice are lost or stolen, this ability is lost until he can find some new dice.

That Landed On A 20 (Ex): At 7th level, the metagamer gains the ability to take 20 on any d20 roll, without taking 20 times as long. He does this by rotating the d20 before the GM has a chance to see it. This requires a Bluff check, DC decided by DM, and a Sleight of Hand check, DC 15 plus the difference between 20 and the normally rolled number. If he succeeds, he has taken 20 for free. If he fails either check, he cannot use the ability again for a week. Like Forgot To Write That Down, the DC increases by +4 for every use. The +4 to DC is removed after a week. This ability can be used for any d20 roll, except for the roll used to use the ability in the first place.

Just Look At My Sheet (Su): At 9th level, the metagamer gains the ability to change all character sheets. This takes a Sleight of Hand check DC 20:

{table=head]Change|DC Modifier
Current HP|+1 per 5 points
Max HP|+2 per point
Saving Throw|+1 per point
Initiative|+1 per point
Skill|+4 per rank
Ability|+5 per point
Feat|+12 per feat
Spells Per Day|+5 per spell
Spells Known|+10 per spell
Languages|+4 per language
Nonlethal|+1 per 10 points
Ammunition|+1 per 5 shots
Alignment|+5 per step
Role Playing|-5
Other Change|Ask Your DM
Someone Else's Sheet|+10
[/table]

Your current HP cannot exceed your maximum. Adding to a saving throw or initiative takes the form of a temporary modifier. An alignment step is changing one axis by one point (LE to LN, CG to NG, TN to NG). Role Playing changes include name, hair colour, skin colour, and such. You can change the character sheet for any player or monster, with a +10 DC penalty. If the other player is willing to have their sheet changed, you do not take the +10 penalty. For every additional use of this ability +4 is added to the DC. If you succeed at the check, whatever change you requested is made. If you fail, you cannot use the ability again for a month. The additional change +4 penalty is removed a month after it is applied. After using this ability you must make a Bluff check each day the change is to remain, with a +2 to DC for each additional day.

Improved Mathematic Vision (Sp): At 10th level, the metagamer gains this extended form of Mathematic Vision. This ability is cast like True Seeing. When cast, the metagamer can see the numbers for things he merely looks at. This Vision lasts for 1 minute. A disallowed number does not end the Vision. Using this ability counts as two regular Mathematic Visions, so the metagamer only gets four.

This is my first homebrew, so it's probably awfully unbalanced. Please provide constructive criticism!

appending_doom
2008-03-28, 05:22 AM
My first response is that the DCs are much too low. If you want this to be a Sleight-of-Hand dependent class, you have to realize that no self-respecting character would be capable of failing almost all of these checks. You don't want to have Truenamer-level difficulties (because of encounter and day limits on these abilities), but these should be scaled up. The check to advance in the class is cute and more appropriate difficulty than most of the class abilities.

As an example, at 20th level, it is a DC 30 Sleight of Hand check to cause an opponent to lose access to Power Attack. There are many fighters and melee characters that this could completely cripple.

And DC 25 to cause a Paladin to completely lose his powers?

These need to be scaled up.

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-28, 05:25 AM
My first response is that the DCs are much too low. If you want this to be a Sleight-of-Hand dependent class, you have to realize that no self-respecting character would be capable of failing almost all of these checks. You don't want to have Truenamer-level difficulties (because of encounter and day limits on these abilities), but these should be scaled up. The check to advance in the class is cute and more appropriate difficulty than most of the class abilities.

As an example, at 20th level, it is a DC 30 Sleight of Hand check to cause an opponents to lose access to Power Attack. There are many fighters and melee characters that this could completely cripple.

And DC 25 to cause a Paladin to completely lose his powers?

These need to be scaled up.

Thanks for the help, Appending_Doom. Will fix the DCs tomorrow.

TheGrimace
2008-03-28, 08:22 AM
your reflex save appears to be confused...

and all second levels saves are x...

Magnor Criol
2008-03-28, 09:56 AM
My roommate jokes about a feat his old gaming group has as a running gag called "Immune to That". With it, anytime the DM tries to throw something at you - like, say, an acid trap? "Oh, I'm immune to that." And you're squeaky clean.

Seems like it'd fit well with this class. =p

Anyhow, nice job overall. Funny stuff. :D I like the Know the Knowledge and Forgot to Write That Down abilities.

Oh, typo - you say that they get 2 uses of Min-Maxer at "4rd" level.

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-28, 04:40 PM
There we go. Fixed DCs and typos. Please continue to criticize!

Animefunkmaster
2008-03-28, 04:56 PM
why not 1/2 bab, why not normal save progressions?

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-28, 05:06 PM
What are the normal save progressions? :smallconfused:

Animefunkmaster
2008-03-28, 05:25 PM
Level: Full BAB_Medium BAB_1/2 BAB_Good Save_Bad Save
1____1_______0__________0_______2_________0
2____2_______1__________1_______3_________0
3____3_______2__________1_______3_________1
4____4_______3__________2_______4_________1
5____5_______3__________2_______4_________1
6____6/1_____4__________3_______5_________2
7____7/2_____5__________3_______5_________2
8____8/3_____6/1________4_______6_________2
9____9/4_____6/1________4_______6_________3
10___10/5____7/2________5_______7_________3

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-28, 05:52 PM
Changed to regular save progressions.

Pie Guy
2008-03-28, 06:40 PM
Finally! I can play Red Mage from 8 Bit Theater!

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-28, 09:19 PM
Finally! I can play Red Mage from 8 Bit Theater!

Yeah, that's why I put in the ability switcher and "Emergency d20s"! :smallsmile:

Paragon Badger
2008-03-28, 09:24 PM
I knew a guy who 'rolled' so many 20s, that he once exclaimed, "I got an actual 20!"

It soon became a running gag among that group.

Charlie Kemek
2008-03-28, 10:06 PM
why does this class have a BAB requirement? also, if I am reading this wrong, but can't this class be entered by a 3 level ranger? or do knowledge (any) not work that way. also, make it Knowledge (metagaming), instead.

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-28, 10:41 PM
why does this class have a BAB requirement? also, if I am reading this wrong, but can't this class be entered by a 3 level ranger? or do knowledge (any) not work that way. also, make it Knowledge (metagaming), instead.

Not sure about the BAB requirement... Good knowledge idea! Thanks!

Charlie Kemek
2008-03-29, 09:09 AM
also, the main skill this class uses is SoH, and you only need 5 ranks? make it 10, and get rid of the MS rank requirement, he never uses it.

TRM
2008-03-29, 03:46 PM
also, the main skill this class uses is SoH, and you only need 5 ranks? make it 10, and get rid of the MS rank requirement, he never uses it.
Agreed. I don't think anyone except wizards (who can take all knowledge skills as class skills) would be able to get 10 ranks in Knowledge (metagaming) before 17th level.

Formatting:
On the class table, it's clearer if it reads #/day rather than x ability.
For example:
Instead of:
{table]4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Forgot To Write That Down, 2 Visions[/table]

Clearer is:
{table]4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Forgot To Write That Down, Mathematic Vision 2/day.[/table]
:smallsmile:

Magnor Criol
2008-03-29, 03:59 PM
Agreed. I don't think anyone except wizards (who can take all knowledge skills as class skills) would be able to get 10 ranks in Knowledge (metagaming) before 17th level.

Bard, too, gets all knowledge skills.

TRM
2008-03-29, 04:13 PM
Bard, too, gets all knowledge skills.
And since Sleight of Hand isn't a wizard class skill, only bards can practically qualify for this class.

I'm confused about Just Look at My Sheet. He can use it as often as he wants, but every time the DC increases by +4 and the base DC remains 4 higher until a month has passed?
That seems awkward somehow, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm not sure if these are actually unbalanced or it just me, but you might want to look at those again... :smallfrown:
I see a couple of other things like that (specifically Forgot to Write That Down and Landed on a Twenty).

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-29, 06:12 PM
And since Sleight of Hand isn't a wizard class skill, only bards can practically qualify for this class.

I'm confused about Just Look at My Sheet. He can use it as often as he wants, but every time the DC increases by +4 and the base DC remains 4 higher until a month has passed?
That seems awkward somehow, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm not sure if these are actually unbalanced or it just me, but you might want to look at those again... :smallfrown:
I see a couple of other things like that (specifically Forgot to Write That Down and Landed on a Twenty).

Decreased the Knowledge requirement.

Just Look at My Sheet gets more difficult as the DM gets more suspicious. If a metagamer fails the check the ability can't be used for a month, after which the DM is no longer suspicious. The other abilities do the same, except that they can be used after a day or a week instead, because they are weaker abilities.

Arbitrarity
2008-03-29, 06:38 PM
The sole issue I can think of is people really min-maxing their sleight of hand.

How long does Just Look at my sheet last? If it's permanent, there's a problem. For example, use it to add +4 to sleight of hand, if you can make DC 40.

There is no cap on points moved with min-maxer? I detect an issue.

Can you use these abilities to fuel themselves? For example, that Landed on a 20 to aid in using Forgot to write that down?

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-29, 06:46 PM
I'd call it "the Munchkin" instead of "the Metagamer." It seems to be more fitting. A Metagamer just unfairly uses knowledge of the game around him, while a Munchkin is more varied in how he/she cheats.

Arbitrarity
2008-03-29, 07:02 PM
Actually, a Powergamer or Min-max class would be cool. Hmmmm....

No overt cheating... so how do you do it..

Ooh, commandments of optimization!

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-29, 07:09 PM
The sole issue I can think of is people really min-maxing their sleight of hand.

How long does Just Look at my sheet last? If it's permanent, there's a problem. For example, use it to add +4 to sleight of hand, if you can make DC 40.

There is no cap on points moved with min-maxer? I detect an issue.

Can you use these abilities to fuel themselves? For example, that Landed on a 20 to aid in using Forgot to write that down?

Oh dear. I'd better fix up some of this stuff...

EDIT: Okay, fixed up those problems, apart from just min-maxing Sleight of Hand... Hmm...

Arbitrarity
2008-03-29, 07:21 PM
Not all of it is a massive issue, I just worry mainly about maxing out sleight of hand. (i.e. a 10'th level metagamer with +34ish sleight of hand isn't unreasonable to expect. That's without some sort of enhancing spell/item. I can just see a Factotum going into this class, and getting +38, +45 1/day, at level 17. Even at lower levels, he would have a massive score, what with Brawn over Brains. Then, of course, That Landed on a 20.

That Landed on a 20 has no reset time, and needs one (or at least, it's unclear). Is that per day?

The DC on That Landed on a 20 feels far too low.

Prehaps make Just Look at My Character Sheet last... a minute or so? Prehaps a Bluff check or somesuch to make it last longer? Alternatively, make its bonuses max at something, and require a Bluff check to make use of the higher stats or somesuch.

EDIT: Hmmm... interesting fix to Just Look at My Character Sheet. I'm not sure it's enough, but it's pretty good. Potent boosts don't last very long.

Now, how to block min-maxing sleight of hand....

Charlie Kemek
2008-03-29, 07:38 PM
ooh, make it so that if you fail the SoH check, they can make a bluff check to the DM, DC of the bluff=DC of SoH+amount missed by.

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-29, 07:57 PM
If you want to keep them from super Min-Maxing SoH, make it so that you can't put something past the max ranks you're supposed to have in a skill anyway...

Arbitrarity
2008-03-29, 08:00 PM
But that's silly. Maybe prevent any magical enhancements from working on SoH in relation to these skills?

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-29, 08:13 PM
Or maybe using some other skill as well? That's probably what I'll go with.

Arbitrarity
2008-03-29, 08:21 PM
Forced MAD? Could work. Bluff and SoH work well together. This prevents Brain over Brawns from dominating, for example.

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-29, 08:38 PM
There we go. Put in MAD. How is it now?

EDIT: Cool. Two pages.

Arbitrarity
2008-03-29, 08:57 PM
Not really. What you did instead was make the class much more accessible.

You can now enter at level 2. Make sure that the lowest level you want people to enter is (highest skill rank)-3. Also, I was thinking more along the lines of adding extra bluff checks to many of the abilities, though that might underpower them.

Charlie Kemek
2008-03-29, 09:13 PM
yea, make it 8 ranks in SoH & B, and also, how many skill points per level?

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-29, 10:13 PM
There. 8 ranks in both skills, and added a few checks.

DarknessLord
2008-03-30, 02:27 AM
Hmmmm...
I think that the requirement for taking this class should be having it written on your sheet for a certain amount of real time, without the DM really noticing, addition to the other requirements. I mean, if it’s a metagaming class, why not make it have a real life requirement, not some in-game check to fool a real-life person.

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-30, 04:37 AM
Hmmmm...
I think that the requirement for taking this class should be having it written on your sheet for a certain amount of real time, without the DM really noticing, addition to the other requirements. I mean, if it’s a metagaming class, why not make it have a real life requirement, not some in-game check to fool a real-life person.

Interesting idea. Except that when you have the XP to level the DM WILL ask you which class you want to level, so you can't stay unnoticed for long. Plus if the DM has allowed the class in the first place then he'll notice anyway if you try to write it on your sheet.